A DNA test for your pet?

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

Davinci the dog is a mystery, even to his vet. ''He looks like a manatee,'' said Jennifer Jellison of Banfield, the Pet Hospital, in North Canton.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jan 21, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joseph

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

There's a laboratory right here in OHIO. http://www.vetdnacenter.com

DDC does doggie DNA for much less... and it can be done with a cheek swab, it doesn't require a trip to the vet!

“Watch out, I might be angry...”

Since: Sep 07

North Ghetto Hill

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

you can get a DNA test kit for your dog from jeffer's pet ( jefferspet.com ) for $60....
Akron Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

This is so sad. It's an animal for goodness sake!!!
the truth is

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Akron Citizen wrote:
Wrong attitude. Different breeds need to be trained different ways. Why do the wrong thing by your pet if you can do the right thing for a few bucks?

If you have a dog who is "hunting" breeds and keep it locked up all day, you are hurting the dog.

Hopefully YOU don't have a dog. Please do dogs everywhere a favor and never get one.

Just a dog? I could find you link after link and person after person who knows that there is no such thing as "just a dog". My dog is my best pal. I rescued her from a shelter and she will live out her live (still a long life, I should add as she is only 2) running every day, playing, fetching... she is a hunter and needs to stay in touch with that though I do not hunt.

"Just a dog" type people need not apply.

“Take a stand!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

Akron Citizen wrote:
This is the same animal that will sniff out a bomb on a plane you are about to board. This is the same animal that serves in our military and as law enforcement officers. The same animal that will help track and locate a missing child. The same animal that assists our handicapped people in need of assistance, provides companionship for the elderly in nursing homes. These same animals gave their lives rescuing people from the rubble of 911. So if you need any more examples of what these "animals" do I'll be happy to provide them for you. Oh and lets not forget that the ownership of these animals puts 40 billion dollars back into our economy each year, so please think before you speak, education is your friend.

“Take a stand!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

the truth is wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong attitude. Different breeds need to be trained different ways. Why do the wrong thing by your pet if you can do the right thing for a few bucks?
If you have a dog who is "hunting" breeds and keep it locked up all day, you are hurting the dog.
Hopefully YOU don't have a dog. Please do dogs everywhere a favor and never get one.
Just a dog? I could find you link after link and person after person who knows that there is no such thing as "just a dog". My dog is my best pal. I rescued her from a shelter and she will live out her live (still a long life, I should add as she is only 2) running every day, playing, fetching... she is a hunter and needs to stay in touch with that though I do not hunt.
"Just a dog" type people need not apply.
From one rescuer to another.. Thank you :)
Akron Citizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

Judged:

You can site all the examples that you want, but its still an animal. There are lots of "uses" for animals....like...."food " for humans. It's sad when we treat animals like humans!!!! Get a real life!

“Take a stand!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

Akron Citizen wrote:
You can site all the examples that you want, but its still an animal. There are lots of "uses" for animals....like...."food " for humans. It's sad when we treat animals like humans!!!! Get a real life!
Oh I have a life sweety.. I can assure you it's not as misguided and uneducated as yours seems to be.. You know what's even more sad? When humans, such as yourself, appear to have less intelligence than most animals.. Good luck with that ;)

“Stupidity should be painful”

Since: Jun 08

Akron Area

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

Lanie wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I have a life sweety.. I can assure you it's not as misguided and uneducated as yours seems to be.. You know what's even more sad? When humans, such as yourself, appear to have less intelligence than most animals.. Good luck with that ;)
Bravo!!!

“Take a stand!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

San Jose Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>
Bravo!!!
Honestly, this type of mentality sickens me... This isn't China, and dogs are not used as a food source here. They have proven their importance to society and have prevailed in many areas where man could not. Showing them respect and caring for them does not mean we "treat them like humans". It means we are human, a caring and compassionate human at that.

Akron Area

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Lanie wrote:
<quoted text>Honestly, this type of mentality sickens me... This isn't China, and dogs are not used as a food source here. They have proven their importance to society and have prevailed in many areas where man could not. Showing them respect and caring for them does not mean we "treat them like humans". It means we are human, a caring and compassionate human at that.
And those that lose sight of the human element are going to be surprised when crime hits their neightborhood...

I applaud those that rescue. Formally I did not, but some part of me thinks I did. We have a bichon. Got him about 2 weeks before our first one died of cancer. Our little guy is 5 years old and got him from a "breeder" on an Amish Farm way out past Mansfield. After that we started reading about all the puppy mills in Amish Country. They were as Amish as they wanted to be as they placed an ad in the ABJ, had a telephone and the husband also worked in a factory nearby. The 3 little children only spoke German to their parents.. We did not go back to the barn where the puppies were. They brought a box of bichon puppies up to uss. We just wanted a little house pet, not for breed or show and he's been a real joy. Part of me wonders if we adopted him from a puppy mill. I guess I will always have that nagging thought in the back of my mind when we get Bichon puppies as that is always our puppy of choice...sjt

“Take a stand!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

<quoted text>
And those that lose sight of the human element are going to be surprised when crime hits their neightborhood...
I applaud those that rescue. Formally I did not, but some part of me thinks I did. We have a bichon. Got him about 2 weeks before our first one died of cancer. Our little guy is 5 years old and got him from a "breeder" on an Amish Farm way out past Mansfield. After that we started reading about all the puppy mills in Amish Country. They were as Amish as they wanted to be as they placed an ad in the ABJ, had a telephone and the husband also worked in a factory nearby. The 3 little children only spoke German to their parents.. We did not go back to the barn where the puppies were. They brought a box of bichon puppies up to uss. We just wanted a little house pet, not for breed or show and he's been a real joy. Part of me wonders if we adopted him from a puppy mill. I guess I will always have that nagging thought in the back of my mind when we get Bichon puppies as that is always our puppy of choice...sjt
Don't feel bad, you had no way of knowing.. Allot of people don't figure this out till they research it. The Amish are notorious for puppy mill breeding, Auctioning off unwanted dogs and several other animal issues center around their community. I can't figure out, when 12 million dogs die every year in shelters in this country, WHY aren't breeders regulated? Why isn't there mandatory spay and neuter laws? Allot of breeders (not all) but allot breed for untraceable money, with no regard to the animal of which they breed. I combat this by regularly turning breeders names and info over to the IRS. You can't beat the Tax man, and if he thinks for one minute you're making money and not paying taxes he will come collecting. I figure when enough breeders get hit with back taxes the message will get out there. The farm bill that passed a couple months ago stopped other countries from shipping puppies into the US for commercial sale, Thank God for that. It will help some with the over population in the US but it is only the beginning.

“Watch out, I might be angry...”

Since: Sep 07

North Ghetto Hill

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Judged:

Kant said "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".

and i agree, sometimes breed matters...if you have a herding dog (border collie, etc) you need to give them a job before they make one for themselves....it's also good to know for health reasons...if the dog has any shepherd in them you know to watch for hip issues...

gee, my dog even has a doggyspace.com page!

Akron Area

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Lanie wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel bad, you had no way of knowing.. Allot of people don't figure this out till they research it. The Amish are notorious for puppy mill breeding, Auctioning off unwanted dogs and several other animal issues center around their community. I can't figure out, when 12 million dogs die every year in shelters in this country, WHY aren't breeders regulated? Why isn't there mandatory spay and neuter laws? Allot of breeders (not all) but allot breed for untraceable money, with no regard to the animal of which they breed. I combat this by regularly turning breeders names and info over to the IRS. You can't beat the Tax man, and if he thinks for one minute you're making money and not paying taxes he will come collecting. I figure when enough breeders get hit with back taxes the message will get out there. The farm bill that passed a couple months ago stopped other countries from shipping puppies into the US for commercial sale, Thank God for that. It will help some with the over population in the US but it is only the beginning.
Great info.
When I moved to California and licensed my dog here, I had to prove neutering and the license fee was cheaper than had he not been. San Jose is a step in the right direction. If Bichons were PUPPIES at a shelter when I'm ready for another one, I would certainly look for that option. I guess fortunately, they usually don't end of in shelters as often as other breeds. At least they haven't been and I do hope that there is a positive reason for it...sjt

“Take a stand!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

<quoted text>
Great info.
When I moved to California and licensed my dog here, I had to prove neutering and the license fee was cheaper than had he not been. San Jose is a step in the right direction. If Bichons were PUPPIES at a shelter when I'm ready for another one, I would certainly look for that option. I guess fortunately, they usually don't end of in shelters as often as other breeds. At least they haven't been and I do hope that there is a positive reason for it...sjt
Oh they do.. There are allot of rescue groups that remove them and adopt them out.. What you do is Google the breed/rescue You'll find all kinds of different breeds that need homes purebreds and mixed breeds as well.

Akron Area

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Lanie wrote:
<quoted text>Oh they do.. There are allot of rescue groups that remove them and adopt them out.. What you do is Google the breed/rescue You'll find all kinds of different breeds that need homes purebreds and mixed breeds as well.
thank you...sjt
RU Kiddingme

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Judged:

I tried to give my dog a DNA test. He chewed it up. The #2 pencil too.

Akron Area

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Judged:

RU Kiddingme wrote:
ROFLAMO!!! Best one I've heard in over a week..Well Done...My hero!!...sjt

“Take a stand!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Judged:

RU Kiddingme wrote:
From what end did you try to test the dog? lol
RU Kiddingme

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Judged:

Lanie wrote:
<quoted text>From what end did you try to test the dog? lol
His brain. I gave him an essay test.

Compare and contrast.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Massillon Discussions

Search the Massillon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 9 min Pope Che Reagan Christ I 29,421
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 45 min gary 2,225
stephanie (reese) mccoy Tue wanting 1
ufo Jul 26 Mark 7
shemale sexting (Dec '12) Jul 24 courious 39
naughty girls (Sep '13) Jul 24 joh 11
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill a Spook 231
•••
•••
•••
•••

Massillon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Massillon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••