2/26/13 cop shoots attacking pit

2/26/13 cop shoots attacking pit

Posted in the Massena Forum

CD Dont Work

Hudson, NY

#3 Mar 4, 2013
Little Red’s adoption becomes final

More than four years after Little Red came to Best Friends from the dogfighting ring that operated on NFL quarterback Michael Vick’s property, she has been officially adopted.

Susan, a longtime Best Friends supporter from the Midwest, saw Little Red’s photo not long after she arrived at the Utah animal sanctuary — one of 22 former Vick dogs sent to Best Friends for rehabilitation.

“There was something about her eyes,” said Susan who became a sponsor of Little Red, contributing to her care at Best Friends.

A year after that, Susan visited Best Friends with her sister. She hoped to meet Little Red then, but wasn’t allowed to because all of the former Vick dogs were court-ordered to be kept apart from all non-staff at the sanctuary.

A year later, Susan was back again, and by this time, Little Red had moved to an area where Susan could at least see her from a distance.

Still another year later, in February 2011, Susan returned to volunteer again. This time, she was able to volunteer where Little Red lived, but still wasn’t allowed to interact with her directly.

But she did get to see her every day, for a week.

After that week, Susan began wondering about the possibility of bringing Little Red home with her, and she applied to adopt her.

Last September, Susan was cleared to take Little Red home as a foster dog. According to court orders, all former Vick dogs have to first be fostered for a period of six months before they can be adopted.

Last month, those six months came to an end, and Susan recently returned to Best Friends with Little Red to fill out the final adoption paperwork.

“She’s done fabulously well,” Susan says.

It took a little while for Little Red to feel confident in her new surroundings. She was leery of the wide-open spaces on Susan’s six-acre, fenced property. For weeks, she stayed next to the fence. Now though, Little Red makes full use of the space, and enjoys playing with Susan’s other four dogs.

“She runs like the wind!” Susan said.
Annie

Yorkville, NY

#6 Mar 4, 2013
http://www.ourpack.org/personality.html

Pit Bull Personality
**These traits are attributed to American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Pit Bull Terriers (also called "pit bulls") by the AKC and UKC.**
Your dog may not have all of these traits, or may vary in some fashion. Your dog's personality can also change with experiences (good or bad) or with maturity. He may also be a mix. Each dog is an individual. Socialization, training, and management is always helpful.
Traits we see in the pit bull personality:
• Highly affectionate toward people, even strangers and
children
• Loves physical affection and attention
• Never redirects aggression on humans even during
times of high arousal
• Confident and not anxious (calm, cool, and collected)
• Obedient; eager to please
• Balanced, emotionally stable
• Submissive but not to a point of lacking confidence or
being fearful
• A certain amount of reactivity or sensitivity toward other dogs is normal and acceptable in a pit bull and in many breeds of dogs
Traits that aren't expected in pit bulls:
• Fearful
• Nervous or "stressed out"
• Intolerant of handling or touching - avoids affection
from humans or tries to get away
• Aloof
• Territorial around humans; resource guarding
• Aggressive toward humans
• Willing to redirect aggression on humans when highly
aroused
• Overly aroused with no "off switch"
• Extremely mouthy
More on Dog-to-Dog Issues:
Dog directed aggression and human-aggression are entirely unrelated. They are completely separate behaviors and do not cross over. Some dogs (especially well-socialized ones) may always be social with other dogs throughout their lives while others will have minor to severe levels of dog-to-dog issues, even if they have been well socialized. Those that show leash reactivity can be trained to be calm around other dogs while on-leash. Pit bulls that have issues with other dogs can be very manageable. Each individual dog should be evaluated based on his own level of reactions to dogs, not because of his breed. Additionally, the human connection that pit bulls have is very helpful in managing reactions to dogs as they aim to please us. Over-the-top or extreme dog-to-dog aggression is not expected or acceptable in pit bulls. In any multi-pet household, you should always separate your companion animals when you leave. When there’s no one around for guidance and structure they can get into all sorts of trouble.

Marthina McClay, CPDT
Animal Behavior College Mentor Trainer
Certified Tester/Observer for Therapy Dogs, Inc.
AKC Certified CGC Evaluator
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#19 Mar 4, 2013
Steve wrote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/...
Science News
New Insight Into Dogs' Fear Responses to Noise
Feb. 18, 2013 — A study has gained new insight into domestic dogs' fear responses to noises. The behavioural response by dogs to noises can be extreme in nature, distressing for owners and a welfare issue for dogs.
Share This:
The research by academics from the School of Veterinary Sciences at the University of Bristol, and funded by the RSPCA, is published in Applied Animal Behaviour Science. The study provides an important insight into dogs' fear of noises, and could improve our understanding of behavioural signs of fear or anxiety.
In the study two approaches were taken to investigate the occurrence of, and risk factors for, these behaviours: a postal survey of dog owners to investigate general demographic factors
NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF DOGS TO LOUD NOISES ISN'T TO SAVAGELY MAUL OR KILL SOMEONE

Insights from Behaviorists
DogsBite.org along with commenters have become alarmed at the misleading rationale that a "normal" response by a "noise-sensitive" dog is to attack and kill a family member when under the duress of loud sounds, like the crack of thunder. It is even more disconcerting that a police captain is echoing this false rationale provided by the dog's owner. One wonders if the dog had busted through the front door and killed a neighboring child, if police would be so easily misled?

DogsBite.org reaches out to animal behaviorists Gary Wilkes and Alexandra Semyonova:
Gary Wilkes
The most common reaction of a noise-sensitive dog in the presence of loud noises is to run from the sound or "hole up." If the noise does not go away, they may frantically bite and claw through sheet-rock or sheet metal to try to escape…whether an exit beyond the obstacle would lead to safety or not. Once free of its cage, a normal dog would likely maintain its panicked attempts at flight or solicit comfort from a known human. The behavior of this dog is the opposite of what one would expect. Instead of becoming fearfully aroused it apparently became violently aroused. It has been suggested that the noise caused this dog to attack a human being. If true, I cannot understand why that would extenuate its behavior. It would seem to me that this explanation makes pit bulls many times more dangerous than any other type of dog. "Occam’s Razor" is a logical test of assumptions. It states that if there are two explanations for something, pick the more simple of the two. In this case, adding the thunder aspect seems to be an attempt to mask the dog's history of violence and breed type. If an English pointer stands fixated at a parakeet perched in a cage, the simplest explanation is that the dog is a pointer. The simplest conclusion in this case is that the dog is a Pit Bull Terrier with a history of breed-specific behavior and unchecked violence.1
Gary Wilkes is an internationally acclaimed animal behaviorist, trainer, author, columnist and lecturer. View additional posts by Gary Wilkes.
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#20 Mar 4, 2013
Alexandra Semyonova
A normal dog who is afraid of thunder, fireworks, marching bands, or other loud noises will panic and try to flee or hide. The normal dog in this state of panic becomes deaf and blind to things in its surroundings, interested only in escaping the noise. It won't take treats, won't be comforted, won't engage in any social interactions (including fighting). All it wants to do is get away from the noise. Every fiber of its being is concentrated on that and only that. People who own normal dogs don't need to worry that their dog will suddenly attack and kill them because there's stormy weather outside.
Pit bulls are different. Deathly fear or total panic is a state of high arousal. It's well known that the pit bull doesn't compose a socially appropriate response to various kinds of arousal. They often react to any type of arousal by starting to unfold their genetically determined, breed-specific, sustained attack behavior. They often do this if they get excited during what started as play with another dog, during attempts to mate, or even during a petting session if the pit bull gets too excited about the human affection it's receiving. Startle is also known to trigger the genetic program the pit bull carries -- for example, an owner slipping on the ice. If this pit bull's reaction was related to hearing thunder, then it can only be in the sense that the thunder, like any startle or arousal, triggered a highly breed-specific reaction that only the pit-bull type dog will show.
This pit bull already had a history of aggression. It had already shown it reacted to various triggers by executing its breed-specific behavior. I'm not sure why Captain Nelson would feel so sure that this time the trigger was hearing thunder. It's not clear why that would -- even if accurate -- somehow excuse not only the behavior of this pit bull, but also of all the others that attack in response to a stimulus that would cause any other dog to flee, to mate, or to bring its owner a favorite toy. The key to understanding this case isn't in pinpointing what the trigger for the pit bull was this time. We'll never know. It could just as well have been that this woman sneezed. The key to understanding this case lies in acknowledging that any kind of arousal in a pit bull can be fatal.
The idea that this woman's stay in the hospital played some role is also ridiculous. When a known person comes home after an absence, even carrying unusual scents from a strange place, a dog still recognizes that person. The normal reaction is to be glad to see a friend who was gone for awhile. Normal dogs will show interest in the new smells, a kind of 'hey, where ya been?' interest. If one of the new smells makes a dog anxious (for example, it reminds him of how the vet's office smells), the normal dog will move away or hide ('you're not taking me to the vet today if you can't find me!'). People change their clothes, that kind of smell subsides quickly But it is in any case not a normal reaction to become highly aggressive and execute a sustained, killing attack just because someone has been gone for awhile or smells a bit odd.
The only baffling thing about this case is why so many people, even a police captain, are so anxious to blame pit bull behavior on anything and everything except hundreds of years of selecting for highly breed-specific sudden killing behavior. The problem here wasn't thunder, and it wasn't that this woman had been in the hospital. The problem here was that the dog was a pit bull.2
fihhid

Rochester, PA

#21 Mar 4, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
Whats the Beef?
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#23 Mar 4, 2013
ban coconuts wrote:
holy crap I dont have that kind of time to read all this !!!!! can you rewrite it and shorten it up as best you can? I promise to come back and scroll by it call you a tool in the end and then chuckle as you entertain me with your outright lies....
you have never caught me outright lying about pits like i have caught you many many times - have you figured out whether or not you own a pit yet - outright liar
CD Dont Work

Hudson, NY

#25 Mar 5, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
People who live in glass houses, OCD. I read your posts on other topics, too. You've no right to criticize anyone. Remember the lesson of pointing fingers?
I agree Steve. Have you noticed, almost all of the people who were arrested for drugs and have posted on Topix, post from Carthage. Hmmm Isn't it odd that OCD was not around for the weekend. Cleaning your house OCD? With your wonderful personality there must be someone who would smile if you got busted.
Eman Resu

Syracuse, NY

#26 Mar 5, 2013
Official Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4.2.2 Update (JDQ39) Leaks, Ready to Download and Flash Now.

It's been a long, long time coming, but the official Android 4.2 update for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is here. The black sheep of the Nexus family has waited for four months to get updated to the latest release, and while Verizon is currently testing the software for a probable release later this week or month, you don't have to wait that long. Long-time Android tipster WinDroidGuy got his hot hands on the update ZIP package, and eager users can download it right now.

The 4.2.2 JDQ39 package is an update, not a standalone image, so in order to run it you'll need to be using the official Android 4.1.1 build JRO03O (you know, the one that was released to AOSP four updates ago). If you're one of the many, many Verizon users on custom ROMs, including AOSP-based ROMs, you'll have to first install the older version. You can then flash the new ZIP file via a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or by using the more technical ADB sideload method with a PC.
Posted by Jeremiah Rice in Galaxy Nexus, News, Verizon Wireless
CD Dont Work

Hudson, NY

#30 Mar 5, 2013
ban coconuts wrote:
time bomb on legs wrote:
<quoted text>no but you can bash people on another thread for not showing sympathy for a small business owner burned out on maple st - HYPOCRITICAL IDIOT
well of course I care about the small business man in our little town. of course I show sympathy for him and his family. The guy in tim buck twp that got to close to a stranger pit and wound up bit isnt the guy thats going to fix my car now is he ? apples and oranges you tool. unlike you I can show sympathy for such a person in my town. If you had half a brain you would realize that this small business man paid his taxes so YOU could have a fridge full of food and a computor to play on all day while he's out providing for his family as well as your cottage cheese ass...toool
Ban Coconuts you are not giving enough credit to OCD. It is a small business person. Remember it told us that it does not do the work, it hires people to do it. I thought it was a pimp but it said no and we kind of left it but I think we should have thought a little harder. There is another business where the "boss" earns the money for what his little runners do. Wonder how long it will take for one of he kids to rat him out? no one wants to go to jail at 17
Annie

New York, NY

#31 Mar 5, 2013
CD Dont Work wrote:
<quoted text>
Ban Coconuts you are not giving enough credit to OCD. It is a small business person. Remember it told us that it does not do the work, it hires people to do it. I thought it was a pimp but it said no and we kind of left it but I think we should have thought a little harder. There is another business where the "boss" earns the money for what his little runners do. Wonder how long it will take for one of he kids to rat him out? no one wants to go to jail at 17
I don't know. You spoke of investigating in another thread, and I think it could be interesting. I said before that OCD could be a meth head, judging from the attitude and lack of punctuation. Perhaps she was away for a week because someone official took down her lab.
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#32 Mar 5, 2013
ban coconuts wrote:
time bomb on legs wrote:
<quoted text>no but you can bash people on another thread for not showing sympathy for a small business owner burned out on maple st - HYPOCRITICAL IDIOT
well of course I care about the small business man in our little town. of course I show sympathy for him and his family. The guy in tim buck twp that got to close to a stranger pit and wound up bit isnt the guy thats going to fix my car now is he ? apples and oranges you tool. unlike you I can show sympathy for such a person in my town. If you had half a brain you would realize that this small business man paid his taxes so YOU could have a fridge full of food and a computor to play on all day while he's out providing for his family as well as your cottage cheese ass...toool
so as long as it isn't your 7 yr old ripped to shreds by a frankenmauler then it's ok - how pathetic of an individual can you be this is exactly why bsl is needed to keep people like you from owning pits you are on here just as much as me if not more so according to your argument you are nothing but a welfare rat yourself - HYPOCRITICAL IDIOT - keep outright lying like you did several times about whether or not you own a pit it really proves your low character as did this post - hopefully one day it isn't your grandchild because you are bringing a whole boat load of karma to your door - idiot
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#33 Mar 5, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
People who live in glass houses, OCD. I read your posts on other topics, too. You've no right to criticize anyone. Remember the lesson of pointing fingers?
you don't read my posts on other topics because i RARELY post on other topics plenty of people have a carthage location unlike you me again ban coconuts eman resu and the "rest of you" - nice try - remember the lesson of telling outright lies all the time and getting busted for it repeatedly
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#34 Mar 5, 2013
CD Dont Work wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree Steve. Have you noticed, almost all of the people who were arrested for drugs and have posted on Topix, post from Carthage. Hmmm Isn't it odd that OCD was not around for the weekend. Cleaning your house OCD? With your wonderful personality there must be someone who would smile if you got busted.
erxcept for annies brother who has pictures of judge richards snorting coke off the coffee table you idiots don't even realize your locations are only attributed to you albany malone hastings nobody on here posts with those locations but you guys ddduuuuuuuhhhhhhh and seeing most pit owners are deviant criminals i'm sure it's all of you that do drugs and molest children because pit owners are more likely to abuse children than the general public and their are a few studies that prove it
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#35 Mar 5, 2013
ban coconuts wrote:
lmao
ocd did that smack across your filthy lying face hurt???? roflmao oh this guy is good
that wasn't a lie like i have caught you telling several times remember how many times i caught you lying about whether or not you own a pit now that's a SMACK - idiot just because the location of the attack was miscommunicated doesn't mean the attack didn't happen - so it's not a lie any 5th grader could put that together annie's post of the retraction proves it did happen so if anything she SMACKED her self if the pitnutters forced a retraction over the location surly they would have forced a retraction over the attack being false - dddddduuuuuuuuuhhhhh - idiot - and don't forget the number of coconut deaths that you proved yourself was an outright lie now there's a SMACK - IDIOT
closed casket dogs

Auburn, NY

#36 Mar 5, 2013
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. You spoke of investigating in another thread, and I think it could be interesting. I said before that OCD could be a meth head, judging from the attitude and lack of punctuation. Perhaps she was away for a week because someone official took down her lab.
all wild unsubstantiated claims to distract from the documented verifiable truth about pitbulls - you stated yourself your brother is a coke head - idiot - no one else posts on massena topix with a malone location - idiot - now stop lamely trying to distract from the truth about pitbulls and discuss the topic of the thread or pits in general - coward - afraid i'll prove you to be outright lying even more than i already have - if you were right about pits you wouldn't have to stoop to character assassination tactics people who are right don't have to do that the can debate a subject intelligently not act like a 5th grader - now stay on topic or prove me right even more - coward
Annie

New York, NY

#37 Mar 5, 2013
closed casket dogs wrote:
<quoted text>all wild unsubstantiated claims to distract from the documented verifiable truth about pitbulls - you stated yourself your brother is a coke head - idiot - no one else posts on massena topix with a malone location - idiot - now stop lamely trying to distract from the truth about pitbulls and discuss the topic of the thread or pits in general - coward - afraid i'll prove you to be outright lying even more than i already have - if you were right about pits you wouldn't have to stoop to character assassination tactics people who are right don't have to do that the can debate a subject intelligently not act like a 5th grader - now stay on topic or prove me right even more - coward
Who might my brother be, and where have I posted that? As I have no brother, I guess you are really threatened. Oh, you're also an outright LIAR!
Annie

New York, NY

#38 Mar 5, 2013
closed casket dogs wrote:
<quoted text>erxcept for annies brother who has pictures of judge richards snorting coke off the coffee table you idiots don't even realize your locations are only attributed to you albany malone hastings nobody on here posts with those locations but you guys ddduuuuuuuhhhhhhh and seeing most pit owners are deviant criminals i'm sure it's all of you that do drugs and molest children because pit owners are more likely to abuse children than the general public and their are a few studies that prove it
Who's my brother, OCD? You don't want to be proven a liar again, do you? I have no brother, and have never even gotten a traffic ticket. Feeling the heat, are you? You're really reaching.
Loves Pits

New Hartford, NY

#41 Mar 6, 2013
If you don't reply to these posts they will just move down the page and less people will read them.
Pitbulls

Massena, NY

#42 Mar 9, 2013
fihhid wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=qfuAprYAPM c …
Whats the Beef?
The only good pitbull is a dead one.Kill them all off!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dump trump 1 min Welfies 105
What happened? 6 min Famous people 6
News Massena town supervisor wants three individuals... 2 hr Hmm 16
massena arena 3 hr stir things up a ... 6
alcoa to cease all operations in 2018 (Aug '13) 4 hr Brick 162
NYS Corrections Officers (Feb '11) 7 hr Wifey 187
Furnace repair Wed Joe 8

Massena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance