"surveillance cameras"
Get Real

Ithaca, NY

#21 Jun 18, 2012
pay for themselves wrote:
<quoted text>The cameras will pay for themselves in no time and will add to the coffers from fines and surcharges. they have been used elsewhere for several years. They are not unconstitutional or they would have been deemed so by now. Quit complaining and get used to it.
Responsible citizens will never quit complaining about this kind of BS. People like yourself, irresponsible and dependent on the government for every little thing (even what to think), should get used to the fact that we do live in a democracy and most people value liberty and privacy very highly. You are confused and think that the government is the country. It is not. The citizens are the country. Wake up and take care of you and yours by guarding the Constitution, as it is under attack by the government.
The point is, we can reduce crime by allowing the economy to flourish instead of killing it for the sake of a few fat cats. Everybody seems to want cameras, drones, wiretapping, tougher laws, tougher fines, loss of the 4th Amendment, the recording of every single phone call and internet browser activity, but nobody wants to get the jobless back to work. Why sink all this money into crap that does nothing to protect anything when we could change some policy and get US jobs back, reduce crime, and get back on track?
You people won't be happy until you are all chipped. You nothingtohides definitely won't have anything to hide then.
Get Real

Ithaca, NY

#22 Jun 18, 2012
In case you don't know, all citizens are considered potential terrorists. There is a lot of data on this put out by think tanks and research groups that work for DHS. One notice even labels remote control airplane enthusiasts as potential terrorists and that their activities show be monitored. Same with people who use cash instead of credit, take pictures in public, talk to the police, take notes in public, and a slew of more innocuous things.
It won't be long until citizens ARE the enemy. That is why they are slowly pulling the rug out- while slowly turning up the heat in the frying pan. Only observant people can see this, most others cannot be shaken from their waking slumber to see, or they refuse to see it, because they do not want to. Hiding under your blankets will not save you. Soon you will need to face it, and life in America will change like you never thought it could.
reality

Syracuse, NY

#23 Jun 18, 2012
common sense wrote:
Those who would surrender an ounce of freedom for the sake of safety deserve neither.- Benjamin Franklin
I suppose he was an idiot too.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
This is the actual quote, not quite the same as your interpretation.
Get Real

Ithaca, NY

#24 Jun 18, 2012

FBI wants you to watch for signs of terrorism among your fellow Americans. Here is a link to all of the 25 flyers the FBI sent out to US businesses. If you read them you will say "this is ridiculous" "I do these things". Then you should realize where all this is headed.

http://publicintelligence.net/fbi-suspicious-...
reality

Syracuse, NY

#25 Jun 18, 2012
what the hell wrote:
What in the hell are you people up here allowing...You "taxpayer" payed for them "cameras" and they aren't gonna tell you where they are...Apalling!!! and this Tim Currier what a lier; Orginally he had no clue about ANY CAMERAS...then in paper different story...don't be FOOLS!!!
This is not about the license plate cameras on telephone poles. Different issue, they are saying where these are going.
reality

Syracuse, NY

#26 Jun 18, 2012
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Responsible citizens will never quit complaining about this kind of BS. People like yourself, irresponsible and dependent on the government for every little thing (even what to think), should get used to the fact that we do live in a democracy and most people value liberty and privacy very highly. You are confused and think that the government is the country. It is not. The citizens are the country. Wake up and take care of you and yours by guarding the Constitution, as it is under attack by the government.
The point is, we can reduce crime by allowing the economy to flourish instead of killing it for the sake of a few fat cats. Everybody seems to want cameras, drones, wiretapping, tougher laws, tougher fines, loss of the 4th Amendment, the recording of every single phone call and internet browser activity, but nobody wants to get the jobless back to work. Why sink all this money into crap that does nothing to protect anything when we could change some policy and get US jobs back, reduce crime, and get back on track?
You people won't be happy until you are all chipped. You nothingtohides definitely won't have anything to hide then.
It is fine to disagree with the use of the cameras in public locations, but it does not violate any part of the constitution. The people still need to guard against abuses if the cameras are used to violate privacy, but in a public setting courts have already established that there should not be any reasonable expectation of privacy.
what the hell

Utica, NY

#27 Jun 18, 2012
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not about the license plate cameras on telephone poles. Different issue, they are saying where these are going.
I never mentioned anything about license plate cameras......Tim was quoted for that one!!! Recheck your facts!
Reality

Ithaca, NY

#28 Jun 18, 2012
Forthought wrote:
Having a job doesn't necessarily deter crime either. What is your view in all the drug related crime in this area? If only these opiate addicts running rampant through the North Country had a decent job then society would be safe from their addiction driven criminality? If only life were that easy. A good economy certainly has an effect on crime as there are more avenues to the "success ladder.". However, if that were the sole cure crime would have virtually been eliminated during America's boom eras. It is unfortunate that we require cameras to do today what American's considered their civic duty up do in the past.
1) Prohibition does not work. People still use whatever is prohibited. We tried this with alcohol and all it did was create the mafia.
2) Prohibition creates crime by giving drug dealers lots of money. Also the fact that dealers and their buyers cause violence over the illegal drugs.
3) 40 years on, over $1 trillion spent, the War on Drugs is a failure. illicit drug use has increased, not decreased since 1971. Kicking this dead horse will not make it live.
4) The War on drugs in unfair to marijuana users as it is a safe alternative to alcohol which is legal and regulated. Regulating marijuana use would save $87 billion per year on law enforcement and generate millions in tax dollars.
5)
Reality

Ithaca, NY

#29 Jun 18, 2012
Forthought wrote:
Having a job doesn't necessarily deter crime either. What is your view in all the drug related crime in this area? If only these opiate addicts running rampant through the North Country had a decent job then society would be safe from their addiction driven criminality? If only life were that easy. A good economy certainly has an effect on crime as there are more avenues to the "success ladder.". However, if that were the sole cure crime would have virtually been eliminated during America's boom eras. It is unfortunate that we require cameras to do today what American's considered their civic duty up do in the past.

Unemployment and drug use are related. People with living wage jobs are less likely to sell their prescriptions or use drugs. I'm sorry, that is just the facts. If you cannot see the connection you should try thinking. Besides, prohibition creates more crime than anything else. Want to reduce crime? Regulate (for example) marijuana so kids cannot get it easier than beer or cigs. That is why so many kids use pot. It is available everywhere and impossible to stop. You would need to surround the entire country in a pot-proof bubble to stop from coming in, and if that happened, more people here would grow it. So the idea that you can ever stop drug use is a fantasy dreamed everyday by the law enforcement bureaucracy that sucks billions of our tax dollars down the drain.
It is unfortunate that Americans are so stupid and gullible that they have no personal responsibility and require the federal government to wipe their asses with the Constitution.
no sense can be made

Ithaca, NY

#30 Jun 18, 2012
Parker bridge is crumbling away, but let's build a DHS fortress! Amherst and East Hatfield are strewn with pot holes, but lets put up cameras! There is nothing for kids to do in this town, but let's egive hick town police bullet proof vests and super-SUVs painted black with black windows and all kinds of equipment to catch some schmuck with some pot!
Reality

Syracuse, NY

#31 Jun 18, 2012
Cameras at public parks to deter or catch vandals make a DHS fortress?
Reality

Syracuse, NY

#32 Jun 18, 2012
what the hell wrote:
<quoted text>
I never mentioned anything about license plate cameras......Tim was quoted for that one!!! Recheck your facts!
The paper listed three or four locations they would going, public parks that I remember off the top of my head.
Reality

Syracuse, NY

#33 Jun 18, 2012
Try to challenge this on constitutionality, nothing is stopping you. I don't think you can win this one, but if you feel strongly enough give it a shot.
Professor

Ithaca, NY

#34 Jun 18, 2012
I don't think anyone really understands, which is scary. Amazing that citizens have been dumbed down so much in the last 50 yrs. They simply do not understand the principle, let alone the document on which our country was founded. And they don't care to.
The cameras are unwarranted eavesdropping. They do not watch private property. Even if this is not Unconstitutional, it is definitely a step away from it. Why would anyone support that? But, there are more dangerous crimes against the Constitution, like the Patriot Act, NDAA 2012, The drone programs that summarily executes US citizens, etc etc etc. The fourth amendment has been effectively neutered (nothing in it about unwarranted eavesdropping in public). It states:

*The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,(Patriot Act destroyed that, and it is only used for drug busts) and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.(NDAA nullified this, they only need to label you a "terrorist" and you have no rights)*

Yes, nothing about cameras in public, I guess the founders overlooked it, huh? But look at what NDAA, the Patriot Act, and so many other laws have taken away from you.

These cameras are just another turd thrown into the shitstorm. Another degree higher for the frog in the frying pan. If they keep pushing, sooner or later something will break the camel's back. You may want to quit your support of fascism and their foul propaganda and grow a spine. It is your duty.
Professor

Ithaca, NY

#35 Jun 18, 2012
mean to add the Fifth and Sixth Amendment as these were nullified by NDAA 2012:

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
Massena PD

Saranac Lake, NY

#36 Jun 19, 2012
laughing inside wrote:
I see Massena are getting surveillance cameras. I wonder if they have thought about putting some up near the corner of Maple and N Main Streets. Theres a whole lot of drug dealing go on, both residential and commercial properties in that area. Attach "2" to a tree, one aimed at the deli and the other aimed at the apt. bldg. right next door. To the Massena Police Dept....go gettum boys.
Tell ya what, you pay for the cameras, the maintenance for the cameras, installation costs etc.. Then we'll THINK about it. We'll also need you to cover court costs, legal fees, and pay a team of lawyers to protect us from the inevitable court cases and lawsuits that would come when we start videotaping people on their private property. Oh, and can you also cover the payouts to the plaintiffs when we lose our case, as well as there lawyer fees we will most likely be ordered to pay. We'll need to get this all on paper, signed and notarized. Thanks.
Massena PD

Saranac Lake, NY

#37 Jun 19, 2012
more cams wrote:
put cameras on every street and lock the scum up for life
k,can you help us pay for this crap 'cause the whole damn state is broke, we'll just need about all of your paychecks for the rest of your life.
Massena PD

Saranac Lake, NY

#38 Jun 19, 2012
pay for themselves wrote:
<quoted text>The cameras will pay for themselves in no time and will add to the coffers from fines and surcharges. they have been used elsewhere for several years. They are not unconstitutional or they would have been deemed so by now. Quit complaining and get used to it.
Yeah people, get used to it. I can't believe you guys don't have cameras attached to your foreheads and the images beamed directly to law enforcement so they can track your every move. Come on people, get with the program, I LOVE it when the gov't. knows what I'm doing and where I'm at all the time, makes me feel "free"! lmao
mad dog uni

Ithaca, NY

#39 Jun 19, 2012
poca a poco,baby steps,a little stream doesn't cut a path through a mighty mountain overnite,it just keeps ever so slowly eroding the stone away,until it has cut a path clear through the mountain.just a little each and everyday,but never so much to notice a difference.
common sense

Earlville, NY

#40 Jun 20, 2012
reality wrote:
<quoted text>Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)
This is the actual quote, not quite the same as your interpretation.
oh because I was way off on the interpretation. Apparently what you got from Ben Franklin was roll over and surrender.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Confidential informant AKA drug smuggler 1 hr I know 1
Town and Country Vet - Massena 2 hr Lmao 8
News Massena man turning former Sears store into a H... 10 hr Matty 5
Trump's finances being investigated Sun You are an idiot 305
Lowering taxes Sat Work for free 3
NY Post article: "Dying towns like Massena" Sep 23 Bill 6
News Lack of disposal site for brush, leaves concern... Sep 23 whom1 2

Massena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance