Time Warner Cable update problems

Posted in the Massena Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cyclops

Lake Placid, NY

#1 Jun 26, 2010
Is anyone having any trouble with the recent Time Warner cable upgrades that took place? My DVR is working very weird now and it erased all of my saved shows.
gamer

Massena, NY

#2 Jun 28, 2010
OMG...The new program sucks big time. You are right...the shows that were previously set to record are now all messed up and searching from day to day is more inconvenient. Have you tried setting the new one up to record a series yet? Sometimes it gives you the "record series" option and sometimes you only have the "record series options" which only allows you to "record the new episodes and reruns" option, and not just the new episodes. Where you used to be able to pause the picture and then zoom it in, you now can't do. The display used to go away on the old one after being paused and the new one won't..so if you want to pause it to see if the ref or ump made the right call you will have the pop up display in the way and you won't be able to zoom it in. The reaction time is slower and it's harder to get around the programs. Not very user friendly. What a disappointment it has been.
candycane

Ithaca, NY

#3 Jun 29, 2010
I've used Tivo since 1999 and it is the best DVR out there -- and it's the original technology. All other DVRs are a rip-off of Tivo, and have done a poor job implementing it. Tivo hooks right up to the cable box, no need to fuss with Time Warner's goofy guide or lame recording capabilities.

Since: Dec 09

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jun 29, 2010
There is a new software update for TWDVR it seems to be faster moving through the guide. All DVR's are spinoffs of Tivo if they use a hard disk drive. TW, DirectTv, Dishnetwork , pay royalties to Tivo. Some are simpler than others. Just like anything else new there will be bugs to be worked out and enhancements to be added. I had no troubles with my recorded shows in the transition from old to new and I like the features in the new guide. Gamer, seriously what would you zoom in on? A few years ago when the old walmart was out by the mall you could buy a DVD Recorder/DVR but can't get them any longer because of patent infringement lawsuits brought forth by Tivo.
Terry

Durham, NC

#5 Jul 7, 2010
Time Warners new Cable update SUCKS!!!!! I can not find out what movies are on TONIGHT that do not cost anything. I can not block Adult titles so my kids don't have to see "Lezbo wild lips" when they are searching for a program. I have been holding out for a reason to go to Direct TV - I am sad to say I have found it.

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jul 8, 2010
Terry wrote:
Time Warners new Cable update SUCKS!!!!! I can not find out what movies are on TONIGHT that do not cost anything. I can not block Adult titles so my kids don't have to see "Lezbo wild lips" when they are searching for a program. I have been holding out for a reason to go to Direct TV - I am sad to say I have found it.
If you can't figure this TW guide out, you'll never get tivo to work.
You CAN block titles through PARENTAL CONTROLS. Press Guide, Press the "A" button for settings and at the bottom scroll over to Parental controls. The movies are also not hard to find. You just have to get used to it. TW customer service will also walk you through it step by step.
candycane

Ithaca, NY

#7 Jul 10, 2010
One feature that seems to be missing is the power-on option where the box turns ON upon channel change. It went away with the upgrade. This is handy with Tivo -- so when Tivo does a channel change to record, the box turns ON (if OFF). I've looked all over settings and cannot find this feature. Anyone?

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Jul 11, 2010
Have you tried the power on / power off / reminder timers in settings?
candycane

Ithaca, NY

#9 Jul 11, 2010
Droopy Draws wrote:
Have you tried the power on / power off / reminder timers in settings?
Will look at those again -- thanks.
Whoo Dat

New York, NY

#10 Jul 14, 2010
the new update is useless. can no longer record series. all previously scheduled recordings are gone. Time Warner needs to fix their system ASAP

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jul 15, 2010
Whoo Dat wrote:
the new update is useless. can no longer record series. all previously scheduled recordings are gone. Time Warner needs to fix their system ASAP
you most certainly CAN record series.
John

Ellenville, NY

#12 Jul 14, 2012
The new cable guide is ridiculously slow and undependable. We do very little with our remote, like turn it on, surf the channels and pick one - and it is now impossible. Is there any fix for this???????
FRUSTRATED

Saranac Lake, NY

#13 Jul 15, 2012
I have watched people die faster than the channel guide reacts ! Am almost to the point of chucking the whole thing & going with Dish Network. Maybe if they get hit hard enough, by enough subscribers, their wallet will start to hurt & something might happen ?
Stan

Brasher Falls, NY

#14 Jul 15, 2012
I have heard the same thing...frustrating.
Customer

Ithaca, NY

#15 Jul 15, 2012
I've tried threatening to leave Time warner they don't care. Half the channels don't come in and the other half seem to be choppy. When my year contract is done with them i may go to dish myself. as much as time warner charges you'd think theyd be able to get there shit straightened
hopethishelps

Ithaca, NY

#16 Jul 15, 2012
if your channels are choppy or don't come in.... they need to come out and test the signal with all your connections. it's likely you have a low signal from a bad cable, or bad splitter, etc... all of that can be fixed. so far as the guide goes, get tivo and you'll be much happier overall because it has intelligent dvr and excellent guide interface. tivo also integreates with netflix, hulu, amazon and connect to your home computer.
honkydonkey

Saranac Lake, NY

#17 Jul 16, 2012
Customer wrote:
I've tried threatening to leave Time warner they don't care. Half the channels don't come in and the other half seem to be choppy. When my year contract is done with them i may go to dish myself. as much as time warner charges you'd think theyd be able to get there shit straightened
I've not heard about anyone ever having to sign a contract for cable, Dish Network and DirectTv yes but not cable. It's likely that your current billing price is locked in for a year but I doubt you are under a "contract".
PLG

Potsdam, NY

#18 Jul 16, 2012
It's called the Price Lock Guarantee and it is indeed a two year contract. If you read the fine print you will see that there is a cancellation fee if you leave Time Warner before the two years is up.
honkydonkey wrote:
<quoted text>I've not heard about anyone ever having to sign a contract for cable, Dish Network and DirectTv yes but not cable. It's likely that your current billing price is locked in for a year but I doubt you are under a "contract".
useless

Park Ridge, NJ

#19 Jul 16, 2012
You can cancel your service with TWC at any time. The 12month or 24month period you are referring is just their offer for price guarantees. And if you as me thats just to get you in the door bc after that the prices go up & up and the quality goes downnnn! They may charge a fee to turn everything off (but several years back I moved & turned off my service. They simply turned it off. But you are required to return the box within a certain amount of time or be charged for it.) I currently subscribe to TWC, and find it ridiculous that I pay close to $200 for cable, Internet, & phone... & my Internet (secured), is constantly is going offline. My phone randomly cuts off and I have to call back all the time. My cable box freezes mid show- mid-screen, mid-guide (which requires it to be unplugged and re-booted, not only inconvenient, but messed up a recording if it is occurring. The response time for the remote Is slower than a turtle. They have replaced my modem. Replaced my cable box. Fixed some fuse at the pole. Told me to make sure the box is off at night to be updated (it is). All they ever do when I call is say they can re-set it, which I can do myself by unplugging the damn thing. Just so frustrating when you pay $180+ tax for such inconsistent and crappy service.
gamer

Ithaca, NY

#20 Jul 16, 2012
This is pretty funny ...but not funny at the same time. I read your post and it was like you live with me! lol.. Since their update to the software I have been having all of those same problems. Sometimes the digital signal is so broken up that it automatically ends the recording. You would think that in todays electronics it would be possible to create a DVR that will automatically fix any recording conflicts. Most of the time I have to check it in the morning to make sure I move times around so our shows get recorded. It is very frustrating for customers in our area because there isn't any competition other than dish. The price for cable and internet shouldn't be the same or even close to an automobile payment each month!
useless wrote:
You can cancel your service with TWC at any time. The 12month or 24month period you are referring is just their offer for price guarantees. And if you as me thats just to get you in the door bc after that the prices go up & up and the quality goes downnnn! They may charge a fee to turn everything off (but several years back I moved & turned off my service. They simply turned it off. But you are required to return the box within a certain amount of time or be charged for it.) I currently subscribe to TWC, and find it ridiculous that I pay close to $200 for cable, Internet, & phone... & my Internet (secured), is constantly is going offline. My phone randomly cuts off and I have to call back all the time. My cable box freezes mid show- mid-screen, mid-guide (which requires it to be unplugged and re-booted, not only inconvenient, but messed up a recording if it is occurring. The response time for the remote Is slower than a turtle. They have replaced my modem. Replaced my cable box. Fixed some fuse at the pole. Told me to make sure the box is off at night to be updated (it is). All they ever do when I call is say they can re-set it, which I can do myself by unplugging the damn thing. Just so frustrating when you pay $180+ tax for such inconsistent and crappy service.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former U.S. Border agent sentenced in attempted... 5 min Moron 23
Jefferson Elementary 8 min dawnt 2
Whos been naughy or nice 1 hr ho ho ho 1
Price Chopper (Apr '16) 4 hr LoveSickFool 15
News Massena Landlords Association shares concerns a... 9 hr Disgusting Idea 16
Opening a club in massena Tue FIFO 13
BJ LaRock Tue acdc 4

Massena Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance