Feedback: Potsdam Police Seek State Police Help In Garrett Phillips Investigation

Feb 29, 2012 Full story: www.wwnytv.com

After months of no public progress, Potsdam police are reaching out to state police for more help in their investigation of the death of a 12 year old.

Full Story

Since: Dec 09

Syracuse, NY

#1 Feb 29, 2012
Does anyone else find this most recent story to be a little odd? There is more to this than they are leading on. Anyone who drove by the scene after it happened would have noticed the place was crawling with troopers for the good part of a week after it happened. Although it is the Village Police jurisdiction, the SP were there gathering evidence and investigating for a long time. I would not be surprised to see an arrest very soon. Channel 7 News had conflicting stories between their noon and 6pm reports. Whatever they are doing is a well kept secret so far.
so sad

Brasher Falls, NY

#2 Mar 1, 2012
results in murder investigation
By JOSH GORE
THURSDAY, MARCH 1, 2012
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A A POTSDAM — Family members of a slain Potsdam boy say they are tired of waiting for answers as to why a suspect - named to them by police but not released to the public - has not been arrested.

“It’s discouraging,” said Janet A. Paul, maternal grandmother of the slain boy, Garrett J. Phillips.“It’s a waiting game.”

The young boy was found unconscious Oct. 24 at North Country Manor Apartments, 100 Market St., after neighbors heard screams and cries for help. He was pronounced dead that evening at Canton-Potsdam Hospital.

In the four months that have passed since the killing, the family has been virtually silent about the case. They have been following the advice of Potsdam Village Police Chief Edward F. Tischler, who they said told them that talking about the case publicly could jeopardize the investigation and the chance of conviction.

Chief Tischler said the investigation is focused on one person, and his team is trying to prove intent.

A family member said each day that passes without an arrest makes it more difficult to remain quiet — if for no other reason than to ask why nothing has been done to take the suspect off the street.

“He’s still on the loose,” said Patricia Phillips, Garrett’s paternal grandmother.“We’re wishing things would move faster. There isn’t a day tears aren’t shed.”

Ms. Phillips said she has seen the suspect in the village, and it bothers her he is living a normal life.

“I instantly want to throw up,” she said.“I want to puke. I want to confront him.”

Ms. Phillips said they were told in October that police expected to make an arrest within eight weeks.

“It’s very nerve-wracking,” the boy’s grandfather, Robert Phillips, said.“We want him arrested.”

Chief Tischler said he has kept the family abreast of what’s going on during the investigation but did not comment on the details of those discussions.

“It’s taking longer than expected,” Chief Tischler said.“I am hopeful for closure soon.”

Chief Tischler said he could not give a timeline on when an arrest could be made.

“Why is it taking so long?” Ms. Phillips said.“I have no answers.”

Chief Tischler announced in January he would be retiring March 31 after 19 months on the job but said it has nothing to do with the investigation. He also said he plans to stay in the area as a private investigator.

He and state police Capt. Robert LaFountain also denied reports on the WWNY-TV website Wednesday that the investigation was turned over to state police Monday by the Potsdam police.

District Attorney Nicole M. Duvé did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massena Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cops on andrew st 59 min ustinkistan 12
Woodys store seized by IRS 1 hr welfare rat 1
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr henu 6,432
massena pd 3 hr SgtC 6
Sandy Cook 3 hr curious 1
need a dog groomer 10 hr The Dude 21
mayor hidy battles for second term 11 hr Resident with vis... 10
•••

Freeze Watch for St Lawrence County was issued at September 17 at 3:05PM EDT

•••