Open: Smokina Al's parks in Massapequ...

Open: Smokina Al's parks in Massapequa Park

There are 33 comments on the Newsday.com story from Nov 28, 2008, titled Open: Smokina Al's parks in Massapequa Park. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

If you catch a whiff of smoke while driving along Merrick Road in Massapequa, chances are it's not a fire but rather the new branch Smokina Ala s Famous BBQ Joint.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LOCAL

United States

#1 Dec 7, 2008
WENT TO SMOKIN ALS WHEN IT FIRSDT OPENED. WAITED 50 MINUTES AND DID NOT RECEIVED OUR MEALS. WENT TO THE MANAGER JUSTIN AND HE STATED SORRY BUT WE ARE REALLY NOT OPEN YET THIS IS A SOFT OPENING. HE TOLD US THERE WAS A GLITCH AND OUR FOOD WOULD BE OUT SOON. WE PROCEEDED TO LEAVE AND HE SAID HE HOPES WE COME BACK SOON TO TRY THEM AGAIN. A BUSSINESS WILL NOT SURVIVE LONG WITH YOUNG INEXPERIENCED CHILDREN RUNNING IT. AT LEAST OFFER A MEAL OR SOMTHING TO KEEP US THERE. THE COUPLE NEXT TO US ALSO LEFT WITHOUT A MEAL AFTER ONE HOUR.
Disappointed

United States

#2 Dec 8, 2008
Waited almost an hour last night for a table but didn't mind based on the comments about the good food.... placed our order and was then told we had to pay extra to subsitute a kids side of fries for 1 cornon the cob even though they are the same price on the menu. asked to see a manager for an explanation and was told... "because that's what we do!" pointed out they are the same price on the menu and he told us corn is more expensive... we said but not if we order as a side and got... yes.. but we charge anyway...

thanks.... but if that is the way you speak to customers... no thanks... we left!
Truth Teller

Roslyn, NY

#3 Dec 8, 2008
Soft openings I can understand. That's how they work out their problems prior to official opening. But not offering anything as compensation...not even a free drink, side or piddly $5 off your check is just unreal.

And no substitutions for an equal value item? Wow. Just wow.

Smokin Al's gonna be a vacant building in a year, if it lasts even that long.
always happy

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Dec 9, 2008
I have been eating at smokin als in bayshore for years. The food and service have always been great. You should all give it another try. It is the best que on long island.
Wisdom

Bronx, NY

#5 Dec 15, 2008
I went to Smoking Al's yesterday night and the food, service, and wait were absolutely horrible. I went to another steakhouse place tonight named Tennessee Jed's on Merrick Road in Wantagh and the difference was unbelievable the food was excellent and the service was great. Smoking Al's is terrible and nobody should eat there unless you like eating things that taste like like garbage.
Stephen R

Freehold, NJ

#6 Dec 28, 2008
Well I would not say that Smokin' Al's is garbage but I will have to agree with the sometimes arrogant approach to client relations. Just because they are the big dogs in the game does not give them the right to give poor customer service. I will agree with the above mentioned about Tennessee Jed's in Wantagh. I have actually dined there several times with friends, family and a few times by myself and have actually had a overall pleasant time and found the food to be just as good and if not better than Al's. Putting that aside the owner who is present daily really cares about his clients and it truly shows in his interaction with his customers, it is nice to see a staff interface with people who are eating there. Anyways what I am saying is that try both and make the call... I will stay with TJ and continue to give them my business, goes to show customer service goes a long way.
Andrew G

AOL

#7 Jan 16, 2009
Went to smokin Als the other night and waited almost an hour for a table. I would not have minded but the food wasn't that good. With all the great restaurants there are in Massapequa Park why would Smokin Al's open there. I went to Mercatos which is right across the street from Al's and the food and service was great. Waited a bit but it was worth it. Sorry Al.
Jason Fos

Paterson, NJ

#8 Jan 17, 2009
I wrote this post the other day for another topic board and felt that it may fit the bill here. I have ate at the new Al's and have had the same overall experience.... The long wait, just ok food, some service glitches, did I mention long wait not worth the hype? Well anyways here is the other post that I wrote that may concur with the others above me.
I have read this review several times and really love that Newsday focus's on smaller local restaurants such as this one. Now here is my two cents... T.J.'s is just a really local and seemingly so homely place where you can get a pretty nice plate of ribs or a pulled pork sandwich to quell that decadent craving I may be having. I love the fact that it is only 2 minutes from my house and not that I particularly am a BBQ expert but the food has a nice smokey flavor that always seems to hit the spot when I need it. AGAIN this is not my usual fare but the nacho's here ARE TO DIE FOR!!! Layered with this great cheese sauce, and all sorts of bits of goodness it again fills my need for a complete heart attack special! I can not say for all the food here but it all seems very well made and the service and staff are super friendly.
Now there was a few things that I did not care for, one being the baked beans a little too sweet for my taste but that's me, another was grilled veggies but on the flip side the mac and cheese was on point! One other little tip and I think if you have been there you may agree... Lower the lights a bit and put on some country music to set the tone.
I really, really hope that this little local place makes it, it has all the making for a great local eatery. The staff is super nice and the food is really a nice change from the norm.
Good Luck
Jason.
Jason Fos

Paterson, NJ

#9 Jan 17, 2009
In response to the above I posted the last item and failed to mention that it was for a review that I had posted about a seemingly close place called Tennessee Jed's. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

I suppose this is sort of a crossover review, bottom line I will go to Tennessee Jeds for now on.

Jason
Brian M

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jan 19, 2009
So far after reading all the other post's here it seems so that I have to agree with what has already been said. Smokin' Al's in its time was great but, the new location has seemed to lost some its smoke so to say. As far as Tennessee Jeds I have eaten there about 4 times now and have had a good meal just about every time, seems like there is a new player in town.

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

#11 Jan 19, 2009
I haven't been to the Smakin Al's in Massapequa, but I enjoy their place in Bayshore very much. I love the food, and the atmosphere. My only complaint is I don't always getting seated as quickly as I'd like, but if you want to get seated quickly, you should go to a place with many empty seats. Other than that, I think Smokin Al's is great. If their Pequa spot isn't up to par I would hope they'd fix any problems they have quickly.
Umm

Bronx, NY

#12 Jan 19, 2009
Didn't like the food, at all. I'll stick with Adam's Rib--for half the price, too.
Piggy1

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jan 21, 2009
Being that I work in the Huntington area but live in bellmore I have had my fill of BBQ from what was formerly the Hog House on Jericho tpk. I have eaten at the new Al's and yes the wait was long and the service spotty, the food was decent but nothing spectacular..... Is bbq really ever though? And to touch on about what people are saying here as well about the new place Tennesee Jed's, been there a few times and food is good, the I believe the chef is the owner is very vocal and willing to chat with you cause the grill and smoker is directly in the open. Very nice staff there. Hope they make it.
Mark Massapequa

AOL

#14 Jan 24, 2009
No parking, Ridiculously long wait for a table, then the food..french fries look great but are terrible...wet and cold, the floor gets so slippery from the grease in the air that someone fell and was taken away by ambulance...the music is terrible and way too loud....stressfully loud, they are crowded now, but I don't think they are going to make it...I have to try Tennessee Jed
sadie

Northport, NY

#15 Jan 29, 2009
I ate at Smoking Al's yesterday and had a wonderful experience. We did not have to wait for a table, our food came out very quickly, and tasted wonderful. I am definitely going back again and have referred Smoking Al's to everyone. Give it another try or don't and I won't have to wait for a table.
Chuck Wagon

Decatur, GA

#16 Jan 29, 2009
sadie wrote:
I ate at Smoking Al's yesterday and had a wonderful experience. We did not have to wait for a table, our food came out very quickly, and tasted wonderful. I am definitely going back again and have referred Smoking Al's to everyone. Give it another try or don't and I won't have to wait for a table.
nice try...are you the owner or a relative???
Shogun

Bronx, NY

#17 Jan 29, 2009
Stephen R wrote:
Well I would not say that Smokin' Al's is garbage but I will have to agree with the sometimes arrogant approach to client relations. Just because they are the big dogs in the game does not give them the right to give poor customer service. I will agree with the above mentioned about Tennessee Jed's in Wantagh. I have actually dined there several times with friends, family and a few times by myself and have actually had a overall pleasant time and found the food to be just as good and if not better than Al's. Putting that aside the owner who is present daily really cares about his clients and it truly shows in his interaction with his customers, it is nice to see a staff interface with people who are eating there. Anyways what I am saying is that try both and make the call... I will stay with TJ and continue to give them my business, goes to show customer service goes a long way.
Maybe it is me, but customer service is gone. They figure they have what you want. If you want it you have to put up with their rudeness. Or you could just leave. What has happened to the customer is always right? Not just at this business but everywhere.
Aviator168

Butler, NJ

#18 Jan 30, 2009
Good that I find this review and comments. I was going to SA on Merrit Rd tonight. Now I think I am going to SouthSide instead.
Scott Boerkle

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Feb 4, 2009
I love to put big bones in my mouth
lynne

AOL

#20 Feb 5, 2009
I have been waiting with anticipation for the opening of Smokin' Al's in Massapequa and finally got there last night. It was worth the wait...the bbq ribs are delish, and the burnt ends appetizer was superb. I love the look of the new place and if you don't want to wait, I suggest getting there at 5 or 5:30. By the time our dinner came, the place was full except for 2 tables. It's a great place for bbq and the atmosphere is really cute. Give it another try, you won't be disappointed. And no, I'm not a relative or the owner!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massapequa Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: 240 Auto Body Inc (Jan '11) 12 hr JDL 18
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 13 hr Bruser 2,480
cesspool company scams (Sep '07) Mon monday20 67
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Aug 30 Bruser 8,020
News Craft beer 'incubator' planned for Copiague site Aug 28 Terry 1
News Sunrise Highway service road work to affect tra... Aug 28 Road Hog 1
News Assault victim barely escapes oncoming train (Jul '07) Aug 27 Joe Biden 325
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Massapequa Park Mortgages