Viking Green Pride

Woodhaven, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2011

I always like the fact Fire District Volunteers say they "do it for free" while in fact they get a 25% reduction in property taxes, free college, retirement and a pension package from the Fire districts, plus they all get a one week paid vacation for FREE, add in the Discounts they get from all over towns? it's a nice volunteer job.

Plus all the perks of using Fire equipment at home, use of Kitchens and over the top catering Halls and clubs in these Fire houses.

These over the top Fire houses have got to stop on Long island they are putting us in a financial crisis with too much equipment thatís never used and the over the top fire houses less then 1 mile from one another.

Volunteer's know abuser, unnecessary renovations , purchasing unneeded equipment, SUV Fire Dept issued more out of town then in town, when in town you see them in the BARS.

These Volunteer Fire Districts need to Merge, stop buying, stop building, and stop renovating and stop buying SUV every 3 years, CUT BACKS.

No need for 5 or 6 Fire houses in one small town less then 1 mile from one another
james

Elberton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

instead of complaining about all the fire depts over spending while using an all volunteer force try looking into the police dept each police officer starting salary $85,000 after 5 years just as a patrolman it jumps up to $105,000 in my eyes thats way too much for cops who take 30 mins to respond to a 911 call to someones house on any given night throughout suffolk county you will see at least 3 to 4 cars parked in a lot all talking while being dispatched to calls i know that for a fact. and the uneccessary spending by them on there marine unitthat s that you nevver see anywhere. the many ESU units manned 24/7 that only sit at there quaters at the mcarther airport.

so dont complain every volunteer fire dept is a needed asset including all the vehiles they have without them your ISO would be through the roof. i never here anyone complain about property tax, school tax, village tax, how else do you expect each fire dept to get the job done the primary goal of each dept is protecting life and property without the tools , equipment and apparatus that goal can not be reached times have changed there are more dangerous building materials being used in construction . many buinesses are useing hazardous materials and buildings are getting larger and taller.

join a dept before you open your mouth.
james

Elberton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

i was volunteer firefighter in suffolk county and an EMT from the age of 18 i moved here to the south and in a few months i will be moving back to the island for good. a comment was made about fireman say they do it for free and that infact they do get perks and are paid. NO THEY DONT get your facts straight yes they recieve a retiremnet pension but not till after 25 years as most depts require so for those 25 yrs each member does it for free absolutly no payment no weekly or monthly paycheck and yes SOME depts employ small crews to ensure a response to any emergency while all the other firefighters, emt's and medics are at there regular mon - fri 9-5 jobs to support their families that each one of them respond on there off time during family dinners , birthdays , sickness ,holidays so the perks you say are wrong i see no problem for those who use it for me i never did and never will but thats me now they do that to keep those members from moving out of state and keep their highly trained members around cause people like you sure as hell wont do it.

the fire depts also do not set the prices of new apparatus or perssonal protective equipment , pagers etc in order to stay with the time depts have to pay the price or they again cant get the job done.

stp being cry babies
Maureen Long Island

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I personally would prefer to have paid fire districts.I respect those who choose to volunteer however the key word is CHOOSE. The public, who pays the bills for the fire depts, has every right to question expenditures and unnecessary spending. There are two firedistricts near where I live, and they have been adding bays and expanding the fire house for the last 6 yrs.New community rooms(not available to the public) and the constant requests for donations make one wonder who I keeping tabs on things!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massapequa Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 39 min Vote Zornow 6,408
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 12 hr Bruser 7,871
Women's Fund of LI to Honor Four Long Island Women 14 hr WFLI 1
Why is Lindenhurst such a Ghetto? (Mar '10) Aug 25 I Hate Syracuse 682
Garbage pail scavengers in levittown Aug 25 Sambee 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Aug 22 Bruser 2,283
Review: Secrets Secrets (Jul '13) Aug 22 incognito 18
•••

Massapequa Park News Video

•••
•••

Massapequa Park Jobs

•••