Barbecue battle heats up in Massapequ...

Barbecue battle heats up in Massapequa Park

There are 133 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 24, 2009, titled Barbecue battle heats up in Massapequa Park. In it, Newsday reports that:

Al Horowitz describes the scent wafting from his eatery in Massapequa Park as the "sweet aroma of barbecue." But people who live near Smokin' Al's say the smell isn't so sweet when you smell it every day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
get out now

Valley Stream, NY

#146 Jun 25, 2009
Let me get this straight, these people live near in a commercial area and were expecting what? Maybe it would be better if they closed it, let him move it somewhere else and they can have a vacant building with rats.

It is like buying a house next to the airport and then wondering why the planes fly overhead...or buying a house next to a mall wondering why around the holidays there is insane traffic.
jimmy

San Antonio, TX

#147 Jun 25, 2009
Do all the non-Jewish LIers hate the Jewish LIers? Cause thats what it kind of sounds like. Don't even get me started on NY BBQ, isn't that an oxymoron?
Col GB

Cape Coral, FL

#148 Jun 25, 2009
Wonder what the neighborhood would do if he converted his place to a soup kitchen for the poor and homeless...

Wonder if that smell ordience also includes BBQ odors from homes on the weekends...

Could be worse, it could be a chinesse takeout, with all the cats and rats screaming as they are slaughtered for chow Mein...
Feed Up

Bronx, NY

#149 Jun 25, 2009
Voice of Reason wrote:
Anti-semitic much people? Who cares if the proprietor is Jewish or not? or the people complaining? Does it really make a difference? If he signed a contract saying he would come as close as possible to no odor, he should be held to that. However, if they said noxious odor, that is a subjective term. Meanwhile, the guy complaining about parking in his driveway...well obviously the other places didn't have that problem - they weren't busy enough and subsequently went out of business, hence why the BBQ place is there now. Call the cops on the illegal parking, not the restaurant, they can't control the customers' parking.
This has been the only sane comment so far and I am total agreement.
America is powerless now

East Quogue, NY

#150 Jun 25, 2009
I'll bet Smokin' Al paid all these neighbors to b'itch. You can't buy the kind of publicity he's gettin' here. People are gonna' be arrivin' at his place by the Greyhound busload now! Ha ha, brilliant promotion Al!
Bill

Berkeley, CA

#151 Jun 25, 2009
Dave wrote:
Wonderful Long Island at its best, some antisemitism, a touch of pork project, alot of bs, no solutions. Sounds like NY to me.
Sounds like an unfair assessment of NY to me Dave. You get stupid comments from stupid people WORLD WIDE, not just in certain states or countries. It is ridiculous that this thread had to lower itself to making ridiculous and ignorant comments. And no, I'm not jewish. But I am tired of people who insist on perpetuating the stereotype that "Americans" in general are all about racism. This is, indeed, a world-wide phenomenon. Go to any other country, and they will not only hate outsiders, but they hate their own. Much as we do here. Southerners trash northerners, east coast vs. west coast, city vs. country. Nothing new or unique going on here. What I do wish, however, is that AMERICANS would cease and desist from making such derogatory comments which validate the accusations. The topic was about a restaurant, not the ethnicity of the proprietor.
Liz

Bronxville, NY

#152 Jun 25, 2009
get out now wrote:
Let me get this straight, these people live near in a commercial area and were expecting what? Maybe it would be better if they closed it, let him move it somewhere else and they can have a vacant building with rats.
It is like buying a house next to the airport and then wondering why the planes fly overhead...or buying a house next to a mall wondering why around the holidays there is insane traffic.
Don't forget about the folks that move to a house near a sports arena and complain about all the folks that attend games.
Mass

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#153 Jun 25, 2009
i hate pequa wrote:
sounds like the people from massapequa. i moved into my grandmas house from bay shore about 8 years ago and hated everything about the town and my peers. so much so that i worked over 40 hours aweek on top of playing a highschool sport to pay for the tution at st. johns because at least there were some kids who werent stuck up with a sense of entitlement there. i may have traded bad for worse but that was fine with me.
Wow, you hated everything. There are things to hate about any town but everything, come on now. Sounds like you are young so hopefully you get a better attitude on life or your in for a long one.
Samson

United States

#154 Jun 25, 2009
I live about 1/2 mile from Smokin' Al's and when the wind is blowing the right direction, I can smell the place from my home. I feel sorry for the folks who live a block or two from it.
James Dooley

Brooklyn, NY

#155 Nov 29, 2009
How about deal with and spend time & energy on the big problem in Massapequa. The drug dealers. Heroin, coke, crack all being sold and used in Massapequa and in the parks. Kids are doing drugs in Massapequa like mad: The steriod problem has diminished a little and not it is Heroin.

This BBQ place is great leave them alone.
Adele

Hicksville, NY

#156 Nov 29, 2009
I passed it on the bus the other day. Its on a busy commercial main street intersection. Amazing that it could be causing so many residential problems.
rob

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#157 Dec 1, 2009
Adele wrote:
I passed it on the bus the other day. Its on a busy commercial main street intersection. Amazing that it could be causing so many residential problems.
I guess you missed the houses across the street and behind it!
Still Smells

New York, NY

#158 May 1, 2011
I guess we learned to deal with Smoking Al's the good food justifys the smoke and smell!
I am ok witht he odor it's not bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massapequa Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 21 hr Bruser 2,636
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Fri Bruser 8,286
Job Seeking in Massapequa Jun 17 DanZMuk065 1
Old Freeport Hospital (Oct '14) Jun 16 Freeport historical 4
News Cops: Wantagh Man Burglarized 10 Homes in 3 Months (Sep '10) Jun 14 Grammar Nazi 292
Review: David Sanders Dance Dynamics (Nov '08) Jun 14 Mommabear 15
Sirens starting at about 1.40pm sunday 6.12.16 Jun 12 cityman1800 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Massapequa Park Mortgages