Barbecue battle heats up in Massapequ...

Barbecue battle heats up in Massapequa Park

There are 133 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 24, 2009, titled Barbecue battle heats up in Massapequa Park. In it, Newsday reports that:

Al Horowitz describes the scent wafting from his eatery in Massapequa Park as the "sweet aroma of barbecue." But people who live near Smokin' Al's say the smell isn't so sweet when you smell it every day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
FLID

Hicksville, NY

#2 Jun 24, 2009
This is news?
Publius

Valley Stream, NY

#5 Jun 24, 2009
Tough situation.

Guy is a successful small businessman creating jobs, paying taxes, and providing a service.

Neighbors are right to expect only a modicum of inconvienence. Strong smells of any kind and parking problmes from a new business don't have to be tolerated.

Too bad there is not a middle ground they can reach.
Ryeguy8585

Watertown, CT

#8 Jun 24, 2009
Maybe you shouldn't have bought a house so close to a business area if you are that crotchety.
emc2

Plainview, NY

#9 Jun 24, 2009
typical of massapequa people. always finding something to complain about
Tommy

Belmar, NJ

#13 Jun 24, 2009
A man is trying to make money and your not letting him... you residents are the one that smell...
Colonel Sanders

Stockbridge, GA

#15 Jun 24, 2009
Here in the south we LOVE that aroma. MMMMMmmmm.
JohnG

Yonkers, NY

#16 Jun 24, 2009
I love that place. Delicious BBQ. Maybe they can give the neighbors free BBQ to help ease the troubles.
Captain Jack

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Jun 24, 2009
these people are morons, they live on top of a commercial, what would you expect.
MMM

Massapequa, NY

#18 Jun 24, 2009
I live in Mass Pk and Sm Al's is packed. I called one night for take out and they said, "1hr 45mins". Good for them success is the American Dream. However, I think Al is being honest when he says (above) "he has done everything he is WILLING to do". That's why we have courts - to force him to comply with 'neighborhood standards.'
He doesn't live in the town and he could care less if his neighbors are unhappy...it's all about him and his profit. His neighbors would have a difficult time selling their homes due to the oppressive odor. The mayor needs to go to the mat on this one or there's not need to live in an incorporated village.
pudgy

Bronx, NY

#19 Jun 24, 2009
if you dont like the wonderful aromatic aroma of smokin' al's bbq, move. matzha-pizza is second only to mastic as far as low life long island neighborhoods.

leave my smokin als bbq alone !

al- if you have to move, there is a great vacant location on new york avenue in halesite just waiting for you to move into.
This is why LI sucks

New Rochelle, NY

#21 Jun 24, 2009
So let me get this...the guppies buy a home within a block of a major business road & now complain of the smell? Get a life. I bet it smeall better than all the car exhaust fumes your sucking in daily!
Gary

Bayside, NY

#23 Jun 24, 2009
for all you low class joo haters stay out of our town ( i am not a joo) and as far as Massapequa being low class you couldn't afford to live here. Check your estate prices in this area before you shoot your mouth off. However the real issue is Smokin Al's the problem lies with the business being approved in the first place. What kind of Broad and Mayor approved a BBQ resturant and think there will be no odor. Why should Al foot the bill for their mistake Let the town correct their own mistake, they do charge enough taxes. Maybe they can take cut in pay to install the necessary filters.
Jay

Island Park, NY

#24 Jun 24, 2009
Smokin' Al's is the SHIZZZZZY Best food on LI
No Gay Marriage

Bronx, NY

#25 Jun 24, 2009
Newsday allows a public comment section on an issue like this, but won't provide one when the subject is HomoSexual marriage, or anything to do with Israel?
What hypocrites!
Robert

Bronxville, NY

#27 Jun 24, 2009
The people complaining about the smell have already been reimbursed - by the the lower cost of homes next to commercial strips.

The same people buy houses close to freeways, then complain about the noise.
The American Dream

Brooklyn, NY

#28 Jun 24, 2009
Wasn't long ago airlines allowed paasengers to smoke, restaurants allowed their patrons to smoke. We inhaled all the smoke. Please this is food. Thank god the economy is getting better that people can go out and dine. Al is also paying taxes and I'm sure bringing in people into the community who are patrons in another establishments. There aren't any boarded up homes that are eyesores who would be bringing your home value down. Have you ever had the ribs there? Maybe you should to see what the fuss is all about.
Good Luck Al
Curious George Pres

Bridgeport, CT

#30 Jun 24, 2009
Get over it.
Voice of Reason

Bronx, NY

#32 Jun 24, 2009
Anti-semitic much people? Who cares if the proprietor is Jewish or not? or the people complaining? Does it really make a difference? If he signed a contract saying he would come as close as possible to no odor, he should be held to that. However, if they said noxious odor, that is a subjective term. Meanwhile, the guy complaining about parking in his driveway...well obviously the other places didn't have that problem - they weren't busy enough and subsequently went out of business, hence why the BBQ place is there now. Call the cops on the illegal parking, not the restaurant, they can't control the customers' parking.
myopinion

Huntington Station, NY

#34 Jun 24, 2009
Bay Shore has no neighbors with houses next door or across the street, so of course there are no complaints.

Just for the record, food is not that "good". The place holds a crowd because it's a novelty atmosphere on Main Street and seems to draw a mostly "younger" crowd for a "hang out". Tennesse Jack's is my recommendation in East Islip over Smokin' Al's.

I'm sorry for the neighbors in Massapequa Park. I hope it gets resolved and soon for all of you!
TwoSlice

Gibsonton, FL

#35 Jun 24, 2009
Yo AL, feed them BBQ in exchange for an A/C unit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massapequa Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illegal Apartments In Levittown are Hurting Pro... 3 hr Maude 7
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 15 hr Bruser 2,664
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Fri Bruser 8,339
Joseph Nicols D.D. S. *** STAY CLEAR OF HIM *** (Jul '09) Aug 24 Lisa 22
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Aug 20 Bohdis Mom 82
News Home Sale Could Solve North Babylon Library's P... Aug 18 robert widecki 1
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Aug 14 Jimmy 22

Massapequa Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Massapequa Park Mortgages