Driver in fatal DWI gets 6-month sent...

Driver in fatal DWI gets 6-month sentence

There are 55 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 20, 2007, titled Driver in fatal DWI gets 6-month sentence. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Massapequa Park man who was charged in a fatal drunk driving crash only after he sued another driver involved in the collision -- and in doing so allowed his own blood alcohol level to come into evidence -- ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
George J Dagis

New Paltz, NY

#45 Jul 21, 2007
These laws wont do a DAMN thing but overcrowd the prisons ! More "feelgood" legislation !
joe314

Vienna, VA

#46 Jul 21, 2007
Tougher sentences will not deter these people.Even if the death penalty was the sentence for a first ever conviction they would still do it. They need to make it mandatory for all people convicted of dui to be required to have a breathlyzer in their car for life. then ina 3-5 year period reuqire all cars to have it for everyone so no can start a car while drunk. Giv e a tax rebate to people to cover the cost. And for all you people who say they don't drink and drive ever, even the guy with the 11 dwi's at one point never drank and drive so a breathlyzer in all cars would have stopped him
jane

Monterrey, Mexico

#48 Jul 21, 2007
joe314 wrote:
Tougher sentences will not deter these people.Even if the death penalty was the sentence for a first ever conviction they would still do it. They need to make it mandatory for all people convicted of dui to be required to have a breathlyzer in their car for life. then ina 3-5 year period reuqire all cars to have it for everyone so no can start a car while drunk. Giv e a tax rebate to people to cover the cost. And for all you people who say they don't drink and drive ever, even the guy with the 11 dwi's at one point never drank and drive so a breathlyzer in all cars would have stopped him
It's better to lock 'em up ,more Prisons means more employment...
joeb

Paterson, NJ

#50 Jul 21, 2007
The only way it will ever stop is if you lock these morons up for 10 years for each DUI
Chris Maiorino

Brooklyn, NY

#51 Jul 21, 2007
terrible wrote:
He needs to do at least 20 years. what a loser he is.
For those of us who know Dan Flynn it is impossible for us to fathom that he has not experienced extreme remorse for the unfortunate incident that occurred in December 2001. There is no excuse for getting behind the wheel of a vehicle when you have been drinking period. That was a lack of judgment that Dan will regret for the rest of his life BUT it is not a accurate representation of the responsibility and judgment Dan has shown his family and friends for his entire life.
I have known Dan for over twenty years and he has always been a responsible adult of outstanding character. The accident that happened was a devastating loss for the Stoker family. I understand Mrs. Coppola's feelings that Dan has not paid for his actions but I do not agree with her.
Dan has always walked a straight path and would be the first person to accept the role of designated driver and was never know to be one who abused alcohol. The poor judgment he exhibited on that December night was an aberration and not a example of a of the strong judgment that Dan has been known to exhibit.
My sincere condolences to the Stroker's family but to think that Dan has not suffered from this incident is ludicrous. His life was forever changed that December night and it is a incident that has and will continue to haunt him for the remainder of his life. A harsher punishment than the one he received in my opinion would only devastate his young child and immediate family. Dan has paid more than we all think and will continue to regret that fateful decision he made that December night in '01.
Eric Cartman

White Plains, NY

#52 Jul 21, 2007
Chris Maiorino wrote:
<quoted text>
For those of us who know Dan Flynn it is impossible for us to fathom that he has not experienced extreme remorse for the unfortunate incident that occurred in December 2001. There is no excuse for getting behind the wheel of a vehicle when you have been drinking period. That was a lack of judgment that Dan will regret for the rest of his life BUT it is not a accurate representation of the responsibility and judgment Dan has shown his family and friends for his entire life.
I have known Dan for over twenty years and he has always been a responsible adult of outstanding character. The accident that happened was a devastating loss for the Stoker family. I understand Mrs. Coppola's feelings that Dan has not paid for his actions but I do not agree with her.
Dan has always walked a straight path and would be the first person to accept the role of designated driver and was never know to be one who abused alcohol. The poor judgment he exhibited on that December night was an aberration and not a example of a of the strong judgment that Dan has been known to exhibit.
My sincere condolences to the Stroker's family but to think that Dan has not suffered from this incident is ludicrous. His life was forever changed that December night and it is a incident that has and will continue to haunt him for the remainder of his life. A harsher punishment than the one he received in my opinion would only devastate his young child and immediate family. Dan has paid more than we all think and will continue to regret that fateful decision he made that December night in '01.
What, are you his lawyer?
a friend

Staatsburg, NY

#53 Jul 22, 2007
Chris Maiorino wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for saying what I have been thinking for 3 days.
Just you

Levittown, NY

#54 Jul 22, 2007
Chris Maiorino wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Chris, I hear where you are coming from as being his life long friend and all. I have known Dan a long time as well, and this straight path you talk about is skewed. I can maybe agree that it was not the alcohol that was his thing. But the drugs were his sweet tooth. Either way, dont make him sound like a saint. Bottom line, he took someone elses life for mistakes he made. He could of been sober & done the same thing, and maybe people may feel differently. But fact remains that his .28 level, yeah .28, not .18, impared his judgement severly to make this tragedy happen. He has to pay for his mistakes & be responsible for his actions. Do you value Josephine's life to 6 months? I am sure you would sing a different tune if it was your sibling. Friend or no friend, what's wrong is wrong & he has to pay for what he has done. I agree with the Mrs Coppola, no justice was served. 6 months in a DWI program for killing someone? Where has the value of one's life gone?
today

Brentwood, NY

#55 Jul 23, 2007
Just you wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Chris, I hear where you are coming from as being his life long friend and all. I have known Dan a long time as well, and this straight path you talk about is skewed. I can maybe agree that it was not the alcohol that was his thing. But the drugs were his sweet tooth. Either way, dont make him sound like a saint. Bottom line, he took someone elses life for mistakes he made. He could of been sober & done the same thing, and maybe people may feel differently. But fact remains that his .28 level, yeah .28, not .18, impared his judgement severly to make this tragedy happen. He has to pay for his mistakes & be responsible for his actions. Do you value Josephine's life to 6 months? I am sure you would sing a different tune if it was your sibling. Friend or no friend, what's wrong is wrong & he has to pay for what he has done. I agree with the Mrs Coppola, no justice was served. 6 months in a DWI program for killing someone? Where has the value of one's life gone?
I would have to disagree with you on this, perhaps you didnt know him as well as you thought.

I never knew of Dan to use drugs that just is not so, he didnt appear to be much of drinker either. Sometimes childhood friends will pursue different paths, such as some of his friends but Dan always seemed to be the one to distance himself from some of the behavior his friends indulged in.

For whatever reason These 2 had a lapse of judgement, so deveasting but she sealed her fate when she decided to get in the car.
Just you

Levittown, NY

#56 Jul 23, 2007
today wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to disagree with you on this, perhaps you didnt know him as well as you thought.
I never knew of Dan to use drugs that just is not so, he didnt appear to be much of drinker either. Sometimes childhood friends will pursue different paths, such as some of his friends but Dan always seemed to be the one to distance himself from some of the behavior his friends indulged in.
For whatever reason These 2 had a lapse of judgement, so deveasting but she sealed her fate when she decided to get in the car.
I am not going to argue about who knew who better. I know what I know, and I am not far off. You can disagree, but i know what I saw. But fact still remains that he commited a bad crime & has to pay for it.
Chris Maiorino

San Jose, CA

#57 Aug 4, 2007
I am shocked that someone would falsely use my name on a post for such a serious topic. My name is Chris Maiorino (the real chris Maiorino) and I am just finding out about this now through a friend. I live in NYC for the past 10 years. I did not post the aforementioned comment. I do know Dan, mostly from high school. He is a good person, but that's all I can say with certainty. I do not have any knowledge of these legal troubles of his and would never get involved with something like this willingly.

My apologies to anyone who may have been offended by any of these remarks falsely made in my name. My sincere apologies to the family of this young woman and everyone affected by this obviously horrific and unfortunated event.

Chris Maiorino/NYC
Chris Maiorino

San Jose, CA

#58 Aug 4, 2007
today wrote:
<quoted text>
I am shocked that someone would falsely use my name on a post for such a serious topic. My name is Chris Maiorino (the real chris Maiorino) and I am just finding out about this now through a friend. I live in NYC for the past 10 years. I did not post the aforementioned comment. I do know Dan, mostly from high school. He is a good person, but that's all I can say with certainty. I do not have any knowledge of these legal troubles of his and would never get involved with something like this willingly.

My apologies to anyone who may have been offended by any of these remarks falsely made in my name. My sincere apologies to the family of this young woman and everyone affected by this obviously horrific and unfortunated event.

Chris Maiorino/NYC
Chris Maiorino

Flushing, NY

#59 Aug 8, 2007
Hey, wait a minute! What's going on here???
CHRIS MAIORINO

New York, NY

#60 Feb 3, 2008
I'VE BEEN LIVING IN NYC FOR 1O YEARS!
DAN FLYNN WHO?
Michael

Bronx, NY

#61 Feb 4, 2008
Hey, the Judge couldn't well give him more time than the cop lady got, right?

Imagine had this plick got 10 years, his appeal would be swift. It's a shame, but if you offer a cop a sweetheart deal like this, then the rest of society has to right to the same thing.

Mind you, I'd feel better knowing both a cop and a civilian, who got drunk, drove and killed people, were in jail for a good 7-10 years, but if the DA, Judge and LE Agencies feel safer letting these two back on the road, who are we to question their wisdom?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massapequa Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 3 hr Goober of Bruserv... 8,548
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) 7 hr Go Blue Forever 56
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Tue save your souls 2,733
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Jan 14 Mark 42
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Jan 13 Bgunter1975 90
Review: 240 Auto Body Inc (Jan '11) Jan 11 Mario 30
Amityville Music Selection (Oct '12) Jan 10 Musikologist 15

Massapequa Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Massapequa Park Mortgages