NY teen overdose spotlights growing heroin problem

Jul 19, 2008 Full story: The Associated Press

When high school senior Natalie Ciappa nearly died of a heroin overdose Memorial Day weekend, she promised her parents she had learned her lesson and was going clean.

She got a job, met a guy and appeared to be getting better. She was even making her curfews again.

But on the first night of summer, Natalie went to a party and never came home.

Her parents called emergency rooms and the police, but they knew nothing about her daughter. They eventually learned where the party had been and headed there.

Full Story

“Massapequa Mom”

Since: Jul 08

Massapequa, NY

#1 Jul 19, 2008
Yes! I am grateful to the AP for bringing this issue to the forefront. When something becomes communicated through a national news service, it ain't small potatoes. Maybe NOW school officials, kids, parents and neighbors will see this for what it is. A blight on our community and a scourge to our kids. I am forwarding this article to my local school board. Please do the same....read what Natalie's mom said happened on school property. Please..let's put an end to this.
Mendy

Worcester, MA

#2 Nov 10, 2008
It is truly a sad situation to see what is happening to our teens. Though I'm only 26 years old and in the middle of my Bachelors in criminal justice I feel a great force that tells me I need to help teens. I cannot wait to graduate and get out there because I want to make a difference in society and help people as much as possible.
Massapequa Mom

Staten Island, NY

#3 Dec 3, 2008
Hi Mendy,
You can help....do outreach if you join the police force in the Boston Metro area (I have family in LExington) and feel free to start now at your place of worship or local school.
I sound painfully old-fashioned, but I hear these kids " have nothing to do". Good Lord! When I was that age I was busy! Working both in school at at work, and volunteering when I wasn't working. And helping around the house, too. Folks, get those kids busy and engaged! My nieghbor's kid told me he was bored, so I handed him a rake, and told him to get to work. You should have seen the look on his face! Yes, I paid him, but he got my point loud and clear. We aren't that powerless...
if you can, Mendy, ask the kdis who are bored to read to youngsters having trouble acquiring that skill, or to elderly who cannot see to read. It is a start and it helps their college apps too....
The voice

Neptune, NJ

#4 Jan 29, 2009
as having seen the damage 1st hand of people I know and knew that the heroin problem is here to stay, it's cheaper than oxycontin and there is so much of it that there is nothing anyone can do about it. Yes it's in your kids schools, yes it's in your neighborhood, yes it's as easy to get just like ordering a pizza. I have never used or will ever, but the Nassau county newly formed (hit unit) can't do anything about it. Even if all the dealers and everyone involved is locked up, people can just go to certain neighborhoods where the police don't care about and score some cheap dope. Nobody cares that this garbage is in the ghetto, but once these suburban teens have pinned pupils and smell like cornflakes with the rare overdose, then people get concerned. You should go to Boston and see how many smack heads are in that city, it's gross. I have yet to meet anyone who has done heroin and or oxycontin who can remain sober. It's really bad and from seeing people I grew up with fade away is just a shame! I could never imagine how someone could get like that. I pray every day for people who are knee deep in this stuff

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massapequa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr Joe Voter 6,473
Theresa Maniaci-Canni, left, and George (Nov '09) 7 hr flashalan 16
Garbage pail scavengers in levittown 8 hr Sambee 4
Suspect named in Gilgo Beach murders (Dec '12) 14 hr Streetrunner 10
Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block team for... (Nov '10) 15 hr TheAfroHedgehog 7
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 16 hr Bruser 2,299
Amityville Music Selection (Oct '12) Tue Musikologist 9

Massapequa News Video

Massapequa Dating
Find my Match

Massapequa Jobs

Massapequa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Massapequa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Massapequa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]