Mason Ohio Police are like the KGB
Are you serious

Florence, KY

#22 Oct 2, 2009
better not say wrote:
I live in Mason, and these policemen here are real jerks. They have nothing more to do then harrass people. I came from Massachusetts 2 years ago, had no traffic violations on my record for the past 20 years, suddenly I'm a criminal in Mason, OH. Pulled over for speeding in school zone (right near Mason Police Headquarters) license suspended because I did not read the fine print on the ticket to appear in court, then threatened with a jail sentence for driving on a suspended license (I was not aware it had been suspended), spent $2,000 on a lawyer. After I managed to leave the Mason courthouse with a misdeamor, came out of my house to find a Mason patrol car parked outside my driveway etc etc.
Wow, another one! I'm sure the cop woke up that morning and said "Things are slow today, I feel like harassing someone!" And then they found an innocent victim in you! Did you ever stop to think that the parents, teachers, bus drivers and anyone else concerned with the school probably complain to the department on a daily basis about people speeding and the hazard it creates? The next thing I'm sure you are thinking is how cruel it is for the mean cop to sit there and wait for you to speed through that school zone? I know that here in Ohio we make our speed limit signs different from the rest of the country and being from Massachusetts there would be no way for you to have known what the real speed limit was? I'm sure Mason deliberatly hid the flashing yellow light high on a pole so that you wouldn't see it.

Sarcasm aside, you got your license suspended because you are an idiot. There is no fine print on the ticket. There is a big box right above the court information that says "To defendant (that's you) Personal Appearance Required". Did you think that a cop just hands you a ticket and then walks away for you to ignore it? I'm sure several weeks went by and obviously you did not try to pay a fine or intend to show up to court to fight the ticket or you would have known what to do...or you could have called and asked. You are a victim of your own ignorance and lack of common sense. If I got a ticket, I might ask someone what to do next...not wait until someone comes to ask me.
Are you serious

Florence, KY

#23 Oct 2, 2009
Jay wrote:
Watch out during the tennis tournament. They shorten the yellow lights on the roads around the tournament and lay in wait for red light violations. If you don't believe me, go time the yellow lights now and then time them again during the week of the tennis tournament. I got a $130 fine for going through a light there was no way I could stop for. The cop asked if I knew I ran it, and I said yes. He said he appreciated my honesty but because it was a school zone he had to give me the ticket. A school zone -- at 9 p.m. on a summer Saturday night.
Mean, mean, mean cops! How dare they sit and wait by a red light to see if someone runs it! Where do you think they should wait to find a red light violator? The interstate? Back in the subdivisions? Maybe out on the country roads? Seems to me like maybe the best place to find a red light violator, might be near a red light? But I'm sure there is no way you could stop for that red light because you probably were going to fast in the first place? To make it worse, you probably weren't paying attention to the roadway so you think the light changed at a different time than it actually did. Before you try and make it out like $130 is excessive for the fine because it is Mason, go get a ticket anywhere else in the state for the same thing. You might find the fine amount is about the same...wonder why that is? I'll admit, the school zone comment is a little ridiculous...that's why I think you are making it up just to get a rise out of people. Regardless, there are still activities going on at schools even during the summer. I seem to remember games happening on Saturdays? As far as the lights changing at different times: traffic during the tennis games is moving at a much slower rate, hence the need or lack of for a long yellow light. It's kind of basic traffic engineering principle, but I'm sure a person of your caliber already knew that. I bet you think they have a quota too?
Are you serious

Florence, KY

#24 Oct 2, 2009
Clean Living wrote:
Very little crime in Mason, and the PD will catch almost all of what there is. That's the good news. The bad news is that to justify their massive budget, the Mason PD will manufacture crime and criminals at every opportunity. Do not give them even the slightest opportunity or you will find yourself prosecuted to the maximum for something that you more than likely really did, and that is more than likely actually illegal, but that is rarely enforced anywhere else and rarely ticketed anywhere else. They give few warnings. The goal here is not to reduce crime or improve safety, it is raise the crime statistics and that means prosecution.
Manufacture crime? I'm sure any police officer will tell you that there is enough to deal with without having to make more work for yourself. Most police officers will also tell you that when things do calm down there is nothing better than enjoying the peace.

But since they have to justify the massive budget, where do you think the money goes? Once the court takes its cut which is about half of the fine or more, the rest gets chopped up between the state, the county, and the local jurisdiction. I think most areas will get about $10 to $20 of each citation? Since most areas pay police officers more than that it actually costs them money to write you a ticket. If not then wait until they pay overtime for the hours of paperwork and court appearances.

So, since you made the comment...how many warnings did Mason actually give versus the number of citations this past year? I'd be willing to bet your comment is totally without merit and you have no idea what the actual statistics are?

But you are right on one thing, the goal here is not to reduce crime but it is to improve public safety...which is an essential job function. The ultimate goal is to decrease crime statistics, that would mean that police officers are out doing there jobs and keeping crime away from the city.

I guess that is when they would have to start manufacturing criminals as you suggest?
Are you serious

Florence, KY

#25 Oct 2, 2009
fedupwithohio wrote:
i have a major gripe with mason city. i don't live there but was ticketed for an overlimit load on my truck. i went to court and had all the proof that my truck was not overlimit with pics and all and 2 weeks later they send me a letter tellin me i'm guilty and its over $500.00 because i'm not an expert in this field. i've been driving my truck for 20 years and i know the load limits and the right permits. not a single person was innocent in court the day i was there. with a courtroom that full someone is surely innocent. but i guess they have to pay for that courthouse somehow. i agree they find a reason to pull someone over and make that quota.
Seriously, there are only two ways you can get a ticket for over the limit loads. Your paperwork states the weight and you drove on a road that you were not permitted, or you were weighed on the traffic stop? What do the pictures have to do with anything? Where you transporting pictures of something and brought them as evidence? Otherwise, as far as I know a picture can really tell you how much something weighs, unless it is a picture of a scale?

I can't believe that out of all those people not a single person was innocent. Maybe it is because for almost all traffic violations a police officer actually has to witness the act? Wow, if it occurs in front of me, I saw it happen and I stop you there and tell you you're wrong and then give you a piece of paper to show you how I feel about it...there is a good chance you are going to be found guilty.

But you can take solace in the fact that with your ticket, the cop met his quota and got his set of stainless steel steak knives. He might have even got a certificate of acheivement?
fedupwithohio

Espanola, NM

#26 Oct 3, 2009
the pics were to show the equipment i was hauling and flag placement. they were all in the proper place. the problem came when they said it should of been taken apart which they (the law) said it would take 8 hrs to disassemble then haul it there and another 8 hrs to put it back together. provided the person knows what they are doing. this piece of equipment was not loaded wrong and the days were not there for it to be disassembled. considering we make a living by the run and not disassembling equipment.and yes not a single person was found not guilty that day. in a way that is a good thing for the crime rate in mason but some of the cases i heard did not justify the punishment mine included. i have been a truck driver for 20 years and yes i do know my job and its seriousness.hauling heavy equipment. i don't blame you for taking for your fellow officers. but my opinion is that mine was not justified and yes i do know of cases where the traffic violation was proven not to be the fact the ticket stated. i may not have a certificate to state i am an expert in my field but i have years of hands on experience driving this and the officer did not. hands on teaches more then any certificate ever will. you do not become an expert police officer when you get out of the police academy. it takes years of on the job training with any job. i have a commercial driving license to drive in all 50 states so yes i do know my job and i have never been cited for any permit violation in the last 20 years so i would say that is an excellent driving record for the job.
fedupwithohio

Espanola, NM

#27 Oct 3, 2009
and yes i do know of cops that pulls people over just because they have nothing to do at that time. i do know it happened to someone i know and when the parent got there they couldnt produce what they said they could to the teenager driving the car.
Are you serious

Florence, KY

#28 Oct 3, 2009
fedupwithohio: You assume too much. At no point did I claim to be a police officer. In fact, I don't know any of the officers in Mason. What I've noticed from following this posting is a bunch of people who are unable or unwilling to take personal responsibility for their actions. You yourself admitted that by law your equipment should have been transported in a different manner and that you felt there wasn't enough time to follow the law. I understand that you have many years of road time and that you are probably one of the more safer drivers on the street, that being said you will also never be able to accept when someone else tells you that all this experience considered you've still done something wrong. Regardless, this is why we have a checks and balances form of government: meaning the executive branch (police) gave you a ticket and the judicial branch checks to see if it was the correct action. In the event that you still are unable to accept the decisions of two seperate branches of government, you have the right to appeal that decision to the next higher level of court. Maybe this time get a lawyer.

I'm curious though, you keep mentioning the crime rate. What does this have to do with any traffic tickets in Mason? Enforcing traffic law has nothing to do with criminal statistics. Check the FBI's website for Uniform Crime Reports and you will see the types of issues that are considered "crimes".
fedupwithohio

Espanola, NM

#29 Oct 4, 2009
areyouserious...i was referring to the crime rate from the other posts. i have no clue about the crime rate in mason. i assume you are in the law profession because you seem to know so much about it and you stated that if you saw it happen etc. post 25. you seem like a smart person so please refer to the ohio dept of transportation on over weight/overdimensional permitted loads and read it and see what a divisible load is. please explain to me how you can use an excavator without its piece of attachment/bucket/hammer. with all the road construction in ohio they are moving equipment from one plae to another and they are not gonna waste a days work to disassemble their equipment and another days work to putit back together and the rules tells you that it is allowed. i will check the fbi website just out of coursioty. i mean nothing bad just venting my frustrations on a subject that i know about. in court that day i also told the officer a few things he was not aware of. we walked out together and had a civil conversation about it and he admitted he did not know that. i do have respect for the officers. he was in no way a jerk the whole time he had me stopped. he was just wrong in the way the permit laws are written.
bob

Warrenton, VA

#30 Oct 12, 2009
Mason, Ohio is my favorite town.
Oakhill park is beautful and crooked tree golf course is wonderful and the people our kind.
Our police force is great
Truth

Maineville, OH

#31 Oct 19, 2009
Lived here for 20+ years. Pay my taxes, go to work, come home, drive around... never have any problems. Seen MANY drivers do things they should have been ticketed for, but didn't... so..hum go figure. Maybe it is not just the police at fault here
sorry

AOL

#32 Oct 22, 2009
nobody ever said it was just the police there. just saying that sometimes (even in my county) the police throw their authority around. i know for a fact that people have gotten tickets and been arrested when it was not appropriate for the situation. i have a 25 yr. PERFECT driving record both on my job as a truck driver and regular driving. from road mileage i am an expert. i have the documented amount of miles to make me an expert at my profession. I proved my point in court that day and points to my job that the officer openly admitted he did not know. however i paid their salary that day givin the fact that i am from another state and that was a plus for your county. I read up on the road laws for ohio and i know i was not in the wrong. drove their many, many times before with the same type of load, flagged the exact same way, exact same wide load banner, went threw the exact same scales and never a problem in the past. this was not an issue with speeding so i do know i am not wrong. i read every state, federal local law for whatever i am to be driving in regularly. just to make sure no laws have changed. that is a job all truck drivers should follow. done with this issue now u will not here from me again. i'm all done with this issue and ohio. final words on the subject...no wonder ohio is going bankrupt...all these fines truck drivers are paying all over ohio is not gonna save you.
Average Citizen

Cincinnati, OH

#33 Nov 20, 2009
Are you serious wrote:
<quoted text>
Mean, mean, mean cops! How dare they sit and wait by a red light to see if someone runs it! Where do you think they should wait to find a red light violator? The interstate? Back in the subdivisions? Maybe out on the country roads? Seems to me like maybe the best place to find a red light violator, might be near a red light? But I'm sure there is no way you could stop for that red light because you probably were going to fast in the first place? To make it worse, you probably weren't paying attention to the roadway so you think the light changed at a different time than it actually did. Before you try and make it out like $130 is excessive for the fine because it is Mason, go get a ticket anywhere else in the state for the same thing. You might find the fine amount is about the same...wonder why that is? I'll admit, the school zone comment is a little ridiculous...that's why I think you are making it up just to get a rise out of people. Regardless, there are still activities going on at schools even during the summer. I seem to remember games happening on Saturdays? As far as the lights changing at different times: traffic during the tennis games is moving at a much slower rate, hence the need or lack of for a long yellow light. It's kind of basic traffic engineering principle, but I'm sure a person of your caliber already knew that. I bet you think they have a quota too?
Did it escape your attention that the City of Mason raised $3,000,000 (that's million!) dollars last year on fines and court costs. How do you think they are paying for the Taj Mahal City Administration Building they sit it?
Are you serious

Florence, KY

#34 Nov 20, 2009
sorry wrote:
nobody ever said it was just the police there. just saying that sometimes (even in my county) the police throw their authority around. i know for a fact that people have gotten tickets and been arrested when it was not appropriate for the situation. i have a 25 yr. PERFECT driving record both on my job as a truck driver and regular driving. from road mileage i am an expert. i have the documented amount of miles to make me an expert at my profession. I proved my point in court that day and points to my job that the officer openly admitted he did not know. however i paid their salary that day givin the fact that i am from another state and that was a plus for your county. I read up on the road laws for ohio and i know i was not in the wrong. drove their many, many times before with the same type of load, flagged the exact same way, exact same wide load banner, went threw the exact same scales and never a problem in the past. this was not an issue with speeding so i do know i am not wrong. i read every state, federal local law for whatever i am to be driving in regularly. just to make sure no laws have changed. that is a job all truck drivers should follow. done with this issue now u will not here from me again. i'm all done with this issue and ohio. final words on the subject...no wonder ohio is going bankrupt...all these fines truck drivers are paying all over ohio is not gonna save you.
Look, I don't know what you did...and you're being pretty vague about it anyway. But the fact is this, you went to court and you were found guilty! GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY! Just because you can't accept that fact doesn't mean that you weren't wrong. So if it is still such a big issue to you then exercise you rights and appeal the case. But until the court of appeals says otherwise, YOU ARE WRONG!
Are you serious

Florence, KY

#35 Nov 22, 2009
Average Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Did it escape your attention that the City of Mason raised $3,000,000 (that's million!) dollars last year on fines and court costs. How do you think they are paying for the Taj Mahal City Administration Building they sit it?
Nope, that would never escape my attention. You see it is kind of like when someone raises an ignorant argument much like the one you are trying to portray. It's hard to miss.

The fact is this - no one made any of the defendants break the law and subsequently end up in court. The laws are the same in Mason as anywhere else in the state! It's not like it could be a big surprise when you cross the municipal line.

You people need to stop complaining and take some personal responsibilty for your actions! If you are so distraught because courts are making money off criminals in order to support the continued efforts of law enforcement, then here is an answer - slow down, don't run red lights, don't drink and drive, obey the traffic laws, don't act like a fool and get arrested...in other words, OBEY THE LAW! If you aren't doing anything stupid then you won't get a ticket or arrested! Start with the simple things like keeping yourself out of trouble and maybe you can bankrupt these towns that make so much money from crime?

Oh, and by the way, the City of Mason and Mason Municipal Court are two different entities. It is true that some of the fines are distributed back to the arresting agency, but when you throw in the Warren County Sheriff's Office, Ohio State Patrol and then all of the programs the court maintains...how much money do you think is left to throw around? Maybe do some checking on the funds disbursement before you go off and ignorantly run at the mouth?
Twitch

Roswell, GA

#36 Nov 24, 2009
I went to school while living there from 4th grade to 12th. Now I'm in GA, go fig. But yeah ever since they hired all the new guys and stopped riding two per car, it would appear pretty easy to get by. As long as you're not a jackass you should be fine. Although of course the sheriffs are almost always pricks, and there's always bad apples of course. The ones I knew weren't that hard to get along with at all. Never ran into them though, cuz' yeah, I wasn't doing anything dumb like speeding or driving drunk. ^.^ They're alright in my book, although it must be said, that you have to know your rights, or yeah, they push them and will break them if you're not informed. Don't let them bring out the dogs for no reason, and don't give them a reason to even suggest it. Like don't get pulled over. Problem solved.
Disappointed in Mason

Hamilton, OH

#37 Jan 2, 2010
Moved to Mason about 2 years ago...wish I wouldn't have. I've gone to court numerous times because of my barking dogs. Granted, it was deserved a time or two, but not as many times as I received a ticket. Mostly because of harassing neighbors that live behind me. I ended up getting arrested and going to jail because of my dog barking. Now you tell me that they have NOTHING better to do? Of course my dog is going to bark when they are parked outside my house...that's the dogs job! I'm a single mom with an 11 year old, and I moved here because of the AWESOME school district. It has cost me so much money in court costs and missing work to live here. Its ridiculous!
Disappointed in Mason

Hamilton, OH

#38 Jan 2, 2010
fedupwithohio wrote:
the pics were to show the equipment i was hauling and flag placement. they were all in the proper place. the problem came when they said it should of been taken apart which they (the law) said it would take 8 hrs to disassemble then haul it there and another 8 hrs to put it back together. provided the person knows what they are doing. this piece of equipment was not loaded wrong and the days were not there for it to be disassembled. considering we make a living by the run and not disassembling equipment.and yes not a single person was found not guilty that day. in a way that is a good thing for the crime rate in mason but some of the cases i heard did not justify the punishment mine included. i have been a truck driver for 20 years and yes i do know my job and its seriousness.hauling heavy equipment. i don't blame you for taking for your fellow officers. but my opinion is that mine was not justified and yes i do know of cases where the traffic violation was proven not to be the fact the ticket stated. i may not have a certificate to state i am an expert in my field but i have years of hands on experience driving this and the officer did not. hands on teaches more then any certificate ever will. you do not become an expert police officer when you get out of the police academy. it takes years of on the job training with any job. i have a commercial driving license to drive in all 50 states so yes i do know my job and i have never been cited for any permit violation in the last 20 years so i would say that is an excellent driving record for the job.
I think I was in court with you that day.
Disappointed in Mason

Hamilton, OH

#39 Jan 2, 2010
Oh, and to add to my rant, I have a perfect driving record, never been arrested, never gone to jail, and have never been in any trouble of any kind.
johnny o

Middletown, OH

#40 Jan 27, 2010
i just saw the news that the 2 mason cops who executed a 39 year old man at the mason speedway with a stun gun were justified... how in the us can this happen, for asking for a date, he died,, sounds like a cover up. mason cops need to get rid of this bad publicity, what cop was seeing the girl.
Average Citizen

Cincinnati, OH

#41 Feb 10, 2010
Are you serious wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, that would never escape my attention. You see it is kind of like when someone raises an ignorant argument much like the one you are trying to portray. It's hard to miss.
The fact is this - no one made any of the defendants break the law and subsequently end up in court. The laws are the same in Mason as anywhere else in the state! It's not like it could be a big surprise when you cross the municipal line.
You people need to stop complaining and take some personal responsibilty for your actions! If you are so distraught because courts are making money off criminals in order to support the continued efforts of law enforcement, then here is an answer - slow down, don't run red lights, don't drink and drive, obey the traffic laws, don't act like a fool and get arrested...in other words, OBEY THE LAW! If you aren't doing anything stupid then you won't get a ticket or arrested! Start with the simple things like keeping yourself out of trouble and maybe you can bankrupt these towns that make so much money from crime?
Oh, and by the way, the City of Mason and Mason Municipal Court are two different entities. It is true that some of the fines are distributed back to the arresting agency, but when you throw in the Warren County Sheriff's Office, Ohio State Patrol and then all of the programs the court maintains...how much money do you think is left to throw around? Maybe do some checking on the funds disbursement before you go off and ignorantly run at the mouth?
Wow, talk about ignorant arguement.... they are both housed in the Taj Mahal city administration building I was speaking of.

Who do you think is paying for that complex? I am a mature adult, never been in trouble with the law, ever, and have seen the Mason police in action through my kids and their friends. One case thrown out of court due to police illegal entry and another for illegal search. And what about those citizens......whose cases were thrown out...... after they've paid a fortune in legal fees to protect themselves from police? I have always had a healthy respect for police and authority. After living in Mason I have developed a healthy disrespect. You don't live here, you don't know what goes on. And yes, I am moving from here very soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton to make September trip to Cinci... 58 min car007 122
News 74% of African-American children poverty strick... 1 hr hmm 18
Nude paddle punishment by adult stepson! (Aug '14) 1 hr mikedtw 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Chris 20,107
Debate: Marijuana - Cincinnati, OH (Aug '10) 13 hr Bob 81
Adult Children Ignore Me (Sep '13) Tue Catlover 32
the plan Tue Paula 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mason Mortgages