Abe Lincoln

Columbus, OH

#33425 Aug 31, 2014
Ted Strickland was in the pockets of the unions and drove business out of Ohio. If he were elected, watch the exodus again.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#33426 Aug 31, 2014
This was my first exposure to Sarah Palin, her first interview after McCain chose her for his running mate. The fact that she did not know what "the Bush Doctrine" was, and then tried to fake an answer was very troubling.

And a few days later, when Katie Couric asked what magazines or newspapers that she read, and she couldn't name even one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Those were not difficult questions.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#33427 Aug 31, 2014
Canton wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fsEoqm0pawwXX
Wow, good thing she never made it to VP. We are in such better hands now in case something happens to the President:

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
Abe Lincoln

Columbus, OH

#33428 Aug 31, 2014
Ted Strickland is a buddy to Barack Obama...Enough said!
stonewall

Cleveland, OH

#33429 Aug 31, 2014
We love us some Kasic.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#33430 Aug 31, 2014
DON W SOUTH wrote:
"Still don't know why he chose Palin over any others on his list."
FOUR reasons McCain selected SARAH:
1. She is a WOMAN
2. His campaign was on stall mode
3. He needed to appeal to right wingers, such as myself, to keep us from bolting to a third party.
4. She was a successful state governor, whereas, he is a legislator
I Can't suggest why McCain selected Sarah in particular because I know nothing of who else was on his 'list'. He could have easily selected someone of mixed race (like Obama is) or an Hispanic which would have been my 1st guess with a woman being my 2nd guess, for political reasons. Also for political reasons, he would have appeared to be pandering for votes IF he had picked a black or bi-racial. But of course ALL of the politicians are always pandering for votes.
They just try to not appear to be pandering.
Although, now that McCains name has come up numerous times, IF my memory serves me correctly, when his age was brought up during the various campaigns, he vowed to serve only 1 term which we will never know if that claim helped or hurt his number of votes. BUT since he ran for & won re-election as a senator, he will serve as long as the 2 terms as president. hmmm
Just saying....
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#33431 Aug 31, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>
Although, now that McCains name has come up numerous times, IF my memory serves me correctly, when his age was brought up during the various campaigns, he vowed to serve only 1 term...
Pops, he considered it, but never made that pledge.

"Several of McCain's closest friends, including former Sen. Phil Gramm (R-TX) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) had urged him not to tie his hand by making a one-term pledge, and McCain agreed with them."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2...
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#33432 Aug 31, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> I Can't suggest why McCain selected Sarah in particular because I know nothing of who else was on his 'list'.
"McCain had been rumored to be down to the names of Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, Charlie Crist of Florida, Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota, Sarah Palin of Alaska, and Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania. McCain initially wished to choose Lieberman, his close friend and the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee, as his running mate; however, Lieberman's liberal record (voting with Democrats 86.9% of the time in the 110th Congress)[5] and pro-choice stance led McCain's aides to veto the choice.[6] McCain, rejecting 'safer' choices such as Pawlenty or Romney, instead chose Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party...

I think that McCain chose the weakest one from that list. I would have gone with Pawlenty.
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> He could have easily selected someone of mixed race (like Obama is) or an Hispanic which would have been my 1st guess with a woman being my 2nd guess, for political reasons.
Nope, except for Sarah Palin, McCain's short list was all white guys.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#33433 Aug 31, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
"McCain had been rumored to be down to the names of Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, Charlie Crist of Florida, Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota, Sarah Palin of Alaska, and Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania. McCain initially wished to choose Lieberman, his close friend and the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee, as his running mate; however, Lieberman's liberal record (voting with Democrats 86.9% of the time in the 110th Congress)[5] and pro-choice stance led McCain's aides to veto the choice.[6] McCain, rejecting 'safer' choices such as Pawlenty or Romney, instead chose Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party...
I think that McCain chose the weakest one from that list. I would have gone with Pawlenty.
<quoted text>
Nope, except for Sarah Palin, McCain's short list was all white guys.
Except for Olympia Snowe of course.
Lieberman would have at least crossed another demographic line among others on the list.
Thanks for supplying this additional info. It is helpful.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#33434 Aug 31, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>
Lieberman would have at least crossed another demographic line among others on the list.
Yes, and he's certainly well qualified. But I don't think he helped Al Gore, and I don't think he would have helped McCain win his election. But he would have made a good Vice President. He and McCain have been longtime friends, and they would have worked well together.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#33435 Sep 1, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, good thing she never made it to VP. We are in such better hands now in case something happens to the President:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RLAw2_1IFx0XX
$he would have quit anyway and you would have more money to pay for insurance. What's the cost per month you pay for her channel and all the tissues and K-Y lube that you recently started buying? Reports have it that those sales soared in the fatboy, crybaby geezer demographic.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#33436 Sep 1, 2014
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
That interesting, but it doesn't tell us on what issues McCain was to the left of Obama. You said you voted for Obama because McCain was too far left. Come on man, there must be one or two issues that you can easily point to that explain your position. Unless of course, you are completely full of shit. That would explain this quite well, actually.
Obviously you are one of them that voted for McCain then is what you are trying to say because you have already proven you are full of shit since everyone knows McCain is a Liberal like yourself which explains why you think the way you do in your postings.

Location hidden

#33437 Sep 1, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here were the big differences between the two, back in 2008:
"McCain was a prominent and ardent supporter of the decision to invade Iraq and vows to keep U.S. troops there until the war is won. He recently said 2013 was a reasonable date for achieving that goal and ending U.S. involvement.
Obama, an Illinois senator, was an early opponent of the war who has promised to remove U.S. combat troops from Iraq within 16 months of taking office.
The chasm is similar on taxes. McCain supports extending President George W. Bush's cuts and cutting corporate tax rates, while Obama would let Bush's cuts expire for wealthy Americans -- those making more than $250,000 annually -- and raise capital gains tax rates, another item that normally affects primarily high-income earners.
McCain, an Arizona senator, opposed Bush's cuts when they were passed in 2001 and 2003 because he said they would increase the budget deficit and disproportionately favor the wealthy. He supports extending them now, saying they would offer help to a struggling economy.
The two already have clashed over Obama's opposition to McCain's idea of a summer holiday from the federal gasoline tax. Obama called it a political stunt that would provide little help, while McCain said the idea could give a slight boost to struggling families seeking a vacation.
Obama also would renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement, blamed by some Democrats and labor unions for costing U.S. jobs. McCain opposes amending the pact and says it has been beneficial.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/06/04/us-...

I don't see McCain being to the "left" of Obama on any of those issues. Maybe our friend from Indianapolis can point out a specific issue where that was the case.
Interesting that some here think of Obama as a very liberal President, but he wound up endorsing some of of McCain's positions when he became President. In the name of compromise, Obama made the Bush tax cuts permanent and went for McCain's "open market system" in healthcare (instead of the single-payer plan favored by most Democrats.)
It's also good to remember that McCain was right about the effect of the Bush tax cuts, when he said they "would increase the budget deficit and disproportionately favor the wealthy."
I think McCain might have made a good President, but he made a terrible mistake when he selected Palin for his Vice President. It was a reckless stunt. She was not equipped to become President if if he had been unable to serve his term.
Obviously you cant tell either the difference is a politician is for Liberalism or Conservatism either and another one that thinks all Republicans are Conservative and all Democrat are Liberals which is where you are wrong and you must be another one that cant seperate fact from fiction which even knows McCain is a Liberal.

Arizona GOP reprimands John McCain as too liberal

By BURGESS EVERETT | 1/26/14 1:14 PM EST

The Arizona Republican Party has formally reprimanded Sen. John McCain, censuring him for a liberal voting record and working with Democrats in Washington.

The state party adopted a resolution by voice vote condemning the five-term senator for a record that is “disastrous and harmful” to the nation during a party meeting in Tempe on Saturday. The resolution knocks McCain for being critical of his party’s conservative wing while staying “eerily silent against liberals,” working closely with Democrats on immigration reform and not backing a conservative strategy to defund Obamacare, which McCain long warned would result in October’s government shutdown.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/john-mc...

Location hidden

#33438 Sep 1, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you consider Sarah Palin's main successes as Governor? I know that she successfully resigned after only two years in office.
I Agree, Palin proved she was another Liberal just like McCain.

Location hidden

#33439 Sep 1, 2014
DON W SOUTH wrote:
"Still don't know why he chose Palin over any others on his list."
FOUR reasons McCain selected SARAH:
1. She is a WOMAN
2. His campaign was on stall mode
3. He needed to appeal to right wingers, such as myself, to keep us from bolting to a third party.
4. She was a successful state governor, whereas, he is a legislator
Palin wasn't successful and the only thing she was successful at was selling books but the Liberals in the Republican Party sure loved her and McCain along with the Liberal Demcorats.

Location hidden

#33440 Sep 1, 2014
<quoted text>
McCain's desperate appeal to the unconscious and drunk voters certainly worked on you.
Unconscious and Drunk Liberals Democrats loved McCain and considered McCain as one of their own.

Democratic and liberal support for John McCain in 2008

Senator John McCain, the Republican Party nominee, was endorsed or supported by some members of the Democratic Party and by some political figures holding liberal views in the 2008 United States Presidential Election. McCain Democrat and McCainocrat are terms applied to Democrats who supported McCain.

Democratic and liberal supporters of McCain included some elected officials, retired elected officials, journalists, and some supporters of Hillary Clinton's unsuccessful primary campaign. According to exit polls on Election Day, 10% of those who identified themselves as Democrats voted for John McCain, approximately the same percentage of Democrats' votes that George W. Bush won in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_and_l...

Location hidden

#33441 Sep 1, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
This was my first exposure to Sarah Palin, her first interview after McCain chose her for his running mate. The fact that she did not know what "the Bush Doctrine" was, and then tried to fake an answer was very troubling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Z75QSExE0jUXX
And a few days later, when Katie Couric asked what magazines or newspapers that she read, and she couldn't name even one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Those were not difficult questions.
Exactly proved she was a Liberal too just like McCain.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Seville, OH

#33442 Sep 1, 2014
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you are one of them that voted for McCain then is what you are trying to say because you have already proven you are full of shit since everyone knows McCain is a Liberal like yourself which explains why you think the way you do in your postings.
Not really. I just thought that since you said that McCain was too "left" for you and you voted for Obama instead that you would be able to articulate one issue on which McCain was too Obama's left. Obviously, asking you to be able to explain your rather extreme assertions is asking too much. Why am I not surprised?
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#33443 Sep 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Not really. I just thought that since you said that McCain was too "left" for you and you voted for Obama instead that you would be able to articulate one issue on which McCain was too Obama's left. Obviously, asking you to be able to explain your rather extreme assertions is asking too much. Why am I not surprised?
I think the reason that "Indy" won't answer that is because he's been joking with us all along. How else do you explain his latest decree?
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Palin wasn't successful and the only thing she was successful at was selling books but the Liberals in the Republican Party sure loved her and McCain along with the Liberal Demcorats.
Palin is a liberal??? That has to be a joke, right?
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Seville, OH

#33444 Sep 1, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the reason that "Indy" won't answer that is because he's been joking with us all along. How else do you explain his latest decree?
<quoted text>
Palin is a liberal??? That has to be a joke, right?
If only he were joking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taboo, kink, forbidden loving females.... looki... 18 hr chief 2
Heroin In Cinci (Jan '12) 19 hr Christa Eldridge 82
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Jim Jones 19,549
Tattoo's Tue Pops 6
Who's giving away toys 4 Christmas (Oct '09) Tue thedoctor 48
Sex, lies cost doctor license for two years (Nov '08) Tue Molson67 14
Cincinnati girl hurt at state fair challenges I... Mon Pops 1
Mason Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mason People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mason News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mason

Personal Finance