Who do you support for Governor in Oh...

“MAGA”

Since: May 13

Columbus, OH

#24563 Jan 26, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Two words: False Dilemma
"A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, black-and/or-white thinking, the either-or fallacy, the fallacy of false choice, the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, the fallacy of the false alternative or the fallacy of the excluded middle) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
Has it occurred to you that the United States could be both a democracy AND a republic?
http://www.state.gov/j/drl/democ/
The original poster I responded to claimed that The USA was a Democracy.
You injected the term PURE Democracy into the discussion.

re The EC....In a Democracy, Majority rules.
In 1824, John Quincy Adams, In 1876, Rutherford B. Hayes, In 1888, Benjamin Harrison,
and In 2000, George W. Bush lost the popular vote but became President......

But since you like Merriam Webster....
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rep...

re·pub·lic
a (1): a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2): a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government
b (1): a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2): a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government.......

Hence the term representative republic......
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#24565 Jan 26, 2014
Time for high tea with my lady friends. And, we will be discussing how OBAMA SUCKS.
Ignorance Is Bliss

San Francisco, CA

#24566 Jan 26, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean besides you...oops I meant Super Nutt being busted for being a total liar? Nothing paranoid about calling a clown out on their BS game. Like I did to you for instance.
Would it help you to stay focused if I didn't post from Chillicothe at all? Or is this diversion tactic exactly the "out" you need to avoid the facts?
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#24567 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
You can deny it, but it doesn't change facts. We have always been a federal republic. A constitutional republic and not a democracy.
How sad that all of these Presidents seem to be confused...

“Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people”
Abraham Lincoln

"The world must be made safe for democracy."
Woodrow T. Wilson

"Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."
Franklin D. Roosevelt

“The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.”
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man."
Ronald Reagan
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#24568 Jan 26, 2014
Free Pizza 4 U wrote:
<quoted text>
The original poster I responded to claimed that The USA was a Democracy....
Hence the term representative republic.
You never answered my question:
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Has it occurred to you that the United States could be both a democracy AND a republic?
Canton

Canton, OH

#24569 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't blame me, you voted or him.
Scary, except for the part where he never took your guns and produced his birth certificate. You know, paranoid stuff.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24570 Jan 26, 2014
Ignorance Is Bliss wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it help you to stay focused if I didn't post from Chillicothe at all? Or is this diversion tactic exactly the "out" you need to avoid the facts?
Sure, you were talking to the shirtless poster of Putin in your room the whole time.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24571 Jan 26, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
People are too damned cold to think about Comie Care. We're supposed to break a record low on Tuesday and others across the country are worried about getting enough fuel to stay warm.
Good, and by the time it warms up, seeing you are so shocked by cold weather in late January in Ohio, we will see the "worse than slavery" effects of Obamacare and you'll be yelling I told you so, from the cab of your haunted 18 wheeler..
Canton

Canton, OH

#24572 Jan 26, 2014
Helen Roper wrote:
Time for high tea with my lady friends. And, we will be discussing how OBAMA SUCKS.
Those old diseased hags? Judging by the cold sores around all your yapping mouths, I'd say it's you who needs to worry a little more about sucking.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24573 Jan 26, 2014
Don't trip over those 30,000 record high temps in one year when you claim winter proves there is no climate change. You know...those things called FACTS. I think Ford might have been the last time you guys used them. Doesn't matter now, considering even the GOP acknowledges you guys as a bunch of fringe group kooks. Wonder why? Must be Al Gore.

“MAGA”

Columbus, OH

#24574 Jan 26, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You never answered my question:
<quoted text>
re: your question

"Has it occurred to you that the United States could be both a democracy AND a republic?"

Since you are leaving out your qualifier "pure" no.

A Republic and a Democracy are two different forms of government..

Again in a Democracy......
The civil rights act of 1964 would not exist.
Women would not have the right to vote.
etc. etc.

In a Democracy, the majority makes the rules and the minority is at the mercy of the majority.

http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsde...
seriously

Chillicothe, OH

#24575 Jan 26, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, you were talking to the shirtless poster of Putin in your room the whole time.
Are you even capable of coherent thought?
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#24577 Jan 26, 2014
Free Pizza 4 U wrote:
<quoted text>
It, being the United States of America is a REPUBLIC. The United States is NOT a Democracy!!!!!!!
Again, and say this slowly; the USA is a Representative Republic.That is why we do NOT have majority / mob rule.
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because we have a representative form of government, does not mean it is not a democracy. Here's the definition of "democracy" from dictionary.com :
"de·moc·ra·cy
noun, plural de·moc·ra·cies.
government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/democr...
You are probably confusing the general term "democracy" with the more specific "direct democracy" or "pure democracy."
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, what you are thinking of is "pure democracy": http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pur...
Free Pizza 4 U wrote:
<quoted text>
re: your question
"Has it occurred to you that the United States could be both a democracy AND a republic?"
Since you are leaving out your qualifier "pure" no.
OK, I'll try once more to explain this to you. "Democracy" is a broad term, which includes both pure democracies and representative democracies. You are confusing the broader term "democracy" with the more specific "pure democracy." The USA is not a "pure democracy", but it is a "representative democracy." That's why the dictionary definitions for "democracy" are correct, and why all those Presidents I quoted refer to the US as a democracy.

"Direct democracy, sometimes called "pure democracy," is a form of democracy in which the people themselves, rather than elected representatives, determine the laws and policies by which they are governed.

Direct democracy is the opposite of the more common "representative democracy," under which the people elect representatives empowered to create laws and policies. Ideally, the laws and policies enacted by the elected representatives in a representative democracy reflect the will of the people.

While the United States practices representative democracy, as embodied in the U.S. Congress and the state legislatures, three forms of limited direct democracy are practiced at the state and local level: ballot initiatives and referendums, and recall of elected officials."

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepoliticalsys...
Pops

Fort Thomas, KY

#24578 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
Purely semantics. Would a democratic republic wet your appetite?
People have a right to argue any opinion but since we elect our reps by ballot, I have often call this a democratic republic myself.
One societal problem out there is that too many voters & so called representatives seem to forget that once elected, that person is supposed to represent EVERYONE that makes up their constituency. NOT ONLY the agenda of the majority.'ONLY' being the operative word here.
Of course some issues are one side or the other on voting such as balancing a budget, but how to balance it may be negotiable or fence straddling.
A lot can be explained about that, or examples given but I have made simple statement.
I don't stroke 300-500 or more keys a minute so I tend to be brief, too brief because of it at times. A little arthritis issue.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24579 Jan 26, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
We're already seeing the negative effects of Commie Care. Thousands losing their jobs, others that kept their job were demoted from full-time to part-time, millions losing their healthcare plans they loved so dearly, and we're just getting started.
No need to back up your claims...we all know someone who...ha ha ha ha. Back up your claims with a link. Also, one would think your "outrage" would only grow. Instead, it seems your guy's "outrage" is shuffling sheepishly back into the shadows.
Pops

Fort Thomas, KY

#24580 Jan 26, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
How sad that all of these Presidents seem to be confused...
“Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people”
Abraham Lincoln
"The world must be made safe for democracy."
Woodrow T. Wilson
"Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."
Franklin D. Roosevelt
“The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.”
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man."
Ronald Reagan
Something amazing about this list of quotes is that it has presidents of both major parties & it is reasonable to count Reagan in each party at one time or another.

“MAGA”

Columbus, OH

#24581 Jan 26, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
OK, I'll try once more to explain this to you. "Democracy" is a broad term, which includes both pure democracies and representative democracies. You are confusing the broader term "democracy" with the more specific "pure democracy." The USA is not a "pure democracy", but it is a "representative democracy." That's why the dictionary definitions for "democracy" are correct, and why all those Presidents I quoted refer to the US as a democracy.
"Direct democracy, sometimes called "pure democracy," is a form of democracy in which the people themselves, rather than elected representatives, determine the laws and policies by which they are governed.
Direct democracy is the opposite of the more common "representative democracy," under which the people elect representatives empowered to create laws and policies. Ideally, the laws and policies enacted by the elected representatives in a representative democracy reflect the will of the people.
While the United States practices representative democracy, as embodied in the U.S. Congress and the state legislatures, three forms of limited direct democracy are practiced at the state and local level: ballot initiatives and referendums, and recall of elected officials."
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepoliticalsys...
From the start of our conversation, I have taken the time to read all of the links you have posted. Clearly there has been no reciprocity by you.
http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsde...
http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A4Sec4.h...

I understand exactly what your point is,
Yet again I will repeat, you responded to a reply by me to another poster who stated that the US was a Democracy.
For some reason you feel that I must accept your definition of the single word Democracy and the unmentioned caveats by the original poster that have been added by you.

here is the link
http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/TSQIM5LRS...
and here is the comment
"LOL! Exactly, because it's a democracy, we decide those things by vote...:)"

Possibly you should be explaining to him what he is allowed to vote for in a representative republic..........and why don't we just agree to disagree?
Canton

Canton, OH

#24582 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you even capable of coherent thought?
OK FEMA death camp. It wasn't my side that declared Putin a "Conservative Hero". This of course after months of listening to Tea Baggers call hard working, tax paying and proud Americans "a bunch of commies". Are you even capable of anything other than inbred, gun show conspiracies? Funny, Super Mutt get's so quiet when you are talking.
seriously

Chillicothe, OH

#24584 Jan 26, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
OK FEMA death camp. It wasn't my side that declared Putin a "Conservative Hero". This of course after months of listening to Tea Baggers call hard working, tax paying and proud Americans "a bunch of commies". Are you even capable of anything other than inbred, gun show conspiracies? Funny, Super Mutt get's so quiet when you are talking.
I suspect that your past dealings with Super Mutt has your panties in a bunch, but why all the insults and personal attacks? Do you expect to be taken seriously or are you just here to try and make waves?
seriously

Chillicothe, OH

#24585 Jan 26, 2014
Free Pizza 4 U wrote:
For some reason you feel that I must accept your definition of the single word Democracy and the unmentioned caveats by the original poster that have been added by you.
Reading through here, it seems to me these democrats would just feel better if we were a democracy rather than a republic due to the implications thereof.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Maria salzora 21,289
Little Miami Tax ! 16 hr Enough 2
Kelli Prather for city council Fri Rok 9
Marian bause (Sep '15) Thu nadia 6
News Gay Methodist minister David Meredith, church c... Thu Shirvell s Shrivel 3
News Man With World's Worst Forehead Tattoo Is Arres... Oct 18 OneWomynRiot 6
Kings Mills Music Thread (May '12) Oct 17 Musikologist 19

Mason Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mason Mortgages