Comments
21,981 - 22,000 of 30,529 Comments Last updated 56 min ago

Since: Aug 12

United States

#24103 Jan 19, 2014
Van Wert has everything go over his head like a space shuttle.
Sarah

Lima, OH

#24104 Jan 19, 2014
all politicians r crooks
Canton

Canton, OH

#24105 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about that. I think the problem is we don't have enough people that are into politics like us here. Many people don't understand it. I had a report and I don't know if I kept it, but they did a survey years ago asking people questions about how they would like to see the country operate, what they would change, what they would like to see promoted and things like that.
As it turned out, many people had conservative values and didn't even know it. Some were diehard conservatives and were shocked to find out.
Liberals divide Americans and have been quite successful damaging the Republican name and conservative ideology. Democrat--good, Republican--bad. People that don't have that much of an interest in politics or policies just believe it too. So how does a real conservative stand a chance?
I think Nixon did more harm to the GOP than the Dems did. Also, with comments like "legitimate rape" and saying seniors and vets are just looking for a hand out, the GOP does just fine at making themselves look bad without anyone's help. I also wouldn't say that the Dems divided the nation, when you have so many propaganda outlets like Fox and MSNBC who make money off of making sure we are a divided nation. I think the fact that people toss around names like Reagan or GW when the word Conservative is mentioned speaks volumes, seeing they were far from Conservative.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24106 Jan 19, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>You didn't ask me, but I have serious thoughts on this question.
TRUE Conservatives are too far to one side of the political spectrum to ever garner a majority of the votes.
On a scale of 1-10 with let's say, a Marxist being a 1 & lets say a Libertarian being a 10, one must be somewhere from a 3 to an 8 OR at least pose as such during the campaigns. The more moderate (4-6) appearing compared to their opponent, the more likely a win.
It's no wonder that so many politicians are also lawyers. They are learned & practiced at word usage.
Pops, I mostly agree with you, but I think it's more complicated than that. Our country is mostly a mix of moderates and conservatives. Extreme conservatives and extreme liberals are both minorities. Where it get strange is if you look at the composition of political parties. Both Democrats and Independents are mixtures, with moderates in both groups constituting the majority. But both Democrats and Independents have large numbers that identify themselves as conservative and liberal, too. But the Republican party is composed overwhelmingly of conservatives, with few moderates and almost no liberals. This Gallup poll explains it better (and with more detail):

http://www.gallup.com/poll/120857/conservativ...
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#24108 Jan 19, 2014
Republican 101 wrote:
Narcotics aren't people, but corporations are.
And truckers aren't uneducated slobs, they're qualified emissions experts...
Derrr!!!
guess what......corporations are people.

arguing means you are not a people.

that would explain a lot about you.....you are not real.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24109 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were an auto manufacturer, and invented a car that would last forever and never break down, would you market such a vehicle? If you were a dentist that invented a pill that stopped cavities in anybody that took the pill, would you market it and put yourself and all your fellow dentists out of business? If not, then why would climate scientists ever admit that man has nothing to do with any climate change that we have?
Xxxrayted, this is a comment you made a few days ago, and I just keep thinking about it. Your underlying idea is that everything can be reduced to "how much money will this make for me." That may be the way that your mind works, but I doubt it. Would you do ANYTHING if the price was right? Have you ever performed a selfless act? Money is a big motivator, but not the only one.

After Pearl Harbor, a lot of American men volunteered for military service because of patriotism, not money. Most Olympic athletes will never make a dime from their efforts, but they will spend much time and effort trying to succeed. Most musicians have another job that will help them to survive. They play because it gives them pleasure.

Scientists are not motivated only by money. Most could make far more in a different profession. They are interested in understanding how things work. They realize that their name will always be associated with their products. If they fake or conceal information, their reputation will be damaged, not for a few days, but forever. If they make one great discovery, they will be remembered for generations.

You are probably too young to personally remember the horror of polio, but I bet you know the names of Salk and Sabin. Neither one of them profited financially from their vaccines. But they lived the rest of their life as heroes, and continue to be remembered.

Also, your comment suggests that if global warming is not true, climate scientists would be "put out of business." You seem to think that if global warming was suddenly found to be incorrect, there would suddenly be no work for climate scientists. Why should that be? Do you think a whole area of science would suddenly vanish if one question was answered decisively? That doesn't even make sense.

I rambled on for so long, because I believe you now accept that the vast majority of climate scientists endorse the idea of manmade climate change. That's why you are trying hard to come up with an explanation that doesn't force you to alter your worldview. What you are proposing is that there is a worldwide conspiracy of climate scientists to dupe the public. The only possible reason you can come up with is greed, but that doesn't wash.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24111 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know many people that used the word conservative and GW in the same sentence including myself. GW was responsible for the medicare expansion, giving money to Africa to fight aids in an apparent attempt to buy black votes in this country, responsible for his idiotic environmental crap like light bulbs and lower emission diesel fuel that hurts transportation companies, and his passing out debit cards to Katrina victims was hardly a conservative move at all.
Democrats are experts on dividing this country. I mean, Republicans were against government forcing insurance companies to cover birth control pills, and that's a war on women? Now anything you say about that big-eared creep is racist, and that's what they promote and people are brainwashed enough to believe it.
Democrats have no ideas and never did outside of taxing the rich and giving it to the poor. It's more productive for them to promote how evil the Republicans are. Republicans don't like blacks, gays, women, uninsured citizens, poor people and the list goes on and on. That's how Democrats get power in this country; to turn everybody against Republicans. Their promotion of hate really works unfortunately.
I agree that GW Bush is the opposite of Conservative, but who got him elected twice? The Conservatives. It's going to be tough to sell me on the concept that it was the Democrats who divided this nation when I have seen old black and white footage of Conservative Christian Republicans pointing their fingers and banging on the pulpit and preaching the evils of blacks, gays, young people, Elvis, Rock and Roll, the public school system, science, atheists, Muslim Americans... and in the footage I saw of Ronald Reagan when he was young, he referred to the youth of the counter culture as something less than animal. Whether you realize it or not, the Conservative Christian right has behaved for many decades as if they had a monopoly on god and country. That is not what this nation was founded upon and many Americans have now realized that the same people who point their fingers and judge others, as they have for so many years, often times end up being ten times more vile and wicked than the "sinners, Liberals and commies" they have been pointing at. That is why the Tea Party is failing right now. Because they are really just older, white, Christian Conservative right wing extremists, and the whole cashing in on Jesus for a corporate or political agenda has worn thin.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24112 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the thing for me: when you mix politics with anything, always suspect a rat in the room. I have no problem with man-made global warming provided it has some kind of evidence. Rain, snow or wind is not evidence to me.
While I have no religion even though I was raised Catholic, I do believe that this world was created by a supreme being. I believe that supreme being put all life here and gave us a planet that would accommodate our needs. Does it work perfect all the time? No, but that's what paradise is supposed to be.
Non believers call this "nature" or perhaps "mother nature." I don't believe for one minute that this supreme gave us the power to destroy this planet. We can end mans existence, animals and insects, but we don't have the power to destroy this planet. Even if we ended all life here, eventually, it will start again if it is God's will.
I also believe that God (mother nature) has a cleansing process we've yet to understand. It's been going on for many centuries after volcanic activity, fires and all that carbon dioxide that we and animals breathe out of our bodies. So they say, water vapor is one of the worst culprits of global warming. How has all this cleaned itself up these millions of years?
I don't believe climate change started during the industrial buildup of this world, I believe that climate change is as old as the earth itself. And even if we stopped every motorized vehicle, closed down every factory, we would still have climate change.
Speaking of which, how much money would we have to payout to satisfy environmentalists? 10 trillion, 50 trillion, 100 trillion? What? Because if there is no end game here, all we are really doing is burning up our money to stop something we have no ability to stop.
Do you believe that Jesus was God's son? Is that what you mean when you say "non-believers", because I, like the majority of the founders of this nation, consider myself a Deist. That's my own personal belief, and like all religion, it is why it doesn't belong any way near a science class or a political speech or in Sarah Palin's case when she was selling a pipeline in front of her church congregation as being "God's will", an energy industry corporate agenda..
Canton

Canton, OH

#24113 Jan 19, 2014
There is obvious and very clear evidence that the industrial revolution was the start of our climate changing, and the fact that the planet's climate has changed in the past, doesn't change this scientifically proven fact. I think people owe the future generations of young people a little more of a try than to throw our hands in the air and say there's nothing anyone can ever do about it. Did you know that Exxon Mobile doesn't consider itself an American company? Are you aware that the rightwing Conservative group called Citizens United got something passed that allows foreign corporations to donate unlimited amounts of money to our American elections without disclosing how much or where it came from? That means China, or anyone out of our country for that matter, could be swaying our nations elections. Does this sound American to you? Are these wealthy out of country contributions coming from the "Patriots" I always hear you guys talking about? Is the oil billionaire sponsored Tea Party really what anyone would call grassroots? This is all about corporate and religious agendas, fueled by people who are willing to enforce fascism on this country to get what they think is best for them. Before you randomly start blurting out liar, I worked for Citizens United and shook David Bossie's slimy hand. I have seen behind the curtain of the real face of rightwing Conservatism and can tell you first hand that they are responsible for selling out America.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24114 Jan 19, 2014
The "job creators" realized decades ago that money doesn't give a rat's @ss about any country's borders in this global econmy, yet these offshore "patriots" are the first to wave their little flags and blame the American workers.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24115 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the thing for me: when you mix politics with anything, always suspect a rat in the room. I have no problem with man-made global warming provided it has some kind of evidence. Rain, snow or wind is not evidence to me.
While I have no religion even though I was raised Catholic, I do believe that this world was created by a supreme being. I believe that supreme being put all life here and gave us a planet that would accommodate our needs. Does it work perfect all the time? No, but that's what paradise is supposed to be.
Non believers call this "nature" or perhaps "mother nature." I don't believe for one minute that this supreme gave us the power to destroy this planet. We can end mans existence, animals and insects, but we don't have the power to destroy this planet. Even if we ended all life here, eventually, it will start again if it is God's will.
I also believe that God (mother nature) has a cleansing process we've yet to understand. It's been going on for many centuries after volcanic activity, fires and all that carbon dioxide that we and animals breathe out of our bodies. So they say, water vapor is one of the worst culprits of global warming. How has all this cleaned itself up these millions of years?
I don't believe climate change started during the industrial buildup of this world, I believe that climate change is as old as the earth itself. And even if we stopped every motorized vehicle, closed down every factory, we would still have climate change.
Speaking of which, how much money would we have to payout to satisfy environmentalists? 10 trillion, 50 trillion, 100 trillion? What? Because if there is no end game here, all we are really doing is burning up our money to stop something we have no ability to stop.
How much should we spend on our environment? How about we start with the millions of dollars the oil industry spent to refute climate change. A stance they since then have completely abandoned. At least publically that is. Now that they can hide where the money is coming from, it has been proven that they are playing both sides of the fence when it comes to climate change. Let me know if you need a source on that.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24117 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with man-made global warming provided it has some kind of evidence.
Here is a summary of the evidence that has persuaded the vast majority of climate scientists that global warming is real:

"Sea level rise

Global sea level rose about 17 centimeters (6.7 inches) in the last century. The rate in the last decade, however, is nearly double that of the last century.

Global temperature rise

All three major global surface temperature reconstructions show that Earth has warmed since 1880. Most of this warming has occurred since the 1970s, with the 20 warmest years having occurred since 1981 and with all 10 of the warmest years occurring in the past 12 years. Even though the 2000s witnessed a solar output decline resulting in an unusually deep solar minimum in 2007-2009, surface temperatures continue to increase.
Warming oceans

The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of 0.302 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969.

Shrinking ice sheets

The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost 150 to 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year between 2002 and 2006, while Antarctica lost about 152 cubic kilometers (36 cubic miles) of ice between 2002 and 2005.

Declining Arctic sea ice

Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.

Glacial retreat

Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa.

Extreme events

The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events.

Ocean acidification

Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent. This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Additionally, scientists are able to examine atmospheric CO2 levels over the past 650,000 years. During all that time, it was never greater than 300 parts per million, until the middle of the 20th Century. It currently is at almost 400 parts per million and continues to rise.

Is this enough evidence for you?

Since: Jan 14

Chillicothe, OH

#24118 Jan 19, 2014
I can't think of any climate change more extreme than the five Ice Ages that the earth has supposedly experienced. The glaciers melted after each one, too. The next Ice Age is due in about 50,000 years.

There's a reason global warming scientists have to lie about their research, ya know. It's not real.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24119 Jan 19, 2014
Super Mutt wrote:
I can't think of any climate change more extreme than the five Ice Ages that the earth has supposedly experienced. The glaciers melted after each one, too. The next Ice Age is due in about 50,000 years.
There's a reason global warming scientists have to lie about their research, ya know. It's not real.
Strange though that the reason you know about ice ages is because you learned it from those scientist "liars". Perhaps they only lie when you need them to.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24120 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't ask where we should start. We started decades ago. I asked where it will end.
Well...which of these can man survive without...

Air
Water
Oil

Now how concerned should we be about the folks who make abstract amounts of money off of oil, while destroying the air and water? I'm thinking breathable air and drinkable water might even be slightly more important than Obama's birth certificate.

“Hereeeeee'ssss UR Pizza”

Since: May 13

Columbus, OH

#24121 Jan 19, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...which of these can man survive without...
Air
Water
Oil
Now how concerned should we be about the folks who make abstract amounts of money off of oil, while destroying the air and water? I'm thinking breathable air and drinkable water might even be slightly more important than Obama's birth certificate.
hmmm

How long do you think you will "survive" if oil suddenly becomes unavailable?

For instance, do you think food magically appears on the shelf at your grocery store?

What do you think that keyboard you regularly spew on is made of?

No doubt you would like to do away with all fossil fuels so forget about heat and electricity as well.

Here is obama on video telling you about his plan to save the planet.

No doubt you are not worried about the cost of utilities "skyrocketing" but I bet your Mom is........
UgottaGimmeThat

Van Wert, OH

#24124 Jan 19, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's so easy, why don't you try it sometime? I see your posts here throughout the day so obviously you don't have a job. Heck, some places are willing to train you and pay you at the same time.
Like everything else in life, the point I was making flew right over your head: There are jobs out there, it's just we have more and more people who don't want to work. Democrat leadership is making this a lazy country. Many companies are starting to bring in foreigners because those people are too happy to have a job. With Americans, it has to be a certain job, with certain hours, with certain benefits, within a certain distance from home, or they'll just go on some public program.
It's a damn shame what's happening to our country.
You do realize it's Sunday, and some people get days off, right?
It's okay though, you and banjo boy just keep telling yourselves that anyone who disagrees with you MUST be unemployed. It's the only card you really have left to play...
I'll keep living my life, with money I actually EARNED, and laughing right in your uneducated teabagger faces.:-)

United States

#24125 Jan 19, 2014
Canton wrote:
The "job creators" realized decades ago that money doesn't give a rat's @ss about any country's borders in this global econmy, yet these offshore "patriots" are the first to wave their little flags and blame the American workers.
So why do democrats keep incentivizing job creators to go offshore?
UgottaGimmeThat

Van Wert, OH

#24126 Jan 19, 2014
"The new truck driver is college educated, and he smells great too", said no job creator EVER...

United States

#24127 Jan 19, 2014
UgottaGimmeThat wrote:
"The new truck driver is college educated, and he smells great too", said no job creator EVER...
Do you realize you've never said one intelligent thing ever? You're always in the 4th grader that flunked twice persona.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the music thread (Apr '12) 1 hr Musikologist 23
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr see the light 18,872
Adult Children Ignore Me (Sep '13) 3 hr Bill daddy 23
What are they building next to white castle? Thu JeffersonBurton 3
Just because it is The South lebanon Forum... Thu JeffersonBurton 1
No Charges For Farm Owner in Cow Beating Video (Jul '10) Thu honesty2010 13
Duke Energy Rip Off (Jul '09) Aug 27 High and Dry in NC 32
•••
Mason Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mason Jobs

•••