Ohio Health Care Association, Kasich ...

Ohio Health Care Association, Kasich feud over proposed cut to nursing homes | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 88 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 9, 2011, titled Ohio Health Care Association, Kasich feud over proposed cut to nursing homes | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

MASON, Ohio The state's nursing home lobby has its television commercial. Gov. John Kasich has the bully pulpit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
wiseguy

United States

#84 May 10, 2011
I am so happy that Kasich is geting the government out of our lives as he promised. This is what the last elecion was all about; so suck it up and take care of your own grandmom because after all this is what we voted for!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#85 May 10, 2011
FED UP wrote:
Is there anyone left in this State that King Kasuck has not p.i.s.s.e.d. off?
John Kasich is an idiot! Him and his drug agenda and all his budget cuts hurting those in need...man he pisses me off neary every day!
Tcb11960

Houston, TX

#86 May 10, 2011
Kasich lies. First he claims he is going to move more people out of nursing homes tom home health. Really? Passport, the entity that runs Medicaid home health does not have anyone waiting to get in their programs. Anyone that wants and is able to be home is home. Secondly, his budget proposes a 3% cut for Passport. That is how he shows support for home health? Third, the state already screens every Medicaid nursing facility admission to see if they can go somewhere else for care like home health or assisted living. These programs have been in place for ten years. The only real savings he shows is by doing an old fashion rate cut to nursing homes. This is not new policy or anything else.
Nursing facilities get about $6.86 per hour to take care of the sickest and frailest citizens of this state. That's less than minimum wage. Passport pays $27.00 for one hour of home health aide care and will only cover two hours of care a day. The other 22 hours? Good luck. Nursing facilities would get $648 a day if they were paid that rate and would only provide nurse aides, but at least it would be for 24 hours of care. Which is more efficient and delivers higher quality care?
lance

Cleveland, OH

#87 May 10, 2011
I congratulate Kasich for having the guts to stand up to the nursing home lobby. For too many years, the nursing home lobby has had its way with the legislature.

Many of the nursing home operators prey on the poor and uneducated. Taxpayers have been forced to pay excessive fees for service that is often substandard.

Many nursing home operators have become extremely wealthy, thanks to us, the taxpayers of Ohio. No wonder they are fighting Kasich tooth and nail!
Obamacare

New York, NY

#88 May 10, 2011
I thought the wonderful, wonderful Obamacare health plan was going to take care of all of these issues.

What? It's not working?
knowbettadenu2

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#89 May 10, 2011
lance wrote:
I congratulate Kasich for having the guts to stand up to the nursing home lobby. For too many years, the nursing home lobby has had its way with the legislature.
Many of the nursing home operators prey on the poor and uneducated. Taxpayers have been forced to pay excessive fees for service that is often substandard.
Many nursing home operators have become extremely wealthy, thanks to us, the taxpayers of Ohio. No wonder they are fighting Kasich tooth and nail!
I would like to know if they gave any money to his campaign...
CLINTONVILLE RESIDENT

Columbus, OH

#90 May 10, 2011
Joseph wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but it is actually the nursing home corporations that are pocketing that money. You're right: good care and conditions is the right of everyone, but it's not politics that is the problem with this particular issue. It's the fat cat nursing home companies.
How much do you figure those (sensational) TV commercials cost? Think "millions".
Then the answer is to introduce legislation to limit how much they can profit off medicaid. Cutting funding will only mean less care given and an increase in prices to those that are self pay. When was the last time you saw an admin take a pay cut?
dee

Columbus, OH

#91 May 10, 2011
kasich is a bully pure and simple. he will bully anoyone who does not agree with him. why are they scare tactics of seniors when nursing homes put ads on tv but not scare tactics when republicans use the same tactics regarding the health care act?? both are telling lies and somewhere in the middle is the truth. lets hear the real truth and not the ideas put out there to spread confusion. kasich and his legislators are bought and paid for. they just did not receive enough money from this lobby. i would like to see fewer people in nursing homes and more services provided to help people stay at home BUT i don't think kasich and his loyalists will put the saved money into these programs they will use it for their own personal wish list. the kasich wish list is different than the publics wish list. the public does not have any lobbyist because kasich is doing away with them one by one thru budget cuts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 8 hr Big Ray 21,271
Holiday Ca$h 12 hr Steve 2
lovita williams sibcy cline 17 hr Mendz on the Boast 1
Joe Deters /////// Marvin Lewis Swap ? Sun Pops 1
AJ Greens Misguided Behavior Sun Bungles Suk 4
News Lady Gaga at Super Bowl LI (Feb '17) Dec 9 Life sux 4 antitr... 14
USPS distribution center Dec 8 POPS 10

Mason Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mason Mortgages