Ohio Health Care Association, Kasich ...

Ohio Health Care Association, Kasich feud over proposed cut to nursing homes

There are 29 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from May 9, 2011, titled Ohio Health Care Association, Kasich feud over proposed cut to nursing homes. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

The state's nursing home lobby has its television commercial. Gov. John Kasich has the bully pulpit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
r u kidding

Springfield, OH

#1 May 9, 2011
Obviously our Governor doesn't know anything about this industry. Under Strickland, Ohio doubled the bed tax on nursing homes. This has shut the doors on alot of family run nursing homes. Nursing homes get an average of about $100 per day for those on medicare, which I doubt leads to a life of luxury since the home has to pay for staff, utilities, space, and the all important bed tax. Kasich merely inherited the bed tax, but this makes 99% of the homes now owned by corporations. Kasich is cutting funding all across the board - it will take years to over turn his slash and burn policy so corporations can continue to profit from tax abatements while the avergage Ohioan pays for the funding of Ohio with income tax, property tax and sales tax. Want an end to the madness? Outlaw tax abatements so Kasich's friends can start paying their own way as well and everything can be funded.
qqq

Columbus, OH

#2 May 10, 2011
I don't see why i should have to pay for someone else's nursing. They should pay for it themselves. The cuts make sense to me.
Jack Mehoff

Columbus, OH

#3 May 10, 2011
Kasich said, "No group should use political influence to run public policy in the state of Ohio."

Well, you do governor.
Moving to Texas

United States

#4 May 10, 2011
Kasich haters just want the status quo. That's what has got us a terrible economy. Kasich has the courage to attempt change and he should be given credit, and support. How can people be so ignorant to believe that it is remotely possible to continue with the policies of the dems and unions that has gotten us in the mess we're in? The dems believe in selling government and the unions and other special interest believe in paying for it.
Kaysuck

Hilliard, OH

#5 May 10, 2011
The only people I support my rich big biz buddies. I want to privatize, so workers lose jobs. Hire new workers at lower pay, with no benefits. My rich buddies accumulate more wealth at the hands of the working people. I am a Christian man and God tells me this is the right thing to do.
ed wood

Chillicothe, OH

#6 May 10, 2011
"No group should use political influence to run public policy in the state of Ohio." Except the one's that bought you, right?
What's the matter gov, didn't they contribute to your campaign? Like the unions?
Jack C

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 May 10, 2011
"No group should use political influence to run public policy in the state of Ohio."
Does Kasich listen to his own words??? A look at the school charter expansion and the input HIS supporters has had in the budget process... what an idiot!

Balance the budget on the backs of those least able to care for themselves while cutting taxes for the rich... to be expected from this one term Governor. Follow the money!
Question

Waterville, OH

#8 May 10, 2011
It's a good thing only the nursing home lobby gets to influence politics in Ohio with contributions. Maybe the OEA ought to try. Maybe someone should instruct David Brennan how to win friends and influence people? Having said all of that, the nursing homes are making a mistake with the TV ad. Not the way to go in this case. They should take it off the air.
Teach

Columbus, OH

#9 May 10, 2011
John Kasich is an embarrassment to Ohioans.
Not Rich

United States

#10 May 10, 2011
Question wrote:
It's a good thing only the nursing home lobby gets to influence politics in Ohio with contributions. Maybe the OEA ought to try. Maybe someone should instruct David Brennan how to win friends and influence people? Having said all of that, the nursing homes are making a mistake with the TV ad. Not the way to go in this case. They should take it off the air.
Why should they take the ads down? Does it make Kasich look bad?
Jack Mehoff

United States

#11 May 10, 2011
Moving to Texas wrote:
The dems believe in selling government
And the Republicans don't? Kasich, a Republican, wants to sell off 5 state prisons, sell the lottery and liquor agency, already sold DOD and is looking at more things to sell.
bullpucky

Jackson, OH

#12 May 10, 2011
Jack Mehoff wrote:
Kasich said, "No group should use political influence to run public policy in the state of Ohio."
Well, you do governor.
In other words....we're all supposed to shut up and let him be KING!!
Not Rich

United States

#13 May 10, 2011
Question wrote:
How does Kasich make friends and influence people?
bullpucky

Jackson, OH

#14 May 10, 2011
He not only has the "bully pulpit" he is the BULLY!
wastherethen

Dublin, OH

#15 May 10, 2011
Given the hundreds of millions of public dollars the industry collects, the "big money" the industry contributes to politicians seems a mere pittance and, evidently, very well spent.

When are we going to wake up and outlaw legalized bribery?
bullpucky

Jackson, OH

#16 May 10, 2011
Kaysuck wrote:
The only people I support my rich big biz buddies. I want to privatize, so workers lose jobs. Hire new workers at lower pay, with no benefits. My rich buddies accumulate more wealth at the hands of the working people. I am a Christian man and God tells me this is the right thing to do.
Apparently "rich biz buddies" are the only ones who have the right to influence public policy. Is Ohio still in America - or is America still in the world?
Lobo

Philo, OH

#17 May 10, 2011
Kasich is right, these nursing home people 1) do not want the elderly to stay at home 2) are all about the money. Their cash cow is dwindling so now they are upset, too bad.
Publius

Chillicothe, OH

#18 May 10, 2011
Kasich is absolutely right, and I blame the Boomer generation for this. Nursing homes should not be the first option. They should be the last. People used to take care of their parents and it was part of the social compact. The Boomer's want to dump mom & dad in a retirement home (like they dumped their kids in day care), at public expense, so that they can go on living their "responsibility free" hedonistic existence that started at birth. They are the biggest bunch of self-absorbed, whining Peter Pans this world has ever known. I plan to crack open a bottle of expensive champaign when the very last of the Boomer generation dies.
zipper

Defiance, OH

#19 May 10, 2011
ed wood wrote:
"No group should use political influence to run public policy in the state of Ohio." Except the one's that bought you, right?
What's the matter gov, didn't they contribute to your campaign? Like the unions?
To use a statement of "God tells me" is so absurd. God is concerned about soul redemption and you have brought christianity to a new low with your statement.
zipper

Defiance, OH

#20 May 10, 2011
Kaysuck wrote:
Wrong one so sorry _ to prior one
To use a statement of "God tells me" is so absurd. God is concerned about soul redemption and you have brought christianity to a new low with your statement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sittefield ! 13 hr POPS 3
Sheryl Cogner Carrithers Tue Concerned 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon Mcm123 21,338
Duke Energy! Nov 19 FYI 1
Cranley ( Money Bags ) Nov 19 POPS 7
stores in Cincinnati that sell k2, spice, seren... (Oct '10) Nov 19 BELLY 30
Herbal incense / Spice / K2 (Oct '15) Nov 19 BELLY 6

Mason Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mason Mortgages