Ohioan charged with barking at police dog loses free-speech claim | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

A southwest Ohio man charged with teasing a police dog by barking at it could face trial after a judge rejected his request to dismiss the charge.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Jul 24, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DRPEPPER

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

4

3

3

are you serious? a law against barking at a police dog, i would think the man doing it would realy feel like a ass for doing and being caught,lets get to the real crime
KrisJordan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

1

I like to have a few beers, or more than few, and throw knick-knacks at my wife.
mycroft6

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Dust him with drugs and put in in a jail cell with drug sniffing dogs in the next cell and leave them overnight.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

This I can see. I hate idiots who get dogs riled up.

If they bust someone for flipping off a dog then they've gone too far.
get a clue pepper

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

DRPEPPER wrote:
are you serious? a law against barking at a police dog, i would think the man doing it would realy feel like a **** for doing and being caught,lets get to the real crime
The dog started it!
ManlyMen

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 23, 2011
 
LOL Barking at a Horsey
MMMMMMMM

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Dogs are for jerkfaces
wrong wrong wrong

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

4

3

3

And would you approve of this behavior if this dog was a seeing eyeing dog or a dog assisting a handicap person. These dogs are no different and are working dogs on the job and deserve the respect of the public...if you feel this way I feel sorry for you and never call the police if you need them, fend for yourself.
Former LEO

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

5

5

4

I am astounded that you found room to print this. You didn't seem to find room to put up an article about Off. Daniel Harless of Canton PD, who told a person carrying a concealed weapon, and had a license to do so, "I should have taken two steps back and put ten rounds into your a##, and I would have slept well that night". A police officer making terroristic threats, committing the offense of aggravated menacing, and committing probable civil rights violations, is not news - but a guy barking at a police dog is ?

Gotta love the Dispatch - the lap dog of the Wolfe family. You wanna hear about the above story - check YouTube, Fox News, The Blaze, and most every wire service across the country. The Dispatch has more important stuff to worry about. Don't forget about that algae story in Lake Erie.

You guys are pathetic....
But pirates

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

5

5

3

Former LEO wrote:
I am astounded that you found room to print this. You didn't seem to find room to put up an article about Off. Daniel Harless of Canton PD, who told a person carrying a concealed weapon, and had a license to do so, "I should have taken two steps back and put ten rounds into your a##, and I would have slept well that night". A police officer making terroristic threats, committing the offense of aggravated menacing, and committing probable civil rights violations, is not news - but a guy barking at a police dog is ?
Gotta love the Dispatch - the lap dog of the Wolfe family. You wanna hear about the above story - check YouTube, Fox News, The Blaze, and most every wire service across the country. The Dispatch has more important stuff to worry about. Don't forget about that algae story in Lake Erie.
You guys are pathetic....
I dunno, I kinda liked the story. I was barking at your mom last night and the cops didn't arrest me for that.
hamburger pimp

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

What else is there to say but BOW WOW WOW WOOF WOOF ARF ARF ARF YAP YAP! How about that, cop?
Grove City Grump

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Big Johnson wrote:
This I can see. I hate idiots who get dogs riled up.
If they bust someone for flipping off a dog then they've gone too far.
Arf, arf.
Marvin Glep

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

5

2

1

wrong wrong wrong wrote:
And would you approve of this behavior if this dog was a seeing eyeing dog or a dog assisting a handicap person. These dogs are no different and are working dogs on the job and deserve the respect of the public...if you feel this way I feel sorry for you and never call the police if you need them, fend for yourself.
Your name says it all. I can fend for myself, just fine, thanks. But we now live in a police state and I'm not allowed to do that. I have to leave it to the "professionals." "Professionals" who need trained attack dogs to get the job done. And woe be to anyone teasing these beasts because they're "special." Now, if you have a dog that goes wild when passers-by tease it then you are liable to having the dog stolen by the county and paying a fine. If the cops do it, the teaser is liable to jail time and a dine. Do you see the problem here or are you in the tank for cops who abuse their authority?
Florida Buckeye

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Barking is free speech only if you're a dog, so the judge made a good call.
Mike

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

3

1

Cops, in general, are heroes, but the self-importance some of these folks display continues to astound. Barking at a police dog? Really? Half of the confrontations some cops get in can be directly attributed to their arrogant sense-of-self during the encounter. It burns me up when there's a big bagpipe funeral for some jerkwad who clearly brought about his own demise (the Whitehall cop who got shot after harassing a couple over their impounded car comes to mind).
Barrack

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Like to bark at Police Dogs, Let the Police Dogs handle the situation, just turn em loose...Let the barker beware!
Gail

Sweet Home, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

2

They should have let the dog loose ,then see how much barking the jackass would have done.
i haaate niggles

Greenfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

dog has more rights than a man. wow.
ohio

Saint Marys, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

What kind of idiot teases a police dog which is considered an officer of the law. Yes he should be fined.
Doggy in the Window

Hainesport, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 23, 2011
 

Judged:

3

It's a good thing he didn't steal the dog's squeeky toy or he would really be in trouble.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 21 min Old Guy 30,441
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Ancient One 18,821
Duke Energy Rip Off (Jul '09) 3 hr High and Dry in NC 32
man charged $9,000 for emergency room visit for... Tue Suchanekpartners 1
Heroin In Cinci (Jan '12) Tue hurtforh 65
looking for wartracker Sun kirby 1
Hollywood Brings Sin to Cincinnati For Entertai... Aug 23 Culture Auditor 1

Search the Mason Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Mason Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mason People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Mason News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mason
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••