Governor rips nursing-home lobby, say...

Governor rips nursing-home lobby, says tax cut possible in '12 | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 81 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 10, 2011, titled Governor rips nursing-home lobby, says tax cut possible in '12 | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

In a suburban Cincinnati facility where tooling for engines used by the military is made, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

ThomT

West Chester, OH

#62 May 10, 2011
Castortroy wrote:
Where in the Constitution does it say that American tax payers are forced to pay for the health and medical care of the elderly or any other socialistic program for that matter?
Totally agree - it's some kind of Christian thing these do-gooders are trying to foist on the those of us who have taken the necessary precautions to take care of ourselves. I'm pretty well covered without the nanny-state interference and don't much care about those who failed to plan ahead.
Fed Up Republicans

Westerville, OH

#63 May 10, 2011
Castortroy wrote:
<quoted text>
Kool Aid drinker? Just don't go to Guayana ok
Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself, in California!!
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#64 May 10, 2011
skessler wrote:
Have you noticed that everytime kaye-sick encounters an adverse opinion he 'rips" them, according to this newspaper. He can't stand being disagreed with. And he gets nasty. This Association is speaking up for all the families who have loved ones in a facility. Kaye-sick thinks that putting them back home is a kind thing to do. Let home-health care take over. Many of these people have no home to go to. Then, the responsibility goes to the children - who, by the way, have jobs and families to take care of. His budget has made cuts in areas that will hurt Ohioans - but don't complain because you might get "ripped"
Has it occurred to you that the media uses the word "rip" in order to get emotional reactions? I'm not sticking up for Kasich's behavior, but everybody needs to take a breath and go over this piece by piece instead of reacting to media drivel. The more excited people become on places like Topix, the more hits they get - and the more they make in advertising revenue. Just saying.
Zippy

Round Lake, IL

#65 May 10, 2011
If you make over $250,000 a year then you will see atax cut from Kasich. Watch for a sales tax increase in every county and for schools and cities to be able to go after sales taxes & income taxes even though Kasich "says" he wants to do away with state income taxe .... He speaks with forked tongue and never is truthful
45206USA

Cincinnati, OH

#66 May 10, 2011
Politcal contributions to influence legislation....a subect Mr. Kasich knows well....
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#67 May 10, 2011
Kasich is the man. Finally we have a real leader in the Governor's Mansion.

When people say they want change, most really don't. What they want is The State to take someone else's money and give it to them.
Sabc

West Portsmouth, OH

#68 May 10, 2011
Wait until you have to go into a nursing home, Kasich.

Oops - I forgot. You have $$$$$$ to have in-home care or extra duty nurses. You will never know what the average citizen goes through when it is time to go to a nursing home.
Sabc

West Portsmouth, OH

#69 May 10, 2011
Go Figure wrote:
King Kasich seems to want to cut spending on everyone but himself. Drive by the Official Governors mansion in Bexley and there is always an Ohio Highway Patrol car sitting outside with noone in residence. Why is the OHP there when the new Governors residence is in Westerville with the millions spent to secure that property? Why not pull the extra security on a vacant house and let the Bexley Police Department protect the empty mansion like it does the occupied estates on the same street.
AMEN to that. Why is he NOT living in the governor's mansion anyway?? Let's sell the damn thing. More waste of taxpayer money to have it sit there protected.
more comments

Columbus, OH

#70 May 10, 2011
The Dispatch is doing a hide the pea under the shell game. Yesterday's late story was moved to the Politics page losing many comments and then there is this newer link not in sinc with the Politics page again dropping comments. Really, IT dept is incapable of transferring the comments when moving or creating a new link?

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/dispatch-po...
what

Columbus, OH

#71 May 10, 2011
more comments wrote:
The Dispatch is doing a hide the pea under the shell game. Yesterday's late story was moved to the Politics page losing many comments and then there is this newer link not in sinc with the Politics page again dropping comments. Really, IT dept is incapable of transferring the comments when moving or creating a new link?
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/dispatch-po...
Happens all the time, especially when stories are posted in different local cities.
The Observer

Columbus, OH

#72 May 10, 2011
This is a joke, right? The Republican party is a wholly-owned subsidiary of big business. The contempt with which Kasich holds the public is evident in the transparent hypocrisy of such statements.
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#73 May 10, 2011
The Observer wrote:
This is a joke, right? The Republican party is a wholly-owned subsidiary of big business. The contempt with which Kasich holds the public is evident in the transparent hypocrisy of such statements.
Partially owned. Big business supports Democrats, too:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/15/news/economy/...
Hoppy1234

Defiance, OH

#74 May 10, 2011
Mary K 43209 wrote:
Kasich is against excessive campaign contributions and poliitcal influence affecting public policy?

Physician heal thyself!
How about all the money Kasich got from charter school operators, is that the same as Nursing Home money. Get rid of them both. Maybe Nursing Homes get what they paid for.
Candide

United States

#75 May 10, 2011
LOOK in the MIRROR wrote:
LOOK in the MIRROR
IF YOU voted for Ksick
or any REPUBLICAN
YOU ARE the PROBLEM
YOU -- yes YOU -- are CAUSING the PROBLEMS for OHIOANs
LOOK IN THE MIRROR

If you believe that government at all levels can spend on whatever they like and the money will come

If you think that it's okay for state employees to bribe their bosses with campaign contributions so they will work against the best interest of the taxpayer

YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!!!
woke

Columbus, OH

#76 May 12, 2011
1. NO ONE leaves their long term homes and enters into a nursing care facility unless they NEED that option......to remain SAFE and so their nursing care NEEDS are met. The idea that some folks capriciously leave their own homes to lollygag at taxpayer's expense in nursing care is ridiculous.

2. The option to stay HOME and recieve care is already there. The question is whether the person's NEEDS and SAFETY can be met in that home environment.

3. The costs of providing the equipment and nursing care in the home is also expensive and cost prohibitive and insuring the safety and needs are met is more difficult in the home many times.

4. Why isn't the dispatch asking kasich what happened to the bill that would allow those who do stay in their homes to use medicare/medicaid to pay a family member or family friend to take care of them? Strickland supported it, kasich put it on HOLD.

5. The fact that kasich is talking about TAX CUTS in the same breath as providing necessary care for our oldest and most vulnerable people shows EXACTLY how pathetic this man is imo.
Hoppy1234

Defiance, OH

#77 May 12, 2011
woke wrote:
1. NO ONE leaves their long term homes and enters into a nursing care facility unless they NEED that option......to remain SAFE and so their nursing care NEEDS are met. The idea that some folks capriciously leave their own homes to lollygag at taxpayer's expense in nursing care is ridiculous.

2. The option to stay HOME and recieve care is already there. The question is whether the person's NEEDS and SAFETY can be met in that home environment.

3. The costs of providing the equipment and nursing care in the home is also expensive and cost prohibitive and insuring the safety and needs are met is more difficult in the home many times.

4. Why isn't the dispatch asking kasich what happened to the bill that would allow those who do stay in their homes to use medicare/medicaid to pay a family member or family friend to take care of them? Strickland supported it, kasich put it on HOLD.

5. The fact that kasich is talking about TAX CUTS in the same breath as providing necessary care for our oldest and most vulnerable people shows EXACTLY how pathetic this man is imo.
If you need a nurse or you need help dressing, cooking, or trimming the hedge you will run out of money eventually and have to go to a Nursing Home. If government would pay for home care they wouldn't have to pay for the Nursing Home. Costs less. Not $500,000,000 less.
We r screwed

Groveport, OH

#78 May 12, 2011
Just over a month ago, the administration released long-awaited draft regulations for "accountable care organizations," networks of doctors and hospitals that would collaborate to keep Medicare patients healthier and share in the savings with taxpayers. Obama's health care overhaul law envisioned quickly setting up hundreds of such networks around the county to lead a bottom-up reform of America's bloated health care system.

But in an unusual rebuke, an umbrella group representing premier organizations such as the Mayo Clinic wrote the administration Wednesday saying that more than 90 percent of its members would not participate, because the rules as written are so onerous it would be nearly impossible for them to succeed.

"It's not just a simple tweak, it's a significant change that needs to be made," said Donald Fisher, president of the American Medical Group Association, which represents nearly 400 large medical groups around the country providing care for roughly 1 in 3 Americans. Its members, including the Cleveland Clinic, Intermountain Healthcare in Utah, and Geisinger Health System in Pennsylvania, had been seen as the vanguard for accountable care.

The medical groups say they are worried they will be left holding the bag for losses, that the government has designed things so there is no easy way to tell which patients are part of the program, and that there's no reliable way to adjust for patients who are sicker and require closer follow-up and more expensive treatments.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110511/ap_on_he_...
woke

Columbus, OH

#79 May 19, 2011
Hoppy1234 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you need a nurse or you need help dressing, cooking, or trimming the hedge you will run out of money eventually and have to go to a Nursing Home. If government would pay for home care they wouldn't have to pay for the Nursing Home. Costs less. Not $500,000,000 less.
Ok, but do you realize govt ALREADY does pay for in home care? This is why this issue is moot and simply a political BS stunt by kasich.

As I said, if he truly supports helping people who CAN, stay in their homes, why did he SHELVE the bill that would allow family and friends get paid to help with nursing care anyone can do, but right now is only paid for if an "in home health agency" ....ie STRANGERS, provide it?

Let's see how much money his campaign got from those "in home health agencies".

Which would you prefer, a stranger in your home, or a family member or friend? Which is more likely to truly help you stay in your home safer longer??
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#80 Jul 5, 2011
woke wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, but do you realize govt ALREADY does pay for in home care? This is why this issue is moot and simply a political BS stunt by kasich.
As I said, if he truly supports helping people who CAN, stay in their homes, why did he SHELVE the bill that would allow family and friends get paid to help with nursing care anyone can do, but right now is only paid for if an "in home health agency" ....ie STRANGERS, provide it?
Let's see how much money his campaign got from those "in home health agencies".
Which would you prefer, a stranger in your home, or a family member or friend? Which is more likely to truly help you stay in your home safer longer??
I'm going to say the fraudulent charges would more likely occur with a relative than with a professional organization.
Kasich Rocks

Atlanta, GA

#81 Jul 5, 2011
Home care trumps nursing homes any day. I'm glad your Governor knows that and so many more people get to stay at home - where they REALLY want to be anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mason Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Officer Tensing Trial 4 hr That you Barney 10
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr Dominican 17 21,055
friend 12 hr old friend 1
Review: Presidential Moving Services 13 hr Iva ben had 214
News House prohibits $15-an-hour minimum wage Thu a_visitor 701
Lesbian snapchat (Aug '15) Thu hornyaf 37
News Man accused of rape amid electronic monitoring ... Thu OneWomynRiot 3

Mason Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mason Mortgages