Do we need a new Sheriff? How is the...

Do we need a new Sheriff? How is the Sheriff doing?

Posted in the Maryville Forum

Gathering Input

California, MO

#1 Jul 22, 2011
I would be interested in getting input from Nodaway County residence as to their feelings about how the current Sheriff is doing, has done, and if change is needed. He has been in office for approximately three years and many things have taken place. This is not a bash the Sheriff question, rather an information seeking process to see how the community is feeling. We are a little over a year away from the office being up for election and any and all constructive thoughts and discussions are welcomed.
Shawn

Maitland, MO

#2 Jul 23, 2011
This is an issue that bothers me that I have seen. They get new vehicles so often or when budgeted. I have seen on two occasionís cigarettes being thrown from the window of a brand new Charger. This would not be for the Sheriff, because I know it wasnít him driving. It was an older Deputy and I was appalled that someone would smoke in a new vehicle and litter being an officer. It would be nice as a taxpayer to see the Sheriff make a policy that you canít smoke in vehicles.
lisa estrada

United States

#3 Jul 26, 2011
I think they are doing the best they can. They helped my family and went above and beyond they are doing great thank you stay how you are
Robert S

Maryville, MO

#4 Nov 30, 2011
Listen to the scanner, need I say more? Two numbers 700 and 704 two very classy individuals.
Bull

Chicago, IL

#5 Feb 11, 2012
I would take a moment to comment on the "classy" individual who tosses out cigarette butts. This man is a walking , talking menace to evil. He comes here with a skill set and experience that a county like ours can honestly not afford to pay for. He is dedicated and does his job honestly for the good of the citizens of the county. The point I am trying to make is that if you all knew how hard he works for you by putting himself in harms way , going without sleep and working relentlessly to solve crimes and hold bad people accountable for robberies, rapes and drugs you might cut him some slack. Those guys live in a different world dealing with all the trouble the rest of us are lucky enough not to see and I like the idea that if you are a thief, rapist, doper and see one of them show up with that star on their chest you know there will be hell to pay.I DO NOT believe they abuse their authority either ( Which they actually have alot of ) most people do not realize that the sheriffs office is the highest ranking law enforcement agency in the area. Historically people were led to believe it was the highway patrol because in the old days deputies were lazy and dumb and they would usually hand off cases to the patrol because they couldn't or wouldn't handle them. Deputies have the authority to work on crimes outside their county and do regularly these days when it is warranted. I think the Sheriff is doing a great job and I'm glad we have him. Let's not sweat the small stuff I Promise if you are ever the victim of a crime you will be pleased with their work
Sooth Sayer

Omaha, NE

#6 Feb 11, 2012
With responsibility comes responsibility, even for old sheriffs deputies. If government property is off limits for smoking it should not be tolerated for any reason. No exceptions. IMO smoking should not be allowed on duty at all. On the other hand no personal vices should be illegal or off limits when off duty.
Bull

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 21, 2012
Great, that is really great. Oh, but they are NEVER "Off duty" they have no time clock and I know for a fact that the "Old sheriff's deputy" is retired from another very large and prestigious agency. He works here just because he cares about the county and the people who live here. He has already made a successful career and does not work here for the money. He does however work 24 and sometimes 36 hours straight when he needs to
( which I believe is pretty often) Smoking cigarettes?.........really? Why don't you go jump on the folks buying booze and dope with food stamps
( our tax dollars) and leave the sheriff and his men alone.
Dugout

Maryville, MO

#8 Feb 25, 2012
Bull, not to certain where you gather your information, but I would never associate the words "He does his job HONESTLY for the GOOD" with him. He does nothing honest and that is nothing. You listen to him for let's say ten minutes and it's obvious he does it to build himself not for "The good." He is arrogant and cocky. If he wasn't related to the Sheriff by marriage, his shenanigans would not be tolerated. On top of that, his son wouldn't be running around toting a gun, acting a deputy, without being licensed to do so. Aside from all that, I guess your right, he is under paid, over worked, and too qualified for a county like this. I would venture to say that you couldn't find at least five persons in his own field that would say anything positive about him.
Bull

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 28, 2012
I gather you are in that profession and I'm sorry to here you feel that way about what I considered a very dedicated guy. All I can say is that we at least have a Sheriffs department that will actually do something now. I know for years it was like we didn't have one. I am afraid I don't know his son or why he carries a gun but that is every law abiding Missourians right these days. Oh, and I'll see if I can run down those five for ya

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
skidmore warning...... (Nov '15) Oct '17 Yankee Liberal 8
ken mcelroy (May '17) Oct '17 stealth 4
News Where is Branson Perry? (Nov '08) Jul '17 bluebird8 83
Cowards (May '06) Jul '17 Leo 26
Matty 1, Daisy 1 (Oct '13) Apr '17 Hello 19
simply siam (Apr '16) Apr '16 Joe lester 1
News Another MO woman demonized for speaking out abo... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Richard 1

Maryville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maryville Mortgages