Experts: Churches need a security plan

Experts: Churches need a security plan

There are 8 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 9, 2009, titled Experts: Churches need a security plan. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Megachurches with large audiences have long had a heightened sense of security, but smaller churches like the one in Maryville, Ill., where a pastor was shot to death often have no security plan, experts say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Peter Dixon

San Diego, CA

#1 Mar 9, 2009
After Prop 8 - California churches really need to get a plan in place - this is only going to increase after the supreme court upholds Prop 8
Mark Drake

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 9, 2009
If the church is supposed to be the spiritual cure for sin , as AA is for alcoholics, does this then signify the church's inability to effectively address certain issues? We will know better as the details unfold.
Lyme Disease

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 9, 2009
I read a report that the attacker has Lyme Disease and he has lesions on his brain. It sounds like his attack was caused by his disease.//

I think a large part of the recent spate of such shootings is that we need national free health care, including mental health care. If people are disturbed or sick, they need to be able to be in a hospital, just like the old days.
Robin Edgar

Victoriaville, Canada

#4 Mar 9, 2009
The Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church of Knoxville's security plan that includes hiring sextons to watch for suspicious behavior sure beats the moronic 'Weapons Policy' that the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Franklin North Carolina adopted in reaction to the TVUUC shooting and rather too hastily and thoughtlessly drafted and implemented when an 84 year old U*U minister got "worried" by the fact that a member was wearing a hunting knife in a sheath on his belt that he had worn to this Unitarian "church" for the last four or five years. Under pressure from the "worried" Rev. Bill David the FU*UC's Board drafted and adopted the following ever so "liberal" and "progressive" 'Weapons Policy'-

No items, concealed or not, that can be reasonably defined as weapons may be brought onto the buildings and grounds which comprise The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Of Franklin, North Carolina

Let's see now does that 'Weapons Policy' cover the knives concealed on the drawers of the "church" kitchen? How about the chairs in the sanctuary that may be reasonably defined as weapons if someone decides to hit people with them or throw them at people? How about the cars in the parking lot that can be reasonably defined as weapons if someone decides to run someone down? All the FU*UC did was make complete fools of themselves and insulted, alienated, and effectively banned a member in good standing who had never caused any harm to anyone in the four to five years he had attended services there.

Do these U*Us really believe that this 'Weapons Policy' posted in the "church" is going to stop someone who intends to harm other people in the "church"? Do they think that Jim David Adkisson would have stopped to read a similar 'Weapons Policy' posted in the TVUUC and decided he had better honor it? What is this 'Weapons Policy' supposed to accomplish other than serving as a "security blanket" that will not stop anyone from slicing someone up with a knife or gunning someone down if that is their *criminal intent*. The brainlessness of these ever so "progressive" U*Us is really quite stunning.
Robin Edgar

Victoriaville, Canada

#5 Mar 9, 2009
For the record I am not from Brampton Canada. I guess my Internet Service Provider is. I am from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Anyone wanting more information about the ridiculous 'Weapons Policy' of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Franklin should Google combinations of -

"Charles Rowe" (the first "victim" of this idiotic 'Weapons Policy)

"Dr. Bill David" or "Rev. Bill David"

and other key words and phrases like knife, Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Franklin, and moronic...

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#6 Mar 10, 2009
A criminal is a criminal because he chooses to ignore laws that prohibit murder, assault and theft. A peaceful law-abiding person chooses to obey laws. A law-abiding person doesn't need weapon control laws to respect other people's lives or property.

Enact all the weapon control rules you want, but the criminal will never obey them. Those rules will only disarm the law-abiding and leave them vulnerable (more vulnerable) to attack by the criminal. A gun-free church becomes a gun free slaughter church (and a "victim disarmanent church").

A good security system for a church would be volunteers slinging shotguns and stationed at the church entrance (deterrence keeps the peace).

"An armed society is a polite society."
SecureOurFlocks

Travelers Rest, SC

#7 Mar 10, 2009
It is so unfortunate that are world has moved into such a state of moral decline. My prayers go out to the family members, and congregation members of the Maryville Baptist Church.
I am a former Spec Ops Operator, and have worked as a close protection officer all over Africa, and the middle East, to include two and a half years in Iraq. Due to the increasing amount of violence and vandalism aimed at houses of worship, I formed secureourflocks.com
My company provides several services, such as an initial risk assessment, training for staff/volunteers in security, first responder medical training, and assistance in creating a Security Standard Operations Procedure manual.
In mega churches I believe in a high profile security presence outside, but inside we utilize a "low profile" type of protection. In smaller churches it is all low profile, but still very effective. My goal is to infiltrate every ministry with trained security personnel, and that goes from the childrens area, youth ministry, up to the greeters, ushers, and collection count team. It takes approximately 30 days per level to get these church servants up to speed, but then these skills can be maintained with quarterly training. Level I includes the most basic principals of security with CPR training. Level II goes more in depth in security operations, legal liabilities, unarmed combat techniques and more first responder medical training. Level III finishes the basic security operations knowledge, the use of force continuum, legal liabilities of firearms use, and use of force liabilities. Level IV takes about two hard months for those who have military or police backgrounds. This is a course on "Close Protection", and we cover techniques that come right from the streets of Baghdad and un-named parts of Africa. After completion of at least the first three levels your church will be ready for any emergency situation.
I wish you all God's Peace!
Secureourflocks.com
Matt

La Grange, IL

#8 Mar 10, 2009
Additional resources on this issue available at www.yourchurch.net and www.churchsafety.com .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are there so many single mothers in Wood River (Jan '15) Thu MomsNoPops 6
Safari Hunt Sep 20 up yurs 2
News Former Alton activist one of two charged with m... Sep 20 Jim Osborne 1
Toby Gvillo Lawn Care and Home Repair can not b... Sep 20 Pauly 2
Angela-jacK Howser's Jury Trial ReinStated-Civi... Sep 20 CU In Court 1
Ozark BBQ Potato Chips (Feb '08) Sep 17 Gold-in flake 22
Shooting that happened last night off 162? Sep 15 Sorry to know him 3

Maryville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance