Police: Ill. pastor deflected gunshot with Bible

Full story: Chicago Tribune

MARYVILLE, Ill. - Theater often punctuated the Rev. Fred Winters' sermons, so parishioners were initially unfazed when a stranger strode down First Baptist Church's main aisle as Winters preached and, with a ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 27 of27
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 06

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

ManilaMike wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
If I get shot in church, I may just laugh at the irony of twelve years of Catholic school going out the window.
Yes, if I get shot in church and killed, you have permission to laugh.
If we can't laugh at the idea that another looney with access to a gun what can we laugh at?
I suppose you're thinking the AU gun laws would have stopped this shooting? How do you spot a looney and keep him from getting a gun illegally if he wants one? There are also people out there that hate God and want to kill his followers(outside of islam).
Sam

Worden, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Not sure if the public believes this story of Lymes. Sounds more like a Paranoid Schizo disorder, misdiagnosed. Is it going to far to say, an element of something demonic? God did cast evil angels to earth to walk among us. What types of things did he explore as a teenager? Some kids think Satanism is a joke, but it is very real and can change a persons life and those around them. We may never know why this happened and what his problems are, but God does.
Wayne C

Moncton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

My thoughts and prayers go out to Pastor Winters' family and to his church family as well. I also pray for the terrorist that allowed satan to manipulate him into doing this, and, for his family as well. I hope he survives long enough to get the help and guidance he needs and to be able to be forgiven for what he has done. I know that the lyme disease will be used as an excuse for what he did, but, the real reason will eventually be revealed.

I also pray for the poor misguided individuals that post to this site with senseless and hateful remarks - that God would speak to their hearts and reveal Himself to them so that they may know how ridiculous and lacking in judgement that they are. These people need help as much as, if not more than, Terry Sedlacek.

And no, Sam, you are not going too far to say....

May The One True God keep and protect you all.(and, NO, I do not mean Oprah and her bunch!!)
IL MOM

Mount Olive, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

Wayne C wrote:
My thoughts and prayers go out to Pastor Winters' family and to his church family as well. I also pray for the terrorist that allowed satan to manipulate him into doing this, and, for his family as well. I hope he survives long enough to get the help and guidance he needs and to be able to be forgiven for what he has done. I know that the lyme disease will be used as an excuse for what he did, but, the real reason will eventually be revealed.
I also pray for the poor misguided individuals that post to this site with senseless and hateful remarks - that God would speak to their hearts and reveal Himself to them so that they may know how ridiculous and lacking in judgement that they are. These people need help as much as, if not more than, Terry Sedlacek.
And no, Sam, you are not going too far to say....
May The One True God keep and protect you all.(and, NO, I do not mean Oprah and her bunch!!)
Ditto to your statements, I teach girls youth at our church and asked them to pray for the families and congregations at Maryville Baptist as well as the family of the shooter and the shooter himself. Even when Jesus was being crucified he said Lord Forgive them for they know not what they do. What hapenned has no reason. So one could not reason it out. This act has reached out beyond just the community of Maryville, many of it's parishoners are not just locals but members of families that attended at other churches and whose parents are members of various churches and communities. Also remember children could have been present during this service and been witness to this.
howie

Granite City, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Sam, I myself wonder if the Lyme disease story will carry the day for Mr. Sedlacek, but I doubt it. I do concur this has something to do with schizoid-paranoia disorder. I did hear some rumor that some representatives of Westboro Baptist church was going to protest at a couple of places. I hope they stayed in their hole in Wichita, Ks. To have the funeral carried live online was no surprise to me, considering the simultaneous services at several churches and the HUGE crowd gathered at the funeral home for his wake.
Sam

Worden, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Apparently, his lawyer as requested medical records taken from his home be returned. In my opinion the people involved in the investigation should have access to them to see this so called evidence of Lymes. He is pleading not guilty. Did someone other than him walk into this church and commit the crime? I'm sure the plan is, "not guilty as reason of insanity." He can get a slap on the hand because his attorney will get him off the hook. For someone who is insane, he sure put a lot of thought into preparation. With what he had under his bed, who else was he planning to kill? His family? Personally, I would be fearful of living in the same house with a person that unstable. His parents obviously knew his mental state and had to know he had weapons, would'nt that have concerned them? Guess we will learn as time goes. Prayers to the pastors family and his church family.
Don O

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2009

This is so sad. Another case of a Christian being cursified. If the killer isn't dead already, I hope he rots in hell for eternity

Why are you so evil Grrrrrr?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 27 of27
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Maryville Discussions

Search the Maryville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
170-foot ketchup bottle for sale in Illinois 4 hr Christaliban 2
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 6 hr KrisChristie 1,855
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 hr Terry rigsby 48,839
thank you 8 hr no kidding 2
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 8 hr nuguyntwn 3,826
girls girls girls 9 hr Donnie 9
Ill. Gov. to push for assault weapons ban 12 hr yeah sure 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Maryville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Maryville People Search