Man charged in Tenn. church shooting

Man charged in Tenn. church shooting

There are 49 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 8, 2009, titled Man charged in Tenn. church shooting. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A pastor shot and killed during his Sunday sermon deflected the first of the gunman's four rounds with a Bible, sending a confetti-like spray of paper into the air in a horrifying scene that congregants ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
C Robert Satti Sr

Norwich, CT

#1 Mar 8, 2009
This is what you get with an unarmed society. The second amendment was created for a reason.

In many southern states, people go to church armed. If someone had been armed, the crazy guy could've been stopped sooner.

I know many will disgaree with me, but many will not.
Good Greef

Farmington, CT

#2 Mar 9, 2009
Yes the second amendment WAS created for a reason, but not the reason you suggest.

And, where was God?
David

Miamisburg, OH

#3 Mar 9, 2009
C Robert Satti is right.
Remember a case out in Colorado from around a year ago? Some nut went around shooting up some churches. He killed a couple people at one church, then went over to another church and shot a couple people. He started inside to go on a third shooting rampage, had enough ammo on him to kill all of the hundreds of people inside if he wanted. Thank God someone inside was armed themselves, they took him out before he had a chance to kill anyone else. Had they not it would ahve been a major bloodbath.
C Robert Satti Sr

Norwich, CT

#4 Mar 9, 2009
Good Greef wrote:
Yes the second amendment WAS created for a reason, but not the reason you suggest.
And, where was God?
You said:

"Yes the second amendment WAS created for a reason, but not the reason you suggest."

What is your point?

Your location says you are in Massachusetts, but that doesn't mean it is accurate.

Let's assume you are from Massachusetts.

Here is what the Massachusetts Constitution says:

Massachusetts: The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.
C Robert Satti Sr

Norwich, CT

#5 Mar 9, 2009
If you are from New Hampshire:

New Hampshire: All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

Connecticut: Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Delaware: A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.
paulieinct

Redmond, WA

#6 Mar 9, 2009
I thought the whole point of being a Christian was to emulate the life of Jesus Christ. Would Jesus go to church packing heat?????????

Someone asked, "Where was God?" Good question. With all the praying going on and we all know how powerful prayer is......ahem....do you think God might have intervened? He musta been snoozin', makin' the BIG ZZZZZZZZZZZ's, sawin' the BIG LOGS.
patti

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2009
Mr. Suhr,
There is a huge political battle in medicine over Lyme disease right now, and if you aren't aware of it, please know that Dr. Shapiro represents one side only.

Those of us with Lyme disease KNOW that it is accompanied by multiple neurologic problems, including psychiatric.(see Amy Tan, she had hallucinations) Many patients have described what they call "Lyme rage", which fortunately, I've never had.

The Drs who treat us are persecuted for doing so, because they believe along with us, that the illness can become a protracted horrible illness which can be treated with long term antibiotics.

Please check with the president of ILADS, Daniel Cameron, for the a very different, and I feel the correct point of view. www.ilads.org
You can also get an excellent overview of the problems with diagnosing and treating Lyme disease if you watch the movie, Under Our Skin, which was released last year and is available on dvd.

Thank you.
Pat

Granby, CT

#8 Mar 10, 2009
Why does the tilte of the article say the motive is elusive when the article then says he suffered mental deterioration from having Lyme Disease? Lyme disease can most certainly make you act insane and it is even speculated that Lyme may be behind the crazy chimp attack here in Stamford.
Jim

United States

#9 Mar 10, 2009
Where was God? Was He snoozing? On vacation? Did he blink? Even the Biblical writer, David demanded and questioned, "Awake! Why do You sleep, O Lord? Arise! Do not cast us off forever.
Why do You hide Your face, And forget our affliction and our oppression?" The Bible assures that "rain" falls on the just and the unjust alike". I'm sure the ancient character Job had many questions during his losses. Though questions are natural to ask, they do not diminish the truth that God is, and that God cares, and that God is and was there. A little girl escaped a horrific fire which totally consumed her house. Someone asked, "Where was her mother?" Another said, "Her mother is in the ambulance with severe burns covering her body. She will be scarred for life. But if it were not for her mother, this little girl would have died." We say, "That mother was better than God because she saved her little girl." God reminds us that this life is but a vapor, passing so quickly. He was scarred for life that we might have everlasting life- the life he intended for us in the first place. But His decision to give us the power to choose whether to love Him or not, also gave us the power to put this life in its fallen state. Praise God that He was there, is there, and will always be there. He has spared us from an eternal fallen state because He was there in the fullness of time. Watch that church. I believe you will see God where He dwells- not in buildings, but in the hearts of all who believe in Him.
Pat

Granby, CT

#10 Mar 10, 2009
Jim wrote:
Where was God? Was He snoozing? On vacation? Did he blink?
He is where he always is and has always been, in the imagination of the believer.
Vicious Poodle

Shelton, CT

#11 Mar 10, 2009
"And, where was God?"

You foolish athiest. You dare ask where was God?

From the article:

However, authorities say Sedlacek appeared to have planned the attack, since he referred to Sunday as "death day" on a planner found in his Troy home and he carried enough ammunition to kill 30 people.

The Gun unexpectedly JAMMED after everone started praying.

Any you ask Where was God?

Open your eyes, blind athiest fool!
Pat

Granby, CT

#12 Mar 10, 2009
Vicious Poodle wrote:
"And, where was God?"
You foolish athiest. You dare ask where was God?
From the article:
However, authorities say Sedlacek appeared to have planned the attack, since he referred to Sunday as "death day" on a planner found in his Troy home and he carried enough ammunition to kill 30 people.
The Gun unexpectedly JAMMED after everone started praying.
Any you ask Where was God?
Open your eyes, blind athiest fool!
Oh so god wanted the preacher shot then? He only performed his magical stunt after the preacher was shot and two others stabbed? Not that making wishes could ever accomplish anything, but do you really think a single person in that church began praying in the short instance that incident was taking place? You truly are nuts.
David

United States

#13 Mar 11, 2009
"ll. church shooting suspect had 3 long guns, 550 bullets in bedroom, plus 'Last Day Will'"

Just FYI, a box of .22 cal. ammunition is usually 500 rounds, in 10 small boxes of 50 each. The whole thing's somewhat on the order of the size of the box an order of checks might be mailed in.
SW dad

Fort Lee, NJ

#14 Mar 11, 2009
Because of the fact that only the pastor was shot in this incident, it makes me think that there is more to this story than "A mad gunman goes on a rampage"
Maybe the pastor did something to this man?
Pat

Granby, CT

#15 Mar 11, 2009
SW dad wrote:
Because of the fact that only the pastor was shot in this incident, it makes me think that there is more to this story than "A mad gunman goes on a rampage"
Maybe the pastor did something to this man?
The gun jammed.
bam bam

United States

#16 Mar 11, 2009
The atheists and homosexuals must be high fiven' about this one. See what happens to those evil Christians? They have it comin' to them.
Pat

Granby, CT

#17 Mar 11, 2009
bam bam wrote:
The atheists and homosexuals must be high fiven' about this one. See what happens to those evil Christians? They have it comin' to them.
No, not really. It just affirms to us how silly it is to believe there is any god. No god would humiliate his preacher of the gospel by allowing him to be shot dead in the pulpit while preaching about god now would he? The only place god exists is in the imagination of the believer.
bam bam

United States

#18 Mar 11, 2009
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not really. It just affirms to us how silly it is to believe there is any god. No god would humiliate his preacher of the gospel by allowing him to be shot dead in the pulpit while preaching about god now would he? The only place god exists is in the imagination of the believer.
God works in strange ways sometimes. Maybe he's showing the US, which was created on inalienable, God given rights, that there are a bunch of sick God-haters out there who have turned their back on Him, and the minister happens to be a martyr.
bam bam

United States

#19 Mar 11, 2009
paulieinct wrote:
I thought the whole point of being a Christian was to emulate the life of Jesus Christ. Would Jesus go to church packing heat?????????
Someone asked, "Where was God?" Good question. With all the praying going on and we all know how powerful prayer is......ahem....do you think God might have intervened? He musta been snoozin', makin' the BIG ZZZZZZZZZZZ's, sawin' the BIG LOGS.
I would assume the guy who was packing heat wasn't going there to pray or worship God.
High School Parent

West Hartford, CT

#20 Mar 11, 2009
Why is he submitting a non guilty plea when the s kumbag did it? They gonna try to get him off on they ole "i was nuts" excuse?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot blonde in apartment building on coroner of ... Wed Sheishott 1
Has anyone seen Amy Mattingly around Troy, High... (Jul '15) Wed David Mantego 4
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Jul 26 OldManBenny 72
Povis Jul 24 Poor Poor Tranny 1
who remembers? (Dec '08) Jul 24 leslie 128
News Fairview Heights doctor's license indefinitely ... (Feb '08) Jul 22 D Malone 4
Any blacks lady's like to go on a date? Jul 22 Back Again 2

Maryville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maryville Mortgages