Recent case highlights need for refor...

Recent case highlights need for reforming background checks in ...

There are 16 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 15, 2008, titled Recent case highlights need for reforming background checks in .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The recent departure of a director of a girls group home whose history included two weapons convictions and seven paternity suits highlighted gaps in the state's evolving system of child welfare background ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

THEY CAME AFTER ME

AOL

#1 Mar 15, 2008
DCFS case wortked annonimoiusly called to my house from an angry relative; called the cops to look at my 2 year old daughters behind for harm. LLUNATICS !!!
DONTRELL DAVIS R.I.P
MARYVILLE runaways dies workers abusing children
THE MOST HORRRIFIC CASE I HAVE EVER SEEN.
6 times DCFS knocked
6 times unfounded complaints
larry

Wilmette, IL

#2 Mar 15, 2008
DCFS is the most worthless organization around next to the ACLU and the NAACP!
Nicole

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 15, 2008
This is only the tip of the iceberg regarding the problems that DCFS has. A serious investigation would reveal some very disturbing things about the organization.
yep

United States

#4 Mar 15, 2008
Nicole wrote:
This is only the tip of the iceberg regarding the problems that DCFS has. A serious investigation would reveal some very disturbing things about the organization.
Can you be more specific?
Flipside

Macomb, IL

#5 Mar 15, 2008
My wife Treffly Coyne just fought a charge of child endangerment levelled at her by the Crestwood Police and investigated by DCFS. She was cleared of these charges.

If she was not cleared she could not have become a teacher, adopted a child, work as a pediatric nurse...

But a felony conviction still gets you the right to work within DCFS?

I don't think you should have a job there without the record of Mother Theresa.

Thanks to all who showed support.
who did it

United States

#6 Mar 15, 2008
larry wrote:
DCFS is the most worthless organization around next to the ACLU and the NAACP!
when you become a social worker in the field, you may be able to come up with a more intelligent answer.
NLK

Elmhurst, IL

#7 Mar 15, 2008
Oh my God, they can go after a mother or father because someone drops a dime on them for whatever reason, but they don't check a worker/manager who's supposed to be there to protect the kids!! I've had to work with the DCFS for child support issues and most of the caseworkers I worked with were ignorant and condenscending, it wasn't until I wrote a letter to the governor that I got anywhere with them. Moving child support to this organization was one of the worst things Illinois could have done to parents that are owed child suppot!
sickofit

Palos Hills, IL

#8 Mar 15, 2008
Flipside wrote:
My wife Treffly Coyne just fought a charge of child endangerment levelled at her by the Crestwood Police and investigated by DCFS. She was cleared of these charges.
If she was not cleared she could not have become a teacher, adopted a child, work as a pediatric nurse...
But a felony conviction still gets you the right to work within DCFS?
I don't think you should have a job there without the record of Mother Theresa.
Thanks to all who showed support.
Good luck to you and your wife. I had followed this case closely since it came to light and am OUTRAGED at the stupidity of the podunk Crestwood police department. Not only should charges NEVER have been filed, but since they were, they should have been DROPPED IMMEDIATELY.

Crestwood should take some of their off-track betting money and pay for all of your legal expenses and toss in a bit more for your troubles.

A DISGUSTING abuse of Barney Fife-like authority.

Good luck to you and your family.
Lee

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 15, 2008
Flipside wrote:
My wife Treffly Coyne just fought a charge of child endangerment levelled at her by the Crestwood Police and investigated by DCFS. She was cleared of these charges.
If she was not cleared she could not have become a teacher, adopted a child, work as a pediatric nurse...
But a felony conviction still gets you the right to work within DCFS?
I don't think you should have a job there without the record of Mother Theresa.
Thanks to all who showed support.
The horror is that if your wife had not been an erudite, savvy, middle-class woman your children might have ended up in the horror of foster care. I live in a predominantly African-American area and the placement of multiple foster children with foster parents who use the kids as cash cows is sickening.(And before anybody starts yelling that there are wonderful foster parents, I'm an adoptive mother of three great special-need kids that I'm totally supporting.)
God Bless you and your wife and I hope you're planning to sue the incompetent dimwits in Crestwood.
keith

Trevor, WI

#10 Mar 15, 2008
I can't get A job driving A truck because of A burglary 26 years ago, paid my time. have not been in trouble with the law since,except a few minor traffic tickets, but this guy can oversee young girls ??????
Nicole

Chicago, IL

#11 Mar 15, 2008
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
The horror is that if your wife had not been an erudite, savvy, middle-class woman your children might have ended up in the horror of foster care. I live in a predominantly African-American area and the placement of multiple foster children with foster parents who use the kids as cash cows is sickening.(And before anybody starts yelling that there are wonderful foster parents, I'm an adoptive mother of three great special-need kids that I'm totally supporting.)
God Bless you and your wife and I hope you're planning to sue the incompetent dimwits in Crestwood.
I completely agree. There are many people who simply do not have the resources to fight allegations of child abuse or once their children are taken away, are considered too poor to get them back. And many parents are haunted by criminal records from years and years ago, which prohibits them from getting jobs to sufficiently support their families. What resources exist for them? Very little consideration may be given to relatives that are perfectly capable of lovingly caring for children for those very same reasons. Furthermore, while there are some children that absolutely must be removed from their homes, few people have read the research that shows many of them are actually worse off when taken away. It's a difficult dilemma.
Nicole

Chicago, IL

#12 Mar 15, 2008
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you be more specific?
It really depends on the agency, but one problem that is common is that caseworkers incorrectly identified as social workers (that requires a Master's degree in Social Work) are often overwhelmed with caseloads in the 20s and 30s when realistically they are supposed to have significantly less. It's a difficult and stressful job, and lack of resources and personnel causes a dramatic lessening of the quality of services that the organization is able to provide. There are very tragic cases of children being removed who shouldn't have been with parents completely helpless to get them back. There are also cases of children being severely hurt or killed because they were never removed. It's just sad when it's our children's lives and well-being at stake.
THE JUDGE

Guttenberg, IA

#13 Mar 15, 2008
Hey Keith up in Silver Lake, Wi., just go by the name Jose Jimenez move down to Chicago and little dicky will sign you on with the city.
Conley

Paris, France

#14 Mar 16, 2008
Sounds like Maryville is trying to get off the hook here for poor employee screening. Not everybody lies in a job interview. Maybe the Maryville employee did tell his interviewer about his past and they decided to hire and promote him anyway. Some individuals are much better at talking their way through an interview than others and that's why a really good pre-employment interview is crucial. Maryville has made really bad hiring mistakes before and DCFS wards have been taken out of there because of it. Sounds like Maryville is merely repeating its rather sordid past.

As to DCFS, since the Joseph Wallace
tragedy in the early 90's the caseloads have steadily gone down and the resources have increased. The problem isn't money---it's management---and politics, of course.
Under the Blago administration, DCFS, like so many state agencies, has become increasingly politicized, with
scores of politically connected honchos pulling down six figure salaries and doing little work. Why should they? Meanwhile, kids keep dying. Since this past July, at least 10 children have died despite recent involvement with DCFS' child protection arm. Many died violently, in ways no child in 21st century America should die. Meanwhile, the agency devotes substantial resources to harassing Mrs. Coyne, in a case that DCFS could have unfounded immediately based on its own regs. Again, it's not the caseloads, it's the really bad management. That's why you get the preventable deaths and the absurd harassment of Ms. Coyne. DCFS management with no judgment and no smarts but plenty of political connections. Changing the background checks won't fix that.
CWPD Incompetence

Midlothian, IL

#15 Mar 16, 2008
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck to you and your wife. I had followed this case closely since it came to light and am OUTRAGED at the stupidity of the podunk Crestwood police department. Not only should charges NEVER have been filed, but since they were, they should have been DROPPED IMMEDIATELY.
Crestwood should take some of their off-track betting money and pay for all of your legal expenses and toss in a bit more for your troubles.
A DISGUSTING abuse of Barney Fife-like authority.
Good luck to you and your family.
Thank You. It was the many voices of outrage that helped us win some justice.
CWPD Incompetence

Midlothian, IL

#16 Mar 16, 2008
Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
The horror is that if your wife had not been an erudite, savvy, middle-class woman your children might have ended up in the horror of foster care. I live in a predominantly African-American area and the placement of multiple foster children with foster parents who use the kids as cash cows is sickening.(And before anybody starts yelling that there are wonderful foster parents, I'm an adoptive mother of three great special-need kids that I'm totally supporting.)
God Bless you and your wife and I hope you're planning to sue the incompetent dimwits in Crestwood.
I agree. Still, we had to fight like hell. We are fortunate to be educated, have principles and the resources to fight this. My wife will be working to help others get justice here as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preschooler suspended from daycare for bringing... Sun Tonto 3
News Wife of Caseyville Township trustee seeks court... (Jan '14) Mar 24 TermLimits 13
News Edwardsville Township announces senior services... Mar 23 TroySenior 2
who remembers? (Dec '08) Mar 23 CremationBusiness 134
Nicole Miller paramedic Mar 23 Nmedic397 1
News DCFS ordered father of seven found dead in housea Mar 23 Amy Mattingly6969 1
Edwardsville wants more school taxes Mar 22 None ya 6

Maryville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maryville Mortgages