Man charged in Tenn. church shooting

Man charged in Tenn. church shooting

There are 11 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 8, 2009, titled Man charged in Tenn. church shooting. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Illinois State Police say the pastor gunned down at a church in a St. Louis suburb used a Bible to deflect the first of four rounds fired during his Sunday sermon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

I hate spigots

United States

#2 Mar 8, 2009
Can anybody tell me why hand guns are still legal in this country? We no longer live in the 18th century. If you want to protect yourself in your home, use a rifle. This is so insane that a pastor needs to be shot.
Tom

Macungie, PA

#3 Mar 8, 2009
Oh.. Let me guess.. Now the bible thumpers are going to claim God stopped the first bullet! Um.. Not.. Any book that thickness would have done the same thing.

Tell me where was your god when this happened? Why did he not protect his believer?

I'll tell you why.. Because he's not real.. He is a made up entity.
GOD

Slatington, PA

#4 Mar 8, 2009
Tom wrote:
Oh.. Let me guess.. Now the bible thumpers are going to claim God stopped the first bullet! Um.. Not.. Any book that thickness would have done the same thing.
Tell me where was your god when this happened? Why did he not protect his believer?
And in your dying breath you will say my name
snowman allentown PA

Sellersville, PA

#5 Mar 8, 2009
I hate spigots wrote:
Can anybody tell me why hand guns are still legal in this country? We no longer live in the 18th century. If you want to protect yourself in your home, use a rifle. This is so insane that a pastor needs to be shot.
If you read the federalists papers and letters by the framers of OUR U.S. CONSTITUTION, the guns are not for your protection but to keep our government in check. I, too, have a col .45 pistol and a shot gun and a 30-40 Krag. All are important. And if guns were illegal do you think this guy would not have gotten a rifle and sawed off the stock and the barrel to be able to carry it under his arm. Those willing to kill can also make weapons, so let the rest of us law-abiding citizens alone.
Mike

Easton, PA

#6 Mar 8, 2009
Where did you ever get the notion that God always protects His loved ones? Sounds to me like you're just trying to build a case for being a fool.
hey

Bethlehem, PA

#7 Mar 8, 2009
Tom wrote:
Real good time to get on your anti-Religion pedestal. Nevermind a man was murdered, or the fact that nobody has tried to turn this in the direction you have implicated... I hope you feel better about yourself because you preempted such a horrible assertion.
And before you try to turn me into a religious fanatic, I have been out of the Church for a long time... but I still have feelings and what has happened here is horrible regardless of the person's lifework.
Tom

Macungie, PA

#8 Mar 9, 2009
Not likely.. My dying breathe will likely be F U Dorkus......
GOD wrote:
<quoted text>And in your dying breath you will say my name
Tom

Macungie, PA

#9 Mar 9, 2009
Dude get over it.. People have been killing people since the beginning of time and it will continue until the human race disappears of this planet.

Fact is the government is not harsh enough for people like this. He will get life in prison and WE will have to support his worthless A$$ till he croaks.

We need to start giving more losers like this the death penalty. Not only that but we have to eliminate the drain on state dollars the trials cost.

They say it's too expensive to execute someone in the USA.. That is because we allow them to make appeal after appeal for decades.. In China they get a bullet to the brain once judged guilty.

Now I understand they execute at the drop of a hat in China for things that aren't really even crimes... But we need to follow part of what they do as an example.

What I mean is people like this loser should get "1" single appeal and at the conclusion of that appeal if still found guilty he should be executed immediately with a .32 cent bullet to the brain. No wasting millions in taxpayers money, he's guilty - he dies.. Simple as that!

The USA is far too nice to criminals.
hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Real good time to get on your anti-Religion pedestal. Nevermind a man was murdered, or the fact that nobody has tried to turn this in the direction you have implicated... I hope you feel better about yourself because you preempted such a horrible assertion.
And before you try to turn me into a religious fanatic, I have been out of the Church for a long time... but I still have feelings and what has happened here is horrible regardless of the person's lifework.
tammy

Emmaus, PA

#10 Mar 9, 2009
Tom wrote:
Not likely.. My dying breathe will likely be F U Dorkus......
<quoted text>
Trailer park trash at it's finest!
Tom

Macungie, PA

#11 Mar 9, 2009
Guns should be carried by ALL americans. If criminals know most people are armed they will be less likely to try anything.

If the some of the students at Virginia Tech would have had the right to carry, that shooting would not have claimed so many lives. The fact the goverment is taking away the second amendment slowly is why people like this can get away with what they do.

They know most people don't carry guns so the criminals have no fear. But if they walk into a bank or what ever and all including the old lady is carrying, they will think twice about robbing it.

Guns don't kill, people kill and none of the gun control currently in place has been proven to stop any of the murders. In fact it has done the opposite. If you take away guns criminals have the advantage.

Stop being part of the problem and start being part of the solution.

Dorkus!
I hate spigots wrote:
Concerned

Marion, IA

#12 Mar 10, 2009
Tom wrote:
God was there as Pastor Winters was killed and He will remain there as He always has been for the people who love Him. He took Pastor Winters' hand and ushered him into paradise to begin enjoying the beautiful gift of salvation that He offers all of us...free for the taking. God does protect His believer's SOUL for eternity. That's what it is all about. We live in a fallen and sinful world and believers are not exempt from things that happen here. It's just that we have something that others don't have when faced with trials. God shows favor to those and walks with them through the trials. It gives you peace and joy even in the midst of tragedy. The many times that God protects us physically is for His reasons, and His purposes may not have been accomplished yet. An unbeliever cannot understand this because their hearts have been hardened and their eyes have been blinded. You need to understand that God doesn't bully his way into your life and He won't come in unless you ask him to. God loves everyone because He created everyone. But out of His love for us, He gave us free-will because He didn't want us to love Him because He made us do it. Think about your theory on God not being real. I'm willing to take a chance and be crazy for Christ just in case you happen to be wrong. I certainly hope that you will take the same chance because if one day you truly find out you are right, you basically have lost nothing. But what if you are wrong and all those crazy Christians are really right? Are you ready the moment you die to face something so horrible that you can't find anything here on earth to compare it to? Think about the worst day in your life...multiply that by millions and know that if you haven't allowed Jesus to take over your life, you will spend your eternity feeling that way EVERY SINGLE DAY...FOREVER! Guess God gave you that choice, now, didn't He? Life is about choices...hope you pick the right door because Jesus is waiting behind one of them. You have no idea the reward that Pastor Fred received on Sunday morning! Praise God!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kirk Kinnear (Elmo) 12 hr casual reader 530 6
I can find all kinds of info about someone for you (Apr '10) 13 hr curious in arky 9
Kelly ursch Fri Curious 1
Drug dealers Jul 27 Ex smoker 1
Troy ZX (Jul '11) Jul 27 Johnny T 66
News Man Charged with Abuse Jul 27 Amilia Brownkowsk... 1
New Restaurant? (May '14) Jul 27 jem 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maryville Mortgages