Report: People shot at Illinois Bapti...

Report: People shot at Illinois Baptist church

There are 17 comments on the MSNBC story from Mar 8, 2009, titled Report: People shot at Illinois Baptist church. In it, MSNBC reports that:

Test your knowledge of the week's top crimes Click here every Wednesday to see how well you've been paying attention to the crime and court stories that made headlines the week before.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MSNBC.

Bubbles

Laguna Beach, CA

#1 Mar 8, 2009
OK, who brings a knife to church?
nunya

Pocahontas, IL

#2 Mar 8, 2009
who brings a gun????!!!!
UpTownTooDeloo

Collinsville, IL

#3 Mar 8, 2009
My question is, what did this pastor do? I'm sure this guy did not just walk up and shoot him for no reason. Time will tell though. But i have my theory. And i think it is a case of bad karma coming back to haunt the pastor for something he did, that he probably should not have.
Lamp Shade

Belleville, IL

#4 Mar 8, 2009
UpTownTooDeloo,

Pardon me, but it sounds like you're condoning what happened. Since when is murder an acceptable resolution to a conflict?

Forget your theories. It's best to let people think yhou're a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.
dba31

Bolingbrook, IL

#5 Mar 8, 2009
I could care less what this pastor did, what is wrong with people??? That is my question. Can't anyone deal with life anymore?? Too many wimps out there in society these days. Life is tough, that's the truth. Not everyone you meet in life will make you happy or do things to satisfy you but then you deal with that by commiting murder? People can't even go to Sunday mass anymore and feel safe. I know there are many disturbed people out there but get a backbone and deal with your problems in a sane and mature manner. I guess we'll have to wait and see why this guy did this, but there really is no excuse for it.
nunya

Pocahontas, IL

#6 Mar 8, 2009
dba31 wrote:
I could care less what this pastor did, what is wrong with people??? That is my question. Can't anyone deal with life anymore?? Too many wimps out there in society these days. Life is tough, that's the truth. Not everyone you meet in life will make you happy or do things to satisfy you but then you deal with that by commiting murder? People can't even go to Sunday mass anymore and feel safe. I know there are many disturbed people out there but get a backbone and deal with your problems in a sane and mature manner. I guess we'll have to wait and see why this guy did this, but there really is no excuse for it.
the excuse is it's always someone elses fault these days no matter what blame someone else for the problems you have in your life and don't take personal responsibility........ oh my dad left when i was little i'm going to go kill some people wah wah wah
howie

Granite City, IL

#7 Mar 9, 2009
Updating on this thread, too: Today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch describes the gunman as a one Terry Joe Sedlacek, 27, who is mentally ill, fighting the effects of Lyme disease. He was written up in the same paper last August 6th in connection with this diease.
UpTownTooDeloo

Collinsville, IL

#8 Mar 9, 2009
I think it is even deeper than lyme disease. There had to be something that brought the killer to that church, and something that made him target the pastor. It's not like he just started shooting randomly, he intended to kill the pastor.

And i am not saying that murder is right, i was just asking what the pastor did. Because somebody felt like they needed to murder him, and usually if somebody feel's like they need to kill an individual, it is because they feel like they have been seriously wronged by that individual. NOWHERE, did i say murder was right, so please don't put words in my mouth, or speak for me.

But i will say that their are alot of pastors, priest, and ministers that do deserve to have their b@ll& cut off for doing what they do to children.
phull

Lees Summit, MO

#9 Mar 9, 2009
UpTownTooDeloo wrote:
My question is, what did this pastor do? I'm sure this guy did not just walk up and shoot him for no reason. Time will tell though. But i have my theory. And i think it is a case of bad karma coming back to haunt the pastor for something he did, that he probably should not have.
First of all, how dare you have a "theory" about someone you don't know and verbalize even a generalization of said theory. Will you publish another post apologizing now that it has already been revealed that the assailant was mentally ill?

Secondly, I have known Pastor Fred Winters for 30 years. There are no skeletons in his closet...none.

Lastly, but most importantly, you owe his dear wife and children an apology for intimating that their loved one did something horrible in his past to justify this.
UpTownTooDeloo

Collinsville, IL

#10 Mar 9, 2009
Phull, i don't believe i owe anybody an apology. I am just going off of statistics. If you cannot face what statistics point out, you are only fooling yourself.

And also, how would you know that this pastor did not have any skeletons in his closet, were you in his closet with him?
phull

Lees Summit, MO

#11 Mar 9, 2009
Well, I can't argue your point on statistics. That is true. But trust me on this one, if the statistics show that 90% of the time there is something going on that shouldn't be, then this is one of the cases that makes up the 10%.

If another friend of mine had been killed who I believed was in the "90%", I probably wouldn't have felt the need to comment.

Your feelings and right to voice them are not at issue (other than out of resect not of the deceased, but the loved ones he left behind) but you base your opinions on statistics only. I can base mine on knowledge of the individual and bounce those off the stats. And yes, we all have secrets that we don't share with our closest friends. The difference is the degree of sordidness those secrets are. And, knowing this man for 30 years...from childhood until now, I am a better judge of what those are than a complete stranger.

You make a good point on statistics in general but the cute little barb at the end of your statement doesn't help your credibility.
sss

Chickamauga, GA

#12 Mar 9, 2009
How do you know where you in there with him
i would be afaird to judge a man of God . God is our judge and you are really walking on dangerous
grounds by Judgeing Pastor winters.
my prayers are with the family and church members.
OH yes all the children that have been taken away from us as the results of crime What did they do wrong . I would ask for forgiviness for your JUdgeing this man
UpTownTooDeloo

Collinsville, IL

#13 Mar 9, 2009
SSS you obviously have not a clue as to how to read. I never once judged this man, again i was going solely off of statistics. And i am only asking the same questions the cops would,why? I will assure you there was more to the story than this guy just having lyme disease. The pieces just don't fit in my opinion.People get lyme disease all the time, and never resort to murder.So there has to be more And just because somebody claims to be a man of god, does not mean that they are perfect, after all are we not all man of god?
bogus

New Harmony, IN

#14 Mar 9, 2009
howie wrote:
Updating on this thread, too: Today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch describes the gunman as a one Terry Joe Sedlacek, 27, who is mentally ill, fighting the effects of Lyme disease. He was written up in the same paper last August 6th in connection with this diease.
I suffer from the effects of Lymes since 1984, I haven't had an urge to kill anyone!
Nat

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Mar 9, 2009
You are obviously retarded. Karma? I think you have unresolved issues and are pushing them on the pastor. No matter - no one deserves to die this way and no one is above the law.
Nat

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Mar 9, 2009
UpTownTooDeloo wrote:
I think it is even deeper than lyme disease. There had to be something that brought the killer to that church, and something that made him target the pastor. It's not like he just started shooting randomly, he intended to kill the pastor.
And i am not saying that murder is right, i was just asking what the pastor did. Because somebody felt like they needed to murder him, and usually if somebody feel's like they need to kill an individual, it is because they feel like they have been seriously wronged by that individual. NOWHERE, did i say murder was right, so please don't put words in my mouth, or speak for me.
But i will say that their are alot of pastors, priest, and ministers that do deserve to have their b@ll& cut off for doing what they do to children.
You have issues. Everyone should not have to suffer for a few idiots or even be put in a generalized category. He shot many. Mental disease is horrible. His brain may have told him it was God wanting him to kill. You never know... and spouting out stupid reasons only makes things worse.
Nat

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Mar 9, 2009
You who blame karma or the wrongs of others obviously have maturity issues. Everyone should not have to suffer for a few idiots or even be put in a generalized category. He shot many. Mental disease is horrible. His brain may have told him it was God wanting him to kill. You never know... and spouting out stupid reasons only makes things worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reparation for black people 20 hr David 6
News Heroin Task Force To Meet 20 hr Thunber Gundersin... 1
black chicks (May '14) Thu David 7
Moving to Edwardsville (Jun '13) Jun 29 Rita Toner 6
fat black people (Jun '14) Jun 29 Black Panther Riders 4
News Attorney in drug trafficking case gets sentenced (May '08) Jun 27 Kurt 15
Bi/Gay teens troy il (Jun '14) Jun 25 Amy M 15
More from around the web

Maryville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE