R-Rated Movie Shown To Class Without Parents' Permission | WBNS...

Full story: 10TV WBNS

Parents said Wednesday that they had no idea that their children were shown an R-rated movie in their children's classroom last week.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of220
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
jat

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

So, it's ok for our 18 yr. olds to go into battle and see this stuff for real, but they can't see it in a movie? They should know what war is really like. It's not a video game. Grow up.
Saving private Ryan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

These parents are going to tell us there kids do not watch these type of monies at home or with their friends?????? In high school?
Rtarara

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

I watched it in my HS history class too. High School's old enough to see it. They are almost old enough to enlist themselves. The movie isn't nearly as bloody as the real war was. It should be uncomfortable. A lot of people died on that beach. It shouldn't be glazed over.
concerned

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

It would be one thing if they were showing it to 18 year olds, but it was a class of sophomores. they can't attend the movie in a theater without a parent or enlist in the military yet, there's no need to be showing it.
concerned

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

Saving private Ryan wrote:
These parents are going to tell us there kids do not watch these type of monies at home or with their friends?????? In high school?
. i attended the school board mtg and can attest to the fact that the particular student who walked out does not watch these kinds of movies in her home. i can't speak for the other students, but the goal isn't to change what people are watching in their homes, but to change what is being shown in the place where my tax dollars are being spent.
Just Another Voter

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

I think that "MOST" kids watch the rated "R" movies. Maybe "Saving Private Ryan" wasn't the greatest movie to pick but I think the kids watch way worse movies than that.
Marysville MOM

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

GOOD FOR THESE PARENTS!!! how is it allowed for teachers to show rated R movies to students anyway???? If they cannot see a movie at a theater because they are under 18 -- how is it that teachers and administrators feel they can defy this and show a movie? Most movies that are pg-13 have scenes and language that are not allowed to be spoken or done at school, so why is it ok for them to watch it?
Teachers need to teach and it is not necessary for them to show a movie just because they read a book!
Cincha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

A realistic film about a real event...hmmm...in a social studies high school classroom...hmmm
..but recruiters are allowed to roam the hall of every public high school?
Marysville MOM

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

jat wrote:
So, it's ok for our 18 yr. olds to go into battle and see this stuff for real, but they can't see it in a movie? They should know what war is really like. It's not a video game. Grow up.
I believe that it is ok for them to see the movies at home or at theaters where parents give their permission, but these movies are being shown without parents permission an also to students who are younger than 18.
Marysville MOM

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

Saving private Ryan wrote:
No a lot of parents do not allow their children to see rated R movies without their permission. That is the problem here! The school believes they can pick any movie even if the students are not old enough to see it, with or without the parents permission. It is different when they are doing this on their own to defy their parents, but when a teacher/administrator whom parents trust allow them to watch this then it is a problem.
Pathetic

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

As a History Teacher, I am not surprised by this at all. Parents obviously have been trained on differentiating lesson material and integrating classroom technology to reach all learners.... Guess the money I paid for my degree is wasted since parents can do my professional job better. I applaud the teacher. It is a wonderful teachable moment to show young adults the realities of war and the time period of WWII as it truly was. Find a backbone, buttercup.
BeeTee

Riverdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

Oh please. This movie IS relevant to american history. So maybe there's some violence, blood & "bad" words. Sure war is disturbing, but it's been a part of our lives for generations. I'd bet that every american family family has a veteran in it somewhere. Their stories must be told and their memories must be honored. Kudos to the teacher for showing our kids what war was like back then. Now, the kids can turn on CNN and see how things have changed. These parents need to quit sheltering their kids from the real world. Such sheltering will just make them naive & vulernable adults.
Pathetic

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

Your tax dollars are spent to pay TRAINED teachers who better understand teaching than you do. Just because you pay taxes. it doesn't mean you have ANY say in what goes on in the classroom.
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>. i attended the school board mtg and can attest to the fact that the particular student who walked out does not watch these kinds of movies in her home. i can't speak for the other students, but the goal isn't to change what people are watching in their homes, but to change what is being shown in the place where my tax dollars are being spent.
Yo Mama

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

Saving Private Ryan seriously!!! People get a grip on reality.
Rated R should stand for Real Life...
The whole word is Rated R.
Pathetic

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

Grow a spine. Shelter your kids and you do them considerable developmental harm. Not all students can read at grade level but are visual and emotional learners... FACT. Let's give the students the tools they need to succeed in life...not sheltering from parents who lack the judgement to best prepare them for life.
Marysville MOM wrote:
GOOD FOR THESE PARENTS!!! how is it allowed for teachers to show rated R movies to students anyway???? If they cannot see a movie at a theater because they are under 18 -- how is it that teachers and administrators feel they can defy this and show a movie? Most movies that are pg-13 have scenes and language that are not allowed to be spoken or done at school, so why is it ok for them to watch it?
Teachers need to teach and it is not necessary for them to show a movie just because they read a book!
Steve

Zanesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

Are the parents afraid that the kids will see the truth of what war really is?
Matt V

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

What happened to the days when teachers taught and parents made sure their students were respectful in class, did their homework, and supported public education? Got a problem? There are several charter schools you could send your baby girl and baby boy to.
Hah

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

If you think your 15 year old has never seen a rated R movie, you are the most naive parent on the planet earth.
Miter Broller

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

The MPAA rating is subjective to begin with, was there anything to be LEARNED from watching the film? Did we forget that that is why the STUDENTS are there to begin with or are we just getting caught up with policy issues? You can bury your head in the sand in Marysville if you want, but the reality is that great people all over this nation and elsewhere are dying to defend your freedoms. War is never pretty, I don't care if you see at at 15 or age 55. Not allowing your child to see something that happens everyday on this planet, doesn't make it go away or make it any easier to prevent. Use this as an opportunity to TEACH and not censor.
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2010

Judged:

These Parents children will be eaten by the real world. Check their internet use and cell phones and you can bet they arent that innocent but only have their parents fooled.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of220
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Marysville Forum right now

Search the Marysville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
A thread for Yahmez to talk about himself (May '09) 16 min mplcs 53
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Old Guy 28,463
boycott plain city steam threshers show (Jul '13) 15 hr animal control 63
Who is mplcs? (Dec '12) 21 hr mplcs 26
pastyme park damage (Jul '13) Wed guyDATurWIFEwantz2SCREW 5
Maggots found in food at two Ohio prisons Jul 8 guyDATurWIFEwantz2SCREW 6
Gay friendly bars in Marysville? (Apr '10) Jul 8 passthepopcorn 29
•••
•••
•••
•••

Marysville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000