Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz County Rising

Oct 23, 2013 Full story: Patch.com 164

Despite the improving nationwide economy, a new census report indicates the number of homeless people in Santa Cruz County is trending upward.

Full Story
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#41 Oct 27, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Between the testimony of the City's Public Safety Task Force, the Homeless Census & Survey 2013, The City's Homelessness Study Session or data provided by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff re: recidivism & incarceration, it all shows that HUFF has been right all along and that the beliefs held & promoted by the PSTF, Take Back Santa Cruz, Councilmembers Comstock & Judge Ariadne Symons are completely wrong.
Homelessness in Santa Cruz County represents 1.3% of our total population. This is in line with a 1 - 3% homeless rate experienced by cities across our nation.
So we don't have "more than our share."
72% last had housing in SC County.
With only 18% of our homeless pop. sheltered, our services rank among the worst in the nation. Last year, the region ranked 400th out of 425 in the percentage of its homeless population that was sheltered, according HUD data -- one notch above the U.S. Virgin Islands. Hardly a homeless "magnet."
So no, MOST homeless people are NOT moving from outside of Santa Cruz here for our "wonderful" services. They were living here already and our services are not at all "generous."
Data also reveal that homeless people do NOT statistically represent a safety risk to housed people. The VAST majority of "crimes" they are cited or arrested for are camping, sleeping, having an open container, being in a park after hours, dog on the mall after dark, etc. These "crimes" do not truly impact in any way the assault, burglary, car-jacking, or rape rate.
And statistics do NOT show that predatory people are coming from outside of Santa Cruz to prey on our community. 17 out of the 18 people currently charged with murder are locals.
Finally, the Sheriff's report that the length of sentence has no effect on recidivisms. This means that we can greatly shorten sentences w/o any negative effect on public safety. We can allieve overcrowding AND reduce costs.
http://i.imgur.com/BVLBTnW.gif
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#42 Oct 27, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
JOHN WRITES:"Counties and Cities are two different things."
BECKY: Oh, really? Thanks for the tip. Above I only wrote about the County. According to the Homelessness Census & Survey, 1,351 individuals were physically counted on a single night within the City of Santa Cruz(Pop. 62,041)or 2.1%. Yup. Between 1-3% homeless, just like everywhere else.
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#43 Oct 27, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Anyway, my points still stand despite your scrutiny:
1. MOST homeless people in Santa Cruz last had housing IN SANTA CRUZ
2. Homeless people from other counties or states are not flocking to Santa Cruz in droves
3. We do NOT have "generous" services. Our ratio of unsheltered v sheltered is one of the worst in the country
4. We do not have a rising crime rate if one views the last 15 or 20 years. Homeless people are not statistically more likely to assault, burglarize, rape, or murder other citizens.
5. We do not have "more than our share" of homeless people.
redmon

Santa Cruz, CA

#44 Oct 28, 2013
redmon wrote:
Here's a fun story. This one time, I was in the hospital ER, I was helping a nurse clean a homeless person, took his pants off and dude had white mushrooms growing off his penis and testicles. A grown man, capable of gripping, walking, talking, demanding, pissing, pooping, and eating, couldn't wash himself before MUSHROOMS GREW ON HIS TESTICLES. Self-reliance, personal responsibility, it's a thing of the past. It's a sad sad world out there, but we should just house them, it's only 1-3% of the population...lol, LOL!
I apologize to readers for posting this horrible experience to make my point. I had a few beers and got irritated about this whole HUFF/Becky "we told you so" attitude. There are people in this world that can't take care of themselves. Building a small sanctuary camp and increasing shelter does not address the core reasons as to why people can't take care of themselves, their responsibilities, or be productive citizens in our society.

I support more shelter but with strict rules, accountability, drug rehab, mental health, and job skill development and placement. People need help out there, and bleating about "why can't our county house 1-3% of the population" while there are much more important areas to address (and people) is just ludicrous. It's a complex issue and a simplistic solution that doesn't even dent the need in our community while spending 30 years trying to gain traction with your ideas is asinine activism.

The situation I described in my quotes really happened, there are no identifying qualities, but take what I shared as a Reality Check to the horrendous effects of alcohol, drugs, and mentally ill individuals out there on the streets of America.
Reality Check

Santa Cruz, CA

#45 Oct 28, 2013
Word.
DBS

Cupertino, CA

#46 Oct 28, 2013
redmon wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize to readers for posting this horrible experience to make my point. I had a few beers and got irritated about this whole HUFF/Becky "we told you so" attitude.
The REALLY sick part is, the numbers prove that BJ was WRONG!!

And what they prove most of all, is that the HUFF crackpots didn't do anything that was of any help to anyone.

but that's what we expect from them.
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

#47 Oct 28, 2013
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks
The brakemen have to tip their hats
And the railway bulls are blind
There's a lake of stew
And of whiskey too
You can paddle all around it
In a big canoe
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains,
The jails are made of tin.
And you can walk right out again,
As soon as you are in.
There ain't no short-handled shovels,
No axes, saws nor picks,
I'm bound to stay
Where you sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk
That invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains.
Craig

New York, NY

#48 Oct 28, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
BECKY: From actual data scientifically collected we don't find that Santa Cruz is the destination point for people who are already homeless.
Once again, BECKY, you prove you don't know how to read comparative data.

While the "scientifically collected" RATE shows the number of people coming to Santa Cruz after becoming homeless fell, from 33% to 28%, it shows that the actual number INCREASED. In the 2011 census 33% was 914 people. In the 2013 census the lower rate of 28% is 990 people. This is because the total increased significantly. So actually MORE homeless are coming here after becoming homeless then before. More people are making it their destination.
Craig

New York, NY

#49 Oct 28, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
JOHN WRITES:
BECKY: Oh, really? Thanks for the tip. Above I only wrote about the County. According to the Homelessness Census & Survey, 1,351 individuals were physically counted on a single night within the City of Santa Cruz(Pop. 62,041)or 2.1%. Yup. Between 1-3% homeless, just like everywhere else.
No, not "just like everywhere else".

Previously you stated that the homeless rate in Santa Cruz was similar to any major city in the US. I responded with a list of the top 10 US cities along with their homeless rate. As a percentage, Santa Cruz beat all the top 10 by double.

You need to travel more. And I don't mean to Moutainview to see Commander X. What's going on in downtown Santa Cruz is nothing like everywhere else.
Craig

New York, NY

#50 Oct 28, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Anyway, my points still stand despite your scrutiny:

2. Homeless people from other counties or states are not flocking to Santa Cruz in droves
Your points fall....and fail.

The actual number of people coming to Santa Cruz after becoming homeless,not the percentage but actual number, has increased in each census. They ARE coming to SC in ever increasing numbers.
Craig

New York, NY

#51 Oct 28, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
BECKY: How hard (or expensive) would it be to subsidize housing for the 1 - 3% who are suffering on our streets in one of the richest counties in the world?
You actually do have mental issues, don't you?

Now, I know you think anyone making over $20,000 is "wealthy", but Santa Cruz County as one of the richest counties in the world?? Please supply the data for that one because you are totally not functioning in reality with that statement. Again, you need to get out more often if you think that one is true.

Or was this one of your "mistakes" ? Did you mean "countRies"? If so, with "mistakes" like that its no wonder you didn't advance in the competition towards becoming a National Merit Scholar.
DBS

Cupertino, CA

#52 Oct 29, 2013
Craig wrote:
<quoted text>
Your points fall....and fail.
The actual number of people coming to Santa Cruz after becoming homeless,not the percentage but actual number, has increased in each census. They ARE coming to SC in ever increasing numbers.
So once again, the numbers proved that BJ was wrong, yet she claims on Indycrap that "HUFF was right all along".

Maybe that was the "Big Win" she predicted???
Pud

Kingman, AZ

#53 Oct 29, 2013
DBS wrote:
<quoted text>
So once again, the numbers proved that BJ was wrong, yet she claims on Indycrap that "HUFF was right all along".
Maybe that was the "Big Win" she predicted???
I don't think that "Big Win" got her back on the sub list either.
Craig

New York, NY

#54 Oct 29, 2013
There is a reason the 2013 survey results were so late in being released. The numbers were unsettling. All agencies involved, as well as the city and county, basically admitted it was late because they were trying to work on how to message it. One of the hottest topics is the number of already homeless individuals coming to Santa Cruz from out of county and out of state. Go back and look at previous reports and you will notice tha most results are shown with an actual count number as well as a percentage. For this topic they only give a percentage....because it sounds better. People would be shocked to read the number over number increase every time They do this on purpose.

They also do this because they know people like BECKY only scan the data and don't dig in to what is actually being presented. They know she'll fall for it and say exactly what she did, "The number from out of county and state is coming down!! Just look at the survey results! It proves they're not coming here!". Then, the truth is the opposite.

It's a shame that BECKY does not apply herself and actually do some back up work before making grand statements.
DBS

Cupertino, CA

#55 Oct 29, 2013
Craig wrote:
There is a reason the 2013 survey results were so late in being released. The numbers were unsettling. All agencies involved, as well as the city and county, basically admitted it was late because they were trying to work on how to message it. One of the hottest topics is the number of already homeless individuals coming to Santa Cruz from out of county and out of state. Go back and look at previous reports and you will notice tha most results are shown with an actual count number as well as a percentage. For this topic they only give a percentage....because it sounds better. People would be shocked to read the number over number increase every time They do this on purpose.
They also do this because they know people like BECKY only scan the data and don't dig in to what is actually being presented. They know she'll fall for it and say exactly what she did, "The number from out of county and state is coming down!! Just look at the survey results! It proves they're not coming here!". Then, the truth is the opposite.
It's a shame that BECKY does not apply herself and actually do some back up work before making grand statements.
But Craig, since when did BJ ever let any facts get in the way of the crackpot conclusion she wants to impose on us?

Isn't that what BJ and especially Robert all about?

The real issue behind their "Activism" is whether or not they can bend Santa Cruz and it's residents into submission, AKA trying to impose their wish for domination.
Craig

New York, NY

#56 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
And statistics do NOT show that predatory people are coming from outside of Santa Cruz to prey on our community. 17 out of the 18 people currently charged with murder are locals.
Does that include the homeless guy that was surrounded by five other homeless people, one of them from another country, and then beaten to death with stones and a skateboard? I believe one was charged with the murder and others with accessory to murder.

“Pearls before swine”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA.

#57 Oct 29, 2013
CRAIG WRITES: "In the 2011 census 33% was 914 people. In the 2013 census the lower rate of 28% is 990 people. This is because the total increased significantly. So actually MORE homeless are coming here after becoming homeless then before. More people are making it their destination."

BECKY: By your own figures, a total of 76 people are measured as having been homeless already before moving into Santa Cruz County? After 2 years. That represents 0.028% of our population of 266,776. Numerically, this is insignificant. The problem is NOT that our services are a "magnet for homelessness." The problem CAUSING homelessness is the gap between the wages earned and the cost of housing. To end homelessness, we need to boost wages, cut housing costs, or both.

This has NOTHING to do with "personal responsibility." In fact, if you insist on blaming someone, blame our Past local leaders for failing to oversee that sufficient housing is built or made available affordable to the people who work and live here.

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#58 Oct 29, 2013
CRAIG WRITES: "No, not "just like everywhere else".

Previously you stated that the homeless rate in Santa Cruz was similar to any major city in the US. I responded with a list of the top 10 US cities along with their homeless rate. As a percentage, Santa Cruz beat all the top 10 by double."

BECKY: First, have you considered that SC County does a GREAT JOB of collecting its census? Localities that do a poor job of data collection, produce statistics that are much lower than the actual rate of homelessness.

But even without making this adjustment, we do NOT have more than 3% of our population homeless. This means our rate lies within the 1%- 3% rate found in most parts of our nation.

We are NOT that special. However, new data suggest that the TBSC attitude is having the effect of making our UNSHELTERED rate of homelessness stand out as one of the worst in the nation. We used to be average!

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#59 Oct 29, 2013
CRAIG WRITES: "The actual number of people coming to Santa Cruz after becoming homeless,not the percentage but actual number, has increased in each census. They ARE coming to SC in ever increasing numbers."

BECKY: I don't think that's true or can be proven. Our surveys have ALWAYS shown that most people who are homeless in Santa Cruz last had housing in Santa Cruz. That makes them OUR homeless.

You want us to focus on the fly-speck elements statistically and ignore the massive & overwhelming evidence that:

1. homeless people are NOT moving to Santa Cruz in droves because of our "generous" homeless services
2. MOST of our increasing homeless population comes from people who lived here locally but lost a job, got a divorce, got sick, or otherwise lost their housing while living here.

3. Our homeless services are NOT "generous" by comparison with other cities

Prove me wrong, CRAIG.
DBS

Cupertino, CA

#60 Oct 29, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:

Prove me wrong, CRAIG.
He already did.

You're just too stoned/stupid to realize it.

Whackjob.

Go back to Detroit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marysville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School Closings: Port Huron, Marysville (Feb '08) Nov 25 hpallett 11
Yuba City Music Thread (Oct '12) Nov 24 Gomer-ez 24
Fruit tree pruning workshop held today (Feb '09) Nov 21 Michael2327 3
Cops and Courts: Sept. 13, 2008 (Sep '08) Nov '14 Oh just me 53
Letters, Oct. 22, 2014: Sherman is wrong for Sa... Nov '14 Get a job ColbyLOSER 11
Historic Bridge Part of the Virginia Turnpike T... (Apr '14) Nov '14 American Gentlema... 2
Cultural Council of Santa Cruz County announces... (Jul '12) Nov '14 Neil 20
Marysville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Marysville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Marysville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Marysville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:32 pm PST