Report reveals racial profilling

Report reveals racial profilling

There are 339 comments on the KSHB-TV Kansas City story from Jun 4, 2010, titled Report reveals racial profilling. In it, KSHB-TV Kansas City reports that:

A report released this week by the Attorney Generala s Office shows racial profiling is an issue in Missouri, but some officials argue the report isna t completely accurate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSHB-TV Kansas City.

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
BIGT

Rochester, NY

#1 Jun 21, 2010
Whatever
Cpt M

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Jun 21, 2010
Can't happen. This is America.
The Civil War ended slavery over 100 years ago and it has been almost 50 years since the passage of the Civil Rights Act.
Everything is fine.
neighbor

Florissant, MO

#3 Jun 21, 2010
AND? Stop committing crime and you won't be profiled. Thanks.
Observer

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Jun 22, 2010
neighbor wrote:
AND? Stop committing crime and you won't be profiled. Thanks.
Your point is well taken. Obviously a higher percentage of blacks get involved in criminal activities due to various social factors.
But it's not as simple as "Stop committing crimes". White people commit crimes too but very few get pulled over for being a white person driving through a mostly black residential community. Most blacks do not commit crimes but most risk being pulled over just for being in the wrong place. That is called profiling and it does happen.
The real answers and solutions are very complex.
statistics

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jun 22, 2010
ok ... well statistics can go either way .. positive or negative ...
neighbor

Florissant, MO

#6 Jun 22, 2010
I tend to disagee because I remember knowing guys when I was in my 20s that constantly got pulled over and they were white.

If you drive a beater and don't have a certain look chances are you are going to be pulled over.

On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I was stopped for anything. Probably at least 10 years.
yeah

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Jun 22, 2010
ok, now look at the stats for what race commits the most VIOLENT crimes.......oh what, no one wants to put those stats on the news, I wonder why

“Common Sense Is -”

Since: Mar 10

Not So Common"

#8 Jun 22, 2010
I got pulled over as a kid growing up in the area, most likely because of my long hair or when there were several of us in a car.
flomo

Chicago, IL

#9 Jun 22, 2010
The report is flawed because it only takes into account who is pulled over and it compares that to the population of that city. It doesn't take into account a few things that might make it hard for an officer to know the race of the driver until they went up to the window. Did the driver have tinted windows? Was the person on a highway going 70, 80, 90 mph? Was the person pulled over at night? Also, what was the race of the officer pulling people over? Is it still profiling of the person pulled over and the police officer are both black? Also, is there reverse profiling? Are more whites pulled over in black neighborhoods?
Stupid report

United States

#10 Jun 22, 2010
This report has no meaning. It does not mean Police are being racists,or picking on certain people at all. It simply means certain people are doing things that get them pulled over,like u turns, stopping in the fast lane of a 4 lane and backing up to turn, backing up on the highway to make an exit, etc. that gets them pulled over,and other stupid things they tend to do,which deserve a ticket. But then as we must be PC,we must first equalize by race who we give tickets to or even stop? What a worthless bunch of paperwork.
RECALL

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jun 22, 2010
Did either on of you actually read the report?
Pullovers

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Jun 22, 2010
Stupid report wrote:
This report has no meaning. It does not mean Police are being racists,or picking on certain people at all. It simply means certain people are doing things that get them pulled over,like u turns, stopping in the fast lane of a 4 lane and backing up to turn, backing up on the highway to make an exit, etc. that gets them pulled over,and other stupid things they tend to do,which deserve a ticket. But then as we must be PC,we must first equalize by race who we give tickets to or even stop? What a worthless bunch of paperwork.
A police officer can pull over any one almost any time. It is really easy for the officer to make a claim like "Car was weaving" or any other sort of reason. Back when I had long hair and a beard I got pulled over every once in a while. I got my current job and went with the clean shaved look, I haven't been pulled over since. I use to get pulled over and hear claims like, "Your brake lights did not come on." or "Your tail lights were not working." He would tap them and say, they are working now you better have them checked. I would go on my way and the lights were always fine when I or a mechanic checked them carefully. It was just their way of getting a close look at me.
hmmm

Florissant, MO

#13 Jun 22, 2010
the report that came out a couple weeks ago stated, in a small 2-line blurb, that whites are the majority of drivers being pulled over in the predominantly black neighborhoods. The rest was about the blacks and Ladue and such. You had to look real hard, in the middle of the article, but I thought it was funny to see.
Criminal Profiling

AOL

#14 Jun 22, 2010
Let's just call it what it is, Ciminal Profiling, and move on.

Bad guys, are bad, end of story.
flomo

Fenton, MO

#15 Jun 22, 2010
RECALL wrote:
Did either on of you actually read the report?
Yes I did read the report, why do you ask? This is my favorite line from Koster's analysis: "Statistical disproportion does not prove that law enforcement officers are making vehicle stops based on the perceived race or ethnicity of the driver." Why the hell doesn't he say that as his opening statement? It's the 9TH paragraph into his analysis.
Black Man

Olathe, KS

#16 Jun 22, 2010
Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but, young black men have a higher percentage chance of committing a crime than young white men. This is due to blacks having a higher percentage of poverty for various reasons. Those stricken with a higher percentage of poverty have higher crime rates. The hood is filled with blacks and very few whites, therefore, crime is more prevalent in those areas only due to poverty and what comes along with poverty. In other words, the issue is an issue of poverty and is not an issue of racial profiling. Hopefully some day the blacks stricken with poverty will rise up and overcome their situation as many upstanding blacks have done over the past several decades. This report means nothing to me other than those who did the study are VERY narrow minded. Black men are pulled over more often simply because they commit a higher percentage of crimes compared to white men, its as simple as that.
Barb

Kansas City, MO

#17 Jun 23, 2010
Stop committing crimes and acting like a idiot and the statistics would not show what they do. Parents alos need to control thier kids. Don't do something wrong and you wouldn't get pulled over. And quit dealing drugs and you wouldn't be watched!!
Barb

Kansas City, MO

#18 Jun 23, 2010
People should not use poverty as a excuse to steal or break the law such as dealing drugs. It is called go to school or get a job!!! Find something productive to do. My family were low income and we never broke the law. My parents taught us right from wrong and we went to church. I think parents need to instill morals and values into thier kids!!!! And set a good example for kids.
you know

Florissant, MO

#19 Jun 23, 2010
Black Man wrote:
Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but, young black men have a higher percentage chance of committing a crime than young white men. This is due to blacks having a higher percentage of poverty for various reasons. Those stricken with a higher percentage of poverty have higher crime rates. The hood is filled with blacks and very few whites, therefore, crime is more prevalent in those areas only due to poverty and what comes along with poverty. In other words, the issue is an issue of poverty and is not an issue of racial profiling. Hopefully some day the blacks stricken with poverty will rise up and overcome their situation as many upstanding blacks have done over the past several decades. This report means nothing to me other than those who did the study are VERY narrow minded. Black men are pulled over more often simply because they commit a higher percentage of crimes compared to white men, its as simple as that.
The first part of this is pure crap.
Frank O

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Jun 23, 2010
you know wrote:
<quoted text>The first part of this is pure crap.
You probably know the old saying, "Opinions are like..."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Matt Holmsley Jun 18 Yankee Liberal 1
3 women vandalize stores Jun 18 Back Again 3
CenturyLink: poor service, awful employer Jun 8 anonymous 1
Miss Niggggy USA Jun 7 Cadience 1
Chesterfield hookups Jun 6 Robbie 1
News Man Found Dead Inside Car in Berkeley, MO (Dec '09) May '16 Elk Logic 44
Discreet fun May '16 Mwm 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maryland Heights Mortgages