Female pedestrian killed, another injured in Laurel

Feb 12, 2009 Full story: The Baltimore Sun 35

One pedestrian was killed and another taken to a hospital in serious condition after two women were struck by a car in Laurel today, police said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mary Willey_ Laura Cruz

Clarksburg, MD

#1 Feb 12, 2009
I dont agree with this article. How can pedestrians cross against a pedestrian "do not walk" signal, if they are not in the crosswalk??? What evidence indicates that they were crossing against the signal. Bibi's head had gone through the drivers window shield and then the driver backed up with enough speed to hit Mary, the second victum shattering most of her body. How is that not excessive speed?? PATRICIA ROWLAND killed a mother of 2 small children and injured the other woman leaving her in serious condition. The speed limit at that intersection is between 35 and 45 mph. What ever happened to the people driving being responsible for thier actions, and pedestrians having the right of way???
The article indicates that the driver had no fault in this "accident" and that it was the Pedestrians faults.
mdm

Severn, MD

#2 Feb 13, 2009
It is extremely tragic what has happened and my heart goes out to all of the people involved and the families of both of the victims. Based on the police report, Mary was the victim in the front of the car. Unless we were there, all differnt perspectives will be brought forth, but we must be cautious to not pass judgement and details that may not be correct. Sadly accidents do happen and I am sure the driver is distraught and even though the victims may have not been walking in the crosswalk or walked against the sign, if the driver would have been able to prevent the accident she would have. Instead of putting the blame on anyone, whethether the victims or the driver, more focus needs to be given in prayer for everyone involved in this tragedy. If this area is prone for accidents - measures should be taken to ensure the safety of anyone who travels through that intersection whether by car or by foot.
Accident

Washington, DC

#3 Feb 13, 2009
Mary Willey_ Laura Cruz wrote:
I dont agree with this article. How can pedestrians cross against a pedestrian "do not walk" signal, if they are not in the crosswalk??? What evidence indicates that they were crossing against the signal. Bibi's head had gone through the drivers window shield and then the driver backed up with enough speed to hit Mary, the second victum shattering most of her body. How is that not excessive speed?? PATRICIA ROWLAND killed a mother of 2 small children and injured the other woman leaving her in serious condition. The speed limit at that intersection is between 35 and 45 mph. What ever happened to the people driving being responsible for thier actions, and pedestrians having the right of way???
The article indicates that the driver had no fault in this "accident" and that it was the Pedestrians faults.
The police report DOES NOT indicate in any manner that the driver backed up.
Mary Willey_ Laura Cruz

Clarksburg, MD

#4 Feb 13, 2009
Accident wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but eye witnesses and seeing the condition of the car gives you a big clue. Mary and Bibi were my friends along with other Walmart and McDonald's Employees (who did see the after affects of the accident.)
Not so shocked citizen

Laurel, MD

#5 Feb 14, 2009
News Flash to Laurel Pedestrians- When you cross a highway in front of a moving vehicle you could be injured or even killed- pedestrians have as much responsibility as motor vehicle operators to ensure they are safe when crossing a roadway. This was a terrible tragedy but appears to be soley the fault of those injured. If the speeds were greater on Main street in Laurel there would be pedestrians hit frequently due to them assuming a vehicle can stop just because a pedestrian walked out in front of them outside of crosswalks. While we all understand crime is a priority the police should be enforcing the laws when possible for pedestrian violators and speeding laws for vehicles rather than putting signs in the middle of the street that are themselves a safety hazard due to the width of the street.
not so shocked

Baltimore, MD

#6 Feb 14, 2009
Accident wrote:
<quoted text>
i disagree with what you're saying. You should take more responsibility paying attention to vehicles coming down the road. especially with a large street like 198. I know mrs rowland. i happen to date her daughter. and we all know that she doesnt speed excessively. And there were witnesses to say that they were walking against the stop sign. Mrs rowland had the green light. Its sad that one of the ladies died. but hey. u kno its a busy highway and u should take precautions before just crossing the street because u feel like you're the pedestrian. people need to have more common sense than that.
Witness

Pikesville, MD

#7 Feb 15, 2009
my heart goes out to both the friends and family of the victims & the driver.

it is indeed a tragic situation & unless you were there to see it, you have no idea what happened in that instance. i was driving down 198 that morning & i saw the accident from behind. it was a horrible situation & i continue to see it in my head over & over.

i would like to clarify that the driver did not back up. once she realized that she hit something, she stopped the car & immediately got out to see what happened. she then went back into her car to get her cell phone. the glare of the sun that morning was unbearable. it was hard to see even the cars in front of you. the sun was exactly the same friday morning @ 7:15.

i dont doubt that anyone who knew ms khan & who knows ms hummel are in pain. lets not forget that ms rowland im sure is equally distraught & we should keep the three of them in prayer.
Sympathetic Citizen

Frederick, MD

#8 Feb 17, 2009
<quoted text>
No, but eye witnesses and seeing the condition of the car gives you a big clue. Mary and Bibi were my friends along with other Walmart and McDonald's Employees (who did see the after affects of the accident.)
Eye witnesses were interviewed by the police. If Ms. Rowland "backed up," that would have been revealed in the many newspaper articles that have posted on this matter. Seeing "after effects" of an accident do not reveal the series of events. I understand that you are upset over the loss of your friends and you have my sympathies, sincerely. It is hard to be rational when you are grieving and you want to blame someone. However, put yourself in Ms. Rowland's shoes. How do suppose she's feeling right now? Aside from that, not putting the blame on the pedestrians, ANYONE should know better than to cross the road where it is reported they were crossing. No crosswalk, no traffic lights. All three people were in the wrong place at the the wrong on that day and it is a tragedy. There is no blame.
revmaggie

Mount Rainier, MD

#9 Feb 18, 2009
Pedestrians only have rights if they are indeed in a valid crosswalk. The drivers are at fault if the pedestrian was in a valid crosswalk and the driver was neglegent. I don't think this is the case in this situation.

I don't think this driver was being neglegent since she apparently was on her way to work at that hour of the morning. She apparently didn't see the pedestrians with the sun glaring in her eyes as other witnesses stated on this blog and other blogs. And the pedestrians where probably on their way to work as well.

The sad part is that one person did die, another person is in critical condition and the driver is very distraught with grief over this tragedy.

No one should be judging any of these people involved since it is not our place to judge anyone. Our opinions are just that opinions. We should be praying for the families of those involved in this tragedy and leave it be. We should be asking is there anything that we can do to assist all of those involved to help them move one with their lives.

May God watch over all those involved in this tragedy and may He welcome the deceased in heaven.
skt

Fairfax, VA

#10 Feb 18, 2009
Well we all know the truth is going to come out VERY soon it has been investigated and will be out in the public that it was definitely the driver's fault. She ran the read light and killed the 2 pedestrians. Look at the evidence!! This was a tragic accident that severly injured and killed bibi karpaiya and hopefully it'll remind people to slow down! It even opened up my eyes to that.
skt

Fairfax, VA

#11 Feb 18, 2009
I meant killed 1 pedestrian bibi karpaiya and severely injured the other. My heart goes out to all families involved.
Sympathetic Citizen

Frederick, MD

#12 Feb 19, 2009
skt wrote:
Well we all know the truth is going to come out VERY soon it has been investigated and will be out in the public that it was definitely the driver's fault. She ran the read light and killed the 2 pedestrians. Look at the evidence!! This was a tragic accident that severly injured and killed bibi karpaiya and hopefully it'll remind people to slow down! It even opened up my eyes to that.
So do you have some insider tip that it was the driver's fault? And what would the evidence be, exactly? There's no proof to date that the driver ran a red light, that I know of. Please share your source with the public. We'd all like to know exactly what happened on that terrible day as well. Where you in the car? Walking with Mary and Bibi (if you knew either of them, my sincere condolences on your loss)? I think not. The only factual thing you said, at this point, was that it was a tragic accident. The eye witness who was in the car behind Ms. Rowland said what she saw. There was sun glare. Maybe she did run the red but if she did, it was because she couldn't see it. And she was not speeding. That has already been determined. For the record, driver's are not the only ones who have "rules of the road" to abide by. Pedestrians ARE NOT supposed to cross where those people were crossing. What, in all this awful mess, makes that error OK and the driver 100% guilty?
Sympathetic Citizen

Lorton, VA

#13 Feb 19, 2009
....again wait and see. Some of us know the facts already but can't share it yet. The truth will come out to the public very soon. I'm assuming "skt" knows some insider details as well. Driver or pedestrian someone was at fault...either way one of them is gone, the other still hospitalized, and the other will remember for the rest of her life.

BTW, pedestrians ARE ALLOWED to walk in that specific area where the accident happened. I KNOW THAT 100%...I visited the site. DON'T ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ!!!
Caring Friend of Mary

Clarksburg, MD

#14 Feb 22, 2009
Sympathetic Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
So do you have some insider tip that it was the driver's fault? And what would the evidence be, exactly? There's no proof to date that the driver ran a red light, that I know of. Please share your source with the public. We'd all like to know exactly what happened on that terrible day as well. Where you in the car? Walking with Mary and Bibi (if you knew either of them, my sincere condolences on your loss)? I think not. The only factual thing you said, at this point, was that it was a tragic accident. The eye witness who was in the car behind Ms. Rowland said what she saw. There was sun glare. Maybe she did run the red but if she did, it was because she couldn't see it. And she was not speeding. That has already been determined. For the record, driver's are not the only ones who have "rules of the road" to abide by. Pedestrians ARE NOT supposed to cross where those people were crossing. What, in all this awful mess, makes that error OK and the driver 100% guilty?
Obviously you are not a Sympathetic person. You don't have to sit by the bedside of Mary who is in the hospital. You don't have to make arrangements what is going to happen to her home or her cat, or ask her son to come home from the military to deal with this "accident". YOU ARE NOT A SYMPATHETIC PERSON YOU ARE A PATHETIC PERSON.
Caring Friend of Mary

Clarksburg, MD

#15 Feb 22, 2009
Sympathetic Citizen wrote:
....again wait and see. Some of us know the facts already but can't share it yet. The truth will come out to the public very soon. I'm assuming "skt" knows some insider details as well. Driver or pedestrian someone was at fault...either way one of them is gone, the other still hospitalized, and the other will remember for the rest of her life.
BTW, pedestrians ARE ALLOWED to walk in that specific area where the accident happened. I KNOW THAT 100%...I visited the site. DON'T ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ!!!
That is true don't always believe what you read!!!!
a friend

Highland, MD

#16 Feb 22, 2009
My sympathies to all those involved. Of all those who have commented on this article, and after viewing pictures of this accident, I'm going to say the eyewitness is most believable and the picture tells us a lot. The reality is that the combination of pedestrians crossing in an undesignated part of a very busy road with oncoming traffic during a time when the sun was low as well as a driver who is extremely familiar with that area, has driven that same road daily not expecting people to be in the road led to a sad, fatal accident. Knowing this driver, I will say that I find it extremely difficult to believe anything other than what the eyewitness has said.

Every person involved in this kind of event is grieving - and while it's sometimes our grief that forces us to look for someone to blame, it's also our grief that helps us to understand the necessity in life for forgiveness. I don't think there is any more "truth" that will be revealed, only rumors that will be dispelled. Please be slow to judge. We all make mistakes and do things we forever regret. Whenever you go to cross a busy road or drive into the sun in the early morning or at dusk, remember this incident and be wise. It's better to be safe than sorry.
mariemunk

AOL

#17 Feb 22, 2009
I think no matter what the case may be I always think people who are walking always have the right away, and yes the sun be shining so bright, but we as drivers need to slow down when driving, and be more cautious about our vehicles. My friend died and left three children behind and I think the driver is responsible for the death of bibi and she should pay the consequences for her action and also if she was not speeding my friend wil still be here. So however, you see things Mrs. rowland is a reckless driver.
Not so shocked citizen

Laurel, MD

#18 Feb 23, 2009
If a pedestrian walks in front of a car that does not have a chance to stop it is the pedestrian whose carelessness caused children to be left behind and a driver who now has to live with something she had no control over.
a friend

Highland, MD

#19 Feb 23, 2009
I really am truly sorry for your friend and her family - we all wish this had not occurred. There is no evidence of speeding, no eyewitness reports of speeding and nothing to indicate reckless driving. Mrs. Rowland is not a reckless driver - she is anything but. Crossing a 6 lane road outside of a crosswalk against a light is also reckless, but that does not mean we call pedestrians who did this frequently causes of accidents. Day in and day out people are hitting animals, who don't know to look for oncoming vehicles or to cross in a crosswalk, but we don't call every person who has hit and killed a deer a reckless driver, do we? I understand the need to find blame somewhere, but sometimes and accident is just that - an accident. When it is fatal, it's a terrible accident, for all involved.
fyi

Silver Spring, MD

#20 Feb 24, 2009
none

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laurel, MD - what is it Really Like? (Jun '08) 22 hr 40 years in Laurel 105
Follow me on Instagram (Jun '13) 22 hr indiana girl 14
Gay Air Force lieutenant faces sexual assault c... Tue Mitt s Dog Crate ... 74
Meade barracks 'unfit' (May '08) Dec 14 Sublime 11
Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Nov '14 Ash123 43
Principal at Dwight D Eisenhower punches kid in... Oct '14 Anonymous 3
Mars Orbiter's spectrometer shows Oort comet's ... Oct '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Maryland City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web