First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Nov 13

Chicago, IL

#1 Nov 8, 2013
“In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command:“Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

Is Luke opening here with the notion that a book was called Theophilus or just pointing to his gospel. The context seems to imply Luke was speaking of his gospel as the former book where he speaks of Jesus and his instructions for the apostles. Jesus seems to select the apostles apart from other people for something special. Enter the Baptist of the Holy Spirit. Jesus says this baptism was not like Johns baptism with water but a baptism with the Holy Spirit. Many claim this to be ongoing today but from Lukes mouth it seems isolated just for the apostles.
William

Birmingham, AL

#2 Nov 8, 2013
Verses 6 and 7 are really interesting too.

But almost no one actually believes that they mean what they say.

Since: Nov 13

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 8, 2013
Acts 1:6-7

“6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.”

Oh yeah you will get different takes on this. If we take this for what it says it means that the apostles were under the impression that Israel will one day see a restoration of things. Jesus didn’t deny what they said but seems to confirm it by say it wasn’t for them to know the times or seasons which the Father has put in his own power. If anything Jesus is saying one day Israel will be restored but it is not for them nor us to know when. That is how I see this not sure your take though.
William

Anniston, AL

#4 Nov 8, 2013
I believe that it means what it says.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#5 Nov 8, 2013
William wrote:
I believe that it means what it says.
Funny how prots pick and choose which of Christ's words they take literally! Cracks me up!
William

Anniston, AL

#6 Nov 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how prots pick and choose which of Christ's words they take literally! Cracks me up!
Pot, meet kettle.

Since: Nov 13

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how prots pick and choose which of Christ's words they take literally! Cracks me up!
I see what you are doing. You want to keep that Catholic agenda fresh so you kill each thread that relates to the bible so you can continue your perversion of the truth in favor of your tradition. Do you ever speak about Jesus or do you always come on here just to promote your agenda. Go show me where you have lifted up Christ on here. Your whole premise is founded upon a preconceived agenda which I now question your heart.
William

Anniston, AL

#8 Nov 8, 2013
Joe-the-Plumber wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what you are doing. You want to keep that Catholic agenda fresh so you kill each thread that relates to the bible so you can continue your perversion of the truth in favor of your tradition. Do you ever speak about Jesus or do you always come on here just to promote your agenda. Go show me where you have lifted up Christ on here. Your whole premise is founded upon a preconceived agenda which I now question your heart.
The ones on here let college professors point them to Catholicism. Even their Pope gets second billing in the teaching dept.

Catholicism is pretty much just a box-checking exercise anyway. Show up each Sunday to get your union card punched, drop off some cash, kneel in front of some statues, and knock back some crackers and cheap wine.

Rinse, repeat.
joetheplumber

United States

#9 Nov 8, 2013
I see you are right William. These people are not interested in studying the word of God so I will not waste my time on here
Mike_Peterson

Jackson, MS

#10 Nov 8, 2013
Joe-the-Plumber wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what you are doing. You want to keep that Catholic agenda fresh so you kill each thread that relates to the bible so you can continue your perversion of the truth in favor of your tradition. Do you ever speak about Jesus or do you always come on here just to promote your agenda. Go show me where you have lifted up Christ on here. Your whole premise is founded upon a preconceived agenda which I now question your heart.
You Prots think Bible study is deciding what some scripture means. Its not, it is how that the truth of that scripture which was decided 1600 years ago relates to your life today.

For example, in John, Jesus says unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you.

How does that relate to our lives. I have life in me because I eat his body and drink his blood.

Do you have life in you? If not, why haven't you joined the Church that teaches what Jesus said?

That is Bible Study.

Since: Nov 13

Chicago, IL

#11 Nov 8, 2013
Yeah sure you do. You eat some communion and drink a little wine thinking that in those elements exist the actual body and blood of the risen Christ. Such thinking fails to understand that IT IS FINISHED. You have Jesus still on a cross believing he is presented over and over in communion literally having his body and blood consumed via the elements of communion. What a perversion of the word of God.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#12 Nov 8, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
The ones on here let college professors point them to Catholicism. Even their Pope gets second billing in the teaching dept.
Catholicism is pretty much just a box-checking exercise anyway. Show up each Sunday to get your union card punched, drop off some cash, kneel in front of some statues, and knock back some crackers and cheap wine.
Rinse, repeat.
FYI Altar wine is not cheap unlike Welch's Pasteurized Grape Juice and those little disposable cups and the chrome plated trays with holes in them you prots pass around. I especially like the hymnal racks with the built in holes for the used little cups so you don't have to throw them on the floor.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#13 Nov 8, 2013
Joe-the-Plumber wrote:
Yeah sure you do. You eat some communion and drink a little wine thinking that in those elements exist the actual body and blood of the risen Christ. Such thinking fails to understand that IT IS FINISHED. You have Jesus still on a cross believing he is presented over and over in communion literally having his body and blood consumed via the elements of communion. What a perversion of the word of God.
So I take it they didn't teach too much about Sacred Tradition and the Church Fathers in plumbing school. I hope you are a better plumber than you are theologian.
Catholic Guy

Jackson, MS

#14 Nov 8, 2013
Joe-the-Plumber wrote:
Yeah sure you do. You eat some communion and drink a little wine thinking that in those elements exist the actual body and blood of the risen Christ. Such thinking fails to understand that IT IS FINISHED. You have Jesus still on a cross believing he is presented over and over in communion literally having his body and blood consumed via the elements of communion. What a perversion of the word of God.
Low end prot for sure. Bible study for you is a discussion with another prot on who the Holy Spirit is lying to.
Catholic Guy

Jackson, MS

#15 Nov 8, 2013
joetheplumber wrote:
I see you are right William. These people are not interested in studying the word of God so I will not waste my time on here
Adios: Come back when you get through reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church. You can learn something about the Bible..
Dave P

Olive Hill, KY

#16 Nov 8, 2013
Joe-the-Plumber wrote:
Acts 1:6-7
“6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.”
Oh yeah you will get different takes on this. If we take this for what it says it means that the apostles were under the impression that Israel will one day see a restoration of things. Jesus didn’t deny what they said but seems to confirm it by say it wasn’t for them to know the times or seasons which the Father has put in his own power. If anything Jesus is saying one day Israel will be restored but it is not for them nor us to know when. That is how I see this not sure your take though.
This is the last time Peter or any other writer had any mention of Israel and the kingdom. After Pentecost, no such idea pops up in Scripture.

Matthew 8:12- "The sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness."
Matthew 21:43- "The kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it."

Israel will lose the kingdom, not have it restored to them, according to Christ.
Mike_Peterson

Jackson, MS

#17 Nov 9, 2013
Joe-the-Plumber wrote:
Acts 1:6-7
That is how I see this not sure your take though.
We are talking about the infallible and inspired word of God.

This is a perfect example of how foolish SS is.

What is your take on the Truth?
Annoying Proxy

Chicago, IL

#18 Nov 9, 2013
Catholic Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Adios: Come back when you get through reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church. You can learn something about the Bible..
Mike, protestants recognize the scriptures as the word of God as the early church did. We had no need to create our own bible(catechism) nor did we feel the need to create another Christ(Vicar). We were perfectly content with the Jesus of the early church and the scriptures he gave us so we returned to that early church which the catholics being unhappy left. Protestants could no linger deny the truth, we had to return to the real Jesus and the real word of God.
Annoying Proxy

Chicago, IL

#19 Nov 9, 2013
Joe-the-Plumber wrote:
Acts 1:6-7
“6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.”
The apostles asked the Master teacher if he would restore the the kingdom at this time. Jesus answered and said it was not for the apostles to know the time it would be restored but only the Father. I don't see how anything can come from that question and answer than the kingdom has not been restored yet. Like the apostles, no man today will know that time which the Father has put in his own Power either. I don't believe in twisting verses to make a man made teaching acceptable. Why not just follow the Master teacher and what he taught us about that subject?

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#20 Nov 9, 2013
Annoying Proxy wrote:
<quoted text>Mike, protestants recognize the scriptures as the word of God as the early church did. We had no need to create our own bible(catechism) nor did we feel the need to create another Christ(Vicar). We were perfectly content with the Jesus of the early church and the scriptures he gave us so we returned to that early church which the catholics being unhappy left. Protestants could no linger deny the truth, we had to return to the real Jesus and the real word of God.
More steaming defrocked Sproul manure for the compost pile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
“Thus Saith Johnny” (Jul '12) 6 hr Ernie 122
Hell is a lie Dec 26 Jesus Saves Everyone 10
Catholics (Feb '14) Dec 26 Mike_Peterson 2,000
Identifing the Early Church Dec 24 Jesus Saves Everyone 425
How does the Spirit teach? Dec 24 Jesus saves everyone 5
5 Acts of Worship: The error of The Church of C... (Sep '11) Dec 23 Jerry Taylor 274
Sexy Massage Service 00971567675758 Dec 22 IceBlue1985 3
Martinsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Martinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Martinsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Martinsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:34 pm PST