First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#2 Mar 5, 2013
"Before Christ was born the people living in northern Europe had a goddess called Eostre, the goddess of the spring. Every year, in spring the people had a festival for her. The name of our spring festival, Easter, comes from the name Eostre." (The Easter Book, Milan: Macdonald Educational, 1980, p.5)

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#3 Mar 5, 2013
"Easter is connected in many ways with early pagan rituals that accompanied the arrival of spring." (Merit Students Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier, 1983, p.167-168)

"Both of these festivals [Easter and Christmas] have roots in old pagan rituals that they have superceeded." (G. MacGregor, Dictionary of Religion and Philosophy, New York: Paragon House, 1991, p.207)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 Mar 5, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
"Easter is connected in many ways with early pagan rituals that accompanied the arrival of spring." (Merit Students Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier, 1983, p.167-168)
"Both of these festivals [Easter and Christmas] have roots in old pagan rituals that they have superceeded." (G. MacGregor, Dictionary of Religion and Philosophy, New York: Paragon House, 1991, p.207)
And your point is? These are still pagan holidays that pagans celebrate?

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#5 Mar 5, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point is? These are still pagan holidays that pagans celebrate?
Easter is not a "Christian Holiday". True Christians will not celebrate as such. Illegalist will.

John 4:23-24

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Mar 5, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Easter is not a "Christian Holiday". True Christians will not celebrate as such. Illegalist will.
John 4:23-24
Are you speaking of the easter Bunny or the easter service that many groups do on easter sunday?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#7 Mar 5, 2013
John 4

23 But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. 24 God is [a]spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Mar 5, 2013
The easter message is about focusing on the cross. It is the christian way of tying the cross to the passover season. Jesus is the passover Lamb. During Easter/passover coc churches will preach on anything but the cross. They do the same thing during the Christmas season the preach on anything other than the birth of the Christ Child.

Btw, I have heard all of the reasons/arguments why easter must be a product of the devil and that evil catholic church.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#9 Mar 5, 2013
Bobby wrote:
The easter message is about focusing on the cross. It is the christian way of tying the cross to the passover season. Jesus is the passover Lamb. During Easter/passover coc churches will preach on anything but the cross. They do the same thing during the Christmas season the preach on anything other than the birth of the Christ Child.
Btw, I have heard all of the reasons/arguments why easter must be a product of the devil and that evil catholic church.
If our congregation is preaching a series on the cross we do not change that. If we are preaching a series on fellowship we do not change that. This year we have started a series on the cross and will do so on the day people consider easter. It is the biggest church day for most in the USA. Making a big deal out of the service is where I find it divisive. Stay consistent and preach the gospel which has the cross in it and there should never be a problem.
I find it irritating when a person comes once a year and ask why we dont have a Special Easter service. That show lack of knowledge and also commitment to the church and the Lord. The early Christians were committed to weekly meetings and fellowship, not just one day. But those people need the message also, just not sure what message they need.

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#10 Mar 5, 2013
Bobby wrote:
The easter message is about focusing on the cross. It is the christian way of tying the cross to the passover season. Jesus is the passover Lamb. During Easter/passover coc churches will preach on anything but the cross. They do the same thing during the Christmas season the preach on anything other than the birth of the Christ Child.

Btw, I have heard all of the reasons/arguments why easter must be a product of the devil and that evil catholic church.
"During Easter/passover coc churches will preach on anything but the cross."

False.

I've preached on the death and resurrection of Jesus on that day.

You're not only ignorant of the Bible but you're ignorant of reality.

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#11 Mar 5, 2013
Bobby wrote:
The easter message is about focusing on the cross. It is the christian way of tying the cross to the passover season. Jesus is the passover Lamb. During Easter/passover coc churches will preach on anything but the cross. They do the same thing during the Christmas season the preach on anything other than the birth of the Christ Child.

Btw, I have heard all of the reasons/arguments why easter must be a product of the devil and that evil catholic church.
"Btw, I have heard all of the reasons/arguments why easter must be a product of the devil and that evil catholic church."

Reality is reality.

It is what it is.

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#12 Mar 5, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>Are you speaking of the easter Bunny or the easter service that many groups do on easter sunday?
I'm speaking of those who celebrate it as the resurrection of Jesus.

Illegalist love Catholic holy days.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#13 Mar 5, 2013
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
If our congregation is preaching a series on the cross we do not change that. If we are preaching a series on fellowship we do not change that. This year we have started a series on the cross and will do so on the day people consider easter. It is the biggest church day for most in the USA. Making a big deal out of the service is where I find it divisive. Stay consistent and preach the gospel which has the cross in it and there should never be a problem.
I find it irritating when a person comes once a year and ask why we dont have a Special Easter service. That show lack of knowledge and also commitment to the church and the Lord. The early Christians were committed to weekly meetings and fellowship, not just one day. But those people need the message also, just not sure what message they need.
while I was in the coc, I thought we were missing a great opportunity. Even in the coc, easter is a day when people come out of the woodwork and visit churches. The coc may have a policy of baptismal regeneration, but they also know that all new converts need to hear the message of the cross first.

So, I have always thought the coc was being obstinate in sticking with their tradition and missing the golden opportunity afforded by those traditions-Christmas and Easter. After all Jesus birth was necessary and so was the cross, so we should not hide from it for the sake of own doctrinal traditions.
New Guy

Morehead, KY

#14 Mar 5, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm speaking of those who celebrate it as the resurrection of Jesus.
Illegalist love Catholic holy days.
If you have preached the death and resurrection on "easter Sunday" then in effect what are you doing? Doesn't that make you an illegalist as well? Or are you just not celebrating it in your mind? Are you a prophet knowing the thoughts and intents of man's heart?

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#15 Mar 5, 2013
New Guy wrote:
<quoted text>If you have preached the death and resurrection on "easter Sunday" then in effect what are you doing? Doesn't that make you an illegalist as well? Or are you just not celebrating it in your mind? Are you a prophet knowing the thoughts and intents of man's heart?
Don't be stupid.

Prov. 12:1
Stacy

Martinsville, VA

#16 Mar 5, 2013
Often “Easter” and “Christmas” are two days that many people will attend a Church service who otherwise may not. It seems logical that we take full advantage of this and offer to them the story of our Lord and His gospel. Its completely idiotic to refer to someone as an illegalist because they “observe” Easter Sunday. They aren’t observing what the Pagans observed but remembering the Lord Jesus Christ who was born of a virgin, died for sins, rose from the dead. Heath, you seriously need to climb off that high horse and open your eyes. No Church today celebrates Easter as did the Pagans.

Since: Jan 10

Royse City

#17 Mar 5, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>while I was in the coc, I thought we were missing a great opportunity. Even in the coc, easter is a day when people come out of the woodwork and visit churches. The coc may have a policy of baptismal regeneration, but they also know that all new converts need to hear the message of the cross first.

So, I have always thought the coc was being obstinate in sticking with their tradition and missing the golden opportunity afforded by those traditions-Christmas and Easter. After all Jesus birth was necessary and so was the cross, so we should not hide from it for the sake of own doctrinal traditions.
"The coc may have a policy of baptismal regeneration"

One of the many lies you post.

However, I come to except it.

www.roysecitycoc.org
Stacy

Martinsville, VA

#18 Mar 5, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
"The coc may have a policy of baptismal regeneration"
One of the many lies you post.
However, I come to except it.
www.roysecitycoc.org
May I be baptized for forgiveness of sins then attend a Baptist Church? Will that nullify my baptism? If so, you indeed have a policy of sorts.
Stacy

Martinsville, VA

#19 Mar 5, 2013
Will non-Jews be accepted by God if they keep the Ten Commandments? If the Ten Commandments are written on their hearts, won’t they be accepted by God quicker than someone who is a Jew, but who does not keep the Ten Commandments? The obvious answer to these questions is: Yes, God would accept the non-Jew who kept the Ten Commandments as if they were written on his heart (Rom 2:26).

How did Paul know to say that? He said his argument was motivated by the good news of Jesus Christ. He was inspired by the Holy Spirit, but notice that he was inspired by the Holy Spirit to appeal to the reason of the Jewish Christians in Rome at the time.(Most early Christians were Jewish.)

So if we were to use the same reasoning as in Romans 2, applying Paul’s logic to today, we could say:

So then, if those who are not baptized keep the law’s requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were baptized? 27 The one who is not baptized physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and baptism, are a lawbreaker.

28 A person is not a Christian who is one only outwardly, nor is baptism merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Christian who is one inwardly; and baptism is baptism of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#20 Mar 5, 2013
Stacy wrote:
Often “Easter” and “Christmas” are two days that many people will attend a Church service who otherwise may not. It seems logical that we take full advantage of this and offer to them the story of our Lord and His gospel. Its completely idiotic to refer to someone as an illegalist because they “observe” Easter Sunday. They aren’t observing what the Pagans observed but remembering the Lord Jesus Christ who was born of a virgin, died for sins, rose from the dead. Heath, you seriously need to climb off that high horse and open your eyes. No Church today celebrates Easter as did the Pagans.
I have heard this argument before but yet to see one converted on the easter service target day as you speak. At our congregation the invitation to accept the Lord and become a child of God through his direction is always given. I have found those attending ONLY on Easter and Christmas, have not thought of becoming a disciple of Christ but are simply fulfilling in their mind their two time a year attendance, and usually it is attending with a Mother or a wife.
That being said the invitation is always extended as I do not know their heart yet their actions are common with many.
Since the group I worship with deems each and every Sunday as the Lords day we do celebrate and bring to a our Mind the DEATH and Sacrifice that each of us did not deserve, as the early church also did.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21 Mar 5, 2013
Stacy wrote:
<quoted text>
May I be baptized for forgiveness of sins then attend a Baptist Church? Will that nullify my baptism? If so, you indeed have a policy of sorts.
If you chose to attend a baptist church after being immersed for the forgiveness of sins, Most baptist churches in the past have re-immersed you with the understanding that was to place you in their group but NOT for anything to do with your sins.
Man by the way can nullify any child from God, only God and that person have that ability.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Answering the Church of Christ 9 hr Randy 7
Lee Gilley shooting.... Jan 22 worriedfriend 1
rapture? Jan 22 Anonymous 3
How does the Spirit teach? Jan 20 Mike_Peterson 11
Catholics (Feb '14) Jan 20 Mike_Peterson 2,111
Johnny paying millions to bisexual (Mar '11) Jan 20 ANONYMOUS 34
0527061598.Dubai Massage Services, Body to Body... Jan 17 tony4u 3
Martinsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Martinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:59 am PST