Baptism: The Error of Charles Stanley

Posted in the Martinsville Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Charles Stanley

Axton, VA

#1 Mar 26, 2012
Since Scripture instructs believers to be baptized (Matt. 28:19)— and since obedience is an integral part of becoming a mature follower of Christ—the ceremony should be a part of every believer’s experience. However, IT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR SALVATION.

Baptism is not merely about being immersed, making a commitment, or joining a particular denomination or church. None of these things convey the real meaning of the ordinance. Baptism is about publicly identifying with Christ—it is an act of obedience and an outward expression of the decision to align oneself with Him and His ways.

If you struggle with the issue of baptism, find a church that agrees with the Bible’s teaching on the matter, and seek the counsel of someone who can help resolve your struggle. If you have come to understand that you were not baptized, I encourage you to take steps to follow in obedience to Christ’s command.
By Charles F. Stanley
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Mar 26, 2012
The errors of Alexander Campbell.

TPFKASW

Collinsville, VA

#3 Mar 26, 2012
Charles Stanley has waffled and flip-flopped more on baptism than Mitt Romney on politics.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#4 Mar 26, 2012
TPFKASW wrote:
Charles Stanley has waffled and flip-flopped more on baptism than Mitt Romney on politics.
Charles Stanley has never taught that water baptism is necessary for salvation. Like me he always encourages believers to do so because it is important as a personal witness to others and helps us to identify with Christ.

Seekingwanderer also said he was through with the discussions here. Welcome back:)
Bfrank

Martinsville, VA

#5 Mar 27, 2012
Seekingwanderer also said he was through with the discussions here, but looks like he is back. I can almost break her code =TPFKASW...
T-Tracy
P-?(Peterson)?
F-formerly
K-known
A-as
S-seeking
W-wanderer
RCFKAJC

Axton, VA

#6 Mar 27, 2012
Bfrank wrote:
Seekingwanderer also said he was through with the discussions here, but looks like he is back. I can almost break her code =TPFKASW...
T-Tracy
P-?(Peterson)?
F-formerly
K-known
A-as
S-seeking
W-wanderer
HER code? Thought Tracy was a dude.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#7 Mar 27, 2012
How is that home church coming along?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#8 Mar 28, 2012
Charles Stanley wrote:
Since Scripture instructs believers to be baptized (Matt. 28:19)— and since obedience is an integral part of becoming a mature follower of Christ—the ceremony should be a part of every believer’s experience. However, IT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR SALVATION.
Baptism is not merely about being immersed, making a commitment, or joining a particular denomination or church. None of these things convey the real meaning of the ordinance. Baptism is about publicly identifying with Christ—it is an act of obedience and an outward expression of the decision to align oneself with Him and His ways.
If you struggle with the issue of baptism, find a church that agrees with the Bible’s teaching on the matter, and seek the counsel of someone who can help resolve your struggle. If you have come to understand that you were not baptized, I encourage you to take steps to follow in obedience to Christ’s command.
By Charles F. Stanley
Your opinion of not essential I disagree with, people who struggle with the commandment to be baptised for the removal of sins just cant read. or they can read and rebel.

There is not one scripture I can think of that says it is for a public display.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 28, 2012
www.the errors of mankind in obeying baptism or you could just look in the bible for the way to do it.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#10 Mar 28, 2012
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion of not essential I disagree with, people who struggle with the commandment to be baptised for the removal of sins just cant read. or they can read and rebel.
There is not one scripture I can think of that says it is for a public display.
Was water baptism essential for the thief on the cross and how is that Cornelius received the Spirit before water baptism? Charles Stanley is absolutely correct. Water baptism is an ordinance just like communion. Neither of which places us in the church.

John 3:16—"that whosoever believeth in Him and is baptized should not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 6:47"He that believeth on Me and is baptized hath everlasting life."

Acts 10:43"that through His Name whosoever believeth in Him and is baptized shall receive remission (forgiveness) of sins."

Acts 16:31"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be baptized and thou shalt be saved."

1 Corinthians 1:21"it pleased God to save them that believe and that are baptized."

Have you noticed that these verses are not accurate? Something has been added to them, can you guess what it is?
frank

Axton, VA

#11 Mar 28, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Was water baptism essential for the thief on the cross and how is that Cornelius received the Spirit before water baptism? Charles Stanley is absolutely correct. Water baptism is an ordinance just like communion. Neither of which places us in the church.
John 3:16—"that whosoever believeth in Him and is baptized should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Acts 10:43"that through His Name whosoever believeth in Him and is baptized shall receive remission (forgiveness) of sins."
Acts 16:31"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be baptized and thou shalt be saved."
1 Corinthians 1:21"it pleased God to save them that believe and that are baptized."
Have you noticed that these verses are not accurate? Something has been added to them, can you guess what it is?
Lol. Wow. Talk about an abuse of the Bible. You can gather that information from other verses that you so wisely failed to include. No need to “add” Baptism to these verses, you can find it taught in other verses. Try reading them as a whole, rather than picking your supposed ‘faith only’ verses. You could cite the verses on baptism but you dodge that tooth and nail. Yall keep harping on Cornelius and the Thief as if you have a case. Both arguments have been repeatedly refuted on here.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#12 Mar 28, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Wow. Talk about an abuse of the Bible. You can gather that information from other verses that you so wisely failed to include. No need to “add” Baptism to these verses, you can find it taught in other verses. Try reading them as a whole, rather than picking your supposed ‘faith only’ verses. You could cite the verses on baptism but you dodge that tooth and nail. Yall keep harping on Cornelius and the Thief as if you have a case. Both arguments have been repeatedly refuted on here.
It can't be refuted...

Location hidden

#13 Mar 28, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree and the text will support being in Christ after and not prior to Baptism. Being in Christ is the the Key not just a belief. Action on the part of the believer is the difference. Just look back in the Old testament and see the nature of God when he was giving grace at that time. It still had conditions and still does today. Even Romans is clear in the fact that Obedience is the key to the faith spoken of there. Just look in the First chapter of Romans and the Last and you will see it is introduced with obedience and concluded with obedience.

Gal3:27 For all of you who were (A)baptized into Christ have (B)clothed yourselves with Christ.

Now the only question here is what if your not in Christ? are you lost or saved? And the big question is what are you baptised into?

Good luck bobby with your theology.
walkinginlove

Danville, VA

#14 Mar 28, 2012
The correct text for Matthew 28:19 is the following "Go ye and make disciples of all nations in my name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I commanded you."

This version quoted by Eusebius someone who came after the Apostles and is recognized as one of the fathers of the faith did not quote Matthew 28:19 to include baptism at all. The trinity formula baptism was added to combat the Gnostics who were teaching that God the father was evil and that Jesus was the good God, by adding the Trinty Baptism the Catholic Church, as it was called then, shut down that attack and forced people to submit to God the father as being good. Thus a Gnostic could not keep his beliefs and be baptized.

While the alteration was well meaning in it's nature it still was not the original text as quoted by Eusebius

http://www.dimensionsoftruth.org/interesting -...

The above is an interesting read although I do not agree with all their conclusions.

http://archive.org/details/proofofgospelbei01 ...

You can get a translated copy of The Proof of the Gosphel by Ebusebius and on page 24 you can see him quoting it in the original form!

The simple question is if Jesus taught them to baptize using the trinity formula why did they not do so? The only answer is they did not know of the text either!

Location hidden

#15 Mar 28, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
surly you way beyond the milk of the thief on the cross with a serious bible student and of Corneluius. Maybe Not.
walkinginlove

Danville, VA

#16 Mar 28, 2012
JustChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
surly you way beyond the milk of the thief on the cross with a serious bible student and of Corneluius. Maybe Not.
Speaking of milk, the Church of Christ used to claim the Thief died under the Old Testament until the meat of scripture was shown that Jesus died before the Thief and the Veil was torn signifying the end of the Old covenant and the beginning of the new. Your not still drinking milk are you?
HAHAHA

Collinsville, VA

#17 Mar 28, 2012
RCFKAJC wrote:
<quoted text>
HER code? Thought Tracy was a dude.
They can't interpret the Bible, so how can you expect them to tell something as simple as the sex of a person, especially when that person has made it blatantly obvious which they are? HAHAHA!
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#18 Mar 28, 2012
The easiest way to settle the issue of water baptism is to accept all water baptized believers as brothers in Christ, but then that would not be good enough would it?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#19 Mar 28, 2012
HAHAHA wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't interpret the Bible, so how can you expect them to tell something as simple as the sex of a person, especially when that person has made it blatantly obvious which they are? HAHAHA!
If you want to be part of the conversation here, why not just be yourself...

Location hidden

#20 Mar 29, 2012
Bobby wrote:
The easiest way to settle the issue of water baptism is to accept all water baptized believers as brothers in Christ, but then that would not be good enough would it?
The easy way is not always the biblical way might want to talk to the children of Israel about that thought pattern you have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Left: Listening to Those Who Have Left... (May '12) Jul 3 Barmsweb 48
How many of the 10 commandments have you broken? (Feb '12) Jul 2 Barmsweb 151
Johnny Robertson, when were you baptized? (Apr '15) Jun 29 Sig Fife 20
Looking Jun 29 Captain Hotdog 1
i want to be Christian.can i ? (May '15) Jun 29 Captain Hotdog 10
Pan Handling falls under the First Amendment Jun '17 Pan Handler 1
the church of Christ insider discussion boards (Aug '10) Mar '17 Democrappy ... 12

Martinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinsville Mortgages