Has your leadership started planning ...

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#183 Jun 30, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
So gay pride marches, flags, and marriage with equal status has been a dream of homosexuals from the beginning of time? Not outrunning the angry mob with stones?
The behavior is not new. Trying to make it an acceptable normal part of life is new.
Do you know what is new? Gay people trying to get the attention and support of heterosexual people so that somebody will vote them in some equal rights! They were happy not having parades or being all over the news - oh, except for not having their marriages legally recognized and not being considered family members to their life-long companions. Their annoying antics are YOUR fault with your majority loving political system. If law-makers would have allowed gay marriage without political intervention - the gays would have stayed home.

Give them what they want and they'll go BACK home.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#184 Jun 30, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
This is all why media outlets and other sources don't report such things. Adverse physical and medical effects. Simply put, humans are not made to engage in homosexual activity. Nature should tell us something here.
Do you know that yeast infections in baby girls are a direct result of cleaning a child's bottom back-to-front instead of front-to-back? They teach you that in "child raising" class.

It is the same idea that the site emphasized - spreading fecal matter is a way to spread bacteria and to cause infections. That's why the health department requires food handlers to wash their hands for 20 seconds before handling any food. It is unsanitary not to.

Anyone engaging in sexual activities has the responsibility of protecting themselves from disease and infection. Just teach that to the children BEFORE they go out into the world and find out by experience.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#185 Jun 30, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree with all this. I remember Bart Stupak saying he wouldn't vote for Obamacare unless he was assured that public funding for abortions weren't part of it. They told him it wasn't, he voted for it, guess what? We're gonna be paying for abortions. Way to go Stupak, sheer genius there.
I am not surprised that the government passed a program that increases dependence on the government while being profitable to the upper-class. My co-workers would have me believe that Obamacare will be destroying small businesses all around. They want me to believe that Obamacare destroyed our economy.

I know better than THAT. When Obama was elected the FIRST time, I thought: oh, gee, they're going to blame all this junk on the black guy, aren't they? YUP. Oh, well, he claimed to be up to the task. I'm just glad no one has assassinated him - see, our society has progressed!

My friends, this economic collapse has been predicted and foreseen since I was born.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#186 Jun 30, 2013
R-oman C-atholic SPROUL wrote:
<quoted text>That have the freedom to practice as they please today. Every step they take is intended to make it acceptable. It will never happen in the real church. Only option left? Destroy the real church? By real church I mean the temple or body God's Spirit resides in today, not a building or denomination. Simply put, homosexuality is wrong and will always be wrong to a follower of Christ.


OK then - it is true that Christians believe that homosexuality is wrong.

Also true - homosexuality is legal in the eyes of the law.

Which truth matters when it comes to law-making and equal rights? I think I know...
R-oman C-atholic SPROUL

Brooklyn, NY

#187 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
OK then - it is true that Christians believe that homosexuality is wrong.
Also true - homosexuality is legal in the eyes of the law.
Which truth matters when it comes to law-making and equal rights? I think I know...
And if the Muslins should gain political control in this country and start murdering the infidel homosexuals will that also be the truth? Christianity will be consistent then as they are now because God makes the rules in Christianity.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#188 Jun 30, 2013
Dave P wrote:
Government forcing someone to buy a product simply for being a citizen. Bending the interstate commerce clause for reasons it wasn't designed for. Tricky legislative shenanigans to even get it through by the skin of its teeth. That's a small overview, which is more than any congressman actually gave it. They didn't write or read the dumb thing.
No one is forcing me to purchase health insurance - well, I guess the public school system DOES require that I obtain health insurance for my child who participates in after-school programs - but that's been the case for years. And that IS my choice - I don't have to allow my child to participate in those programs. I wonder if health insurance is required to be enrolled in public school? I don't know that for sure, since I've always made sure to have health benefits for my children. Even if it isn't required, isn't it that responsible thing to do: provide your child with health insurance?

Anyone who cannot afford private health insurance for their child can go right down to the DHHR and apply for government funded children's health insurance - called CHIPS here in WV. I don't care WHO pays for it - any person who sits around holding their tax dollars while a child is not able to receive medical attention for their broken leg is a BEAST. It is society's responsibility to assure that ALL children receive quality care - remember, those kids are all those abortions you prevented.

But look at where I stand with purchasing insurance for myself and my family. Not only can I no longer afford it - next year it may not be available for me to afford! My cost of living has increased - and keeps increasing - while my income remains constant. I have to find ways to cut my living expenses. Purchasing affordable health care would save me THOUSANDS of dollars next year.

How can you convince me that I have any other choice?

Whether Obamacare is good or bad - it is happening. I HAVE to participate - I'm sorry that you hate it or feel like you are giving me a hand-out. I don't want anything for free.

There are no other realistic choices for me. Blame Obama, if you like, but it changes nothing.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#189 Jun 30, 2013
R-oman C-atholic SPROUL wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, corporate mergers is a real distortion of marriage, lol. The only relationship between corporations and anything that is any type of a permanent commitment is their lust for a dollar bill, and that is not a marriage. I will admit their commitment to money is stronger than what is present today between most married individuals towards each other.
Why is it so hard to consider marriage to be a legal contract? It is!

Do you know what would solve everything?

Let's call marriage - that ceremony in the Bible where you promise God to do all that stuff. That's what you want, right? To allow marriage to be defined by the Bible? OK - that's fine.

Let's call the marriage certificate you receive when you have your wedding ceremony something different, like: Love, Devotion, Co-existing Legal Pact. You know, something that wouldn't at all be confused with a marriage as defined by God.

It would be easier to make the Love, Devotion, Co-existing Legal Pact equal and fair to everyone if it were free of any gender requirements. To offer this legal contract to any two people would be the fair and right thing to do.

Would that make it easier?

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#190 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is forcing me to purchase health insurance - well, I guess the public school system DOES require that I obtain health insurance for my child who participates in after-school programs - but that's been the case for years. And that IS my choice - I don't have to allow my child to participate in those programs. I wonder if health insurance is required to be enrolled in public school? I don't know that for sure, since I've always made sure to have health benefits for my children. Even if it isn't required, isn't it that responsible thing to do: provide your child with health insurance?
Anyone who cannot afford private health insurance for their child can go right down to the DHHR and apply for government funded children's health insurance - called CHIPS here in WV. I don't care WHO pays for it - any person who sits around holding their tax dollars while a child is not able to receive medical attention for their broken leg is a BEAST. It is society's responsibility to assure that ALL children receive quality care - remember, those kids are all those abortions you prevented.
But look at where I stand with purchasing insurance for myself and my family. Not only can I no longer afford it - next year it may not be available for me to afford! My cost of living has increased - and keeps increasing - while my income remains constant. I have to find ways to cut my living expenses. Purchasing affordable health care would save me THOUSANDS of dollars next year.
How can you convince me that I have any other choice?
Whether Obamacare is good or bad - it is happening. I HAVE to participate - I'm sorry that you hate it or feel like you are giving me a hand-out. I don't want anything for free.
There are no other realistic choices for me. Blame Obama, if you like, but it changes nothing.
So you are ok with going to your next door neighbor and demanding at the point of a gun that he fork over his cash so you can take care of your family. IT IS NOT SOCIETY'S RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVIDE YOU OR YOUR KID WITH HEALTHCARE. How can you be an American and possibly think this? Maybe if you spent less time typing all your crap and more time improving yourself and working harder you would not have to have someone else's resources forcibly redistributed to you. Atlas Shrugged.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#191 Jun 30, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a snake handler or what?
MarkEden, stop trying to apply your hillbilly stereotypes on me. I am one of the most not-typical people in this town. Here, I am considered "not from around here" - I am actually from "around" Martinsville.

But I like it here. I accept this town and all of its troubles and challenges - I feel like I have lots to do here. My isolated lifestyle is satisfying to me - I do not envy you folks who work quickly and constantly in a fast paced city lifestyle. I'm the country mouse.

I am horrified of snakes, however, if you like that sort of thing, you should visit The Cranberry Visitor's center in Pocahontas Co., WV - they have a snake exhibit and you can touch them if you want to. Also, a lovely and informative nature trail through their relatively young forest.
R-oman C-atholic SPROUL

Brooklyn, NY

#192 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it so hard to consider marriage to be a legal contract? It is!
Do you know what would solve everything?
Let's call marriage - that ceremony in the Bible where you promise God to do all that stuff. That's what you want, right? To allow marriage to be defined by the Bible? OK - that's fine.
Let's call the marriage certificate you receive when you have your wedding ceremony something different, like: Love, Devotion, Co-existing Legal Pact. You know, something that wouldn't at all be confused with a marriage as defined by God.
It would be easier to make the Love, Devotion, Co-existing Legal Pact equal and fair to everyone if it were free of any gender requirements. To offer this legal contract to any two people would be the fair and right thing to do.
Would that make it easier?
I suppose you are speaking of civil unions?
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#193 Jun 30, 2013
ASM-OK then, we will just have to accept that when it comes to homosexuality, I disagree with you and God. I still think your fears of being oppressed by the gays are unsubstantiated.

*Ask catholic health care providers about being forced to perform abortions. That would be one example. After the first gay couple enters a church building demanding a marriage ceremony and recognition we'll discuss this again.

ASM- ASM-So you DO believe homosexuality should be punishable by death?

*4. We are people of grace, mercy, and forbearance. Spiritual death is the big concern. 99.9% of Christians have no desire to stone homosexuals.

If homosexuality is allowed, why shouldn't it be respected?

*Abortion is allowed-it isn't respectable at all. Illegals having anchor babies is allowed- is it respectable? Having a kid just to stay here?

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#194 Jun 30, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are ok with going to your next door neighbor and demanding at the point of a gun that he fork over his cash so you can take care of your family. IT IS NOT SOCIETY'S RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVIDE YOU OR YOUR KID WITH HEALTHCARE. How can you be an American and possibly think this? Maybe if you spent less time typing all your crap and more time improving yourself and working harder you would not have to have someone else's resources forcibly redistributed to you. Atlas Shrugged.
You are right about one thing: I have GOT to spend less time typing. It has felt so wonderful to express myself - thank you, Topix, for allowing me to communicate my ideas. I liked it.

My goal was to stand up for gay rights to everyone of you - every time you rejected the idea. Oh, but wow, I'm so far behind already, I can't keep this pace up. Yays for gays and all that, but I really HAVE to address this health insurance issue..

You tell me: what are my other choices??

Suppose you convince me that Obamacare is the downfall of our economy - you are convincing - what CAN I do about it? Are you suggesting that I just earn more money to cover the cost of private healthcare while everybody else gets some affordable healthcare? Earning more money is a difficult task where I live. I work full-time. My husband works full-time. We alternate schedules so that we can care for my disabled father-in-law and our kids. There are not really any more income opportunities within my living circumstances. Where will this extra income come from? Have you noticed that Americans are running out of extra income?

What kind of Christian doesn't care for the poor? I thought welfare was the Bible's idea.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#195 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, OK - can you explain how Obamacare is unconstitutional?
I understand how the abortion benefits were included. It is easy for me to say: hey, don't have an abortion, take responsibility for your child. The government is not so happy about my advice when they have another mouth to feed. There is a serious over-population issue - our government is in no position to discourage abortion. Why should the government pay? Abortions are cheaper than supporting live people - its a logical business decision. Rich girls can already afford abortions - its the babies born to poor folk that the government has to support - THEY are the ones who couldn't afford an abortion.
Do you blame Obamacare for our failing economy?
"It's a logical business decision". Please tell me that's not your true opinion of the abortion issue.

Is it just as easy to tell someone "Hey! You make good money. Pay for this poor woman to have an abortion"? Equality my foot on that one. Make people pay for something they consider murder? That's evil.

How is Obamacare unconstitutional? For one, violation of the interstate commerce clause. Two, any taxes are to originate in the House of Representatives- Obamacare originated in the Senate. Three- it forces some groups- catholics- to violate their religious beliefs. Four- Obama changed some provisions and language in the law after it was passed. Five- it is now coercing, strongarming people to join in, not a free will joining. Six-it imposes penalties on private citizens for not purchasing a product. It is one of if not the most overreaching political moves of all time.

Is Obamacare to blame for our failing economy? It will definitely play a big factor in it going forward from 2014 on.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#196 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not surprised that the government passed a program that increases dependence on the government while being profitable to the upper-class. My co-workers would have me believe that Obamacare will be destroying small businesses all around. They want me to believe that Obamacare destroyed our economy.
I know better than THAT. When Obama was elected the FIRST time, I thought: oh, gee, they're going to blame all this junk on the black guy, aren't they? YUP. Oh, well, he claimed to be up to the task. I'm just glad no one has assassinated him - see, our society has progressed!
My friends, this economic collapse has been predicted and foreseen since I was born.
ASM, the healthcare law will destroy small businesses, just as increasing the minimum wage actually does the same thing. Raise minimum wage to $15/hr and watch the jobs disappear in a flash.

Blame the black guy? Thought everything was GW Bush's fault. That's what the black guy says. Let's forget all about Bill and Hillary's hand in all of this though.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#197 Jun 30, 2013
ASM, you're presenting a lot of liberal and progressive ideas in the midst of a "Red Sea". Not preaching to the choir.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#198 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about one thing: I have GOT to spend less time typing. It has felt so wonderful to express myself - thank you, Topix, for allowing me to communicate my ideas. I liked it.
My goal was to stand up for gay rights to everyone of you - every time you rejected the idea. Oh, but wow, I'm so far behind already, I can't keep this pace up. Yays for gays and all that, but I really HAVE to address this health insurance issue..
You tell me: what are my other choices??
Suppose you convince me that Obamacare is the downfall of our economy - you are convincing - what CAN I do about it? Are you suggesting that I just earn more money to cover the cost of private health care while everybody else gets some affordable health care? Earning more money is a difficult task where I live. I work full-time. My husband works full-time. We alternate schedules so that we can care for my disabled father-in-law and our kids. There are not really any more income opportunities within my living circumstances. Where will this extra income come from? Have you noticed that Americans are running out of extra income?
What kind of Christian doesn't care for the poor? I thought welfare was the Bible's idea.
Move.

It is NOT the government's, therefore the people of the United State's responsibility to care for you except to protect you from foreign enemies. Read the Constitution! What you are asking was tried in the Soviet Union. It utterly failed. What you are asking even demanding is destroying the United Kingdom, Spain, Greece, France and other European socialist countries. Maybe you are too young to remember. I'm not. You are asking for wealth redistribution at the point of a gun. You are demanding people go to work everyday and hand over part of their pay to you. Shame, shame on you.

Now if churches and private charities extend a helping hand to those less fortunate that is an entirely different matter. It was this way until primarily Democrats figured out they needed a permanent underclass to keep them in power. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, Welfare, Obamacare and even Obamaphones are destroying this last great hope for humankind.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#199 Jun 30, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Move.
It is NOT the government's, therefore the people of the United State's responsibility to care for you except to protect you from foreign enemies. Read the Constitution! What you are asking was tried in the Soviet Union. It utterly failed. What you are asking even demanding is destroying the United Kingdom, Spain, Greece, France and other European socialist countries. Maybe you are too young to remember. I'm not. You are asking for wealth redistribution at the point of a gun. You are demanding people go to work everyday and hand over part of their pay to you. Shame, shame on you.
Now if churches and private charities extend a helping hand to those less fortunate that is an entirely different matter. It was this way until primarily Democrats figured out they needed a permanent underclass to keep them in power. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, Welfare, Obamacare and even Obamaphones are destroying this last great hope for humankind.
Your advice is: move!? I am supposed to look at my community members and say: this town is just awful, we all need to move away from here.

Let me tell you what happens if I move - I loose my completely-paid-for house! Sure, I could sell it - that would certainly disappoint the family who has owned this property for a century. I live in an heirloom - a very precious gift from my husband's ancestors. It is how this family has kept up a tradition of taking care of one another. Is it a person's responsibility to assume care of and provide for their extended family members? Around here it is. I knew what I was agreeing to when I moved into this home - I am expected to stay. I am needed here.

You act as if I asked for some government sponsored health care - no, I have always been offered health insurance as an employee benefit - lucky me! It is VERY expensive even though my employer pays a portion of it. Private insurance outside of my employee benefits is substantially MORE expensive than what I already pay! I could easily foot the bill for my own medical expenses for much less than I pay for insurance. But it is irresponsible for me to go without insurance - what if.. cancer, brain injury, kidney failure - those medical bills would ruin me! I would just have to die.

Affordable health care exists! I can't help it, you didn't prevent it, and it is available to ALL Americans. I will HAVE to choose it or I will be unable to afford my other living expenses. Is this how the government is "forcing" people to buy government insurance? It is a successful tactic. It is the only realistic choice that I can predict. I feel strongly that I will have to face this issue head on next year. If I have more choices, please, present them to me.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#200 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
MarkEden, stop trying to apply your hillbilly stereotypes on me. I am one of the most not-typical people in this town. Here, I am considered "not from around here" - I am actually from "around" Martinsville.
But I like it here. I accept this town and all of its troubles and challenges - I feel like I have lots to do here. My isolated lifestyle is satisfying to me - I do not envy you folks who work quickly and constantly in a fast paced city lifestyle. I'm the country mouse.
I am horrified of snakes, however, if you like that sort of thing, you should visit The Cranberry Visitor's center in Pocahontas Co., WV - they have a snake exhibit and you can touch them if you want to. Also, a lovely and informative nature trail through their relatively young forest.
I grew up in Martinsville and learned everything I need to know about the CofC while there. And everything I learned about West Virginia is found in The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia on Netflix and my visits to Hinton during the time my sister lived there.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#201 Jun 30, 2013
Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Your advice is: move!? I am supposed to look at my community members and say: this town is just awful, we all need to move away from here.
Let me tell you what happens if I move - I loose my completely-paid-for house! Sure, I could sell it - that would certainly disappoint the family who has owned this property for a century. I live in an heirloom - a very precious gift from my husband's ancestors. It is how this family has kept up a tradition of taking care of one another. Is it a person's responsibility to assume care of and provide for their extended family members? Around here it is. I knew what I was agreeing to when I moved into this home - I am expected to stay. I am needed here.
You act as if I asked for some government sponsored health care - no, I have always been offered health insurance as an employee benefit - lucky me! It is VERY expensive even though my employer pays a portion of it. Private insurance outside of my employee benefits is substantially MORE expensive than what I already pay! I could easily foot the bill for my own medical expenses for much less than I pay for insurance. But it is irresponsible for me to go without insurance - what if.. cancer, brain injury, kidney failure - those medical bills would ruin me! I would just have to die.
Affordable health care exists! I can't help it, you didn't prevent it, and it is available to ALL Americans. I will HAVE to choose it or I will be unable to afford my other living expenses. Is this how the government is "forcing" people to buy government insurance? It is a successful tactic. It is the only realistic choice that I can predict. I feel strongly that I will have to face this issue head on next year. If I have more choices, please, present them to me.
So you don't have a mortgage or pay rent? You are too too much. My house was paid for but I moved and now have a mortgage and pay for private healthcare insurance. Looks like there is no "affordable" healthcare for you unless you expect a total stranger to go to work everyday and help you pay for it.

Since: Jul 12

Welch, WV

#202 Jun 30, 2013
Dave P wrote:
ASM, you're presenting a lot of liberal and progressive ideas in the midst of a "Red Sea". Not preaching to the choir.
I got what I asked for, Dave - a bunch of people to jump up and present their beliefs. Thank you for all your good points - I don't want to ignore them, but I am all out of gay rights enthusiasm for now.

I often hear Christians' side of the argument - I don't have the nerve to stand up to my peers and argue my own view - I keep the peace by keeping my own views oppressed. I oppress myself for the sake of spreading joy and not aggravation and frustration. But HERE is a platform for ME to rant and speak my side without any repercussions for my actions. You all LISTENED!! I have achieved success!

You have encouraged me to take on a topic I HAVE avoided - that Obamacare mess. I could never stand hearing about it! The arguing, the anger, the blame. I couldn't believe anyone's bias opinion - I know my opinion doesn't matter - I know the vote I cast didn't affect the outcome of our government influence and so, I considered the entire issue above my head and out of my control. The government does lots of things I don't like - my role is to live with the consequences of it.

Obamacare is real and already at work. Why should I turn my nose up at an opportunity to cut my living expenses and be able to afford a better quality of life - or at least the SAME quality of life since the price of it all constantly rises? This affordable health care was designed for and available to people in my exact situation - my situation is not unique! Did Obamacare CAUSE my situation? Quite likely so.. at least the privately owned business that I work for does not appear to be going out of business BECAUSE of it. I should use what resources are available and consider myself lucky to HAVE those resources.

I'm hearing that taxpayers are not responsible to fund welfare!! Well, the government that our population elected has decided that you are responsible and your taxes WILL pay for it. Your government apparently decided your tax dollars will purchase abortions as well. Why are you mad at ME about it? Am I the one who elected the president? No, I am just the one watching what happens and considering what opportunities I have available to secure my uncertain future. The last thing I want to depend on is the government - I think the government will be the first to betray my trust. But should I loose my government sponsored health insurance - I think I would figure out something else. Perhaps by then, health insurance would be the least of my worries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many of the 10 commandments have you broken? (Feb '12) Apr 27 William 147
i want to be Christian.can i ? (May '15) Apr 24 Barnsweb 9
Why They Left: Listening to Those Who Have Left... (May '12) Apr '17 James A Farmer 45
the church of Christ insider discussion boards (Aug '10) Mar '17 Democrappy ... 12
dr.joel smithers (Sep '16) Feb '17 YEPP 4
Is there anything to do here??? Bored..... Jan '17 ATTheWizard85 1
Church of Christ rules and principles (Apr '13) Dec '16 Credal Drone 305

Martinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinsville Mortgages