Church of Christ Christmas

Posted in the Martinsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Dec 22, 2012
If you attend any of the coc denominations tomorrow, pay close attention and see if any of these things are mentioned in the sermon.

1. The word Christmas

2. The message concerning the promise of a Messiah/Jesus

3. The cross

4. The words peace and Good will toward men.

5 Listen for any Christmas songs.
New Guy

Morehead, KY

#2 Dec 22, 2012
Bobby wrote:
If you attend any of the coc denominations tomorrow, pay close attention and see if any of these things are mentioned in the sermon.
1. The word Christmas
3. The cross
1. Check.
2. Check.
3. Crucified Savior, risen Lord. Check.
4. That was last week.
5. Last week also, don't know about tomorrow.

This week's message is about "Herod's good advice". If only Herod had listened to his own advice!

Since: Dec 12

Royse City, TX

#3 Dec 23, 2012
New Guy wrote:
<quoted text>

This week's message is about "Herod's good advice". If only Herod had listened to his own advice!
Just recently I done some study on Herod Antipas as I find this a good way to study the Bible. The only thing is when you pick one biblical character it opens the doors up for many more to study. Good luck on your sermon - sounds like an interesting one.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#4 Dec 23, 2012
When we as Christians take the Christ out of Christmas we are doing exactly what the atheist and worldly people want. Surely no one can accurately say that Jesus rose on dec 25th but it is still a fine tradition. I think we should have the Christmas mindset every day of our lives-that Jesus died for our sins and rose on the third day, defeating the power of death hell and the grave.

Worldly people have successfully removed God and prayer from our schools but what they want is not freedom of religion but freedom from religion. If it were not for the big bucks being made on the holiday it would have to be practiced underground. Let us use it wisely while we still can to preach the magnificence of our savior.
New Guy

Lexington, KY

#5 Dec 25, 2012
Bobby wrote:
When we as Christians take the Christ out of Christmas we are doing exactly what the atheist and worldly people want. Surely no one can accurately say that Jesus rose on dec 25th but it is still a fine tradition. I think we should have the Christmas mindset every day of our lives-that Jesus died for our sins and rose on the third day, defeating the power of death hell and the grave.
Worldly people have successfully removed God and prayer from our schools but what they want is not freedom of religion but freedom from religion. If it were not for the big bucks being made on the holiday it would have to be practiced underground. Let us use it wisely while we still can to preach the magnificence of our savior.
Agree with your sentiments. Here's something I've been thinking of recently, after the school shooting. Lots of people are saying that God didn't protect those kids because "God and prayer aren't allowed in school anymore." I don't agree with that idea at all. If any of those children were praying during that horrible ordeal, do we really believe God refused to hear their prayer because the school systems and government don't allow "public" prayer? No one is stopping students, or teachers, from praying in school-they can't have a formal, assembled prayer. But there is no one who can keep us from praying, but ourselves. No one can keep a student from bringing their Bible to school- but they can keep them from preaching a sermon there.

As long as we as individuals have God in our lives, He can't be removed from schools and society. And for all those worried about prayer in school and public I ask-how is your private prayer life?

None of this is a personal attack at you Bobby. Just doing some thinking and soul searching lately. I think we as people miss the point sometimes. Merry Christmas to all!
New Guy

Lexington, KY

#6 Dec 25, 2012
_Randy_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Just recently I done some study on Herod Antipas as I find this a good way to study the Bible. The only thing is when you pick one biblical character it opens the doors up for many more to study. Good luck on your sermon - sounds like an interesting one.
Thanks. It went well. Just look at what Herod told the wise men-at face value, is it not good advice?

Go-meeting over-go find Him. Now is the time, today is the day of salvation.

Search diligently or accurately-make every effort, find the right one (in the right way).

Young child- of course today we're looking for the crucified Christ and risen Lord.

WHEN-don't give up on Him!

Bring me word also-go tell!

I may worship Him also-what we all must do.

That's the short version. If only he and all of mankind would take it seriously!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#7 Dec 27, 2012
Bobby wrote:

1. The word Christmas

3. The cross

Listen for a faith aloner to give you:

1. Where Jesus told us to remember His birth.

2. Where the NT records the church of Christ observed the birthday of Christ.

Col. 3:17

www.roysecitycoc.org

Location hidden

#8 Dec 27, 2012
Bobby wrote:

I had an atheist tell me that we are the most consistent with the Bible because we do not celebrate Xmas as the birthday if Christ.

He knew where that birthday myth came from.

www.roysecitycoc.org
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#9 Dec 27, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had an atheist tell me that we are the most consistent with the Bible because we do not celebrate Xmas as the birthday if Christ.
He knew where that birthday myth came from.
www.roysecitycoc.org
Are you saying that Jesus never had a birthday? You do know that would be blasphemy, don't you?

Royse City, TX

#10 Dec 27, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen for a faith aloner to give you:
1. Where Jesus told us to remember His birth.
2. Where the NT records the church of Christ observed the birthday of Christ.
Col. 3:17
www.roysecitycoc.org
Yeah, you are right Heath. What a terrible and sinful thing it would be to regard the birth of Jesus as something of importance. Shame on Bobby and others for observing such a day as something special. Shame on those Wise men too who thought it was something of importance. Didn't they know God will send them to hell for that. Sure, jesus wasn't born on the 25th but he was born and his birth was obviously something worth "remembrance." You guys sure go to great extremes at times. Sad....very sad when a preacher acts like its a sin to remember the birth of Jesus

Location hidden

#11 Dec 27, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying that Jesus never had a birthday? You do know that would be blasphemy, don't you?
You know what I mean.

Don't be stupid.

Prov. 12:1

www.roysecitycoc.org

Location hidden

#12 Dec 27, 2012
_Randy_ wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, you are right Heath. What a terrible and sinful thing it would be to regard the birth of Jesus as something of importance. Shame on Bobby and others for observing such a day as something special. Shame on those Wise men too who thought it was something of importance. Didn't they know God will send them to hell for that. Sure, jesus wasn't born on the 25th but he was born and his birth was obviously something worth "remembrance." You guys sure go to great extremes at times. Sad....very sad when a preacher acts like its a sin to remember the birth of Jesus
What other catholic holidays do you religiously observe?

Ash Wednesday perhaps?

The Assumption of Mary?

Or do you just pick and choose the ones that make you feeeeeel good?

www.roysecitycoc.org

Royse City, TX

#13 Dec 27, 2012
Heath, you do poorly at comprehension. I never stated I observe the 25th as Jesus' birthday, I said its nothing sinful about a remembrance of His birth.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#14 Dec 27, 2012
_Randy_ wrote:
Heath, you do poorly at comprehension. I never stated I observe the 25th as Jesus' birthday, I said its nothing sinful about a remembrance of His birth.
We in the bible churches do not pretend that Dec 25th is Jesus birthday, we just celebrate the season. I don't think anyone can identify the date of his birth but that should not be a roadblock to doing so. Personally I think his birth was somewhere in the fall months. I have forgotten the information that I gathered during my research on that because I do not consider it important.

Heath is quick to talk about the flood but I doubt he knows the date it happened, nor does it matter. What counts is that it is true and we should not be bashful to talk about it's importance. The important thing about the Christmas season is that we have the best opportunity to tell the story of the gospel which begins with the promise of a Savior born of a virgin, sent by God to redeem the lost! Why let the season go to waste like many in the coc do...

Location hidden

#15 Dec 27, 2012
_Randy_ wrote:
So how do you perform a remembrance?

www.roysecitycoc.org

Location hidden

#16 Dec 27, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>We in the bible churches do not pretend that Dec 25th is Jesus birthday, we just celebrate the season. I don't think anyone can identify the date of his birth but that should not be a roadblock to doing so. Personally I think his birth was somewhere in the fall months. I have forgotten the information that I gathered during my research on that because I do not consider it important.

Heath is quick to talk about the flood but I doubt he knows the date it happened, nor does it matter. What counts is that it is true and we should not be bashful to talk about it's importance. The important thing about the Christmas season is that we have the best opportunity to tell the story of the gospel which begins with the promise of a Savior born of a virgin, sent by God to redeem the lost! Why let the season go to waste like many in the coc do...
Ah, you just celebrate the season. lol

So pretend the whole season. ;)

www.roysecitycoc.org

Location hidden

#17 Dec 27, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>We in the bible churches do not pretend that Dec 25th is Jesus birthday, we just celebrate the season. I don't think anyone can identify the date of his birth but that should not be a roadblock to doing so. Personally I think his birth was somewhere in the fall months. I have forgotten the information that I gathered during my research on that because I do not consider it important.

"The important thing about the Christmas season is that we have the best opportunity to tell the story of the gospel which begins with the promise of a Savior born of a virgin, sent by God to redeem the lost! "

Yeah, you have to wait until it's in season to do so, right. lol

wow
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#18 Dec 27, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
"The important thing about the Christmas season is that we have the best opportunity to tell the story of the gospel which begins with the promise of a Savior born of a virgin, sent by God to redeem the lost! "
Yeah, you have to wait until it's in season to do so, right. lol
wow
Heath you really are not being very smart. Most churches have a lot of visitors during the Christmas season. It may be the first time some people have ever been in church, why would you want to miss that opportunity to tell them about a Savior who was born in a manger as a man and died on a cross to redeem us from our sin. If you don't do that then it may be that you just don't care to tell the story because your doctrine gets in the way of common sense!

Royse City, TX

#19 Dec 27, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
So how do you perform a remembrance?
www.roysecitycoc.org
"Perform" ... Again, you do not comprehend.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 27, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>Heath you really are not being very smart. Most churches have a lot of visitors during the Christmas season. It may be the first time some people have ever been in church, why would you want to miss that opportunity to tell them about a Savior who was born in a manger as a man and died on a cross to redeem us from our sin. If you don't do that then it may be that you just don't care to tell the story because your doctrine gets in the way of common sense!
Have you pledged allegiance to a new eldership yet?

Or is that seasonal for you as well?

www.roysecitycoc.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) Aug 22 mpetershat 3,369
Victory Baptist Church: The BIG cross (Apr '12) Aug 20 Mel 21
Christians Murder American Indians (Jan '12) Jun '16 Kevo8263 32
Sarah Smith nude ! (Jul '12) Jun '16 sarasmith 2
The Bible teaches that the Earth will never end (Apr '15) May '16 Anonymous 38
thomas jefferson edwards Apr '16 nuks67 2
Norm Fields – FORMER employee of Johnny Robertson (Feb '12) Apr '16 GunFighter 29

Martinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinsville Mortgages