Early Believers and Scripture
Dave P

Cleveland, GA

#305 Oct 26, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I can. You can too. And without the help of a priest, Church of Christ preacher, or Western Civ. professor.
Study, to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Interesting then that Paul never told Timothy that he needed to "shew himself approved" unto a Catholic priest or Baptist preacher, isn't it.
That passage simply means to handle the word accurately. It was from an apostle to an evangelist, not regular Joe sitting in the church pews. Why did Paul say that Jesus gave us apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers? To equip saints for ministry. Why then, do we say "The Bible and me", nothing else required? Perhaps the catholics have some valid points here. No such thing as lone ranger Christianity exists.
William

Goodwater, AL

#306 Oct 26, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
That passage simply means to handle the word accurately. It was from an apostle to an evangelist, not regular Joe sitting in the church pews. Why did Paul say that Jesus gave us apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers? To equip saints for ministry. Why then, do we say "The Bible and me", nothing else required? Perhaps the catholics have some valid points here. No such thing as lone ranger Christianity exists.
He told Timothy to study. He told Timothy to commit the things that he had heard from him to faithful men so that they could teach others also. And that means studying.

We are all going to be held accountable, as individuals, to God one day for what is written down in the Bible, how we have treated it, and the words that come out of our mouths about what we believe about it. Pick one version or another, but the accountability still remains. God is going to judge the Catholic and the protestant and the atheist and everyone in between the same way, and to the same standard, regarding the words in that book.

I am completely fine with that.
William

Goodwater, AL

#307 Oct 26, 2013
Romans 2:16

In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

If I had to pick the single most important verse in the entire Bible, it would be that one.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#308 Oct 26, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Remind us where the Bible mentions the Bible?
Job 19:23-24. "Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock forever!"
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#309 Oct 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Job 19:23-24. "Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock forever!"
Kyrie Eleison!!!!

You really, really think that means the Bible? Who taught you that?

Whoever taught you that did a word search for book just like Campbell picked out churches of Christ for his community.
Dave P

Cleveland, GA

#310 Oct 26, 2013
Mike- Remind us where the Bible mentions the Bible?

Susan- Job 19:23-24.

Dave- lowers and shakes his head.

*Again, one simple point. Jesus, the Bible, and me makes catholicism look sane compared to all of this stuff. This is why there's no more bashing from me. They actually make more sense.
Dave P

Cleveland, GA

#311 Oct 26, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
He told Timothy to study. He told Timothy to commit the things that he had heard from him to faithful men so that they could teach others also. And that means studying.
We are all going to be held accountable, as individuals, to God one day for what is written down in the Bible, how we have treated it, and the words that come out of our mouths about what we believe about it. Pick one version or another, but the accountability still remains. God is going to judge the Catholic and the protestant and the atheist and everyone in between the same way, and to the same standard, regarding the words in that book.
I am completely fine with that.
Agree.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#312 Oct 26, 2013
Dave P wrote:
*Again, one simple point. Jesus, the Bible, and me makes catholicism look sane compared to all of this stuff. This is why there's no more bashing from me. They actually make more sense.
Dave, you need to get your hands on a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and start reading at page one. The length is rather daunting but there are compendiums/abridged editions available and it is even on line.

http://old.usccb.org/catechism/text/

Location hidden

#313 Oct 26, 2013
Here is the updated link to the Catechism:

http://usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-w...
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#314 Oct 26, 2013
Dave P wrote:
Nobody has taught me anything. The bible will be fulfilled throughout the Messiahs' entire life. Here's a couple more for you. "Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me" Psalm 40:7. "...and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them" Psalm 139:16.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#315 Oct 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody has taught me anything
I appreciate your honesty.

Location hidden

#316 Oct 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody has taught me anything. The bible will be fulfilled throughout the Messiahs' entire life. Here's a couple more for you. "Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me" Psalm 40:7. "...and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them" Psalm 139:16.
It shows.
Dave P

Morehead, KY

#317 Oct 26, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody has taught me anything. The bible will be fulfilled throughout the Messiahs' entire life. Here's a couple more for you. "Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me" Psalm 40:7. "...and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them" Psalm 139:16.
The Job passage is not Messianic nor is it about Christ or the Bible. It is Job talking about his own words. Psalm 40 very well may be Messianic; Psalm 139 is not and isn't talking about the scriptures. You're mostly speaking out of context.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#318 Oct 26, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
The Job passage is not Messianic nor is it about Christ or the Bible. It is Job talking about his own words. Psalm 40 very well may be Messianic; Psalm 139 is not and isn't talking about the scriptures. You're mostly speaking out of context.
Job was speaking the word of God and it's actually a book of prophecy. Job 6:10. "...for I have not concealed the words of the Holy One". I take scripture at it's plain meaning. The trials of Job foreshadowed the Messiah's life in order to make him very strong. Job 40:19 "He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him". I'm sure of this because Job 16 is also about the "crucifixion". For the most part, I believe the book of Job is complete.

Location hidden

#319 Oct 27, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof texting can be quite amusing especially when the proof texter isn't very good at it.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#320 Oct 27, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I take scripture at it's plain meaning.
So you believe in the real presence in the Eucharist.

This is pretty plain.

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.
I am the bread of life.
Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died;z
this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die.
I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”a
The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying,“How can this man give us [his] flesh to eat?”
Jesus said to them,“Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats* my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.b
This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#321 Oct 27, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe in the real presence in the Eucharist.
This is pretty plain.
Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.
I am the bread of life.
Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died;z
this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die.
I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”a
The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying,“How can this man give us [his] flesh to eat?”
Jesus said to them,“Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats* my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.b
This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”
God does not approve of human sacrifice or cannibalism. Have you eaten Jesus' body? Your NT and the verses you gave state you have to eat him to be saved. At least that explains what happened to the body. The disciples stole it.
Dave P

Cleveland, GA

#322 Oct 27, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Job was speaking the word of God and it's actually a book of prophecy. Job 6:10. "...for I have not concealed the words of the Holy One". I take scripture at it's plain meaning. The trials of Job foreshadowed the Messiah's life in order to make him very strong. Job 40:19 "He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him". I'm sure of this because Job 16 is also about the "crucifixion". For the most part, I believe the book of Job is complete.
Your quote of 6:10 is again wrong. Not speaking of the Bible.
I think you should say typology instead of prophecy. No doubt some of Job's trials can be considered a shadow of Christ's sufferings. Typology is not "plain meaning".

Job 40:19 is talking about the behemoth, not Jesus Christ. READ.

I think Job is complete too. But it does help to read it in context, and not proof text.
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

#323 Oct 27, 2013
A man at work once tried to tell me Judges 9 described a democratic election. Instead, I found the "parable of the trees", about a conspiracy by Abimelech to become ruler of Israel.

When I objected, he said, "But you have to read it with SPIRITUAL EYES". I guess that's how most read their Bibles today- and how we get such crazy interpretations.

Location hidden

#324 Oct 27, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God does not approve of human sacrifice or cannibalism. Have you eaten Jesus' body? Your NT and the verses you gave state you have to eat him to be saved. At least that explains what happened to the body. The disciples stole it.
You are one dizzy female but then most are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians Murder American Indians (Jan '12) Tue William 34
Catholics (Feb '14) Aug 22 mpetershat 3,369
Victory Baptist Church: The BIG cross (Apr '12) Aug 20 Mel 21
Sarah Smith nude ! (Jul '12) Jun '16 sarasmith 2
The Bible teaches that the Earth will never end (Apr '15) May '16 Anonymous 38
thomas jefferson edwards Apr '16 nuks67 2
Norm Fields – FORMER employee of Johnny Robertson (Feb '12) Apr '16 GunFighter 29

Martinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinsville Mortgages