By the Circumcision of Christ

By the Circumcision of Christ

Posted in the Martinsville Forum

Brian

Axton, VA

#1 Sep 9, 2013
Paul says "by the circumcision of Christ having been buried with Him in baptism." Paul is saying that baptism is the circumcision of Christ, "through faith." Now why would this distinction be important to understand? Because in Romans 4:10 Paul states emphatically that Abraham was considered righteous by faith, BEFORE he was circumcised! He then goes on to say in verse 11, "...and he (Abraham) received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had before he was circumcised ..." In other words, Abraham was counted as righteous before he was circumcised, and the circumcision was simply a "seal", or an outward sign, of the righteousness that he already had! Which is exactly the case with the "circumcision of Christ" (water baptism). It is an outward sign, or seal, of the righteousness you already possess through faith in Christ Jesus.

In Joshua 5:2, we see that the first thing that the Israelites do after they entered the Promised Land was set up an altar and be circumcised. What a beautiful picture of baptism! First you get saved by faith (enter the Promised Land) then you get baptized (circumcised).

The point that the Church of Christ denomination seems to miss is that baptism is SYMBOLIC. They readily chastise the Catholic Church for believing in transubstantiation, yet when it comes to baptism, the Church of Christ denomination makes the same mistake as the Catholic church: taking something literally that was supposed to be symbolic. The Catholic church says that the bread and wine (during Communion) literally becomes the body and blood of Jesus. The Church of Christ denomination says that baptism actually remits your sins. They say that according to the book of Romans that you are literally buried with Christ through baptism. Noooo… baptism SYMBOLIZES Christ’s death. It SYMBOLIZES your death, burial and resurrection. You don’t come out of the water with dirt in your mouth from being buried, do you? Now, we realize that it can sometimes be hard to discern when something is to be taken literally as opposed to being a type or symbol. When it comes to baptism, though, there are simply too many Scriptures that give the plan of salvation...and leave the subject of baptism out altogether. If baptism was the actual point at which God washes away our sin and imputes to us the righteousness of Christ, why do so many members of the Church of Christ denomination fall away from the Lord? Why? Legalism kills! As with all issues of faith, the letter of the Law brings death, but the Spirit brings life!(II Corinthians 3:6)
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#2 Sep 9, 2013
Brian wrote:
Paul says "by the circumcision of Christ having been buried with Him in baptism." Paul is saying that baptism is the circumcision of Christ, "through faith." Now why would this distinction be important to understand? Because in Romans 4:10 Paul states emphatically that Abraham was considered righteous by faith, BEFORE he was circumcised! He then goes on to say in verse 11, "...and he (Abraham) received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had before he was circumcised ..." In other words, Abraham was counted as righteous before he was circumcised, and the circumcision was simply a "seal", or an outward sign, of the righteousness that he already had! Which is exactly the case with the "circumcision of Christ" (water baptism). It is an outward sign, or seal, of the righteousness you already possess through faith in Christ Jesus.
In Joshua 5:2, we see that the first thing that the Israelites do after they entered the Promised Land was set up an altar and be circumcised. What a beautiful picture of baptism! First you get saved by faith (enter the Promised Land) then you get baptized (circumcised).
The point that the Church of Christ denomination seems to miss is that baptism is SYMBOLIC. They readily chastise the Catholic Church for believing in transubstantiation, yet when it comes to baptism, the Church of Christ denomination makes the same mistake as the Catholic church: taking something literally that was supposed to be symbolic. The Catholic church says that the bread and wine (during Communion) literally becomes the body and blood of Jesus. The Church of Christ denomination says that baptism actually remits your sins. They say that according to the book of Romans that you are literally buried with Christ through baptism. Noooo… baptism SYMBOLIZES Christ’s death. It SYMBOLIZES your death, burial and resurrection. You don’t come out of the water with dirt in your mouth from being buried, do you? Now, we realize that it can sometimes be hard to discern when something is to be taken literally as opposed to being a type or symbol. When it comes to baptism, though, there are simply too many Scriptures that give the plan of salvation...and leave the subject of baptism out altogether. If baptism was the actual point at which God washes away our sin and imputes to us the righteousness of Christ, why do so many members of the Church of Christ denomination fall away from the Lord? Why? Legalism kills! As with all issues of faith, the letter of the Law brings death, but the Spirit brings life!(II Corinthians 3:6)
Baptism now saves you. 1st Peter
Brian

Axton, VA

#4 Sep 9, 2013
Why are you throwing the Bible at me, you can’t do that – you’re a Catholic. Well, I guess you can if your Pope told you what it means
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#5 Sep 9, 2013
Brian, all this has been covered many times. The coc is mainly silent here.
Brian

Axton, VA

#6 Sep 9, 2013
I thought this was mostly a discussion about the Church of Christ. Johnny gave a plug for this site on his Television show saying Topix has discussion about him. I debated Johnny, he knows who I am.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#7 Sep 9, 2013
Brian wrote:
Why are you throwing the Bible at me, you can’t do that – you’re a Catholic. Well, I guess you can if your Pope told you what it means
The Church wrote the scriptures, decided the canon and has protected it for 2000 years.

We read more scripture in one month at Mass than you do in whatever non-Catholic ecclesial community you go to in a year.
Brian

Axton, VA

#8 Sep 9, 2013
Straight from the Pharisee handbook. “I” this, “we” that.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#9 Sep 9, 2013
Brian wrote:
I thought this was mostly a discussion about the Church of Christ. Johnny gave a plug for this site on his Television show saying Topix has discussion about him. I debated Johnny, he knows who I am.
Better check older threads. Johnny hasn't been on here in a while. Rarely even talked about anymore. Basically him and his crew have been beaten. Now we have more catholic or judaism speak.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#10 Sep 9, 2013
Brian wrote:
Straight from the Pharisee handbook.“I” this,“we” that.
The confusion between politics and religion. This is America, a democracy. Nobody is is going tell to Brian what to believe.

Protestantism is all about I. The HS told me this and that.

Hey Brian, it is a Kingdom, not a democracy.

Whoever hears the Church , hears Jesus.
Brian

Axton, VA

#11 Sep 9, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
The confusion between politics and religion. This is America, a democracy. Nobody is is going tell to Brian what to believe.
Protestantism is all about I. The HS told me this and that.
Hey Brian, it is a Kingdom, not a democracy.
Whoever hears the Church , hears Jesus.
Is the Bible true or false. If true, then you should stop ranting, Peterson.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#12 Sep 9, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the Bible true or false. If true, then you should stop ranting, Peterson.
It is only true because the Council of Rome in AD 382 said it is.

You trust the Church when it picked out what scriptures belong in the Bible but you ignore everything else? Why?

There is no Catholic teaching that contradicts anything in the Bible.

You might not agree with it with it because of your personal interpretation but in the big scheme of things, who cares if you don't. What you believe is made up by you.

What does the sign say if front of the building where you go on Sundays?

Brian's Ministries? If it is that could be 40,0002.
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#13 Sep 9, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Baptism now saves you. 1st Peter
Thanks for proving a point by one of the Twelve:-) The teachings of Paul are useless in comparison.
Brian

Axton, VA

#14 Sep 9, 2013
Peterson, didn’t the Catholic Church sign off on Paul? You all are really all over the place on here. Barney culling out Paul and the book of Hebrews just has me floored.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#15 Sep 9, 2013
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving a point by one of the Twelve:-) The teachings of Paul are useless in comparison.
The Bible does not contradict. It can't. It is the inspired and inerrant word of God.

The Bible is That / And.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dr.joel smithers (Sep '16) Sep '17 Lurliec 5
Jessica Griffith Star News Personality Arrested... (Jul '11) Jul '17 Jay Kendricks 9
Why They Left: Listening to Those Who Have Left... (May '12) Jul '17 Barmsweb 48
How many of the 10 commandments have you broken? (Feb '12) Jul '17 Barmsweb 151
Johnny Robertson, when were you baptized? (Apr '15) Jun '17 Sig Fife 20
Looking Jun '17 Captain Hotdog 1
i want to be Christian.can i ? (May '15) Jun '17 Captain Hotdog 10

Martinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinsville Mortgages