All Scripture is God-breathed

All Scripture is God-breathed

Posted in the Martinsville Forum

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#1 Aug 28, 2013
II Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for instruction, for training in righteousness, in order that the man of God might be complete, fully equipped for every good work."

The Roman Catholic says Paul is talking here only of the Old Testament. Paul's point is, if it is Scripture at all, it is God-breathed. All Scripture then, including the New Testament, is God-breathed.

Paul says Scripture is God-breathed, thus it is profitable for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, can be undertaken due to the nature of Scripture as God-breathed.

Paul's point:

God didn’t leave us without His voice. Despite Roman Catholic claims to the contrary, from Scripture itself, it is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for instruction, for training in righteousness, in order that the man of God might be COMPLETE, FULLY EQUIPPED for every good work.

Thus, I assert that sola scriptura is taught in the Bible. Paul states plainly that Scripture can be used to make one COMPLETE and FULLY EQUIPPED. Sorry, but that means we do NOT need any Popes or know-it-all Catholic Apologists.

Matthew 15: "Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked,'Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat.' Jesus replied,'And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, "Honor your father and mother" and "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death." But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, "Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God," he is not to "honor his father" with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.'

Hmm - nullify the word of God for the sake of tradition. Jesus is clearly elevating Scripture over tradition thus one can conclude that Scripture is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for instruction, for training in righteousness, in order that the man of God might be COMPLETE, FULLY EQUIPPED for every good work.

Papal Infallibility, The Immaculate Conception, the Bodily Assumption of Mary...must contain some different data that is being passed on, rather than what's in Scripture. There's the problem, Mark. You guys have yet to show in Scripture the doctrines you promote.

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

#2 Aug 28, 2013
Or....
It was written by iron age goat herders.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#3 Aug 28, 2013
JesusCreed wrote:
II Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for instruction, for training in righteousness, in order that the man of God might be complete, fully equipped for every good work."
The Roman Catholic says Paul is talking here only of the Old Testament. Paul's point is, if it is Scripture at all, it is God-breathed. All Scripture then, including the New Testament, is God-breathed.
Paul says Scripture is God-breathed, thus it is profitable for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, can be undertaken due to the nature of Scripture as God-breathed.
Paul's point:
God didn’t leave us without His voice. Despite Roman Catholic claims to the contrary, from Scripture itself, it is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for instruction, for training in righteousness, in order that the man of God might be COMPLETE, FULLY EQUIPPED for every good work.
Thus, I assert that sola scriptura is taught in the Bible. Paul states plainly that Scripture can be used to make one COMPLETE and FULLY EQUIPPED. Sorry, but that means we do NOT need any Popes or know-it-all Catholic Apologists.
Matthew 15: "Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked,'Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat.' Jesus replied,'And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, "Honor your father and mother" and "Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death." But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, "Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God," he is not to "honor his father" with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.'
Hmm - nullify the word of God for the sake of tradition. Jesus is clearly elevating Scripture over tradition thus one can conclude that Scripture is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for instruction, for training in righteousness, in order that the man of God might be COMPLETE, FULLY EQUIPPED for every good work.
Papal Infallibility, The Immaculate Conception, the Bodily Assumption of Mary...must contain some different data that is being passed on, rather than what's in Scripture. There's the problem, Mark. You guys have yet to show in Scripture the doctrines you promote.
What do the other 39,999 prot denominations think about your personal interpretation? I'll bet more than a couple would disagree vehemently with you. I've realized your predicament. You believe the Church was frozen in time when the last period was placed after the last word in the Apocalypse and that the solution for every future eventuality can be found in the Bible. This is demonstrably not true. We were given only the barest outline for Church organization and then only on a local basis...with not a word about how to manage a world wide universal Church with billions of members and competing theologies. We have various liturgical events described but only in the most minimal way. We were left hundreds of writings but with no way to determine provenance and authority. There is no doubt in my mind the Bishops of the Church were given the authority by Jesus Christ Himself to make these organizational decisions, to develop public and private liturgies, to finalize the list of books in the Bible and they did so infallibly. They made no errors. Unknowingly perhaps, you accept many of their infallible decisions.
Catfish

Charles City, VA

#4 Aug 28, 2013
I'm laughing so hard at y'all cats. Mark you is a know it all and creed think he know it all but really y'all all fools in the same pile if do do
killedjoe

White Plains, NY

#5 Aug 28, 2013
FDG wrote:
Or....
It was written by iron age goat herders.
You say have facts will travel. Just to let you know you are denying what the facts are. Read the science fact of the 10 plagues. Read the fact of the destruction of Sodom and Gormmaha. Read the science fact of what the bible says, you just might get down on your kneel and thank that you learn the facts.. Why were there 10 plague in Egypt. Can anybody else answer this also.

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

#6 Aug 28, 2013
killedjoe wrote:
<quoted text> You say have facts will travel. Just to let you know you are denying what the facts are. Read the science fact of the 10 plagues. Read the fact of the destruction of Sodom and Gormmaha. Read the science fact of what the bible says, you just might get down on your kneel and thank that you learn the facts.. Why were there 10 plague in Egypt. Can anybody else answer this also.
I believe you to be denying what is (or was) actually factual. I'm not saying that there are absolutely no facts in your Bible, but there are MANY things that are contradictory and simply not true as well. Some of that just comes from the minds of people who wrote it. They didn't have an understanding of the world like we do today so it was natural that some information would be incorrect.
Mike Peterson

United States

#7 Aug 28, 2013

For instruction and training by the Church. Also Note the importance of works.

No where does it say "only scriptures" and that scriptures do their own teaching

Who do think should do the training and instruction for scriptures?

I know. You.
Mike Peterson

United States

#8 Aug 29, 2013
Catfish wrote:
I'm laughing so hard at y'all cats. Mark you is a know it all and creed think he know it all but really y'all all fools in the same pile if do do
You sound kind of 'fishy'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians Murder American Indians (Jan '12) Jun 18 Kevo8263 32
Catholics (Feb '14) Jun 17 mpetershat 3,338
Sarah Smith nude ! (Jul '12) Jun 13 sarasmith 2
The Bible teaches that the Earth will never end (Apr '15) May '16 Anonymous 38
thomas jefferson edwards Apr '16 nuks67 2
Norm Fields – FORMER employee of Johnny Robertson (Feb '12) Apr '16 GunFighter 29
Stop erasing my comments! Apr '16 Truth teller 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinsville Mortgages