Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#144 Jul 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a scholar this Rich Tisan. I immediately noticed there are no footnotes and the first listing in the bibliography is multi-divorced and remarried Hal Lindsey who is as phony as they come. Since you seem to be a professional Catholic basher I'm sure you have heard of "Thirty Years in Hell from Darkness to Light" by Ex-Priest Bernard Fresenborg. I have a 1904 first edition copy of this book in excellent condition which I am offering for a mere $100,000.00 donation to His Holiness Francis I. It's a must have for every Catholic bashers library.
Another odd thing I noticed is that in a book purporting to present the history of the early church, the Church of Christ is only mentioned a couple times and then as a direct reference to the Catholic Church. And I can assure you Eamon Duffy would be appalled that his name appears in the bibliography.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#145 Jul 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite a scholar this Rich Tisan. I immediately noticed there are no footnotes and the first listing in the bibliography is multi-divorced and remarried Hal Lindsey who is as phony as they come. Since you seem to be a professional Catholic basher I'm sure you have heard of "Thirty Years in Hell from Darkness to Light" by Ex-Priest Bernard Fresenborg. I have a 1904 first edition copy of this book in excellent condition which I am offering for a mere $100,000.00 donation to His Holiness Francis I. It's a must have for every Catholic bashers library.
Nope. No idea who this guy is. We never talked about catholic doctrine here until Mike and yourself came on. Haven't been given any reasons not to bash the doctrine though...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#146 Jul 8, 2013
And the Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, etc have heartburn over my other e-book:
www.scribd.com/doc/149384308 ...

Location hidden

#147 Jul 8, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. No idea who this guy is. We never talked about catholic doctrine here until Mike and yourself came on. Haven't been given any reasons not to bash the doctrine though...
Are you then an equal opportunity basher? Episcopalians? Presbyterians? Methodists? Lutherans? Baptists? Pentecostals? I noticed this book mentioned baptism by immersion several times which is available to any Catholic. I also noticed Martin Luther mentioned as well but nothing about his leaving intact infant baptism and "sprinkling" and belief in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. I guess you were just happy with the Catholic bashing parts.

Location hidden

#148 Jul 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you then an equal opportunity basher? Episcopalians? Presbyterians? Methodists? Lutherans? Baptists? Pentecostals? I noticed this book mentioned baptism by immersion several times which is available to any Catholic. I also noticed Martin Luther mentioned as well but nothing about his leaving intact infant baptism and "sprinkling" and belief in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. I guess you were just happy with the Catholic bashing parts.
This all you need to concern yourself with:
www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...
"He that hath an ear, let him hear..."
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#149 Jul 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. If they disagree with the Bible I've said something about it at one point or another here. You catholics were the last ones to the party. In my local area, the mainline denoms (high end prots) like Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Anglicans do not exist, or are in VERY LIMITED numbers. One large catholic church, 3 small ones.

Perhaps you and Mike miss that many of us aren't really "Prots" either. I think high end and low end prot is a misnomer. I would say that what you call "low end prots" are probably better characterized as something else.

*Pentecostal movement been discussed several times here.

Location hidden

#150 Jul 8, 2013
This article is a real hair puller!!!

www.scribd.com/doc/152453059 ...

I say it is a real eye opener.

Location hidden

#151 Jul 8, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. If they disagree with the Bible I've said something about it at one point or another here. You catholics were the last ones to the party. In my local area, the mainline denoms (high end prots) like Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and Anglicans do not exist, or are in VERY LIMITED numbers. One large catholic church, 3 small ones.
Perhaps you and Mike miss that many of us aren't really "Prots" either. I think high end and low end prot is a misnomer. I would say that what you call "low end prots" are probably better characterized as something else.
So if I understand you correctly you are asserting that you and yours, out of nearly 40,000 protestant denominations along with the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Church, are in sole possession of the Truth and alone have the ability to correctly interpret Scripture. FYI the phrases "low church" and "high church" are commonly used by and originated with protestants. The terms were once derogatory but no longer. The terms "low end protestant" and "high end protestant" may be my own creation but I cannot say for sure. I use these terms in the sense of the retail market and fully intend them to be derogatory in nature.
William

Birmingham, AL

#152 Jul 8, 2013
I think we'll coin the phrases "front-end Catholic" and "rear-end Catholic" so that we can distinguish the hierarchy of that church.

You can each then assign whatever actual meaning to these phrases that you see fit. Chances are, you will be correct in one position or another.

Location hidden

#153 Jul 8, 2013
Truthsayer777 wrote:
<quoted text>This all you need to concern yourself with:
www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...
"He that hath an ear, let him hear..."
"God ejected his prize angel, Lucifer, out of Heaven along with one-third of the other angels, who followed his lead in a failed attempt to take over Heaven."

Utterly, totally false. You just made this up! Lucifer, Roman name of the planet Venus, here is the king of Babylon. The word lucifer, light-bearer, morning star appears elsewhere in Scripture referring to Christ. Lucifer appears in the ancient Easter Proclamation also meaning Christ. Use of the word lucifer as a name for Satan is literary fiction (Dante and Milton) with no basis whatsoever in the Bible.

Location hidden

#154 Jul 8, 2013
William wrote:
I think we'll coin the phrases "front-end Catholic" and "rear-end Catholic" so that we can distinguish the hierarchy of that church.
You can each then assign whatever actual meaning to these phrases that you see fit. Chances are, you will be correct in one position or another.
So says the president of the Tony Alamo fan club
Mike Peterson

Atlanta, GA

#155 Jul 8, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
If you go to Church where there is nothing on the walls but paint. The center of stage has a pulpit only with a preacher , maybe a set up drums, and you sing 2 songs and the preacher man talks for 45 minutes, you are low Church.

I grew up in a very low church. Baptist. Only thing on the wall was how much the collection was last week.

Location hidden

#156 Jul 8, 2013
Truthsayer777 wrote:
And the Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, etc have heartburn over my other e-book:
www.scribd.com/doc/149384308 ...
I seriously doubt a single person in those denominations has ever heard of you much less care what you think.

Location hidden

#157 Jul 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt a single person in those denominations has ever heard of you much less care what you think.
I only care what God thinks of me. The truths are presented and it is up to each individual to act upon or disregard them.
Mike Peterson

United States

#158 Jul 8, 2013
Truthsayer777 wrote:
<quoted text> The truths are presented and it is up to each individual to act upon or disregard them.
It is my opinion that the people have The Right to interpret the Constitution of the US anyway they seem fit. After all we are all citizens of this country and taxpayers.

Don't you agree?

Location hidden

#159 Jul 8, 2013
Truthsayer777 wrote:
<quoted text>I only care what God thinks of me. The truths are presented and it is up to each individual to act upon or disregard them.
The truths? You are merely a propagandist without footnotes.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

#160 Jul 8, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I understand you correctly you are asserting that you and yours, out of nearly 40,000 protestant denominations along with the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Church, are in sole possession of the Truth and alone have the ability to correctly interpret Scripture.
No. What I am saying is this- here's how I would classify most of what we call "Christianity":

Roman Catholic/Orthodox
Protestant- Lutheran, Episcopalian, Anglican, Presbyterian, etc.
American Awakening movements- Baptist, COC, Christian churches, SDA, LDS, non denom churches, JW, etc.
Pentecostal

From what I can see the "prot" churches are close to catholicism in style and practice. What you generally call "low end prots" aren't prot at all because the theology is very different.

Pentecostal is self explanatory; their theology is more like those awakening groups. Most of the posters here find themselves from the baptist/coc/icc/non denom background.

Everyone here has the truth at their fingertips and the ability to understand and interpret the truth. Does my group have 100% truth? No. I'm coc. Come on man! I do not believe any group has the "fullness of the truth"; I don't believe any group is the one true church. The one true church is the one Jesus started on Pentecost. It isn't RCC or COC or SBC or SDA or any other. It's made up of all individuals who believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and respond to that belief.
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#161 Jul 9, 2013
Truthsayer777 wrote:
This article is a real hair puller!!!
www.scribd.com/doc/152453059 ...
I say it is a real eye opener.
Since the beginning of time it has either been 'works' or 'grace'?

Hardly so my friend. This is the lie of Paul, not Nimrod. It was waiting upon God and doing what He said, or it was taking things into their own hands and offering the fruits of their bodies for the sins of their souls. It was denying what God said to do and turning to do what they thought instead.

It isn't any different today. People do what they think to do, rather than doing what Jesus said to do - to abide in His words, to do the very will of God - the works the really please God. We are to live life so that we have the right to enter into the City of God...at least that is what Revelations says at the end... and the right was because of their works -
Mike Peterson

United States

#162 Jul 9, 2013
Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
No. What I am saying is this- here's how I would classify most of what we call "Christianity":
Roman Catholic/Orthodox
Protestant- Lutheran, Episcopalian, Anglican, Presbyterian, etc.
American Awakening movements- Baptist, COC, Christian churches, SDA, LDS, non denom churches, JW, etc.
Pentecostal
From what I can see the "prot" churches are close to catholicism in style and practice. What you generally call "low end prots" aren't prot at all because the theology is very different.
Pentecostal is self explanatory; their theology is more like those awakening groups. Most of the posters here find themselves from the baptist/coc/icc/non denom background.
Everyone here has the truth at their fingertips and the ability to understand and interpret the truth. Does my group have 100% truth? No. I'm coc. Come on man! I do not believe any group has the "fullness of the truth"; I don't believe any group is the one true church. The one true church is the one Jesus started on Pentecost. It isn't RCC or COC or SBC or SDA or any other. It's made up of all individuals who believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and respond to that belief.
One Church for 1520 years. It had to have the fullness of the Truth, because Jesus started it. He had to have , it was the only one.

Then in 1520 the Protesters came. Immmediatley they divided up the truth each taking part of the Truth and keeping some like the veneration of Mary and infant baptism.

Then more splits each taking their slice with their point of view and now 350 years later the truth is so split up it is stupid.

It's like the game when somebody starts a message and whispers to the next person until 20 people later the message is nothing like the one in the beginning.

That is what Protestantism has done but they use Sola Scriptura as the whisper.
Barnsweb

Canton, OH

#163 Jul 9, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
One Church for 1520 years. It had to have the fullness of the Truth, because Jesus started it. He had to have , it was the only one.
Then in 1520 the Protesters came. Immmediatley they divided up the truth each taking part of the Truth and keeping some like the veneration of Mary and infant baptism.
Then more splits each taking their slice with their point of view and now 350 years later the truth is so split up it is stupid.
It's like the game when somebody starts a message and whispers to the next person until 20 people later the message is nothing like the one in the beginning.
That is what Protestantism has done but they use Sola Scriptura as the whisper.
A lot of truth there, but proving someone else wrong doesn't prove you are right - it hasn't worked for Satan yet anyway;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) 2 hr William 1,920
Hard Passages: Matt. 19:9 Wed William 2
Hard Passages: Acts 2:38 Tue Ernie 221
5 Acts of Worship: The error of The Church of C... (Sep '11) Tue gospel-preacher j... 270
Catholic deception Nov 24 vannietrap 312
Hard Passages: Hebrews 6:4-6 Nov 21 Eyeseaewe 171
Church of Christ - Rug of Hypocrisy (May '13) Nov 20 anonymous 32
Martinsville Dating
Find my Match

Martinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Martinsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Martinsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News