Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Tobit was thrown out by Fr. Martin Luther but you low end prots wouldn't be caught dead in a Lutheran church. By the way he did not throw out infant baptism and "sprinkling" along with Tobit.
William

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike, listen to me ... TOBIT 2:14 DOES NOT FORETELL ANYTHING, as you tried to pass off earlier.

This is why Catholics get abused for making up things as they go along. You just did, right here.

Again.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

William wrote:
Mike, listen to me ... TOBIT 2:14 DOES NOT FORETELL ANYTHING, as you tried to pass off earlier.
This is why Catholics get abused for making up things as they go along. You just did, right here.
Again.
William, listen to me. You are an idiot. You claimed something was in Matthew 29. There is no Matthew 29. Mike, jokingly claimed something was in Tobit. He knew full well there wasn't but you would have to search out and find a book not in YOUR Bible. Here is 2:14 in Latin...maybe the secret code is here! sed immobilis in Dei timore permansit, agens gratias Deo omnibus diebus vitŠ suŠ. Try reading it backwards while standing in front of a mirror...works everytime.
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

William wrote:
Again.
I was just responded to your lie about abut Matthew 29. At least Tobit 2:14 exists but not in your Bible.

You Protestants get abused by making up things as you go mainly by other Protestants.
William

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Tobit has exactly as much scriptual relevance as does Matthew 29 or Romans 17, especially to your historic brand of poorly-faked Judaism.

Everyone is wise to the gag now. Most everyone, that is.
William

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Mark is name-calling now, which implies that his education has failed him.

Catholic JUCO or Notre Dame sidewalk alumni? Both, probably.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

William wrote:
I always tell the truth. You are a demonstrable idiot. Have you tried the mirror trick yet?
Dave P

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Flair country. Wooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
Dave P

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

William wrote:
He actually said VCU. Hoops player from my school went to VCU. His dad played at Vandy. He was probably a low end prot too going to a scrub school like Vandy. Lol.
Dave P

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Those books aren't inspired, this we reject them and do not read them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Dave P wrote:
Who told you those books are not inspired? Even the original KJV included them.
Dave P

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

http://www.bible.ca/catholic-apocrypha.htm

The writer of Maccabees seems to reject himself any idea of his own inspiration. Antiochus Epiphanaes was quoted as dying in three different ways. Magical enchantments. No prophet in Israel during the silent years. Jews didn't consider it scripture. Josephus didn't consider it scripture. Jerome didn't consider it scripture. Reading it, it's not scripture, because it contradicts the Bible.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Had an interesting morning. We hired a new worship/song leader last year.

This morning he revealed something I did not know. He said he is a former church of Christ. He went on to say we were going to sing some songs from that are typical coc songs except that we would be using instruments. One song was "I'll fly away". I believe today was the first time I ever sang that song with instrumental accompaniment-it sounded great!

Who would have ever thought that a coc song leader would ever become a worship leader using instruments!
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Bobby wrote:
Had an interesting morning. We hired a new worship/song leader last year.
This morning he revealed something I did not know. He said he is a former church of Christ. He went on to say we were going to sing some songs from that are typical coc songs except that we would be using instruments. One song was "I'll fly away". I believe today was the first time I ever sang that song with instrumental accompaniment-it sounded great!
Who would have ever thought that a coc song leader would ever become a worship leader using instruments!
Cool. I'll fly away is a great song.

On a related note, the little congregation I'm in is really picking up steam on the grace front. Sometimes I truly wonder if only the leadership in most coc is drinking the Kool-Aid. We were looking at John 2, I read the first 11 verses and I asked them a simple question- did Jesus turn water into wine or grape juice?

Not one person said grape juice. I was shocked at this, because even in my upbringing the whole "wine really means grape juice" thing was hammered home a lot. We discussed this for about two or three minutes, then talked about what John 2 really meant.

At the end, one old man asked a question about wine or juice being used in the Lord's Supper. Again, unanimously, the crowd agreed that wine would be acceptable to use. I'm the one late to the party at that congregation.

I wonder how many at the hardline coc really believe all they are being taught, and if they just let some of the legalistic stuff go in one ear and out the other.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Dave P wrote:
They are inspired the same reason Jude is inspired. The Church started by Jesus said it was.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
On a related note, the little congregation I'm in is really picking up steam on the grace front. Sometimes I truly wonder if only the leadership in most coc is drinking the Kool-Aid. We were looking at John 2, I read the first 11 verses and I asked them a simple question- did Jesus turn water into wine or grape juice?
Not one person said grape juice. I was shocked at this, because even in my upbringing the whole "wine really means grape juice" thing was hammered home a lot. We discussed this for about two or three minutes, then talked about what John 2 really meant.
At the end, one old man asked a question about wine or juice being used in the Lord's Supper. Again, unanimously, the crowd agreed that wine would be acceptable to use. I'm the one late to the party at that congregation.
I wonder how many at the hardline coc really believe all they are being taught, and if they just let some of the legalistic stuff go in one ear and out the other.
Is is not just you, I have argued right here on these threads about the first supper- saying that it was most likely wine they drank. The problem the old folks had in my day was more about communion than anything else. Some one cup coc used wine way back then. Coc needed to stay as close as possible to the doctrine of ceni which as you know has many pitfalls.

As a group of young men back 35 years ago we would talk about how we could never see change until the older generation died off. We are about there now. I do worry that the younger crowd will eventually get closer to the world on issues like gay marriage. So, that idea can cut both ways. Now my worry is that the government mandated school system has stolen our heritage and thus the minds of our children.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'll Fly Away" was actually written by a CofC person, Albert Brumley. But then he also wrote "Turn Your Radio On."

I will never forget a CofC Sunday School teacher telling us that the wine in the Bible was just not the same kind of wine we have now. He was of course correct. Theirs came in amphorae and goatskins. Ours comes in glass with corks or screw tops and even in boxes.
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Is is not just you, I have argued right here on these threads about the first supper- saying that it was most likely wine they drank. The problem the old folks had in my day was more about communion than anything else. Some one cup coc used wine way back then. Coc needed to stay as close as possible to the doctrine of ceni which as you know has many pitfalls.
As a group of young men back 35 years ago we would talk about how we could never see change until the older generation died off. We are about there now. I do worry that the younger crowd will eventually get closer to the world on issues like gay marriage. So, that idea can cut both ways. Now my worry is that the government mandated school system has stolen our heritage and thus the minds of our children.
I do think the times of change for the coc are here. Most of my congregation is about your age, and appear to have the same mindset. The old hardliners are gone here. The fear I have now for my brethren is that here they have never gotten past baptism and the Lords Supper. Not very accepting of others either. Meanwhile, nothing else of necessity is preached. The world is leaving us behind, and coc/cc here are stuck in 1985. In Texas and Martinsville they may be stuck in 1955.

Converting people to doctrines isn't the same as converting them to Christ.
Dave P

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'll Fly Away" was actually written by a CofC person, Albert Brumley. But then he also wrote "Turn Your Radio On."
I will never forget a CofC Sunday School teacher telling us that the wine in the Bible was just not the same kind of wine we have now. He was of course correct. Theirs came in amphorae and goatskins. Ours comes in glass with corks or screw tops and even in boxes.
He was probably speaking of Boone's Strawberry Hill wine that costs about $3 down at the liquor store. Or Wild Irish Rose. Dad told my brother that only winos drink that rotgut stuff.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

Dave P wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think the times of change for the coc are here. Most of my congregation is about your age, and appear to have the same mindset. The old hardliners are gone here. The fear I have now for my brethren is that here they have never gotten past baptism and the Lords Supper. Not very accepting of others either. Meanwhile, nothing else of necessity is preached. The world is leaving us behind, and coc/cc here are stuck in 1985. In Texas and Martinsville they may be stuck in 1955.
Converting people to doctrines isn't the same as converting them to Christ.
It is the gospel of grace that the coc needs more than anything else. Grace that God gives us is what we need to receive and thus give to others. If we can get people to believe in and trust Christ for our salvation, then getting them to the baptistry is easy. We had 14 baptisms this morning and I just got back from our home group where another is seeking baptism.

I am so impressed with our our group, everyone of us has a ministry, we are a very works oriented group- not in order to keep our salvation but rather to help grow the kingdom.

Today we talked about how many lonely people there are and how we might come along side someone to encourage them-people need people. It's a hard life without Christ but it is also a hard life for christians without friends and family.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Martinsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Martinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••