Johnny Robertson's false teaching on rebaptism

Posted in the Martinsville Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Army of God

Martinsville, VA

#1 Sep 10, 2009
In proclaiming Jesusí promise that "he who believes and is baptized will be saved," we have also used the emphatic statement of Peter on Pentecost, "Repent, and be baptized every of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins" (Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38). Although most all Christian groups practice baptism as an act of obedience to Christ, they generally teach that believing is the only necessary action of obedience in order to receive forgiveness. So they think they are saved before obedience in baptism. Since those persons are not baptized purposely "for the forgiveness of your sins," Johnny and others contend that those persons should be rebaptized specifically for that purpose.

JR, is "for the remission of your sins" a part of the command or a part of the promise? If it is a part of the command, then one is required to understand that purpose and to be immersed specifically for that purpose. If it is a part of the promise, then it is fulfilled by God to the one obeying his command to be immersed whether that person understands fully or not.

If, in order for baptism to be valid, one must understand its purpose, let us look at the stated purposes. In Peterís declaration on Pentecost, he first called for convicting faith. Then he called for them to repent and be baptized in order for their sins to be forgiven. Can anyone deny that both faith and repentance, in addition to immersion, are necessary for the remission of sins? Faith, repentance, and baptism are (1) for the forgiveness of sins and (2) to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Shortly after Pentecost, Peter delivered a similar discourse at Solomonís Porch. Even though baptism is not mentioned specifically, he called for faith and, "Repent therefore, and turn again,(3) that your sins may be blotted out,(4) that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and (5) that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, whom heaven must receive until the time for establishing all that God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets from of old" (Acts 3:11-22. Numbering added). If a candidate for baptism must understand these five stated purposes and have them in mind for his baptism to be valid, woe is me! I am a goner, a dead duck and so is Johnny Robertson. What about you, Johnny? Were you baptized purposely in order to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? Why make an issue of one promise and not the other? In the one account of rebaptism in the Scriptures, converts of Apollos were asked by Paul, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" We are not told of any inquiry into the understood purpose of their prior baptisms (Acts 19:1-9).
Chad

Martinsville, VA

#2 Sep 10, 2009
Judean disciples in the Jerusalem church were convinced that circumcision, in addition to obedience in baptism, was necessary to be saved, yet no question is raised about the validity of their baptisms (Acts 15). Why doesnít Johnny tell this? They have a good habit of showing part of scriptures --- the ones that supposedly fit their theology, while hiding other scriptures.
Bill

Martinsville, VA

#3 Sep 10, 2009
Cornelius was a devout, God-fearing Gentile (Acts 10). After God convinced the Jews that he was receiving Gentiles by the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on Cornelius and his household, Peter commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
No mention is made of "for the remission of sins," for that was not the emphatic issue with them so much as their being initiated into life in Christ.
In his Great Commission, Jesus had authorized baptism in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. When they baptized in the name of Christ, they were baptizing as Jesus had authorized. It was a matter of obedience to Christ. Sadly, many in the Church of Christ have made being saved a formula; and doing so, they have lead many astray to another Gospel.
Donna Akers

Stafford, VA

#4 Sep 10, 2009
I never heard this b4 and it do make a lot of sense and he aint come on here and talked it down and he say on his show that topix here is a place to discuss thangs. I guess johny dont have a answer for people like he say all the time.
Mr T

Fredericksburg, VA

#5 Sep 10, 2009
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. Colossians 2:12
It is the operation of God, "with him" not man's works as some claim, but obeying as commanded by Christ.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#6 Sep 10, 2009
Mr. T, you care to address my above comments or would you rather ignore them? Pulling out the Shawn Heath Paden card will not work with me. You address my comments then we shall continue. If not, then kindly move on.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#7 Sep 10, 2009
Mr. T, is "for the remission of your sins" a part of the command or a part of the promise? If it is a part of the command, then one is required to understand that purpose and to be immersed specifically for that purpose. If it is a part of the promise, then it is fulfilled by God to the one obeying his command to be immersed whether that person understands fully or not.

Were you baptized purposely in order to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? Why make an issue of one promise and not the other? In the one account of rebaptism in the Scriptures, converts of Apollos were asked by Paul, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" We are not told of any inquiry into the understood purpose of their prior baptisms (Acts 19:1-9).
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#8 Sep 10, 2009
fyi: your comment, Mr. T, fits perfectly with mine. Gods work, not ours.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#9 Sep 10, 2009
Everyone please take note that my points are being ignored. If you make points they find hard to address, they switch gears. If Mr. T is siding with me, I hope he makes that more clear.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#10 Sep 11, 2009
Twice, JR has put a plug in for "topix" on his show -- looks like he hit reverse gear and headed for the shadows.

The command Peter gave was "repent and be baptized" and it was towards Gods work "the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit." We obey the command, God provided BOTH promises. Strange JR never makes an issue out of being baptized for the purpose of receiving the Holy Spirit.

JR, were you baptized purposely in order to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? Why make an issue of one promise and not the other?

In his Great Commission, Jesus had authorized baptism in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. When they baptized in the name of Christ, they were baptizing as Jesus had authorized. It was a matter of obedience to Christ. Sadly, many in the Church of Christ have made being saved a formula; and doing so, they have lead many astray to another Gospel.

What about you, Johnny? Were you baptized purposely in order to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? Why make an issue of one promise and not the other? In the one account of rebaptism in the Scriptures, converts of Apollos were asked by Paul, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" We are not told of any inquiry into the understood purpose of their prior baptisms (Acts 19:1-9)
Mr T

Saltville, VA

#11 Sep 11, 2009
What is Shawn Heath Paden card so I know what to address? Sorry but I'm new here, not trying to get smart. I personally was baptized when I was 13. The preacher was old school and said a pretty long spiel first. As I recall it was upon your confession of faith in Jesus Christ I baptize you in the name of the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit for the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was pretty much citing the Great Comission combined with Acts 2:38 following my confession of faith, so in my mind at least I am at peace that I'm scripturally baptized. What I understood at that time being 13 was mostly what the preacher said it was. At the time I probably regarded it as "works" whereas having now grown old and studied more I understand the Col. 2:12 explanation much more it was a work of God & nothing I was really doing other than being obedient to what is commanded.
Mr T

Saltville, VA

#12 Sep 11, 2009
AOG, as I understand you, I was siding with you. I cited Col. 2:12 to agree that it is fulfilled by God to the one obeying his command to be immersed. I understand this more now as I am older, as I said in my other post I was 13 at the time and the preacher stated what he did which I can see he based on scriptures. My understanding now is that the preacher did scripturally baptize me as he understood it but it was not me doing anything because as you stated and Col. 2:12 confirms it is the operation of God, not me or the preacher or any person.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#13 Sep 11, 2009
Mr. T, thanks for making that clear. I agree fully with you on Col. 2:11-12.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#14 Sep 12, 2009
Funny that JR would drop a plug in for "topix" on his live broadcast, but not come here to defend what he teaches.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#15 Sep 13, 2009
Church of Christ members and other Christian Denominations take note that JR cannot provide an answer. He cited this avenue as place to discuss things, but the shadows have taken hold of him.

Maybe we should discuss his false teaching of the "thief on the cross." He has changed his take on this a few times -- maybe he should go to Norm Fields web site to get help on this.
Chad

Martinsville, VA

#16 Sep 14, 2009
AOG, If you manage to catch any of his program lastnight, it spun around us. We don't mind this at all, because he keeps causing people to come check us out and now we have more people watching our show and more attending Church.

And we all know he is unable to answer your post here and he thinks we don't know this, I guess.

We also kept up with that blog ACOC last year and noticed how poorly he defended his teachings. Mr. Howard even offered to debate him online -- who btw is also from the Church of Christ. You should go to that site and look around.

Since: Oct 08

Danville, VA

#17 Sep 14, 2009
No the real question is, why isn't Jesus authority and own words enough to cover baptism. If someone is baptized in the name of the father the son and the Holy Spirit under the authority of Jesus Christ this is not enough and they need to be re-baptized???

Using Acts 19, Mr Robertson attempts to show that people need to be re-baptized by him. But lets look at why they were re-baptized:

They were first baptized under John's Baptism and did not even know about the Holy Spirit, thus they were re-baptized under the proper Authority of Jesus Christ and were also given the Holy Spirit.

Perhaps it is Mr. Robertson who needs a second baptism since the Holy Spirit is a Book to him!

So why is Jesus Authority not enough for Mr. Robertson?
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#18 Sep 14, 2009
Walkinginlove is right Johnny!! Were you baptized purposely in order to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? Why make an issue of one promise and not the other?

In the one account of rebaptism in the Scriptures, converts of Apollos were asked by Paul, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" We are not told of any inquiry into the understood purpose of their prior baptisms (Acts 19:1-9).

And as WIL pointed out, they were first baptized under John's Baptism and did not even know about the Holy Spirit, thus they were re-baptized under the proper Authority of Jesus Christ and were also given the Holy Spirit.

I dare say that JR will not be putting too many plugs in for "topix" lest he be exposed more. If you can refute this Johnny Robertson, you are more than welcome to post here. We know you are reading this.
Army of God

Stafford, VA

#19 Sep 14, 2009
Everyone please notice the silence from JR. He builds his false teaching from one verse that doesn't even support his point at all. He wishes to exclude Baptist and others based upon his twisting and bending scripture to suit his theology.

To the members in the Church of Christ, we love you and hope you will wake from the ways of Johnny and turn to a Gospel of love. If Johnny really has an answer, why not post them here "on fair and even ground" or does he wish to pull people in for a live debate so he can cut it all to pieces and then show his supporters how well he is defeating everyone? Does he want to win the lost to Christ or does he want to show everyone how well he can cut up a taped broadcast?
Chad

Martinsville, VA

#20 Sep 15, 2009
Ouch, ouch, ouch! Maybe he can talk about Bronco Billy's again 2moro nite lol. Or maybe talk about the Sanford show. Anything beats dodging this bullet here. Go ye into the world and preach the Gospel....does he ever do that??!! Seems to me he only promotes hate and a willingness to lift himself up by tearing others down. What a crying shame!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholics (Feb '14) 1 hr William 1,033
what are the differences between orthodoxy and ... 6 hr Mike_Peterson 49
Sola fide? Mon Bobby 74
Identifing the Early Church Mon William 15
Work From Home | MAKE MONEY ONLINE | EASY WAY T... Mon Edoncy 1
great way to make money from home Mon Johhny 2
What Does Johnny Robertson Say Mon Bobby 6
•••
•••
•••