Daniel: the seventy-week period

Daniel: the seventy-week period

Posted in the Martinsville Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Apr 11, 2012
As a lad, I was often fascinated with end time teachings. One of the text used was from Daniel.

In chapter 9, Daniel records that an angel appears to him in response to his prayer and makes a proclamation regarding the timing of important events in the future regarding the people of Israel and the holy city of Jerusalem. Daniel broke the seventy-week period into three segments: seven weeks, sixty-two weeks, and one week.

Were all of the events described in the prophecy literally fulfilled over 1,900 years ago? Or, is this prophecy unfulfilled?

Points to consider:

a) the Messiah would be “cut off.”– 9:26 of Daniel. Also see Isaiah 53:8 –“He was cut off from the land of the living”

b) Daniel made clear that during the sixty-nine weeks of the prophetic period, the temple would be rebuilt and national Israel reestablished

c) Daniel alludes to the invasion of Jerusalem with the phrase “abomination of desolation.”
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#2 Apr 11, 2012
testing the spirits wrote:
As a lad, I was often fascinated with end time teachings. One of the text used was from Daniel.
In chapter 9, Daniel records that an angel appears to him in response to his prayer and makes a proclamation regarding the timing of important events in the future regarding the people of Israel and the holy city of Jerusalem. Daniel broke the seventy-week period into three segments: seven weeks, sixty-two weeks, and one week.
Were all of the events described in the prophecy literally fulfilled over 1,900 years ago? Or, is this prophecy unfulfilled?
Points to consider:
a) the Messiah would be “cut off.”– 9:26 of Daniel. Also see Isaiah 53:8 –“He was cut off from the land of the living”
b) Daniel made clear that during the sixty-nine weeks of the prophetic period, the temple would be rebuilt and national Israel reestablished
c) Daniel alludes to the invasion of Jerusalem with the phrase “abomination of desolation.”


I wonder why you would care about this, you are amillennial.

Btw, when are you going to submit to water baptism?
Barnsweb

Copperopolis, CA

#3 Apr 11, 2012
The Daniel passages are famous for prophecy buffs. In one it gives the time line that was exactly when Jesus had the 'triumphal entry' into Jerusalem.

Some are sealed to the last days and opening up.

Have you done searches on the passages to see what others are learning? Chuck Missler is pretty good.
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#4 Apr 11, 2012
Barnsweb wrote:
The Daniel passages are famous for prophecy buffs. In one it gives the time line that was exactly when Jesus had the 'triumphal entry' into Jerusalem.
Some are sealed to the last days and opening up.
Have you done searches on the passages to see what others are learning? Chuck Missler is pretty good.
I agree but you are probably wasting your time, most on these threads do not believe in a literal return of Christ or a literal 1000 year reign.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#5 Apr 12, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder why you would care about this, you are amillennial.
I lean towards an amillennial view but not completely sold on it yet.
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#6 Apr 12, 2012
testing the spirits wrote:
<quoted text>
I lean towards an amillennial view but not completely sold on it yet.
That makes sense to me Randy, since you are not yet sold on Christianity...

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#7 Apr 12, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes sense to me Randy, since you are not yet sold on Christianity...
So, which “Christianity” should I believe? The Methodist Church? I guess its okay to baptize infants although its not authorized by Scripture. On your way to your Methodist “Christian” Church, how many other “Christian” Churches do you pass? Does YOUR church teach the truth? If so, doesn’t this mean that all of them other Churches you pass teach false doctrine. I guess that makes the Methodist Church THE TRUE CHURCH, right? Can’t you even see you own hypocrisy?
Barnsweb

Copperopolis, CA

#8 Apr 12, 2012
Regarding Daniel, from the passages where an angel is speaking; the word of angels of God is remarkabley deep and true.

Fast forward to the angel speaking to Mary. Her Son is to sit on the throne of David. Per the OT understanding, the Messiah was to rule the earth in the righteousness of God and destroy the enemies of God - that Jesus didn't do it on the first trip is why they killed Him.

Every word of God is true, especially notable are those spoken by angels in Scripture.

Because of this, I cannot accept the amillennial as true.

If there is no millennium, when will Jesus sit on the throne of David?
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#9 Apr 12, 2012
testing the spirits wrote:
<quoted text>
So, which “Christianity” should I believe? The Methodist Church? I guess its okay to baptize infants although its not authorized by Scripture. On your way to your Methodist “Christian” Church, how many other “Christian” Churches do you pass? Does YOUR church teach the truth? If so, doesn’t this mean that all of them other Churches you pass teach false doctrine. I guess that makes the Methodist Church THE TRUE CHURCH, right? Can’t you even see you own hypocrisy?
When you find the perfect church let me know? What counts is a perfect savior!

You need to get it settled in your mind that Jesus came to save sinners (that includes everyone even the preachers).

Jesus is that perfect Savior, do you know him?

Is there false doctrine out there, yes. Are some churches better than others, yes. You can look for a lifetime for a perfect church and never find one. Jesus is easy to find and in him there is peace!

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Jesus saves us through all the troubles and cares of this world, trust in him and he will calm all your troubles and fears, he loves you!

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#10 Apr 12, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
When you find the perfect church let me know? What counts is a perfect savior!
You need to get it settled in your mind that Jesus came to save sinners (that includes everyone even the preachers).
Jesus is that perfect Savior, do you know him?
Is there false doctrine out there, yes. Are some churches better than others, yes. You can look for a lifetime for a perfect church and never find one. Jesus is easy to find and in him there is peace!
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Jesus saves us through all the troubles and cares of this world, trust in him and he will calm all your troubles and fears, he loves you!
I agree, there isn’t a perfect group of people. This, again, is my whole point. Where is the line; the standard; the curve God grades on? If this view is true, it means all denominations are saved. It also means doctrine is nonessential.
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#11 Apr 12, 2012
testing the spirits wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, there isn’t a perfect group of people. This, again, is my whole point. Where is the line; the standard; the curve God grades on? If this view is true, it means all denominations are saved. It also means doctrine is nonessential.
It is what we believe about Jesus, he is central to our faith. Yes, I know we have to be careful about heresy but we must have genuine faith which we practice with our doing.

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

This is how we are saved and the verse following is why we were saved.

10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#12 Apr 12, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
It is what we believe about Jesus, he is central to our faith. Yes, I know we have to be careful about heresy but we must have genuine faith which we practice with our doing.
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.
This is how we are saved and the verse following is why we were saved.
10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Where is the line - the curve God grades on? Where does it start and end?
walkinginlove

Danville, VA

#13 Apr 12, 2012
testing the spirits wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the line - the curve God grades on? Where does it start and end?
The curve is based on our mercy towards others. You will never find any group of believers who do it all perfectly, that is why Romans 14 was written.

So Randy "Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’" Acts 22:16

What are you afraid of?

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#14 Apr 12, 2012
walkinginlove wrote:
<quoted text>
The curve is based on our mercy towards others. You will never find any group of believers who do it all perfectly, that is why Romans 14 was written.
So Randy "Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’" Acts 22:16
What are you afraid of?
Not afraid WIL. Just cannot commit to something I can’t make sense of. If we allow some error, as you and Booby said is in every Church ( and your prob right ) then this leads to a form of Universalism. Its pretty much is “unity in diversity” to the max degree. Surely, there must be a stopping place; the curve God grades on. All I am asking is for someone to show me from the Bible where such a line is drawn. The Bible condemns false teaching, so how can we say God accepts this.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#15 Apr 12, 2012
walkinginlove wrote:
<quoted text>
The curve is based on our mercy towards others. You will never find any group of believers who do it all perfectly, that is why Romans 14 was written.
So Randy "Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’" Acts 22:16
What are you afraid of?
Out of everyone I have read behind, you have “defeated and destroyed” more church of Christ doctrine than anyone I know. To this day, you have not been refuted on the things you have brought to light. You cited fallacies with their teaching on David, the woman at the well, Ezra, rebaptism, Communion, and other things for which they have yet to address and refute. Believe me, if they could prove you wrong on here, it would have occurred already.
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#16 Apr 12, 2012
testing the spirits wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of everyone I have read behind, you have “defeated and destroyed” more church of Christ doctrine than anyone I know. To this day, you have not been refuted on the things you have brought to light. You cited fallacies with their teaching on David, the woman at the well, Ezra, rebaptism, Communion, and other things for which they have yet to address and refute. Believe me, if they could prove you wrong on here, it would have occurred already.
So do you now have enough faith to claim the name of Jesus and be water baptized?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#17 Apr 12, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
When you find the perfect church let me know? What counts is a perfect savior!
You need to get it settled in your mind that Jesus came to save sinners (that includes everyone even the preachers).
Jesus is that perfect Savior, do you know him?
Is there false doctrine out there, yes. Are some churches better than others, yes. You can look for a lifetime for a perfect church and never find one. Jesus is easy to find and in him there is peace!
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Jesus saves us through all the troubles and cares of this world, trust in him and he will calm all your troubles and fears, he loves you!
I think you should re-phrase yours statement to say: when you find the perfect DENOMINATION let me know. WE all know the church is not perfect, hence the need for a savior. But because we know the church is not perfect, does that mean that we should just accept error, like "oh well, this is (in essence) the least of all evils, so I'll attend this denomination here". But I already know the answer to that statement, and I will answer it for you. It is the mistaken belief that the Bible teaches that we, as Christians, must "attend church", and that simply is not true because it is simply not in the Bible. "Assemble with the saints", yes. Be a member of a man-made denomination, no. That is the root of your problem right there. Mistaken translation and erroneous doctrine through false interpretation. Sad that the truth is right there, and people don't want it.
Randy

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Apr 12, 2012
SeekingWanderer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should re-phrase yours statement to say: when you find the perfect DENOMINATION let me know. WE all know the church is not perfect, hence the need for a savior. But because we know the church is not perfect, does that mean that we should just accept error, like "oh well, this is (in essence) the least of all evils, so I'll attend this denomination here". But I already know the answer to that statement, and I will answer it for you. It is the mistaken belief that the Bible teaches that we, as Christians, must "attend church", and that simply is not true because it is simply not in the Bible. "Assemble with the saints", yes. Be a member of a man-made denomination, no. That is the root of your problem right there. Mistaken translation and erroneous doctrine through false interpretation. Sad that the truth is right there, and people don't want it.
Agreed
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#19 Apr 12, 2012
SeekingWanderer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you should re-phrase yours statement to say: when you find the perfect DENOMINATION let me know. WE all know the church is not perfect, hence the need for a savior. But because we know the church is not perfect, does that mean that we should just accept error, like "oh well, this is (in essence) the least of all evils, so I'll attend this denomination here". But I already know the answer to that statement, and I will answer it for you. It is the mistaken belief that the Bible teaches that we, as Christians, must "attend church", and that simply is not true because it is simply not in the Bible. "Assemble with the saints", yes. Be a member of a man-made denomination, no. That is the root of your problem right there. Mistaken translation and erroneous doctrine through false interpretation. Sad that the truth is right there, and people don't want it.
You claim (not) to be a christian and you are worried about denominationalism and truth. You say "Assemble with the saints", yes. However, you also say the scripture does not say we are to attend church. apparently, "do not forsake the assembling of yourselves" does not mean anything to you. Why are you here??? Christianity is not a science book or an algebraic equation you can't find biblical answers in the way you are searching. Christianity is a religion of the heart mind and soul, it is based the heart beat of God which is revealed only to believers. In fact we could refer to it as a secret kingdom where God knows his own.

Randy, it is time for you to exercise your faith and confess Jesus as Lord!

Rom 10:8 But what does it say?“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth,“Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says,“Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for,“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#20 Apr 13, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim (not) to be a christian and you are worried about denominationalism and truth. You say "Assemble with the saints", yes. However, you also say the scripture does not say we are to attend church. apparently, "do not forsake the assembling of yourselves" does not mean anything to you. Why are you here??? Christianity is not a science book or an algebraic equation you can't find biblical answers in the way you are searching. Christianity is a religion of the heart mind and soul, it is based the heart beat of God which is revealed only to believers. In fact we could refer to it as a secret kingdom where God knows his own.
Randy, it is time for you to exercise your faith and confess Jesus as Lord!
Rom 10:8 But what does it say?“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth,“Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says,“Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for,“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
You are getting SW and I mixed up. I am Randy, he is Tracy. This has been affirmed on here a few times already.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
thomas jefferson edwards Thu nuks67 2
Christians Murder American Indians (Jan '12) Apr 24 Timothy 25
Norm Fields – FORMER employee of Johnny Robertson (Feb '12) Apr 8 GunFighter 29
Stop erasing my comments! Apr 4 Truth teller 1
stp 500 Apr 2 Dale 2
Catholics (Feb '14) Mar 31 Barnsweb 3,233
News Students win awards in black history art contest Mar '16 White and Right 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinsville Mortgages