Catholic Priest cannot forgive sins

Posted in the Martinsville Forum

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#1 Jul 11, 2014
Catholics love to cite John 20:23 as proof for Peter and others to have power to forgive sin

>>> Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven John 20:23 <<<

Jesus said to the apostles,

>>> Receive the Holy Spirit; whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:22-23) <<<

Apparently the Catholics forgot about the Scribes and Pharisees who reasoned in their hearts concerning Jesus,

>>> Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God only?(Luke 5:21) <<<

They said this ignorant that God was Jesus with them in the flesh. The point should be taken as who the sin forgiver is and is not. Clearly it be God.

It the Catholic priest really have the power to forgive sins, they lack something else >>> MIRACLES <<<

Jesus had power on earth to forgive sins >>> he said to the paralytic

>>> I say to thee, arise, take up thy pallet and go to thy house (Luke 5:24) <<<

Why can't the Catholic priests perform miracles? Since they cannot, they do not have authority to forgive sins either.

Well what did Jesus mean in John 20:23?

Let the bible speak for us. As the Holy Ghost guided them they preached and sent epistles forth which delivered God's plan for forgiving and retaining sins (Luke 24:45-49; Acts 2:38)

This my friends was their power to forgive sins and how it was exercised

If you doubt my words go through all of Acts and see how many times the gospel lead people to forgives verses how many time Peter or any apostle personally forgave sin.

This be so simple I am amazed how the Left-footers get by with this.
Mike_Peterson

Terry, MS

#2 Jul 11, 2014
Calvins Corner wrote:
Catholics love to cite John 20:23 as proof for Peter and others to have power to forgive sin

>>> Receive the Holy Spirit; whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:22-23) <<<

Apparently the Catholics forgot about the Scribes and Pharisees who reasoned in their hearts concerning Jesus,

>>> Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God only?(Luke 5:21) <<<

They said this ignorant that God was Jesus with them in the flesh. The point should be taken as who the sin forgiver is and is not. Clearly it be God.

It the Catholic priest really have the power to forgive sins, they lack something else >>> MIRACLES <<<

>>> I say to thee, arise, take up thy pallet and go to thy house (Luke 5:24) <<<

Why can't the Catholic priests perform miracles? Since they cannot, they do not have authority to forgive sins either.

Let the bible speak for us. As the Holy Ghost guided them they preached and sent epistles forth which delivered God's plan for forgiving and retaining sins (Luke 24:45-49; Acts 2:38)

If you doubt my words go through all of Acts and see how many times the gospel lead people to forgives verses how many time Peter or any apostle personally forgave sin.

You do realize when Jesus told the Apostles that whatever sins they forgive is forgiven in heaven , it was still at least 10 years before anything was written and 350 hears before the Bible?

That post gets printed out. My goodness.

You are the opposite of Richard. He believe in Jesus words only and you don't believe anything he says.

You must think Jesus is like my wife. I have to tell people what I think she is saying.

All you low end protesters do that. Don't believe Jesus when he said you have to eat his flesh. Nope. Something must have been a wrong with him. That doesn't make sense. That's why john 6:66 exists. With God everything is possible

What did Jesus ask the Apostles after telling they hD to eat his flesh and drink his blood.

Are you going to leave me too? Where will we go? You have the words of everlasting life. What were those words

Eat my flesh and drink my blood or you don't have life in you.

Location hidden

#3 Jul 11, 2014

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#4 Jul 11, 2014
Calvins Corner wrote:
You just repeated what I said. They preached God's plans for forgiving and retaining sins which was 'Whatever sins you forgive or retain are forgiven and retained in heaven'

That was the plan. The Bible says you have to confess your sins to one another. Why. So they can be forgiven on Earth.

I think you and Bobby should argue over scripture like low end protesters like to do . You will confuse each other so much.

Are you ashamed to say what's the name on that building you go to on Sunday or Saturday or whatever/

Location hidden

#5 Jul 11, 2014
No Mike that's not what I said.

The delivered the gospel; Jesus forgives sin.

This my friends was their power to forgive sins and how it was exercised >>> NOT <<< personally by the but by the gospel.

Location hidden

#6 Jul 11, 2014
Calvins Corner wrote:
No Mike that's not what I said.
The delivered the gospel; Jesus forgives sin.
This my friends was their power to forgive sins and how it was exercised >>> NOT <<< personally by the but by the gospel.
‘As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them,‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained’" (John 20:21–23).(This is one of only two times we are told that God breathed on man, the other being in Genesis 2:7, when he made man a living soul. It emphasizes how important the establishment of the sacrament of penance was.)

It's the words that a priest uses to confer or convey the forgiveness of Christ once a person has confessed his sins. This absolution is based directly on Jesus' words in John 20:19-23. It says, "God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son, has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sin, through the ministry of the Church. May God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Location hidden

#7 Jul 13, 2014
Mike that has nothing to do with forgiveness being conveyed by a priest. Nothing at all!
Mike_Peterson

Sumrall, MS

#8 Jul 13, 2014
Calvins Corner wrote:
Mike that has nothing to do with forgiveness being conveyed by a priest. Nothing at all!
How simple can Jesus explain something.

He breathed on them and said.....

Protester SS crap. Believe the opposite of what the Christian Church teaches. And you use the book the CC created. Utter folly.

You are exactly like this in 6:66

Location hidden

#9 Jul 13, 2014
Mike_Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
How simple can Jesus explain something.
He breathed on them and said.....
Protester SS crap. Believe the opposite of what the Christian Church teaches. And you use the book the CC created. Utter folly.
You are exactly like this in 6:66
The only mediator between man and God is __________
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#10 Jul 13, 2014
Calvins Corner wrote:
<quoted text>
mike where are you?

Location hidden

#11 Jul 13, 2014
Calvins Corner wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen !!!

AND/THAT

Right before that in the first two verses, St. Paul commands “supplications, prayers and intercessions to be made for all men..

Uh oh. What is a protester to do. We got to go back to the either/or policy. We have to pick one. Paul had too much wine to drink when he wrote that letter.

Lets pick the last thing he said, the orgininal Christians believe both so we have to believe something different. We can't agree with Jesus' Church. Its either/ or Lord. Rememer that agreement we had. You be my savior and I believe what I want.

Christ is our one mediator/intercessor, yet, St. Paul commands all Christians to be intercessors/mediators. Then notice the first word in verse five:“For there is one God and one mediator…” And then in verse seven he says,“For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle.” What is an apostle if not a mediator? The very definition of apostle, according to Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, is “a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders.” That’s an essential part of what a mediator is. In short, St. Paul says we are all called to be mediators because Christ is the one mediator and for this reason he was called to be a mediator of God’s love and grace to the world!

Is this a contradiction? Not at all! The fact that Jesus is our one mediator does not preclude him from communicating this power by way of participation. The Bible also declares:“But you are not to be called Rabbi, for you have one teacher,(Gr.– didaskolos) and you are all brethren.” This text cannot be any clearer, yet James 3:1 and Ephesians 4:11 tell us we have many teachers (Gr.– didaskoloi) in the Church. The key is to understand that the many teachers and mediators in the body of Christ do not take away from Christ as the one teacher and mediator because they are, in a sense, Christ on this earth and they serve to establish his offices of teacher and mediator in him. As members of the body of Christ graced with a specific task by Christ they can say with St. Paul in Galatians 2:20,“It is not I, but Christ who [teaches] in me…”

So it is with Christ and his Body. Eph. 1:22-23 goes so far as to say the Church is,“The fullness of him who fills all in all.” Thus, the Church is Christ in this world. This does not take away from Christ's unique mediation; it establishes that unique mediation. Different members of the Church mediate various graces in accordance with their respective gifts while the whole body functions to bring Christ to the world. Romans 12:4-6 says:

For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us.

And this radical union with Christ and with the other members of the Body of Christ does not cease at death. Romans 8:35-38 tells us, among other things,“neither death nor life… shall be able to separate us from the love of Christ.” Thus, those alive on earth can still benefit from—they are still connected to—the other members of the Body of Christ in heaven.

Is Christ our one, true mediator? Absolutely! And it is this same Christ who has chosen to use his Body to mediate God’s grace to the world in and through him.
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#12 Jul 13, 2014
Calvins Corner wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike where are you?

Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#13 Jul 13, 2014
A nun at a Catholic school asked her students what they want to be when they grow up. Little Mary declares, "I want to be a prostitute." "What did you say?" asks the nun, totally shocked. "I said I want to be a prostitute," Mary repeats. "Oh, thank heavens," says the nun. "I thought you said 'a Protestant!'"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shawn Paden, is Johnny Robertson a false teache... 1 hr Axel Reid 111
Steve Baisden is Weak Fence Riding Preterist 3 hr THE True Preterist 1
The 2nd coming of Jesus 17 hr Axel Reid 1
"THIS GENERATION" will by no means pass away 17 hr Axel Reid 4
The Son of Man coming in His kingdom 19 hr Axel Reid 1
Open letter to Steve Baisden Thu anonymous 64
Johnny Robertson “secretly” holds part of Reali... Thu Axel Reid 13
More from around the web

Martinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE