Thoughts on Catholicism
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#123 Jun 21, 2013
Glory to God in the highest. And on earth peace to men of good will. We praise You. We bless You. We adore you. We glorify You. We give You thanks for Your great glory. O Lord God, heavenly King, God the Father almighty. O Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son. O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father: you Who take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us. You Who take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer. You Who sit at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us. For you alone are holy. You alone are the Lord. You alone, O Jesus Christ, are most high. Together with the Holy Spirit in the glory of God the Father. Amen.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#124 Jun 21, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
Glory to God in the highest. And on earth peace to men of good will. We praise You. We bless You. We adore you. We glorify You. We give You thanks for Your great glory. O Lord God, heavenly King, God the Father almighty. O Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son. O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father: you Who take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us. You Who take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer. You Who sit at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on us. For you alone are holy. You alone are the Lord. You alone, O Jesus Christ, are most high. Together with the Holy Spirit in the glory of God the Father. Amen.
Watch out some of these folks are going to think you are casting a spell on them.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#125 Jun 21, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
sounds nice, do you have similar praise for the pope? I think you do-ugh...
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#126 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
sounds nice, do you have similar praise for the pope? I think you do-ugh...
What do you do in your worship service for 1 hour? Maybe sing something and then sit on your butt for 40 minutes listening to a man talk.

A "low church" protestant can go to Church for their entire life and not once say a prayer or sing or participate in any way. Do nothing but sit down and listen. I think I remember they stand for some songs. Don't remember why but maybe to stretch their legs before the 'man' talks.

Some might holler amen, dance around and make mutterings but not in a Baptist Church.

You can do that watch that on TV.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#127 Jun 21, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you do in your worship service for 1 hour? Maybe sing something and then sit on your butt for 40 minutes listening to a man talk.
A "low church" protestant can go to Church for their entire life and not once say a prayer or sing or participate in any way. Do nothing but sit down and listen. I think I remember they stand for some songs. Don't remember why but maybe to stretch their legs before the 'man' talks.
Some might holler amen, dance around and make mutterings but not in a Baptist Church.
You can do that watch that on TV.
I have never had to sit in a service done entirely in Latin:-)
Mike Peterson

Birmingham, AL

#128 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Me neither, but I could if I wanted to. Or any other language in the World.

Remember it is the Universal Church.

Your universe is the Christ Chapel Bible Church in Ft Worth and giving some money for some missionaries.

Are there in any Ft Worth Bible Churches in Angola, Africa or in Quatar?

Location hidden

#129 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Up until just a few centuries ago there were no places for people to sit in churches. They stood except when kneeling. It was not until the prot. reformation came along and folks had to listen to boring sermons for an hour or so and do little else that pews were added in their churches. Wasn't long until the idea of parking your butt spread into Catholic churches. Even today you will rarely find permanent seating in churches and cathedrals past a certain age. You almost never find seats of any kind in Greek Orthodox churches and their liturgies go on for hours and hours.

One things for sure Catholics and Anglicans unlike most prots do very little sitting at church. It's up and down and kneeling a lot. And I've never heard a Latin Mass either except on TV. Dominus vobiscum!
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#130 Jun 21, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Up until just a few centuries ago there were no places for people to sit in churches. They stood except when kneeling. It was not until the prot. reformation came along and folks had to listen to boring sermons for an hour or so and do little else that pews were added in their churches. Wasn't long until the idea of parking your butt spread into Catholic churches. Even today you will rarely find permanent seating in churches and cathedrals past a certain age. You almost never find seats of any kind in Greek Orthodox churches and their liturgies go on for hours and hours.
One things for sure Catholics and Anglicans unlike most prots do very little sitting at church. It's up and down and kneeling a lot. And I've never heard a Latin Mass either except on TV. Dominus vobiscum!
Yes lots of rituals, no much else.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#131 Jun 21, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
Me neither, but I could if I wanted to. Or any other language in the World.
Remember it is the Universal Church.
Your universe is the Christ Chapel Bible Church in Ft Worth and giving some money for some missionaries.
Are there in any Ft Worth Bible Churches in Angola, Africa or in Quatar?
Yes, china, india and others also- "Christ for the nations"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_for_the_N...

Location hidden

#132 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes lots of rituals, no much else.
So you are saying you don't engage in rituals on Sunday? BULL! I've often wondered why, given that so much documentation about early Christian worship in the 2nd and 3rd centuries exists why the CofC insists on patterning their liturgical practices after the Baptist church? The interiors of CofC worship spaces even look identical to those of Baptists. The CofC even ignores the hymns and songs from that earliest time in favor of those written by Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, and even (shudder) Catholics.'Tis a puzzlement.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#133 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, china, india and others also- "Christ for the nations"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_for_the_N...
So you don't belong to a Bible Church in Ft Worth. YOU belong to the Christ for the Nations Institute Church.

Why do mislead people by not telling the Truth. You don't belong to a Bible Church.

So if you go to a Christ for the Nations Institute Church in Africa, the Pastor there teaches the same thing as your CNIC Church in Dallas.

So Dennis Lindsay is the head of your Church. Does he have authority over all 12,000 Churchs? Do you call him Bishop?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#134 Jun 21, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying you don't engage in rituals on Sunday? BULL! I've often wondered why, given that so much documentation about early Christian worship in the 2nd and 3rd centuries exists why the CofC insists on patterning their liturgical practices after the Baptist church? The interiors of CofC worship spaces even look identical to those of Baptists. The CofC even ignores the hymns and songs from that earliest time in favor of those written by Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, and even (shudder) Catholics.'Tis a puzzlement.
Mark, how many times do I have to tell you-I am ex-coc but not ex christian. there are many good coc's. I was never in a good one and I guess you were not either.

In my opinion the old time coc's were more like catholics than baptist. Both teach works for salvation.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#135 Jun 21, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't belong to a Bible Church in Ft Worth. YOU belong to the Christ for the Nations Institute Church.
Why do mislead people by not telling the Truth. You don't belong to a Bible Church.
So if you go to a Christ for the Nations Institute Church in Africa, the Pastor there teaches the same thing as your CNIC Church in Dallas.
So Dennis Lindsay is the head of your Church. Does he have authority over all 12,000 Churchs? Do you call him Bishop?
We all teach and believe the same doctrine. I do not know Dennis Lindsay. Do you know a catholic priest named James Reilly? Does he teach the same things you do?

Location hidden

#136 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark, how many times do I have to tell you-I am ex-coc but not ex christian. there are many good coc's. I was never in a good one and I guess you were not either.
In my opinion the old time coc's were more like catholics than baptist. Both teach works for salvation.
Sorry but I do not recall you telling me this. So where do you hang your biretta now?
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#137 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
We all teach and believe the same doctrine. I do not know Dennis Lindsay. Do you know a catholic priest named James Reilly? Does he teach the same things you do?
I am not ordained but he should be teaching what the church teaches. If I go to his church the worhip service will be exactly like the church I go to.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#138 Jun 21, 2013
Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not ordained but he should be teaching what the church teaches. If I go to his church the worhip service will be exactly like the church I go to.
I think he has been arrested for child abuse in Ft worth, do they teach that in your church?
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#139 Jun 21, 2013
MarkEden wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but I do not recall you telling me this. So where do you hang your biretta now?
Not in a catholic church, that is for sure. I still visit in a coc sometimes.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#140 Jun 21, 2013
I do have a catholic family living down the street from me, but they seldom ever leave home on sunday- doubt they go. They never answer their door-bill collectors hound them. I offered to help him remove a dead tree but never heard back from him.

Location hidden

#141 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
I do have a catholic family living down the street from me, but they seldom ever leave home on Sunday- doubt they go. They never answer their door-bill collectors hound them. I offered to help him remove a dead tree but never heard back from him.
Yeah them Catholics are weird. Possibly they go to the Saturday evening vigil (same as Sunday) but it's really none of your business. Maybe they like dead trees. Maybe they don't like the local parish church. I don't. It's full of illegal aliens and has a first generation Vietnamese priest. It's also packed with tacky 1960's plaster statues and has a crappy organ and organist.
Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

#142 Jun 21, 2013
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he has been arrested for child abuse in Ft worth, do they teach that in your church?
I really think now you were abused
as a child. You can't get it out of mind. Get some help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dr.joel smithers Feb 20 YEPP 4
the church of Christ insider discussion boards (Aug '10) Jan 28 William 10
Is there anything to do here??? Bored..... Jan '17 ATTheWizard85 1
Church of Christ rules and principles (Apr '13) Dec '16 Credal Drone 305
THE CHILDREN of THE GOD MOST HIGH (May '14) Dec '16 randy 6
thomas jefferson edwards (Apr '16) Oct '16 NUKS67 3
Martinsville Seven - The Martinsville Curse (Mar '10) Oct '16 Santiago Ramey 10

Martinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance