Mike Peterson

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

How do companies discriminate against drug users?
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

"How do companies discriminate against drug users?"

Because companies just are out of touch, man. Drug user employees are not a threat to a company and what it does to stay in business.

Non-drug users are the real problem, man.

Since: Jul 12

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

If a company has a random drug test policy and an employee tested positive for marijuana, he would have failed the drug test and the company has the right to reprimand him or fire him. If weed were legal, how would the company have the right to reprimand him for doing something legal?
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

"If weed were legal, how would the company have the right to reprimand him for doing something legal?"

If the impairment is against company policy, like "showing up for work drunk" is against company policy, then they have every right to reprimand an employee.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

Showing up for work drunk and drinking while you are away from work is not the same thing - it is OK for a company to require you to not drink when they are paying you for your time, but once you leave work, you do not have to follow the rules of your job - your job is not allowed to dictate what legal things you can do on your own time.

The only reason a drug test that indicates marijuana use can be held against you is because marijuana use is illegal. For example: suppose a drug test was positive for oxycotin and hydrocodone - drugs commonly abused and available illegally - however, that person has legal prescriptions for those drugs - the company cannot hold that person at fault for having taken those substances because that person isn't doing anything illegal.

SO - it's common knowledge that a positive drug test for marjiuana could mean that the person JUST smoked pot or smoked pot within the past several weeks. If weed were legal, how could companies punish employees for doing something legal on their own time?
William

Jacksons Gap, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
Showing up for work drunk and drinking while you are away from work is not the same thing - it is OK for a company to require you to not drink when they are paying you for your time, but once you leave work, you do not have to follow the rules of your job - your job is not allowed to dictate what legal things you can do on your own time.
When I was in the Marines, even when I was off duty I was still bound to comply with good sense measures regarding personal conduct and that included drinking. As an aviator, drinking off duty meant that impairment could impact my abilities once I reported back to duty.

And any good private business expects you to behave in the exact same manner. Mine certainly does.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

William wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was in the Marines, even when I was off duty I was still bound to comply with good sense measures regarding personal conduct and that included drinking. As an aviator, drinking off duty meant that impairment could impact my abilities once I reported back to duty.
And any good private business expects you to behave in the exact same manner. Mine certainly does.
Your employer doesn't allow you to drink - ever?!?

Why are marines so infamous for partying when they are off duty? They didn't get those tattoos when they were sober.(JK - it's really bad business to give a tattoo to a drunk person - it makes the ink run)

I can understand the extra importance of keeping a clear mind if you are "on call" - but you are trying to tell me that a drink on Sat. night is going to impair my judgement on Mon. morning. That's kind of far-fetched. An aspirin on Sat. night does not help my Mon. morning head ache. A meal on Sat. night does not prevent my Mon. morning hunger. How is weed different?
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

"Your employer doesn't allow you to drink - ever?!?"

Certainly not. But if one of our employees were to get drunk, act the fool, and end up doing something that reflects badly on our firm, then my point about conduct after hours becomes valid.

"Why are Marines so infamous for partying when they are off duty? They didn't get those tattoos when they were sober."

And if they get out of line while off duty, they get disciplined, which very often means getting busted out of the service with a Dishonorable Discharge. The standard of conduct for officers is considerably higher. You may not realize that adherence to discipline is at the core of the conduct of a US Marine, or for that matter, all servicemen and women. Some take it more seriously than others, which is just a fact of life. The ones that don't take it seriously usually find themselves busted down in rank, fined, and possibly kicked out. All of which stays on the permanent record.

"I can understand the extra importance of keeping a clear mind if you are "on call" - but you are trying to tell me that a drink on Sat. night is going to impair my judgment on Mon. morning. That's kind of far-fetched. An aspirin on Sat. night does not help my Mon. morning head ache. A meal on Sat. night does not prevent my Mon. morning hunger. How is weed different?"

A drink or two, probably not. But a drink or two will not get a person drunk, and getting drunk is the issue regarding job performance. Particularly if it is part of a pattern that affects job performance on Monday mornings. Same thing for weed.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

By "acting a fool" do you mean: drinking and THEN doing things that are illegal - like driving or being drunk in public - things they could be arrested for? Or, does "acting a fool" include making an embarrassing scene at a public event or being recognized and reported when they were seen drinking. How would anyone know if an employee drank himself quietly to sleep each night if he was sure to clean himself up each morning for work? This sounds like a hard rule to enforce.
William

Jacksons Gap, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

As long as the employee doesn't make alcohol the problem, there won't be any problems.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

William wrote:
As long as the employee doesn't make alcohol the problem, there won't be any problems.
OK then. So... if weed were legal and a person uses weed on his own time - responsibly - then his employer would not prohibit it's use and so it should be acceptable to test positive for marijuana in a drug test.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Mike Peterson wrote:
<quoted text>
For you liberals I will trade you to legalize all drugs, for a law against killing unborn babies..
Not going to happen. But you are free to decide not to abort if you ever get pregnant.

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

<quoted text>
I'm not kidding! Eat what you want, food is legal - but be aware that drinking soda and eating hamburgers all the time WILL harm your body. You can focus on eating raw vegetables and drinking lots of water if you want to cleanse your body of toxins.
But, the topic is marijuana, so explain to me how a law making weed illegal harms people more than allowing people to smoke weed the way they are allowed to drink alcohol?
Every time you hear a story about drug cartels hacking off the heads of members of entire families, every time you see street gangs that outgun the police, you are seeing the results of the laws against drugs. Marijuana is the most commonly used illegal drug.
Also - how is it that companies could discriminate against people who smoke weed IF weed were legal? That doesn't make sense to me..
?

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

William wrote:
"Laws against drugs cause a lot more harm than the drugs themselves."
Spoken like a true addict.
You do realize that drug rehabilitation exists for a reason, don't you.
Spoken like a true idiot.
You do realize receiving a life sentence for possessing pot is more harmful than possessing it, don't you?

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

If a company has a random drug test policy and an employee tested positive for marijuana, he would have failed the drug test and the company has the right to reprimand him or fire him. If weed were legal, how would the company have the right to reprimand him for doing something legal?
They can fire people for being late all the time, Einstein. There is nothing illegal about that.
I'd never pee in a cup for an employer, I'd tell them it's none of their business.

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

The only reason a drug test that indicates marijuana use can be held against you is because marijuana use is illegal. For example: suppose a drug test was positive for oxycotin and hydrocodone - drugs commonly abused and available illegally - however, that person has legal prescriptions for those drugs - the company cannot hold that person at fault for having taken those substances because that person isn't doing anything illegal.
SO - it's common knowledge that a positive drug test for marjiuana could mean that the person JUST smoked pot or smoked pot within the past several weeks. If weed were legal, how could companies punish employees for doing something legal on their own time?
Why should they?
William

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

"I'd never pee in a cup for an employer, I'd tell them it's none of their business."

I don't think that you'll ever have to worry about it.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
Every time you hear a story about drug cartels hacking off the heads of members of entire families, every time you see street gangs that outgun the police, you are seeing the results of the laws against drugs. Marijuana is the most commonly used illegal drug.
WhAt?!?

Laws against drugs causes people to cut off people's heads??

Are you sure that's not laws against MURDER?

You are silly - of course there would be no crime if there were no laws! Anarchy would be so cool, huh?

This does not support your argument of legalizing marijuana in any way. Criminals will commit crime and one less law will not change that at all.

Now, put the bong down before a drug cartel decapitates your family because that weed ain't legal yet.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a true idiot.
You do realize receiving a life sentence for possessing pot is more harmful than possessing it, don't you?
Harmful to who?? The person committing crime?

Well, go ahead and learn that lesson before you are given the death penalty for smoking that joint.

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
They can fire people for being late all the time, Einstein. There is nothing illegal about that.
I'd never pee in a cup for an employer, I'd tell them it's none of their business.
That's exactly why professional positions generally require drug tests - they know you have that attitude and they don't want to hire potheads. I guess it's a win/win - they don't hire drug users and you don't have to answer to pesky boss or cash that bothersome paycheck.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 100 of193
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Martinsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Martinsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••