|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The woman didn't even have control over the gun. She was 86 years old for crying out loud. She was reaching for the gun when he wrestled it away from her. You call that evidence to support your claim?
If you recall, you told me to Google the words you provided and told me I would find hundreds of heartwarming gun success stories and no stories of gun failures. The only claim I was making was how you were wrong about that specific assertion of yours.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
How old is a reasonable age to teach your child how to use a gun?
I started teaching my son when he was 12.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Gun accidents happen all the time. Every hunting season usually starts out with a hunter getting hurt or killed by accident. So do we outlaw hunting or disarm the rest of America for that reason?
Crazy. These experienced, trained, gunmen shooting themselves or each other. Even more reason to put more guns in schools, eh?
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. I didn't understand the terminology. When a homeowner pulls a gun on an intruder and "wins" the confrontation, that is a gun success story. When a home owner pulls a gun on who he thinks is an intruder and shoots someone in his own family, that's just an unfortunate incident. I see. I bet that gun made that granddaughter shot in the chest feel much safer in her home.
"She didn't say that having a gun makes you more likely to be assaulted. She said the study said if you have a gun when you get assaulted you are more likely to get shot."

That's what we were discussing.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Gun accidents happen all the time. Every hunting season usually starts out with a hunter getting hurt or killed by accident. So do we outlaw hunting or disarm the rest of America for that reason?
XX, there is an assumed risk when people hunt. There is an assumed risk when we get in a car, bus, plane, truck. We don't expect anything to happen, but we know it is a possibility.

There is not an assumed risk when we send kids to school or go to the movies. We may expect that our kids will fall off the slide or the swings, or fall down on the playground at recess, but we never expect them to be gunned down at school at 6 or 7 years old.

Another poster on another thread suggested that maybe gun owners should have their Semi Automatics and Clips of more than 12 Rounds locked away at Shooting ranges. Come shoot them when they wish. Gun owners expense Not a bad idea. It would likely be the Honor System, like our Taxes, so there would be cheats. Electronic chips/tracking systems also an option. First thing that should be done, regardless of what goes down with Gun limitations is a lock system at schools, like they have at Malls. When someone reports a lost child all the doors to Exterior are locked automatically. Cameras and Metal Detectors prior to the doors could help at schools.
Better than having kids in an armed camp and calling it school.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
"She didn't say that having a gun makes you more likely to be assaulted. She said the study said if you have a gun when you get assaulted you are more likely to get shot."
That's what we were discussing.
And my contribution to the discussion is that anecdote and Google searches are a completely unscientific approach at trying to answer that question and are essentially worthless. She is the only person who has offered an answer based on scientific method.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>I started teaching my son when he was 12.
Do you know what age people usually start demonstrating symptoms of schizophrenia?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
How old is a reasonable age to teach your child how to use a gun?
Apparently, considering all the experienced gun owners with dead children, Median age is 3 Years.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>I started teaching my son when he was 12.
As did the school shooters Mother. But she is dead as is the shooter.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
XX, there is an assumed risk when people hunt. There is an assumed risk when we get in a car, bus, plane, truck. We don't expect anything to happen, but we know it is a possibility.
There is not an assumed risk when we send kids to school or go to the movies. We may expect that our kids will fall off the slide or the swings, or fall down on the playground at recess, but we never expect them to be gunned down at school at 6 or 7 years old.
Another poster on another thread suggested that maybe gun owners should have their Semi Automatics and Clips of more than 12 Rounds locked away at Shooting ranges. Come shoot them when they wish. Gun owners expense Not a bad idea. It would likely be the Honor System, like our Taxes, so there would be cheats. Electronic chips/tracking systems also an option. First thing that should be done, regardless of what goes down with Gun limitations is a lock system at schools, like they have at Malls. When someone reports a lost child all the doors to Exterior are locked automatically. Cameras and Metal Detectors prior to the doors could help at schools.
Better than having kids in an armed camp and calling it school.
Tell your friend in the other blog that firing ranges are not like gyms. You don't have lockers or storage spaces for your personal belongings.

Most of the guns in America today are semi-automatics. So what you're suggesting is that innocent civilians go out with a revolver and try to defend themselves against criminals with semi-automatic weapons. Good luck with that one. You might as well make all guns illegal and to hell with the Constitution.

So we install "lock systems" in the schools. That way, if a shooter breaks in, we can make it more difficult for the police to enter the school. Great idea! The school in Conn. did have locked doors. The clown shot the locks out to enter the building.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
And my contribution to the discussion is that anecdote and Google searches are a completely unscientific approach at trying to answer that question and are essentially worthless. She is the only person who has offered an answer based on scientific method.
What scientific method? To just print numbers and no explanation behind them? I don't call that scientific.

It kind of reminds me of the race debate with narcotics. They just print sentences and try to relate it to race rather than circumstance. No information about past criminal records. No data to say how the defendants conducted themselves. No data on the circumstances regarding the arrest. No data on how remorseful the defendant was. Just that white coke users get less time than black crack users. End of story.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
My posts was in direct response to another's post. Learn to read in context. Christ.
Same response Che. My reply was to YOUR post!! I have occasionally agreed with your posts but when you are wrong you are just like the true blue Lib, blame someone else.
It is impossible for you to say; oops, I miss-stated, that is not what I meant, my info was in error or whatever.In other words, YOU pass the buck. Typical Obama, Pill-osi type of Lib.
It seems equally true that YOU deem yourself infallible!! Incapable of typo's, misinformation, personal bias, miscommunication & just plain 'to error is human'.
At times you argue the inarguable. Other times you have a valid point. This is NOT one of those occasions.
WE are all possible of human error but YOU can NOT admit that of yourself. So just go on your merry infallible, la-la land way & prohibit personal mental growth.
WE know you for who & what YOU are.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell your friend in the other blog that firing ranges are not like gyms. You don't have lockers or storage spaces for your personal belongings.
Most of the guns in America today are semi-automatics. So what you're suggesting is that innocent civilians go out with a revolver and try to defend themselves against criminals with semi-automatic weapons. Good luck with that one. You might as well make all guns illegal and to hell with the Constitution.
So we install "lock systems" in the schools. That way, if a shooter breaks in, we can make it more difficult for the police to enter the school. Great idea! The school in Conn. did have locked doors. The clown shot the locks out to enter the building.
Or we could read ALL of the words of the 2nd amendment and realize that it is no longer 1789 and we really don't need armed citizens in order to maintain a well regulated militia and just repeal that sucker. We can throw Three in there as well. Just as relevant.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Ohh Shoot: Gun enthusiast unintentionally shoots himself in ... ohhshoot.blogspot.com/2012/10/gun-enthusiast-...

Oct 17, 2012 ... Gun enthusiast unintentionally shoots himself in the head and dies ... Police said that alcohol was involved in the incident but don't yet know to what extent.... Some might refer to these as accidental shootings, but accident is ...

Soldier 'accidentally kills his hiccupping friend after ... www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208530/Sold... ...

Sep 25, 2012 ... In a tragic accident fueled by alcohol and Sunday night football,... Soldier ' accidentally kills his friend after putting gun to his head to scare away his hiccups'... Pictured: Neighbours said Peter Lanza, centre left, and his new wife, Shelley ... As a shooting sports enthusiast I have always repeated the old ...

TEACHERS ARE KILLERS TOO!!!

carlin.news stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/activity/h/humor/Spe...

Police say a severely disturbed geography teacher has shot six people who did not ... A turnpike toll-collector has been arrested for pouring burning gasoline on people's ... claiming that a bowl of alphabet soup spelled out obscene messages to his wife.... He claims he was just cleaning his gun when it suddenly went off.

Connecticut man kills suspected burglar, then learns - NBC News usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/28/14134818-... ...

Sep 28, 2012 ... A Connecticut man shoots and kills his teenage son after mistaking him ... and he grabbed a gun and went outside to investigate, police said.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
What scientific method? To just print numbers and no explanation behind them? I don't call that scientific.
It kind of reminds me of the race debate with narcotics. They just print sentences and try to relate it to race rather than circumstance. No information about past criminal records. No data to say how the defendants conducted themselves. No data on the circumstances regarding the arrest. No data on how remorseful the defendant was. Just that white coke users get less time than black crack users. End of story.
There were numbers behind them. She offered to get them for you. What she was able to link to was called an abstract. An abstract is a brief explanation of the study and its results. The numbers and explanation you desire is contained in the complete report the abstract summarizes.

The disparity in crack versus powder cocaine sentences had nothing to do with priors or anything else. It was simply that the statutes punished possession or sale of the same weight of crack much more severely than the possession or sale of the same weight of powder.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Same response Che. My reply was to YOUR post!! I have occasionally agreed with your posts but when you are wrong you are just like the true blue Lib, blame someone else.
It is impossible for you to say; oops, I miss-stated, that is not what I meant, my info was in error or whatever.In other words, YOU pass the buck. Typical Obama, Pill-osi type of Lib.
It seems equally true that YOU deem yourself infallible!! Incapable of typo's, misinformation, personal bias, miscommunication & just plain 'to error is human'.
At times you argue the inarguable. Other times you have a valid point. This is NOT one of those occasions.
WE are all possible of human error but YOU can NOT admit that of yourself. So just go on your merry infallible, la-la land way & prohibit personal mental growth.
WE know you for who & what YOU are.
Ok then. Explain, in context, the original poster's comment that I responded to, my response, and your response to me and show where I was mistaken.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Or we could read ALL of the words of the 2nd amendment and realize that it is no longer 1789 and we really don't need armed citizens in order to maintain a well regulated militia and just repeal that sucker. We can throw Three in there as well. Just as relevant.
I agree, but we both know we aren't goin' there. There have actually been gun nuts on TV Interviews past couple of days admitting that they want and need their assault weapons to use against the Government.

Pro-weapons group says 'gun control supporters have ...-... www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249769/Gun-... ...

2 days ago ... Gun Owners of America executive director Larry Pratt said directly after ... that it was necessary to be 'prepared' and 'control the government.'...
A Gun Rights Fanatic and Gun Control Advocate Meet in the ... www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/12/david-corn-g... ...

1 day ago ... Gun Owners of America's executive director Larry Pratt on MSNBC's "Hardball" ... With a sneer, Pratt said, "You've noticed that, too?... He also would tell Chris Matthews that "we have guns in order to control the government.... jousts with gun rights advocate Richard Feldman over the need for gun control.
Larry Pratt on guns in America - Piers Morgan - CNN.com piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/18/larry-pr... ...

23 hours ago ... Pratt says he's deeply disturbed by the anti-gun supporters..... Anyone complaining about gun control and not complaining about .... Tell me where in any of the states is it required at this time the citizens need to guard the state's security?.... criminals, and to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
That's called a gun accident and doesn't support your claim that those who use a gun are likely to make matters worse on themselves ending up with them getting shot instead.
Kinda reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the proctologist whose license plates get misdirected to Kramer.

"One in a million chance Doc. One in a million."

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. I didn't understand the terminology. When a homeowner pulls a gun on an intruder and "wins" the confrontation, that is a gun success story. When a home owner pulls a gun on who he thinks is an intruder and shoots someone in his own family, that's just an unfortunate incident. I see. I bet that gun made that granddaughter shot in the chest feel much safer in her home.
One o those "accidentally on purpose" thingys, where ya ask for a do-over.

woof

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

There is no end to the idiocy. Are you seeing this Ray? Not that I think it will matter.

Man accidentally shoots self at Georgia gun show - CBS News www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57371907/man-acc... ...

Feb 6, 2012 ... Man accidentally shoots self at Georgia gun show ... Savannah-Chatham police spokesman Julian Miller says Lake bought the pistol at the gun ...
Man Accidentally Shoots Himself at Savannah Gun Show - The Blaze www.theblaze.com/stories/man-accidentally-sho... ...

Feb 6, 2012 ... Georgia Man Accidentally Shoots Himself at Savannah Gun Show | Charles Lake .... There is NO LAW that says you can't do that. Next- I would ...
Police: Man accidentally shoots self at Georgia gun show | Fox ... www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/06/police-man-acci... ...

Feb 6, 2012 ... Police: Man accidentally shoots self at Georgia gun show ... Savannah-Chatham police spokesman Julian Miller says Lake bought the pistol at ...

Ga. sheriff's deputy accidentally shoots himself |... www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/nov/03/ga-sh... ...

Nov 3, 2012 ... Ga. sheriff's deputy accidentally shoots himself ... Man shot during search sues deputy, City of Chattanooga, and Hamilton County ... Flintstone, Ga., woman who was shot charged with stealing a car, two guns and pain ... Probe reveals claims of unnecessary therapies at Cleveland-based Life Care Centers ...
Bonney Lake man accidentally shoots self at Packwood firing ... article.wn.com/view/2012/09/06/Bonney_Lake_ma... ...

Sep 6, 2012 ... Bonney Lake man accidentally shoots self at Packwood firing range .... The New York Fire Department says their conditions range from minor injuries to not urgent .... a guy who attempted to mount a horse a different way, a young lady who attempted to roll down ..... Protests over prison abuse rocks Georgia ...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Martins Ferry Discussions

Search the Martins Ferry Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 20 NSA 229
Midget League Football Jul 9 New Neighbor 1
the music thread (Mar '12) Jul 7 Musikologist 17
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 2 Lindsay 2,213
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Bobby Nye 178
Martins Ferry Police looking for stabbing suspect May '14 Donald Muhammad 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Martins Ferry, OH (Jul '10) Apr '14 Nope 12
•••
•••
•••
•••

Martins Ferry Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Martins Ferry People Search