Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

The Dan Foley Cultural Center buzzed with conversation and music Wednesday night for the first of three Participatory Budgeting Vallejo community expositions.

Visitors were given a sneak peak at about three dozen community-generated ideas they will be asked to vote on next month via an advisory ballot.

"I am so impressed by everyone that has really poured their heart into these projects. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the depth of them, the variety -- the people seeing the need that's there," commented Nancy Yingst, activities coordinator at the Florence Douglas Senior Center. "I think we all have our agenda,'I'm tired of driving over potholes,' but we need to get beyond that."

Yingst commended innovative ideas like a proposal to provide small business grants between $5,000 and $30,000 each for downtown applicants, and a plan to open a weekly flea market that would donate space rental fees to community nonprofits with an initial 12-week start up seed money of $12,130.

Some manning booths at the exposition were new converts to their projects, and even new to the city -- like five-month Vallejo resident Hernán Luduena Segre who fell in love with his neighborhood's Mira Guild Theatre.

Others like Solano AIDS Coalition president Mario Saucedo and his flea market, and Myrna Hayes, with a laundry list of help for the Mare Island Shoreline Heritage Preserve, backed issues that have been near and dear to their hearts for years.
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

The Dan Foley Cultural Center buzzed with conversation and music Wednesday night for the first of three Participatory Budgeting Vallejo community expositions.

Visitors were given a sneak peak at about three dozen community-generated ideas they will be asked to vote on next month via an advisory ballot.

"I am so impressed by everyone that has really poured their heart into these projects. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the depth of them, the variety -- the people seeing the need that's there," commented Nancy Yingst, activities coordinator at the Florence Douglas Senior Center. "I think we all have our agenda,'I'm tired of driving over potholes,' but we need to get beyond that."

Yingst commended innovative ideas like a proposal to provide small business grants between $5,000 and $30,000 each for downtown applicants, and a plan to open a weekly flea market that would donate space rental fees to community nonprofits with an initial 12-week start up seed money of $12,130.

Some manning booths at the exposition were new converts to their projects, and even new to the city -- like five-month Vallejo resident Hernán Luduena Segre who fell in love with his neighborhood's Mira Guild Theatre.

Others like Solano AIDS Coalition president Mario Saucedo and his flea market, and Myrna Hayes, with a laundry list of help for the Mare Island Shoreline Heritage Preserve, backed issues that have been near and dear to their hearts for years.

Hayes, working on in a joint proposal also seeking funding for the Mare Island Historic Park Foundation, said other parks in Vallejo receive dedicated tax backing through the Greater Vallejo Recreation District. However, the two volunteer-run Mare Island efforts have no steady revenue source.

Some projects offered to use existing resources in improved ways, like investing $80,000 to replace the Mira Guild Theatre's roof, so that the historic building can continue not only providing theater productions, but community center rentals, Luduena Segre said.

Several Vallejo students explained the benefits of investing $275,000 in the Vallejo school district's S.T.E.A.M.(science, technology, engineering, art, mathematics) programing as good for youth and adults alike. The funding would add new supplies to help improve students' later employability, those manning the booth said.

"We're the ones that are going to take care of you when you get older," Jesse Bethel 11th grader Jenny Aguiar said, pitching her project.

Economic development, public safety, youth, job training for Spanish-speakers and parks and recreation, among other topics, also filled out the project gamut.

Ideas for the proposed projects, whittled down to just 36, sprang from hundreds pitched by the community in a series of public assemblies in the fall.
Kurshan blows a rod

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Wow! The community that pays the bills now has some control over how our tax dollars are spent. Good old boys ain't liking this! Boo mutha f'n hoo:-( Time for city employees (not all mind you) but those who care nothing for the citizens to take note. Vallejo is changing and city employees getting on board for the betterment of this city will eventually even benefit them.
WTF

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Kurshan blows a rod wrote:
Wow! The community that pays the bills now has some control over how our tax dollars are spent. Good old boys ain't liking this! Boo mutha f'n hoo:-( Time for city employees (not all mind you) but those who care nothing for the citizens to take note. Vallejo is changing and city employees getting on board for the betterment of this city will eventually even benefit them.
Keep telling yourself that and maybe it will come true! What are you going to do about the human cockroaches all over town? Throw some fairy dust on them and do an anti ghetto dance? You're nuts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Martinez News Video

•••
Martinez Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Martinez Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••