Proposed Vallejo waterfront brewpub's...

Proposed Vallejo waterfront brewpub's permit under discussion

Posted in the Martinez Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#1 Nov 29, 2013
Proposed Vallejo waterfront brewpub's permit under discussion
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_2462...

A proposed new brewpub and microbrewery with its sights set on the Vallejo waterfront may move a step closer to fruition next week.

The Planning Commission will consider on Monday night approving a major use permit for the Mare Island Brewing Company, LLC -- one of two businesses with the same name simultaneously moving forward in Vallejo.

The new business, which would include food items, wine and beer tasting and sales seven days a week, would employ about four people initially. Applicant Kent Fortner's plan calls for using a corner of the Ferry Terminal -- including an outdoor seating area and access to the upstairs viewing area, which have not had tenants for years.

City Planning Division staff has received no public comment on the proposed permit, said advertising for Monday's public hearing.

Fortner's project also is being encouraged by city staff to potentially "add vitality and energy to the Vallejo Waterfront," according to a report to the Planning Commission.

The Vallejo City Council approved an agreement in August with Fortner for space at the Vallejo Ferry Terminal building, contingent on the lease. The move also follows recent modification to the city zoning code to allow such businesses on the waterfront and Mare Island.

Frank Ma, owner of the second business with the same name -- Mare Island Brewing Company -- secured commission approval in September to open a tasting room and microbrewery in north Mare Island. At the September meeting, commissioners were directed by city staff not to discuss the fact that two businesses with the same name were moving toward opening in Vallejo at the same time.
obama is an effing liar

Vallejo, CA

#2 Nov 29, 2013
Can't you just see it now? fight's, robberies, bums all around, that should be good for the pub business
Wrong Again

Vacaville, CA

#3 Nov 29, 2013
great idea, make it happen, bring people to spend money, waterfront has lots of potential to thrive
Paid well

Vallejo, CA

#4 Nov 29, 2013
I would love to see a brew pub open. We regularly have to travel to go to these places... 21st amendment, Speakeasy, and of course the Beach Chalet near Golden Gate Park. It would be nice to be able to spend our money here and not have to travel. There are lots of great local beers ( Speakeasy, Anchor steam)

The neighborhood needs an anchor that caters to the people it needs, not the people it needs to get rid of. There are enough smoke shops in that area and really mediocre food. Would be nice to have a place to get good beer locally.

If we can get a good anchor and other businesses can cluster around it, then it may give a reason for people who don't live here to come and spend money. Right now, no one from outside Vallejo comes here for quality food , drink or shopping in a safe happy environment. We just don't have those things. But sadly, plenty of people from Vallejo travel to other towns to get quality food and drink.

We will go to SF for burmese, Napa for wine and good food , Berkeley for food and live music, Benicia for dinner and a walk. If we want to walk without bumping into lowlife ghetto people and have a good meal worth paying for, right now, we have to get in our car and drive.

Mare Island is a better location because it's away from the scuzzy subsidized housing of the downtown which is where the criminals live.
The answer is more police

United States

#5 Nov 29, 2013
The answer is more police.
GEE

Vacaville, CA

#6 Nov 29, 2013
The issue appears not "IF" we should allow a business to open within the Ferry Building, but the use of identical names of 2 businesses with similar intentions, but different locations. It also appears that we are approaching this issue at an odd angle, with the council approving something with an entity whose business name has not yet been clearly established.

Who actually secured this particular business name first, would be my question. Could the mainland business add one additional identifier i.e. M.I. STRAIT Brewing Co...? But I suppose that would be too simplistic!

How difficult can it be to come to an agreement, especially since the mainland business will obviously not produce anything at the Ferry Building location, but the M.I. business may and serve their goods on the premises where the brew is produced, on the island!

GEE

Vacaville, CA

#7 Nov 29, 2013
I do agree with post #4 to a certain extent, however for a real Brew Pub to function fully and successfully, the Ferry Building location is too limiting, space wise. At best, it may become a Quick Stop and not a place to linger and enjoy.

May I point out that Anchor Steam Beer is not a "local" brewery, but is located in S.F.
If artesian non-locally produced beers are preferred they can be had literally in every supermarket or BevMo.

However, with a name like Mare Island Brewing Company, I would presume the product would have its origin on M.I. Having an actual local "Vallejo" brewery keeping the commitment to the artisan brewing art form would and could become a destination.

The Mare Island location with its historic back drop would be preferable to the Ferry Building location, unless the actual product could be included in the offerings at both facilities.

Is it possible both gentlemen could see a business opportunity in all of this?
obama is an effing liar

Vallejo, CA

#8 Nov 29, 2013
GEE wrote:
The issue appears not "IF" we should allow a business to open within the Ferry Building, but the use of identical names of 2 businesses with similar intentions, but different locations. It also appears that we are approaching this issue at an odd angle, with the council approving something with an entity whose business name has not yet been clearly established.
Who actually secured this particular business name first, would be my question. Could the mainland business add one additional identifier i.e. M.I. STRAIT Brewing Co...? But I suppose that would be too simplistic!
How difficult can it be to come to an agreement, especially since the mainland business will obviously not produce anything at the Ferry Building location, but the M.I. business may and serve their goods on the premises where the brew is produced, on the island!
anything with the word "STRAIT" in it [think Boy Scouts] will be sued outta business by the you know what's !
ben dover folks

Vallejo, CA

#9 Nov 29, 2013
the community should protest this move by the housing and redev commission to graft on to hud funds to improve north mare island. once we let them in up there, who knows what will follow.
look at the language in the agenda item.

"The City of Vallejo continues to have an interest in the re-use and development of the northern section of the former Mare Island Naval Shipyard. There are currently several buildings on North Mare Island that need to be demolished in order to proceed with new development. One of the options to complete this activity would be for the City to apply for a federal Section 108 loan from HUD.
This program allows cities to borrow money for various land-readiness purposes using future federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program funding allocations as guarantees on the loan.

this tells me there is interest for section 8 housing up there. please tell me i am wrong.
Wise Guy

Vallejo, CA

#10 Nov 29, 2013
I don't believe high density housing is in the plan for North Mare Island, but that is a curious agenda item. I need more information on this deal.
LaSquisha

United States

#11 Nov 29, 2013
It's Section 108, not Section 8. HUD stands for housing and urban development; I think this type of project would fall under the 'urban development' part. Far as I know no low-income or subsidized housing is planned for north MI, if only because Lennar would give them holy hell for it. Additionally, though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to put actual housing on that land; it's very swampy and problematic marshfill. Industrial uses may be simplier to build for, less requirements to satisfy. Think of the Sinking Garage.

It certainly pays to research further with our sketchy city staff, though. Quite a few employees' salaries are paid through HUD money, so they have a vested interest in keeping us ghetto-friendly.

Far as the brewery goes, why not call it the Vallejo Brewing Company? or Carquinez Brewing Company, if Vallejo is a dirty word.

As for the
king jon minion

Vallejo, CA

#12 Nov 30, 2013
this is a giant red flag, hud wants us to be indebted to them for this loan to tear down the rest of the buildings that we don't have money for. then what? hud is not in the business of industrial development. fortunately, this idea would have to go to council and be blown off the earth. the end.
Paid well

Vallejo, CA

#13 Nov 30, 2013
HUD does not automatically mean low income housing . It also means incentives for minority and women owned businesses to open. Before you equate that with ghetto , remember Performance Contracting is a minority 8 A business with offices nationwide http://m.pcg.com/about.htm . And yes , they are on Mare Island and employ hundreds of people. The HuD zone ends at Tennessee. By developing and creating businesses within HUD zones there are rewards for creating jobs especially if you contract for the federal government.
It doesn't mean more ghetto people on an otherwise lovely waterfront. That was the city's stupidity. The nationwide HUD zones have been mapped for years.

“Here's a interesting thought..”

Since: May 12

Vallejo

#14 Nov 30, 2013
LaSquisha wrote:
, why not call it the Vallejo Brewing Company? or Carquinez Brewing Company, if Vallejo is a dirty word.
As for the
Because they don't want to call it that Sammy. It's nobody but the owners who matter or get to name THEIR business. Want to name it, spend your our money and open one of your own. Oh sorry, forgot that felons can't get a liquor license and you don't have any money anyway.
LaSquisha

United States

#15 Dec 1, 2013
Casper the internet ghost wrote:
<quoted text> Because they don't want to call it that Sammy. It's nobody but the owners who matter or get to name THEIR business. Want to name it, spend your our money and open one of your own. Oh sorry, forgot that felons can't get a liquor license and you don't have any money anyway.
Read my posts, you rudenik. I am clearly not Sam. Or are you the one who drinks before posting? Some of you Sam haters are almost as obnoxious as he is. ALMOST. It would be difficult to surpass that sweaty, loudmouthed troll. He is an embarrassment to this city. Do everyone a favor and stop emulating his tactics.
king jon minion

Vallejo, CA

#16 Dec 1, 2013
casper is tony pearsall, he has no restraint after a drink or two, plus whatever.

Vallejo

#17 Dec 1, 2013
LaSquisha wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my posts, you rudenik. I am clearly not Sam. Or are you the one who drinks before posting? Some of you Sam haters are almost as obnoxious as he is. ALMOST. It would be difficult to surpass that sweaty, loudmouthed troll. He is an embarrassment to this city. Do everyone a favor and stop emulating his tactics.
Of course your not Sam, my comment still stands though. You want to name a business, put up your own money and open one.

Vallejo

#18 Dec 1, 2013
king jon minion wrote:
casper is tony pearsall, he has no restraint after a drink or two, plus whatever.
And you have no restraint after a hit of crack or whatever. At least what I do is legal butt breath!
king jon minion

Vallejo, CA

#19 Dec 1, 2013
including your famous stoned drive? oh that's right, you forgot how much dope you took, rat boy.
Anon

Vallejo, CA

#20 Dec 1, 2013
Casper the internet ghost wrote:
<quoted text> And you have no restraint after a hit of crack or whatever. At least what I do is legal butt breath!
Great argument! The FD UBL was legal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Groups opposed to south Vallejo project holding... 53 min Wanglow 28
One California Democrat Admits He's Tired of Tr... 54 min 73 per cent 3
Vallejo commission meeting cancelled after angr... 2 hr Sammy Sezz 13
News Milo Yiannopoulos, Larry Wilmore go head-to-hea... 4 hr RustyS 2
News King's legacy celebrated as Trump, Lewis duel l... 9 hr Dudley 407
Orcem to get green light at 2/27 Planning Commi... 20 hr 45 year old paperboy 53
Feds delay decision on $650 million California ... 21 hr uncle Bill 3

Martinez Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Martinez Mortgages