Mayors go on transportation lobbying ...

Mayors go on transportation lobbying trip

Posted in the Martinez Forum

Vallejo, CA

#1 Jun 21, 2013
Mayors go on transportation lobbying trip

Solano County’s mayors spent the past three days in Washington, D.C., trying to draw federal attention to local transportation needs.

They brought with them the Solano Transportation Authority’s “2013 Report to Congress.” They hope Congress will respond with money.

The Fairfield-Vacaville train station construction; the Fairfield transportation center expansion; new Jepson Parkway segments that link Suisun City, Fairfield and Vacaville; the Interstates 80 and 680 interchange renovation; and the westbound Interstate 80 trucks scales relocation are some of the projects on the local wish list.

For Fairfield Mayor Harry Price, a priority is getting a $9 million federal grant for the proposed Fairfield-Vacaville train station near Vanden and Peabody roads. That would provide the final bit of funding for the $65 million project, allowing the city to build features that otherwise might have to wait until another phase.

Price said he talked to Rep. John Garamendi, D-Walnut Grove, and a representative for U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer, among others. The city should know this summer or fall if it gets the grant, he said.

Fairfield in 2011 and 2012 unsuccessfully competed in the same federal transportation grant program to get $12 million for the train station. But Price said he liked what he heard this week in Washington, D.C.

“We’re very optimistic,” he said Thursday in a phone interview from Ronald Reagan National Airport.

The contingent also drew attention to federal Buy America Act changes that threaten to delay the Green Valley interchange project along I-80. Pacific Gas & Electric Co. has been unable to perform utility relocations using only materials made in the United States, as the Buy America Act requires.

If PG&E can demonstrate a gas valve needed for the project is not available in this country, a waiver may be possible, Price said.

Also making the trip to Washington, D.C., were Vacaville Mayor Steve Hardy, Vallejo Mayor Osby Davis, Benicia Mayor Elizabeth Patterson, Dixon Mayor Jack Batchelor and Rio Vista Mayor Norman Richardson. All are on the Solano Transportation Authority Board of Directors. Suisun City Mayor Pete Sanchez did not make the trip.

Others on the trip were Daryl Halls, Janet Adams and Jayne Bauer of the Solano Transportation Authority, Solano Economic Development Corp. President Sandy Person and Fairfield City Engineer Steve Hartwig.
Looking Up

United States

#3 Jul 7, 2013
How did this go? Was there a follow up story about what was accomplished
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

#4 Jul 7, 2013
From the rumors I've heard.... There was nothing accomplished, but a nice trip at tax payer's expense. Heard they will give a positive report, but will have nothing to really show.
Bald Fat man in a Hula

Vallejo, CA

#5 Jul 7, 2013
The Mayor got his motorcycle stolen a while back... I guess he needs us to pay for his transportation needs now.

*(t)urd enragement!

Vallejo, CA

#6 Jul 8, 2013
Notice there are no projects on the plate for Vallejo. Davis is too incompetent to have a transportation vision to present.

Vallejo, CA

#7 Jul 8, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
Notice there are no projects on the plate for Vallejo. Davis is too incompetent to have a transportation vision to present.
Don't you remember? Mayor Davis about two months ago had that BART Director address the City Council during the presentations section about his vision for BART maybe coming to Vallejo - BART stations possibly at Curtola Park & Ride and at Solano360 Fairgrounds. How does that help the SolTrans bus and WETA ferry? Wouldn't BART coming to Vallejo actually hurt both rather than help both?
Wrong Again

Vacaville, CA

#8 Jul 8, 2013
he is entitled!! what about his burned up building that has been sitting in its state for over 6 months. I would think that since he is the mayor he would lead by example and have his building fixed or demoed. par for the course.

we don't need more $200k buses for 7 people to ride. complete waste of money. definitely don't need a train station
Bald Fat man in a Hula wrote:
The Mayor got his motorcycle stolen a while back... I guess he needs us to pay for his transportation needs now.
*(t)urd enragement!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Martinez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mountain View Music Thread (May '15) 33 min Musikologist 4
Travis AFB 4 hr thats about right 1
Police: Object found outside a Vallejo gym was ... 4 hr the digger 5
Mare Island Cemetery 8 hr A Thought 16
War on Puerto Rico? 9 hr A Thought 4
Dan Noyes: Did that happen? 10 hr Capt Selfie 41
Students Rejected From A UC Or CSU Are Leaving ... 10 hr truth 2

Martinez Jobs

Personal Finance

Martinez Mortgages