Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2014

Vallejo turns to TV ads to recruit local officers
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_2540...

Don't be surprised if you start seeing ads on TV about joining the Vallejo Police Department.

Department officials want more of its force -- which is actively rebuilding after the bankruptcy and recession seriously depleted its ranks -- live locally, Lt. Sid DeJesus said.

DeJesus is charged with recruiting these new officers as well as other employees.

"I think it's going to be an important tool to recruit the people we're looking for," he said of the TV ad. "What we're trying to accomplish is to get this organization back on its feet with the best and brightest candidates who are eager and willing to serve the citizens of Vallejo."

While always seeking candidates who are from Vallejo, finding the best qualified is job one, he said.

"The great thing is through our recruitment efforts, we have been able to get qualified candidates who are from Vallejo, currently reside in Vallejo, and who plan on making Vallejo their home," he said.

"I have authorization to fill 22 more positions, 110 officers, with four additional from a grant, which will bring us to 114. I am also hopeful through additional funding, the mayor and City Council will entertain the idea of allowing to hire an additional 20 officers beyond that."

Hired to produce the TV campaign is San Rafael-based production company, 32Ten Studios, whose CEO, Tim Partridge, is making his directorial debut on this effort. The firm has created non-computer generated special effects for such major Hollywood motion pictures as "Pacific Rim," "Elysium," "The Lone Ranger" and "Noah," Partridge said.

Though DeJesus is unwilling to disclose what the new ad will cost until he sees the finished product, Partridge said the firm is donating its time and only charging for its direct costs because the filmmakers consider all police, especially the Vallejo department, their heroes and this effort their civic duty.

"We have an existing relationship with Vallejo Police Department. They've been to our San Rafael studio for some training exercises and other events, which we offer offer free," he said. "They approached us and said they're doing a recruiting drive to try to rebuild the force; they asked and we said yes."

The company, named for its building which once housed George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic, developed three concepts for the ad, based on the department's key elements and what they're seeking in candidates, he said.

"(Department) top brass told us it's an exciting and busy department, that it's very close-knight, like a family, that they field over 200 calls a day and need people who are ready to hit the ground running," Partridge said. "They need the best and the brightest."

The ad will show the department's various teams in action, he said.

Traffic cops dealing with a crash, K-9 officers, SWAT, dispatchers and others will all be featured, he said.

Partridge said he expects Vallejo's ad to be delivered by mid-April and DeJesus says it will run on cable locally and nationally and, possibly at local theaters.
ted

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2014

Judged:

how many times have we been told recruiting was going well, no problems, etc.? now a broadcast media campaign of unknown cost is being implemented to try and spur more applicants. you just cannot trust anything coming from city hall bureaucrats that take our money and leave town.
Not a shocker

Vacaville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2014

Judged:

ted wrote:
how many times have we been told recruiting was going well, no problems, etc.? now a broadcast media campaign of unknown cost is being implemented to try and spur more applicants. you just cannot trust anything coming from city hall bureaucrats that take our money and leave town.
I will bet Sgt dejesus will be in this. He is very self absorbed. He always has to be in the spotlight
ted

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2014

Judged:

just saw a breaking story where san jose pd only had 29 applicants for a 60 recruit academy class starting in may. wonder what is causing the absence of interest? chuck "pension slasher" reed?
ted

Benicia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2014

Judged:

it's starting to become inconveniently clear that cities with factions attacking public pensions are not doing well in recruiting for police.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Martinez News Video

•••
Martinez Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Martinez Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••